Films that have personal significance to you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Which movies have special meaning to you, played a significant role in your life or do you have you have a personal connection/association with?

For example, the original Star Wars trilogy played a large part in shaping my interest in film as a young child and it spurred my imagination countless times. I can feel the nostalgia when I watch those films and they'll always have that special meaning for me.

Another example would be Eternal Sunshine, which I saw after getting dumped by a past girlfriend, so part of me can't help associating it with that time in my life.

So yeah, anyway I was just wondering which movies hold meaninful value to you and why?

Vvendeta
Rocky, because the man go agianst the odds, and i like to be like that

The empire strike back, the teachings of DMaster Yoga, "Do or do not, there is no try" and such, he was ruined in the prequels to me.

i got many but i will put only those.

speiderman
One film I would have to say would be "Cypher". I like the dystopian feel that the movie has. I relate to the main character in that sometimes I have problems with my self-confidence and so does he.

Another film is one that I grew up with; I would say "Raiders of the Lost Ark" . My younger brother and I would watch it like twice a month on the weekends when we were younger. It got me interested in my life passion which is the study of history. I really believe that movie inspired me.

Messahi
Evil Dead. My father went to school with all of the guys that did this one. He actually help create some of the original scenes that never made it to final cut. But I guess the project started at MSU, so their was two versions. School/Theater.

Kovacs86
Taxi Driver had a pretty profound affect on me. Fight Club, to a slightly less extent, too.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Taxi Driver had a pretty profound affect on me. Fight Club, to a slightly less extent, too.

Mind explaining what those affects were/are? Just curious.

MildPossession
I hate that you have such a cool Father, and I'm jealous stick out tongue

Toku King
"Spider-Man" introduced me to comics.

Wanderer11
Like the OP Star Wars had a big impact on my childhood. They really got me interested in films. I would also put forward Superman The Movie. Without this film I do not think that I would have had such a profound love of comic books.
Also, the Carry On films were a big part of my childhood as they were freely available and I think that without them I would not now have a love affair with comedies from the past.

siriuswriter
Life is Beautiful.

i know this will sound cheesy, cheesy, and more cheesy, but that movie got me through a lot of things...

Mairuzu
Pineapple express...

kidding of course. I'll be back with a serious answer once i think of it, ive seen too many movies.

Impediment
American Beauty.

I learned that beauty can be found if you look close enough. That, and life is what you make of it.

BackFire
And Thora Birch's rack.

K.Canton
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Fight Club, to a slightly less extent, too.http://www.tracker-analytics.com/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

I found Fight Club to be pretty significant for me as well. I had read the book and greatly enjoyed it, but there's just something more visceral about seeing a story on screen (sometimes). The film really made me see life from another perspective, and I think I put a lot more thought into every day situations now.

Rain Dog
American Beauty, same reasons as Impediment.

Sado22
V for Vendetta-
cynical, anarchist, violent and yet best capturing the human condition when subjucated to the vices of religion, politics, culture and government........nothing gets better than Alan Moore when the confused, battered, restrained rebel within you needs a wake up call. "There is god in the rain"

Rocky-
it got me hooked to boxing. And anyone whose ever seen this movie doesn't even need me to start talking about "heart" and the true underdog cinderella story. "Yo Adrian! I did it!"

Reality Bites-
nothing else ever brought out postmodernism, cultural nomadism and the identity crisis of generation x better than this movie "I'm under no obligation to make the world a better place."

Legends of the Fall-
mainly because an old man once told me that people like me either end up becoming legends or become mad....so you can imagine my shock when i heard the same line in the beginning of the movie. small wonder because all people who really know me say I'm just like Tristan...minus the blonde haired, pretty boy good looks. "God damn you god! god damn you! sad

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-
in a word: mindblowing. Randy McMurphy will forever be the underdog hedonist who in showing the importance of freedom, happiness and sex became the Jesus Christ of the 21st century. misguided women who think they are feminists but aren't will complain about the treatment of women in this novel/movie but as is often the case with these wannabes, they are missing the big picture. "Where's my crown of thorns?"

Anime:
Fist of the Northstar-
this is where anime began for me so it will always be special. not to mention that 15 years later and this anime is still the most violent one i've ever seen. "ATATATATATATA....ATAAA!!!"

Ninja Scroll
there is just something about it that I can't place. but god I love this anime. "GENMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's door
like the series.....simply epic. "I thought i was watching a dream, i couldn't wake up from."

~Sado

Kovacs86
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Mind explaining what those affects were/are? Just curious.

Something about the characters spoke to me quite a lot. It's almost scary how one can almost relate (maybe that's the wrong word, but certainly empathise with/ understand) to Travis Bickle. He's really an incredible creation (from Schreider or whatever the writer's name was, Scorsese and De Niro). The idea of loneliness is expressed in that film in a way that I think many, many people can relate to. Or maybe I'm just a **** up...

Master Crimzon
Nah, you're perfectly sane. I also fantasize about hyper-violence and self-destruction when I get lonely; my therapist tells me its healthy for the soul.

Oh wait...

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
And Thora Birch's rack.

And.....yes....for the luscious boobs of a teenager, too. no expression

LordPrydon
Return of the Jedi
Superman II
Rob Zombie's Halloween
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master
to name a few that affected me in some way or other

MildPossession
Ah is the Halloween remake because you met the boy in it?

May I ask why Dream Master is significant to you?

LordPrydon
Basically half, on the Halloween question. The film was the first of the series I saw in theater and then I met Daeg. I dare say I had a crush on him.

The Dream Master is significant because it was the first time I watched an Elm St. film when I was 14 years old and it just had a huge impact on me from the soundtrack to the story and the message of the idea that one can use their powers to stop bad dreams and evil influences therein.
Hope that makes a little sense. I just got up!

Dr Will Hatch
Fight Club was the first movie that absolutly blew me away and enhanced my opinion of film as an art form.

MildPossession
It did, cheers. smile

LordPrydon
Thanks! Your too kind. XD

ThunderGodEneru
Debbie Does Dallas.

Sado22
what?

Quincy
OT Star Wars, A New Hope in particular.

It really got me into fantasy as a child, and I still long for adventure. It was the first movie to really "take me somewhere" and I've been hooked on that feeling for a long time since.

Which obviously leads into Indiana Jones.

My Han Solo fan-ness lead me into Indiana Jones, and I used to love to pretend I was Indy with his whip and I'd run around outside and do all that great boyhood stuff.

There is also:

Akira
LOTR
The Truman Show

Kovacs86
Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Nah, you're perfectly sane. I also fantasize about hyper-violence and self-destruction when I get lonely; my therapist tells me its healthy for the soul.

Oh wait...

I hope that you understand what I'm saying. No, of course I'm not just like Travis Bickle (and never was). However, just like many great characters in film, Travis Bickle is an extreme. Many people have felt like him (and even been in some similar situations- no, I'm not referring to walking into a brothel and murdering several people, though there are real people like that in the world, who are very much like Travis Bickle, I'm sure). It's a film that is considered great, I think, largely because so many people understand and almost relate to the character. Supposedly it is semi-autobiographical (of Paul Schrader/ Schreider- Christ, I don't know what the guy's name is, it could be something completely different) and (hell, maybe you're not old enough to grasp this- and yeah, that was condescending) lots of people are lonely, struggle to express their feelings and to control destructive urges.

I really hope that makes sense. And I did possibly just overreact to a comment that was not, perhaps, wholely serious...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.