The Neverending Story Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVapor
I have wanted a remake for this ever since I read the book and found out how much deeper and more interesting it was when compared to the movie. My one fear has been that it would be done by a group of hacks, but with the people who did "Benjamin Button" behind this, I can not honestly see this remake being bad, or doing bad.

Whether or not you liked Burton's Chocolate Factory, it was far truer to the book than the original. Still I like both versions, and it could prove to be the same in this case.

Blinky
F*cking awesome. I feel the same way about the 80's movie, it was a disgrace to the book. The book wasn't nearly as childish and cheesey. The book was pretty philosophical and epic, I hope that this comes true in the remake. BTW they need to make two or three movies to really show the depth of the book.

Bardock42
I thought the first was pretty good. And the second alright.

Not close to the book though, certainly.

leonheartmm
remakes are in season. i hope they dont screw it up. i loved the original. havent read the books seeing as its in german or sumthing.

TheVapor
Originally posted by Blinky
F*cking awesome. I feel the same way about the 80's movie, it was a disgrace to the book. The book wasn't nearly as childish and cheesey. The book was pretty philosophical and epic, I hope that this comes true in the remake. BTW they need to make two or three movies to really show the depth of the book.

I'm glad I'm not the only one supporting this. Most people are just flying off the handle with "Not another remake!", or "This will ruin my childhood!"They're completely overreacting before they even see a trailer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I could definately see them wanting to make a trilogy, just because of the marketability, but I think that it could be easily done in just two movies. The original was 1:52 in length and covered up to half-way through the book, and if you add "nuances" it would probably be just 2:10 at the longest. So two movies should do just fine.

As far as the music, the Limahl theme for it, while I like it a lot, is dated and doesn't have anything to do with the actual story, so it can go. The "Falcor Flying" theme MUST stay though, because it is iconic, captivating, thrilling, and just fits the feeling of everything so well.

Okay, on the subject of actors/actresses, I could definately see them going for the "fresh face" approach with most of the younger characters, but in the case of Coreander and Gmork, I think they should bring in a seasoned veteran.

Who would you have?

edit:
There is an english version of the book. I'm glad there is an English version because I wouldn't have been able to read it otherwise!

SnakeEyes
This is one franchise where no one can ever get angry over the amount of remakes and/or sequels... just look at the title!!

TheVapor
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
This is one franchise where no one can ever get angry over the amount of remakes and/or sequels... just look at the title!!

Considering Friday the 13th is up to 12 films, and Godzilla has 28, I'd have to say that they are more like neverending stories. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Really though, that pun has been old since 1984, and most of the people making the pun don't even know why it's called the Neverending Story.

LordPrydon
I'm suprised they are making another one of these! I remember the original and it's not as popular sequel from the good old days.

BackFire
The original is one of my favorite films of all time. I can already assume that the remake will probably have solid special effects but miss the personal story and the entire point, as remakes usually do.

LordPrydon
The original is a classic. I don't remember enough of the sequel(s) to know what they were about or how good they are.Wasn't one in animated form?

Wanderer11
I was pleasantly surprised to hear about this. I loved the first one and i really hope that they do a fantastic job on the remake.

LordPrydon
I hope they make proper bit responsible use of CGI for this. The possibilities are...endless.

TheVapor
Originally posted by BackFire
The original is one of my favorite films of all time. I can already assume that the remake will probably have solid special effects but miss the personal story and the entire point, as remakes usually do.

Since their entire point for making this is to extol the "nuances" from the book that were left out of the original movie, it's actually going to further the personal story and point more than the original did! wink

Plus, one of the original's producers will be returning for this, and like I said it's from the people who did "Benjamin Button" which was also an adaptation .

I honestly have more faith in this remake than any other I have been/currently am hyped for.

LordPrydon
It should be great!

BackFire
Originally posted by TheVapor
Since their entire point for making this is to extol the "nuances" from the book that were left out of the original movie, it's actually going to further the personal story and point more than the original did! wink

Plus, one of the original's producers will be returning for this, and like I said it's from the people who did "Benjamin Button" which was also an adaptation .

