Riddicks Eyes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Mairuzu
Were any of these movies worth watching? I havent seen them yet.

MildPossession
The first film Pitch Black is most definitely worth viewing, it is an underrated sci fi film, beautiful to look at, the art direction is a high point in this film.

Mairuzu
well good thing it was the first film, now i wont be disappointed AND confused

WO Polaski
they explained how he got them in the game "escape from butcher bay" your hiding in the sewer of butcher bay from all these guards and stuff and you come across this old doctor and if you give him enough ciggeretes he "shines" you and you get the abilities. also once you hear voices in your head which give you clues throughout the game

jaden101
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Were any of these movies worth watching? I havent seen them yet.

Pitch Black is tremendous. Dark Fury (the animated film) is also surprisingly good.

Definitely get Pitch Black though.

Mairuzu
on its way from netflix smile

idowhatiamtold
i liked pitch black, now are all these other movies like a chain basing off of pitch black?

Mairuzu
what other movies

MildPossession
Pitchblack has a sequel called Chronicles of Riddick, it was suppose to be a trilogy but I don't think it's on anymore, no loss because Chronicles was rather disappointing.

It also has an animation as pointed out by Jaden. Pitch Black is the original though and where it all started.

Mairuzu
So should i even bother watching the "sequel"?

LDHZenkai
the sequel gives it more of a comic book feel to it. It brings in a whole new aspect.

Mairuzu
Alright then.

starlock
The order is Pitch Black....Dark Fury(animated)....Chronicles of Riddick

That would be the correct order to watch the movies...FYI

BTW when does the game take place...i never played it...is it set before or after or in the middle of the movies...anybody know?

Kazenji
I'm pretty sure Escape from butcher bay is set before Pitch Black.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, Butcher Bay was definitely set before Pitch Black. Riddick is being pursued in Pitch Black because he escaped from Butcher Bay.

Chronicles of Riddick wasn't so bad. It does have it's good points but the budget really held it back, i think.

justdecent
i think that riddick is a cool character

KingD19
Actually, Riddick's eyes weren't shined by Pope Joe(The supposed doctor) All you did for him was get some parts to fix his radio, and get him some cigarettes. Riddick's eyes are shined as a part of him unlocking his Furyan abilities. He also unlocks the Wrath of the Furyans ability, a sort of super energy blast.

omgchos
Originally posted by WO Polaski
they explained how he got them in the game "escape from butcher bay" your hiding in the sewer of butcher bay from all these guards and stuff and you come across this old doctor and if you give him enough ciggeretes he "shines" you and you get the abilities. also once you hear voices in your head which give you clues throughout the game
LOL i guessed he meant ciggs when he said "20 Menthol Cools"

Mr. Rhythmic

Mr. Rhythmic

Pretty much. "Pitch Black" was a good movie. "Chronicles" was crap.

Kazenji
With the new game 'Dark Athena' where is that ment to fit in ?

KingD19
Dark Athena is a remake/continuation of Butcher Bay. You play all of Butcher Bay, and in the end, Riddick escapes onto a ship called Dark Athena. The rest of the game takes place there.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by WO Polaski
they explained how he got them in the game "escape from butcher bay" your hiding in the sewer of butcher bay from all these guards and stuff and you come across this old doctor and if you give him enough ciggeretes he "shines" you and you get the abilities. also once you hear voices in your head which give you clues throughout the game thumb up

KingD19
Just gonna say this again, the guy you give the old radio to(Pope Joe), doesn't shine Riddick's eyes, he only stitches his arm, he says so. Shirah(the female voice he keeps hearing in his head), gives it to him, even saying you've been blind far too long. He thinks Pope Joe did it, but it was her. She also unlocked his rage of the furyan ability. Riddick says Joe did it for a few reasons. One, he doesn't really know what happened, and two, it keeps people from asking too many questions. Plus he doesn't want everyone having eyes like his.

Bicnarok

KingD19
Bicarnok, did you ever see Dark Fury? It had the same artists from Aeon Flux and Reign.

Rogue Jedi

Bicnarok

KingD19
It's kind of short, but it's an awesome watch.

Rogue Jedi
Definitely. I bought the Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black double feature DVD at walmart a while back, and it included Riddickbig grinark fury free.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok
Maybe this will be answered in the confirmed movie "Chronicles of riddick: return to Furia"

jaden101
I get the feeling that if they were to bring out any more to do with Riddick then they would change the explanation again. Much like the way the Joker changes the explanation as to how he got his scars.

Robtard
Pitch Black explained it as a medical procedure.

Nothing suggest it's some inherent Furyian thing, likes Jews are cheap with money or blacks have larger penises.

KingD19
Originally posted by Robtard
Pitch Black explained it as a medical procedure. Nothing suggest it's some inherent Furyian thing.

Play Escape from Butcher Bay, which is a canon prequel to Pitch Black. The powers may not be Furyan, but it's something that's not a medical prorcedure....the voice talking to him is the reason his eyes are shined and he has the Wrath of the Furyan ability.

