Fox News on the Canadian Military

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
So wow, every thread is a back and forth about how media station X is this way biased, or some other such thing.

Anyways, not to be outdone, Fox has decided to take some shots at the Canadian military:

OVKlFT58Zwc

So, a little bit of commentary from The Young Turks (pretty cool youtube commentators):

g9tf0-BIyU0

The reaction from the Canadian Minister of Defense:

ApUoQdRU35I

and the half-assed sarcastic appology which is just a tongue in cheek insult:

fyLbvURjfYQ

So, more than anything, I just don't get it. And seeing as Fox news is the propaganda wing of the Republican party, I have to wonder who and what purpose this serves.

Anyways, no need to go point by point with what they say, needless to say, if the Americans want to look at a proud, untarnished military tradition, they can come to Canada, whenever they are done torturing people.

inimalist
and Tom Green's reaction:

(swear warning)

mzYqdz1lmTE

(Tom Green was a guest in February)

Symmetric Chaos
How is Andrew an odd name for a man?

They do seem to be slightly tongue in cheek, however.

inimalist
Indeed, the defense was that the program on Fox News was a comedy one.

Even if that were the case, it is pretty bad comedy, considering 30 million people didn't get the joke.

jaden101
Is it a legal neccessity that any male who wishes to appear on that show have a ridiculous wig?

They were right about the fundamentalist Norwegians though.

Red Nemesis
Front lines with Russia!

laughing

Rogue Jedi
Canada has a military?

Hewhoknowsall
Fox News is easily the worst show to ever exist. They are a "news" program full of propaganda, racism, and outright stupidity.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
How is Andrew an odd name for a man?

They do seem to be slightly tongue in cheek, however.

It's his last name of "Lesly"...

I guess they think it's the adverb of "Lesbian" or something weird like that.

Example:

"I Lesly licked the carpet clean."

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Canada has a military? laughing

LDHZenkai
That show is meant to be a comedy. If John Stewart had said something about it on the Daily Show I don't think it would've been taken so badly. Being as he says things like this all the time. To answer the question about if Canada has an army. They have the 55th largest. To put that in perspective the U.S. has 1.4 million people on active duty.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by LDHZenkai
They have the 55th largest. To put that in perspective the U.S. has 1.4 million people on active duty.

Actually that doesn't provide context.

LDHZenkai
Actually that doesn't provide context.
so telling where they rank, telling how many people are in their military armed forces, then telling how many the largest military has doesn't give you enough context? Did you want me to provide the info for every other military too?

LDHZenkai
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_size_of_armed_forces

Symmetric Chaos
Well how many does Canada have? 55th out of how many? What's the typical difference between levels of military size?

Those would give context much more clearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_size_of_armed_forces

Ah, tak.

LDHZenkai
Well how many does Canada have? 55th out of how many? What's the typical difference between levels of military size?

Those would give context much more clearly.

Ah, tak.
i dunno what tak is supposed to mean :'(

Symmetric Chaos
i dunno what tak is supposed to mean :'(

German for thanks, I can't turn off the German subtitles on my TV laughing out loud

LDHZenkai
German for thanks, I can't turn off the German subtitles on my TV laughing out loud
lol oh i see. that sucks. i dont like the german language. it seems angry. Maybe I'm just biased on the whole hitler thing though.

KidRock
Lol I love seeing all the other news networks getting so butthurt over comments made by a 3am comedy-satire show.

They probably just bumped Red Eyes ratings up 50%

lil bitchiness
I heard the jokes about Canadian military before. Anyone can summarize why/how this joke begun and if there was a particular event that triggered it?

inimalist
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I heard the jokes about Canadian military before. Anyone can summarize why/how this joke begun and if there was a particular event that triggered it?

We don't spend as much on our military as other NATO countries.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
We don't spend as much on our military as other NATO countries.

That can't be all of it, aye.

It's probably something else like your unlocked doors that Michael Moore found, and you super duper health care system that Michael Moore found.

inimalist
We provided asylum to American draft dodgers in 'Nam?

We have outdated equipment?

We have defined our forces as peacekeepers primarily?

jaden101
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Might have something to do with them being half French...What with France's military history being so great.

Or it might just be this kind of thing.

W6x2N6mvopQ

jaden101
Or this.

tFEkSlNFAqc&feature=related

inimalist
lol, or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Chicoutimi_(SSK_879)

jaden101
Oh...And before anyone gets stroppy, I'm well aware the 2nd video is British troops. And before anyone decides to be a smart arse about that...It's a parody training video done deliberately.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by jaden101
Might have something to do with them being half French...

Yeah, anyone who doesn't have a word for number 70 is without a doubt dodgy.

But those who make up the word out of thin air are even more suspicious in their dodginess. (see Belgium and Switzerland)

Mindset
Were they unaware that this is a comedy news show?

inimalist
yes, clearly

though, I think the comparisons to Jon Stewart are not entirely appropriate.

Mindset
It's not, it's a dumber version.

Which actually should make it more obvious that it's a joke.

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by inimalist
So wow, every thread is a back and forth about how media station X is this way biased

That is something that always makes me laugh at dumbasses. This absurd notion that there is a biased liberal media is an idea that is totally one-sided; only conservative, psuedo bible-thumpers are even stirred by the prospect. Red Staters are so often confused by the one-sided propoganda that they're the little guy fighting an over-whelming power like "the media". They're too stoopid, literally, to realize that for ever Bill O'Rielly there's a Keith Olbermann; that for every Rush Limbaugh there's an Al Franken. The idiotic notion of a liberal media is a manufactured absurdity put forth by a media entity that is interested only in profit. If MSNBC can make money, then it's retarded to think that a FOX news can't make money, as well. Rupert Murdoch has said several times that he would fund anything that made money. The man voted for Barack Obama, for god's sake. Only an extreme measure of hubris and an obvious breadth of power would allow a man like the owner of a major media outlet to go on television and say that he's only interested in profits while reporting "the facts" to only a particular segment of the poopulation and no one be outraged over it! If the followers of his new station were half as interested in reality as they pride themselves on being, then they would light their torches and knock down the heavy wooden gates of his trillion dollar castle on the hill and burn him alive. I'm not saying that the more liberal channels aren't exactly the same while they're publishing books and scracthing a slogan on their protest signs; only that they're bright enough not to assume an opposite stance in this situation. If the anti-Obama camp wants to throw a real tea party, they'll line up to waterboard Mr. Murdoch, not an uppity black man who hates America, isn't black enough and is a secret muslim jihadist.

Bardock42
"tak" isn't German for thanks. "Danke" is. I know for a fact that "takk" is Icelandic for thanks and I believe that some variation of it is also used in the other Scandinavian languages.

Also, the Canadian military takes a vacation, lol.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
"tak" isn't German for thanks. "Danke" is. I now for a fact that "takk" is Icelandic for thanks and I believe that some variation of it is also used in the other Scandinavian languages.

I think I know a little more about German than you do erm

Also, I wonder why I have stuff with Icelandic sub-titles.

Bardock42
I think I know a little more about German than you do erm

Also, I wonder why I have stuff with Icelandic sub-titles. That makes me wonder, too. I mean if you watched standard TV I don't think they transmit such obscure subtitles...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
That makes me wonder, too. I mean if you watched standard TV I don't think they transmit such obscure subtitles...

It might have been taken from a DVD . . .

Still strange.

LDHZenkai
tak is polish i think

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.