Character deaths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Elite Hunter
We all have characters that we have liked that died and may have been sad to seem them go but what I want to know is if you were ok with how their death scenes were written/portrayed. Did you feel that the scene gave the character justice? Or was he or she killed off in a way that upset you. But I don't want to hear you complain that the character should still be around or of the sort,that type of topic could be in its own thread.

An example would be this:

Many people were sad/angry( I was one of them) when Chewbacca died in the first NJO novel. But I feel that his death scene was done in an appropriate way. He died saving the life of his best friends youngest and he didn't get killed by a bounty hunter,vong warrior or in a dog fight or anything like that. No it took the Vong f***in moon to end his life.

Personally I would have like the events (mostly the lightsaber duel) surrounding General Grievous's death to be a bit more intense or a little more prolonged, though I understand why it was done the way it was.

Dr McBeefington
I think the death of Anakin Solo because GL thought fans would confuse him with the other Anakin, was just retarded.

Lord Lucien
I was so happy when Chewbacca died. Maybe it was my interpretation of his novelized self, but I came to hate him.

I never liked Mara, so her death was awesome no matter what.

Anakin Solo though, his character had potential. And I mean boo friggin hoo about "confusing him with Skywalker." If you're someone who bothers to read these books, then chances are you have a pretty good idea.

Never read LotF but apparently Pelleaon's death was... unsatisfying.

And yeah, I always felt Grievous died like a little b!tch. Not the death by blaster, just the fact that he seemed to walk right in to it.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
And yeah, I always felt Grievous died like a little b!tch. Not the death by blaster, just the fact that he seemed to walk right in to it.

What ! He had a good death. He died by the hands of a powerful Force user while putting up a good fight, almost killing Kenobi. And he didn't walk right into it. He went to Obi to deliver the final blow, but before Grievous could react, Obi had the blaster and shot him.

Besides, he's the only one who died with fire coming out of his eyes.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I think the death of Anakin Solo because GL thought fans would confuse him with the other Anakin, was just retarded.

I agree, I never thought any of the Solo kids should have died in NJO. I'd like know if you felt that the death of Anakin Solo gave his character justice or did he go out like "some punk"

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
What ! He had a good death. He died by the hands of a powerful Force user while putting up a good fight, almost killing Kenobi. And he didn't walk right into it. He went to Obi to deliver the final blow, but before Grievous could react, Obi had the blaster and shot him.

Besides, he's the only one who died with fire coming out of his eyes. Yeah but the movie had him walking right in to it. he must have seen that blaster in Kenobi's hand, but kept on walking. Walking. In a straight line. With his hands above his head.

Major Valerian
Grievous disappointed me. After seeing the CW cartoons, where he looks absolutely badass... The movie version of him wasn't good; it could've been significantly better. Kenobi just.. made it seem too easy.

Slash_KMC
That's just Kenobi, he's just way too cool to be having trouble with anything.

Hewhoknowsall
Caedus's death was wierd: he didn't even put up a fight

Mace Windu's was also very lame.

mattatom
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Caedus's death was wierd: he didn't even put up a fight

Caedus had one arm and suffering from previous injuries, he also wasn't try to kill Jaina merely incapacitate her so he could save Allanna (sp?) Too bad Jaina didn't believe him.

Elite Hunter

How was Mace's death lame? He was about to kill Sidious when Anakin cut his hand off and then he got blasted out the window by FL by Sidious. It's kind of funny that you think his death was lame because before production of ROTS, Samuel L. Jackson told Lucas that he didn't want to Mace to go out "like some punk" so Jackson was happy with the way it played out. To each his own I guess...

Allankles
When a significant character dies most times fans will be angry, but I think significant deaths need to happen to emphasize the seriousness of the stories and the world they take place in.

For me Caedus death was probably the worst I've seen so far, not because of how he died but because they set him up to die without an impact.

A character's death should have a bigger impact on the reader, especially a tragic character.

Eminence
The three Jedi Masters Palpatine killed, General Grievous, Durge, Jango Fett, and... I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting.

KingD19
The reason Grievous wasn't as good a fighter as the cartoon was two fold.
1. Mace Windu crushed his lungs, making it difficult to do anything that required intense movements and acrobatics.
2. Making him move like that in the movie would have been extremely difficult and expensive.

