Green Lantern: First Flight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raoul
Didn't see a thread for this, so...

Yahoo! Movies has debuted the new trailer for Green Lantern: First Flight, which hits DVD and Blu-ray Disc on July 28. The animated film is a co-production of Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation.

Christopher Meloni fills the lead voice of Hal Jordan aka Green Lantern. Meloni is joined by fellow Emmy Award nominee Victor Garber as the villainous Sinestro, Tricia Helfer as the voice of Boodikka, and Michael Madsen as Kilowog.

Produced by animation legend Bruce Timm, Green Lantern: First Flight is directed by heralded director Lauren Montgomery ("Wonder Woman," "Superman Doomsday"wink and scripted by four-time Emmy Award-winning writer Alan Burnett ("The Batman"wink.

Green Lantern: First Flight finds Hal Jordan recruited to join the Green Lantern Corps and placed under the supervision of respected senior Lantern Sinestro. The earthling soon discovers his mentor is actually the central figure in a secret conspiracy that threatens the philosophies, traditions and hierarchy of the entire Green Lantern Corps. Hal must quickly hone his newfound powers and combat the treasonous Lanterns within the ranks to maintain order in the universe.

Trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810077708/video/12839105

SVU guy as Jordan. Alias dad guy as Sinestro. Michael Madsen as Kilowog. awesome.

Kovacs86
I'm looking forward to this. Gotham Knight was pretty good, and Hal Jordan and Sinestro are such awesome characters.

BruceSkywalker
I am buying a copy..

I can't wait to watch this

Darth Vicious
I cant wait for these. I usually dont get pumped for animated movies but this is a must have. Green Lantern is the best thing DC has going on for them for the past few years. Im actually buying this one.

Scoobless
Looks fairly decent.

Badabing
I'm looking forward to the release.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Badabing
I'm looking forward to the release.

whistle shifty

Yes, so am I.......hehehehe.

super pr*xy
it's about damn time. green lantern is under rated.

roughrider
First trailer looks promising. Hal's costume looks more armour like than spandex.

http://www.animationmagazine.net/article/9869

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by roughrider
First trailer looks promising. Hal's costume looks more armour like than spandex.

that is a great trailer

Kazenji
Looks great, might actually get into Green Lantern i've never read a comic.

Badabing
Originally posted by The Nuul
whistle shifty

Yes, so am I.......hehehehe. ohno

The release is a month away. woot

Indestructible
It looks awesome! I mean I trust Dc. Superman Doomsday was good, o wasnt New Frontier, GK, and WW soo this will prob be another good one. I wonder what marvel's up to..........problly more hulk laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by roughrider

It's a sensible artistic choice. Animated versions of Superman tend to have hands bigger than Lois' head. Hopefully the pseudo-armor design of the costume will be used to make him look larger than life without turning him into some sort of freak.

The Nuul
Just saw this and its pretty damn good!

Sinestro is sooo damn cool.

The Nuul
Not sure if I like the voices of Sin and the Guardians.

Raoul
Watched it. Liked it. Not perfect by any means, but it's a solid GL movie imo, and its nice to see Hal get some of the limelight.

Badabing
Didn't like it as much as Justice League: New Frontier but liked it better than Superman/Doomsday.

chomperx9
the artists that does GL 1st flight looks like its the same artist that did justice league. which is good cause out of all the comic series ive watched id say the justice league and jlu were drawn the best.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Badabing
Didn't like it as much as Justice League: New Frontier but liked it better than Superman/Doomsday.

I thought Justice League: New Frontier was boring.

I like GL better than the WW anime and Superman/Doomsday.

Ult Avengers is still the best comic anime movie, IMO.

Raoul
I actually think Wonder Woman is arguably the best of the series, tbh. New Frontier wasn't bad, but the setting put me off some.

GL for me had a deent cast, some nice acting, and Hal's constructs were great, there was just... I dunno, something missing...

Raoul
Double post, but...

One of the things that surprised me about this movie is the somewhat adult themes. You had stuff like drug addiction, a couple of grizzly deaths, and that part where the guy gets sucked out in to space.

i know these are supposed to be comic book characters, and we have seen them do a lot worse, but i was able to let my younger sister watch superman doomsday and wonder woman without worrying so much about the imagery.

with GL, it seems they stepped it up a notch...

Darth Vicious
Happy Dance Happy Dance Yesssssssssss! Will be watching this later today!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Raoul
i know these are supposed to be comic book characters, and we have seen them do a lot worse, but i was able to let my younger sister watch superman doomsday and wonder woman without worrying so much about the imagery. If you don't mind me asking, how young is your sister? Was she allowed to see Gotham Knight?

The Nuul
Double post, but...

One of the things that surprised me about this movie is the somewhat adult themes. You had stuff like drug addiction, a couple of grizzly deaths, and that part where the guy gets sucked out in to space.

I actually really like that.

Darth Vicious
Double post, but...

i know these are supposed to be comic book characters, and we have seen them do a lot worse, but i was able to let my younger sister watch superman doomsday and wonder woman without worrying so much about the imagery.

I liked it. I liked it more than the WW movie. I was surprised by the things u mentioned. In most animated movies whenever someone dies or is killed, it either happens off camera, its implied. Here they actually showed everything. I didnt like the direction they use for Boodika and I wanted to see more of GL in earth. Other than that, pretty good.

Raoul
Originally posted by Darth Martin
If you don't mind me asking, how young is your sister? Was she allowed to see Gotham Knight?

she's 7, and no, she wasn't. to be fair, though, i (like most people i assume) tend to view batman as being a fair bit darker than the average hero.