I honestly have more faith in this remake than any other I have been/currently am hyped for.

That's the kinda pretentious mumbo jumbo they say about every remake, and then they always end up doing the opposite.

A producer returning from the original means nothing. Many crap remakes have someone coming back from the original and it still sucks, because a producer isn't the one who is mostly responsible for the quality, it has to be a perfect unified vision between all involved.

It could be good if they get a solid director. If they got Fincher or something then I'd be pretty excited, other than that I'll remain highly skeptical.

LordPrydon
Back Fire has a point.

TheVapor
I understand a good producer doesn't equal a good movie, but a producer can have a lot of power in the movie making process. For example, I've heard that at 20th Century Fox, their producers are pretty tight and make changes to the movies all of the time, even though the creative direction should be in the directors hands.

While this is WB, not Fox, I'm sure the reason why they brought one of the original producers back was to ensure that the remake didn't lose any of the originals "feel" which made it iconic.

Blinky
The 80's movie was a disgrace to the book, period. Anybody who read and loved the book would realize what I mean. I enjoy the 80's movie still, to a certain degree, because it's nostalgic value and it's music. As a movie, not comparing it to the book, it was a nice fantasy film. Unfortunately the book was just to great and epic to be compared to the extremely childish presentation of the two movies. Think of all the adventures left out, all the emotions and all of beautiful mindscapes the book gave the readers. The first movie did a decent (to be nice) job of covering about 1/3 of the book. The second movie IMO was just plain out horrible. I really am looking forward to this movie and I really hope that they capture the complexity and depth of the book (which neither movie cam even CLOSE to doing). As long as they try to stay true to the book they can't go wrong.

Bardock42
The 80's movie was a disgrace to the book, period. Anybody who read and loved the book would realize what I mean. I enjoy the 80's movie still, to a certain degree, because it's nostalgic value and it's music. As a movie, not comparing it to the book, it was a nice fantasy film. Unfortunately the book was just to great and epic to be compared to the extremely childish presentation of the two movies. Think of all the adventures left out, all the emotions and all of beautiful mindscapes the book gave the readers. The first movie did a decent (to be nice) job of covering about 1/3 of the book. The second movie IMO was just plain out horrible. I really am looking forward to this movie and I really hope that they capture the complexity and depth of the book (which neither movie cam even CLOSE to doing). As long as they try to stay true to the book they can't go wrong. I don't know, I think the second movie included a lot of the ideas of the second half of the book, what with him losing his memories etc. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the first, but they at least tried to take their direction from the book.

TheVapor
The 80's movie was a disgrace to the book, period. Anybody who read and loved the book would realize what I mean. I enjoy the 80's movie still, to a certain degree, because it's nostalgic value and it's music. As a movie, not comparing it to the book, it was a nice fantasy film. Unfortunately the book was just to great and epic to be compared to the extremely childish presentation of the two movies. Think of all the adventures left out, all the emotions and all of beautiful mindscapes the book gave the readers. The first movie did a decent (to be nice) job of covering about 1/3 of the book. The second movie IMO was just plain out horrible. I really am looking forward to this movie and I really hope that they capture the complexity and depth of the book (which neither movie cam even CLOSE to doing). As long as they try to stay true to the book they can't go wrong.

Agreed. The book makes so much more sense than the movie when you think about it. It makes more sense for Bastian to scream at Ygramul than at Morla. That scene always confused me. Artax's death made more sense when he could actually tell Atreyu how he was feeling.

Granted, things like Ygramul would have been extremely difficult back then with their technology. Still the movie lost a lot of the books messages, and this couldn't be more poignant than in the scene where Gmork is describing to Atreyu what the Nothing is, and how it works.