This was proven when Pope Joe stitched his arm up, the voice said, You've been blind far too long...Then he got mad at Joe and threatened him, asking what he did. Then Joe said all he did was fix his arm.

Fact.

Robtard
I'm not accepting some video game that came long after the initial concept of Riddick as canon. Pitch Black, the original source of the character is canon.

Jack: Where the hell can I get eyes like that?

Riddick: Gotta kill a few people.

Jack: 'Kay, I can do it.

Riddick: Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.

Jack: So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?

Riddick: Exactly.

/fact

jaden101
I'm not accepting some video game that came long after the initial concept of Riddick as canon. Pitch Black, the original source of the character is canon.

Jack: Where the hell can I get eyes like that?

Riddick: Gotta kill a few people.

Jack: 'Kay, I can do it.

Riddick: Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs.

Jack: So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?

Riddick: Exactly.

/fact

It's also then hinted in Chronicles that he was lying about that.

KingD19
I don't care if you accept it or not, it's canon. So the game is right.

And yeah, somebody else said they'd been in a few slams and there wasn't a doctor who fit that description or something like that.

Fact is Riddick got the shine in Butcher Bay, and lied about it, whether you accept it or not, that's what it is.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
It's also then hinted in Chronicles that he was lying about that.

Don't recall, remember the line or scene?

steverules_2
How does a doctor 'shine' Riddicks eyes?

KingD19
Originally posted by steverules_2

A doctor doesn't, there is no such procedure.

He got the powers from the voice that's been guiding him.

He told people he got it from a doctor, but he didn't.

Rob doesn't believe in Butcher Bay, even though it's a canon prequel and fully explains how Riddick got his eyes, and the Wrath of the Furyan ability he used in the game, and again in Chronicles.

Robtard
Originally posted by steverules_2

Science Fiction

steverules_2
I want to be real dur

Impediment
The alien stabbed Fry and drug her away.

Riddick didn't stab her.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Impediment

Riddick didn't stab her.

131 You ass, I was just about to say that.

jaden101
Originally posted by Impediment

Riddick didn't stab her.

Get AIDS.

Already got AIDS.

And I'm still right.

jaden101
Don't recall, remember the line or scene?

During a conversation with Kyra she says about the prison that Riddick was supposed to have had his eyes shined in.

Rogue Jedi
Obviously Riddick had a doctor where he was, and she didn't where she was.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by MildPossession
The first film Pitch Black is most definitely worth viewing, it is an underrated sci fi film, beautiful to look at, the art direction is a high point in this film.

I think it's underrated because it sucks, straight-up. The animals are knock-offs of the Alien monsters, with the added plot device of being sensitive to light.

And Vin Diesel is a sorry actor.

Pitch Black is a crappy sci-fi horror flick. (When you have to rely on "art direction" as a high point, that should tell you something).

AthenasTrgrFngr
do you just like being incorrect? laughing out loud

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
do you just like being incorrect? laughing out loud

I'm not wrong for thinking Pitch Black sucks.

So you honestly believe Vin Diesel is a talented actor?

jaden101
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I'm not wrong for thinking Pitch Black sucks.

So you honestly believe Vin Diesel is a talented actor?

Take it you've never seen Boiler Room?

The Pitch Black aliens look nothing like the Alien..uuhh..alien.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I think it's underrated because it sucks, straight-up. The animals are knock-offs of the Alien monsters, with the added plot device of being sensitive to light.

And Vin Diesel is a sorry actor.

Pitch Black is a crappy sci-fi horror flick. (When you have to rely on "art direction" as a high point, that should tell you something). That's kooky talk, holmes.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Obviously Riddick had a doctor where he was, and she didn't where she was.

It makes just as much sense for Riddick to fob people off with a story about a doctor doing the surgery when in fact it was his own native ability. Remember, he doesn't like people or trust people, so why should he tell a complete stranger the truth?

When he meets Kyra he doesn't know her, so there is no reason for him to tell her the truth. Plus, in Pitch Black he still doesn't know he is a Furyan, so he wouldn't know about any special powers or abilities he might have.

When Kyra and Riddick meet up again in Chronicles, she makes it clear that she spent all the time in-between looking for a doctor to "shine" her eyes as well - and couldn't find one, no matter where she went or how hard she looked. This would suggest there IS no such operation - otherwise the operation would have been performed on more people than just Riddick - after all, if one surgeon can do it, wouldn't another be able to as well?

The clincher for me is the fact that when Riddick encounters the animals with the shining eyes on Crematoria, they not only have the same eyes, but he calls it "an animal thing", implying it is a native ability, not a surgical procedure.

After all, it doesn't make sense that some surgeon would operate on animals, to give THEM shining eyes, but no one would even admit to there being such a procedure to Kyra, who spent all this time specifically trying to find a surgeon, ANY surgeon, who would do the same for her.

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.