Originally posted by The Nuul
I actually really like that.

oh, no, don't get me wrong. i'm not complaining as much as i'm simply surprised by it.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I liked it. I liked it more than the WW movie. I was surprised by the things u mentioned. In most animated movies whenever someone dies or is killed, it either happens off camera, its implied. Here they actually showed everything. I didnt like the direction they use for Boodika and I wanted to see more of GL in earth. Other than that, pretty good.

i agree with most of your points lol. i was sad to see boodika go the way she did.

watched it a second time today, and i found myself liking it more.

Darth Vicious
I wanna see more movies made with the character (animated or otherwise). I can't get enough of the characters, i wouldn't mind if there were a video game based on Blackest Night. Something along the lines of Marel Ultimate Alliance/X-men Legends. Hopefully the live action movie will generate enough attention on the property to give way to all these things.

Raoul
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I wanna see more movies made with the character (animated or otherwise). I can't get enough of the characters, i wouldn't mind if there were a video game based on Blackest Night. Something along the lines of Marel Ultimate Alliance/X-men Legends. Hopefully the live action movie will generate enough attention on the property to give way to all these things.

if only...

Starscream M
Movie Review: B

I just watched it and I thought it was decent, a bit too by the numbers for my taste. Honestly, I just don't find Green Lanterns very compelling, and Hal doesn't exactly raise the bar in that category.

I enjoyed the Wonder Woman movie far more for some reason, even though I don't quite remember it right now (maybe its just because I find WW far more interesting a character than Hal Jordan).

I just think this movie lacked much emotion...it certainly had many opportunities (abin sur's death, Hal's initial induction, defeat of Sinestro) but I felt the movie just rushed those aspects and therefore I never really invested in the characters.

The animation was very good though. And the voices were pretty on point as well.

All in all, a very mediocre animated movie imo.

Starscream M
btw, I think who ever made this trailer should direct a GL movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs

Starscream M
and Hal's constructs were great I thought the opposite...I found the constructs a bit cheesy and outdated...still golf clubs, bats, and boxing gloves

I'd like to see some more advanced stuff, but guess he can't have them yet since he's only a rookie

Zack Fair
Originally posted by -Pr-
Watched it. Liked it. Not perfect by any means, but it's a solid GL movie imo, and its nice to see Hal get some of the limelight.

QFT.

Symmetric Chaos
Double post, but...

This is probably one of the more positive influences of anime. Hayao Miyazaki in particular who managed to get some very . . . brutal, movies shown on US television with nothing but a content warning. It turned out well for the networks and likely helped open up the idea that cartoons don't have to just be used for humor.

iceman24567
I loved it Sinestro "it means your ass is mine" LOL but i think the Wonder Woman movie was better personally.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Starscream M
btw, I think who ever made this trailer should direct a GL movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTiRnqnvDs Wow I actually though it was real. Then I read the description saying it's fan-made. Very well done!

Anyways, is this movie better then Superman?

Dreampanther
Didn't see a thread for this, so...

Yahoo! Movies has debuted the new trailer for Green Lantern: First Flight, which hits DVD and Blu-ray Disc on July 28. The animated film is a co-production of Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation.

Watched it this week - thought it was quite decent, well worth watching.

WhoopeeDee
Seen it...here is my way to review this...

As good as Superman: Doomsday but not as great as Gotham Knight.

See it.

Personaly I want to see Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
This is probably one of the more positive influences of anime. Hayao Miyazaki in particular who managed to get some very . . . brutal, movies shown on US television with nothing but a content warning. It turned out well for the networks and likely helped open up the idea that cartoons don't have to just be used for humor.

i must be watching the wrong miyazaki movies then. mhmm

i don't necessarily mind a darker tone, i guess i just didn't see it coming.

Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
Seen it...here is my way to review this...

As good as Superman: Doomsday but not as great as Gotham Knight.

See it.

Personaly I want to see Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

you and me both. it looks sweet.

chomperx9
is it worth getting GL first flight on blu ray ? is there a difference in the pictuer quality between the dvd release and the blu ray ?

cause i wasnt to impressed with the ultimate avengers blu ray looked just the same as watching them on dvd.

Wolfie
I'm a Marvel guy all the way and knew nothing about Green Lantern before watching this.

I actually really liked it and I'm getting into the GL comics now.

ankur29
i thought it was really good, 8/10

nice fight sequence between hal and sinestro

but how did a rookie become so much better than all the other experienced GL's , Kilowog was severely downplayed

chomperx9
i saw the movie and it was great. and judging by the title 1st flight im guessing there will be a sequel to it.

Denny Crane
Cause he's human, and we're awesome that way.

We're the only species that has mastered that elusive main character power that all other non-main villain characters dont have.

Doctor-Alvis
I'm all for humans making excellent GLs but I did think it was weird that Hal was able to master it in a second. The rest was pretty entertaining though.

Edit: Also, the alien boss was Red Foreman. I know this because I kept hearing him make "foot in the ass" comebacks.

roughrider
Just watched it over the weekend. Not sure if Christopher Meloni was the best choice for Hal; and Michael Madsen as Kilowog? Nowhere near as good as Dennis Haysbert's work as him on Justice League. Victor Garber as Sinestro was the best (much better than Ted Levine as Sinestro from the JL days.) Tricia Helfer was solid as Boodikka.
By the numbers overall, but pretty entertaining. I was surprised to see it classified as PG-13 with the opening, but it proved to be right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.