Bardock42, yes the the 2nd movie did at least take its direction from the 2nd half of the book, but everything was presented even more poorly than it was in the 1st movie.

to actually translate the whole book into a movie it would have to be split into parts. I think the first movie would have to end around the same point as the original movie. it would go likethis; Bastian and the Empress are talking after he has given her her new name, and Bastian makes his first wish for the forest, then the camera would pan back from his amazed face and show the forest growing exponentially. The a narrarator would say "So Bastian had made his first wish, and there would be many more wishes yet to follow, and more adventures in the land of Fantasia. But that is another story, and will be told another time."
Or something like that. big grin

CadoAngelus
it'll be interesting to see how they do it. i loved The Neverending story films, more the first one than the other two...

should be good *hopes*

MildPossession
Remakes are nothing new, they have been 'in season' for a few years now where they are churning them out.

As for this film, use to love it when I was little, but saw it a few months ago and did find it rather cheesy, just hope they get a good actor for the lead in the fantasy bits, he was rather wooden. Forgotten the name of the horse riding boy. I welcome a remake if it follows and puts more of the book into the film compared to the original film, and some excellent CGI effects.

TheVapor
Who thinks that the creatures should be done by Weta? I'd honestly prefer the creatures to be people in believable costumes than just pure CGI maybe Gmork]

Mindset
I hope I get cast as the lead character

S_D_J
Originally posted by TheVapor
Agreed. The book makes so much more sense than the movie when you think about it. It makes more sense for Bastian to scream at Ygramul than at Morla. That scene always confused me. Artax's death made more sense when he could actually tell Atreyu how he was feeling.

Granted, things like Ygramul would have been extremely difficult back then with their technology. Still the movie lost a lot of the books messages, and this couldn't be more poignant than in the scene where Gmork is describing to Atreyu what the Nothing is, and how it works.

Bardock42, yes the the 2nd movie did at least take its direction from the 2nd half of the book, but everything was presented even more poorly than it was in the 1st movie.

to actually translate the whole book into a movie it would have to be split into parts. I think the first movie would have to end around the same point as the original movie. it would go likethis; Bastian and the Empress are talking after he has given her her new name, and Bastian makes his first wish for the forest, then the camera would pan back from his amazed face and show the forest growing exponentially. The a narrarator would say "So Bastian had made his first wish, and there would be many more wishes yet to follow, and more adventures in the land of Fantasia. But that is another story, and will be told another time."
Or something like that. big grin

I never read the book... I might go look it up now... but the original movie is one of the movies I remember most fondly from my childhood... love the "Falcor" theme and everything else in that movie

I remember crying my eyes out when Artax died... didn't read the book, but how it was done in the movie, it still worked for me...

the second one was bad though (even though I was only 9 when I saw it, I still didn't like it) it was more epic though.

I don't know about the remake.. somehow I get the feeling they will focus on big CGI thingies instead of the actual story, kinda like it was with the second movie erm

TheVapor
I can see why there's some concern for this remake. I heard that Friday the 13th was supposed to be really good , and then I heard from people who saw it that it was only average.

Until we get the official announcement of Director, Screenwriter, and Cast, our opinion on this could go either way, but once they are set in stone than it should be pretty clear where this movie is going to go.

Does anybody have any ideas on who you think the director should be? Steven Spielberg has the original Auryn prop in a glass case at his residence, but he is too busy with other projects up through 2011, so he might not get it.

Till then, a treat for anyone who wants to reminisce wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Af1lZXioY

TwilightxGirl
So am they completely starting it from back to the beginning or doing a completely different story for it without sebastian.

TwilightxGirl
meant Bastian

TheVapor
This movie will go back to the beginning. It is going to follow the book more faithfully, which mean Bastian, Atreyu, Falkor, Gmork, and the rest will be back.

TwilightxGirl
yeah I hope so as well so who would you want to see playing Bastian then ?

TheVapor
I'm actually hoping for a talented unknown. Actually I want all three of the kids to be unknowns, and let the rest of the cast be the veterans. I could kinda see the guy from the Matrix and LoTR doing G'morks voice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.