Elite Hunter
Originally posted by Allankles
When a significant character dies most times fans will be angry, but I think significant deaths need to happen to emphasize the seriousness of the stories and the world they take place in.
QFT. I'm hoping that at least one of the big three are dead by the end of FOTJ.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by mattatom
Caedus had one arm and suffering from previous injuries, he also wasn't try to kill Jaina merely incapacitate her so he could save Allanna (sp?) Too bad Jaina didn't believe him.

I know. He was acting like a parent/husband and not a sith.

Originally posted by Elite Hunter
How was Mace's death lame? He was about to kill Sidious when Anakin cut his hand off and then he got blasted out the window by FL by Sidious. It's kind of funny that you think his death was lame because before production of ROTS, Samuel L. Jackson told Lucas that he didn't want to Mace to go out "like some punk" so Jackson was happy with the way it played out. To each his own I guess...

He got his arm cut off, then got zapped while screaming like a girl (not that I blame him) and then falls out of a window. It would've been nice for him to die those dramatic hollywood deaths instead.

mattatom
I know. He was acting like a parent/husband and not a sith.

Well he didn't want to rule the galaxy, he saw the sith way the only way to bring peace to the galaxy, whether he was in it or not.

Originally posted by Allankles

For me Caedus death was probably the worst I've seen so far, not because of how he died but because they set him up to die without an impact.

Died without impact? The galaxy is at peace!

Eminence
For two years...

mattatom
Originally posted by Eminence
For two years...
Point stands.

Eminence
There was also the lack of any real emotional resonance. Jacen dies, Jaina cries, Leia cries, the end. Peace for two years, then everything goes to hell again.

kotorfan
Originally posted by Slash_KMC

Besides, he's the only one who died with fire coming out of his eyes.

lol i like that last part.

Lord Blaze
Darth Vader and Palpatine for sure. Palpatine's death was so... artificial and anticlimactic. I was expecting a massive showdown between Vader and his Master, but... And Vader's death: horrible. Honestly. That was THE character in the series, and his death was portrayed in a way that would have been more fitting for a bantha.

Lord Blaze
Originally posted by Elite Hunter

Mace Windu, if I'm correct, is probably the second-in-command under Yoda himself. Cutting off an arm of his should have made as much difference as a truck hitting a mouse. Mace was no newcomer to pain, considering where he came from. And he practiced Vaapad. He would have been much better at handling a Dark Lord of the Sith than most other Jedi.

He deserved a better sendoff. Something more than a cut arm and some lightning...

Spudman43
This is my opinion: Most all Sith die in the lamest of ways. Maul was killed by a padawan, Grievous was shot, Dooku lost his hands and head to Anakin (who was egged on by an old man), and Palpatine got thrown in a core shaft. Luckily, Vader's death evens it out cuz it was so noble.

Darth Rex
Chewbacca got hit by a moon talk about a cool death
what i luke used the force to pull the executor into palpatine crushing him into the death star and it all blows up and vader gets shot by a stupid stormtrooper

Lord Lucien
Grievous wasn't a Sith.

Gideon
There are a lot of deaths that I didn't like that I can understand the logic behind, as well as the purpose for the narrative.

For example, I hated the death of Gilad Pellaeon because he's my absolute favorite character, EU and otherwise. But I also understood that he was old and represented a threat to Caedus and the regime of the new Empire; so long as Pellaeon lived, there could never be a second imperium. So I understand the purpose of his death, even though I didn't like it. I guess, in some ways, that made the story powerful.

It's realistic. People we like will die, and though we hope that it's for some purpose (if death can ever be purposeful), it's likely a reason we don't understand. For rational purposes, some people die without reason.

And as for Palpatine's death, I thought it was fantastic. Looking back at the six films, it was easily the most powerful death in the saga. And the most important.

CadoAngelus
Maces death was a little disappointing, fair enough he had an epic dual with the dark lord of the sith, but then he slowly pulled his arm back and fell out of a window after getting a little shock (sarcasm and understatement intended).

Yoda's was also a little disappointing, but he was old...i was a kid when i saw RotJ first time and Yoda's death made me really upset...he should have gone out fighting, but there's only so much they could do with CGI back then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.