Banks Race to Return Bailouts or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Obama

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
US banks race to return government bailouts
Andrew Clark
The Guardian
Wednesday 15 April 2009

So, the title is a bit of an overstatement, but to be honest, with respect to his rhetoric, Obama has some good points on the economy. I'll admit my ignorance to the finer details, and I don't like Timothy Geitner at all, but at least it isn't politically viable anymore for them to keep throwing money at the issue.

More interesting is probably the return of the money, but I bolded the quote that actually prompted the thread.

So what do you guys think, too much government in the board rooms? Sould companies that were once "too big to fail" now be allowed to return the money they "needed"? doesn't this just show how big of a joke the whole bailouts were in the first place?

And hurray for science, woo!

dadudemon
I was of the opinion that the instituation should have failed or should have had to completely revamp their entire organization post chapter 11.

It may have forced a paradigm shift in how Americans, as a whole, approached finances, which would be good, long term, for eveyone all over the world.

It also defeats or "captilist" leaning beliefs. Where's the benefits of "toxic" organizations failing out of the system, opening the way for better and new thinking organizations?

Of course, if that were allowed, people might suffer, and actual "change" might have to take place. Hell, some people could die. I was quite pissed that those large organizations were given bail out money. Of course, it's because I don't like big government and the less of it we have, the better.

I commend those organizations who return the money without detriment to their organizations stability. I don't care if some people see it as "they never needed it in the first place", as long as they return the money back to my government, then I'm happy. (No matter how corrupt it is. wink )

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
It also defeats or "captilist" leaning beliefs. Where's the benefits of "toxic" organizations failing out of the system, opening the way for better and new thinking organizations?

I'm pretty sure that having "toxic" companies go under is part of what capitalism is supposed to do. Then benefits seem sort of self evident too.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'm pretty sure that having "toxic" companies go under is part of what capitalism is supposed to do. Then benefits seem sort of self evident too.

You didn't get the memo?

Your opinion doesn't count because it's too logical and intelligent. no expression

Symmetric Chaos
NOOOOOO!!!11

dadudemon
This was a good thread. Shame it only lasted just a couple of posts.

Here's a ridiculously awesome demotivational poster:

http://www.marcofolio.net/images/stories/fun/imagedump/demotivational_posters/noservice.jpg

I laughed pretty hard.

King Kandy
...Isn't this what was supposed to happen in the first place?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.