Ridley Scott's Robin Hood.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Discuss the upcoming movie here

Heres a photo of Russell Crowe as Robin

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=54672

jinXed by JaNx
It's Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe. That's a winning combination. Shit, alone, both make great movie's. I'm excited for this. Although, i know Crowe doesn't do accents so i'm not sure how this will go over with a lot of people. I'm sure it will be leagues better than the last Western adaptaion of Robin Hood, Prince of thieves. That movie was an atrocity

Kazenji
Only good ones thats been made so far is the old Errol Flyn movie and also that BCC tv show.

Kovacs86
The BBC TV programme is possibly the worst thing the BBC has ever produced. This, however, doesn't look bad, though I believe the creation process was a complete mess (first it was Nottingham with Crowe as the Sheriff, portrayed as a good guy; then he was playing both characters; now they seem to be playing it more 'straight'). Having said that, I'm there. Ridley Scott's great (sometimes...) and I think Crowe's pretty good too. But... shit... he looks like Maximus again...

BruceSkywalker
I may see this..

Crowe can act when given a good script

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
It's Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe. That's a winning combination. Shit, alone, both make great movie's. I'm excited for this. Although, i know Crowe doesn't do accents so i'm not sure how this will go over with a lot of people. I'm sure it will be leagues better than the last Western adaptaion of Robin Hood, Prince of thieves. That movie was an atrocity Dude, Kevin Costners Robin Hood was awesome. Prolly the second best one. The best one?

THzVJ0rAjMQ

haermm FTW

jinXed by JaNx
laughing

I'm not to keen on Mel Brooks but yeah, Men In tights has some classic moments . I was probably to hard on, Prince of Thieves. I loved that movie as a kid and i still think Costner played a good Robin but that movie just doesnt hold up for me. Although it still makes me laugh when Rickman cancels Christmas lol

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Dude, Kevin Costners Robin Hood was awesome. Prolly the second best one. The best one?

THzVJ0rAjMQ

haermm FTW
QFT.

I agree on both accounts, fully. big grin

Prince of Theives was the best one made, to date. Kevin Costner was just.....stupid without an accent, though. Russel Crowe is an Aussie so he won't have to do too much accent bending to get there. (edit - I asked my Aussie coworker about the accent, and he agrees that Russel woudln't have to do too much to get there...depending on which British accent he was going for.)

But I hope this movie is great. I'd love to see it.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
QFT.

I agree on both accounts, fully. big grin

Prince of Theives was the best one made, to date. Kevin Costner was just.....stupid without an accent, though. Russel Crowe is an Aussie so he won't have to do too much accent bending to get there. (edit - I asked my Aussie coworker about the accent, and he agrees that Russel woudln't have to do too much to get there...depending on which British accent he was going for.)

But I hope this movie is great. I'd love to see it. I can think of a handful of actors better suited than Crowe for Robin Hood.

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp
Hell, even Simon Pegg haermm

SnakeEyes
I can think of a handful of actors better suited than Crowe for Robin Hood.

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

Umm, no. Johnny Depp maybe, but to the rest, definitely not.

Rogue Jedi
Orlando Bloom could pull it off. Viggo mortensen?

K.Canton
It's Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe. That's a winning combination.http://www.tracker-analytics.com/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

I really had no idea this movie was even being made, but I'm definitely looking forward to it now. Crowe can definitely act given the opportunity, and now we just need to hope that the script is well written.

SnakeEyes
Orlando Bloom could pull it off. Viggo mortensen?

Orlando Bloom could pull off the role maybe, I'm just saying that Russell Crowe is a better actor and would/will do a better job. And I love Viggo Mortensen, I'd support him in almost anything.

jinXed by JaNx

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

duuude, come on my brother. Really? lol

Kovacs86

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

What. The. ****?

Let me see...

Orlando Bloom can't act for shit.
Jason Statham can't act for shit.
Johnny Depp can act, but is not appropriate for the role at all.
Simon Pegg's English. That's about his only qualification for the role, though that is something.

Russell Crowe wins.

jaden101

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

Ever think Orlando Bloom's been typecast for any movie involving a bow and arrow?

I really hope they go with the darker version of Robin Hood and not the "merry men" bullshit that's been done to death.

jinXed by JaNx
yeah, i don't know. I trust Ridley Scott. He makes excellent movies. As for Russel Crowe, i've yet to see a movie that has made me second guess his acting ability.

As for Rogue Jedis' suggestions. I could very much see Orlando Bloom Playing Robin Hood. However, i'd rather see a mature Robin Hood. In other words...,a man "p No, Blooms cool.

The only question i'm asking is who will compose the music? Hopefully it'll be Hans Zimmer.

Kovacs86
yeah, i don't know. I trust Ridley Scott. He makes excellent movies.

He also made Hannibal, Body of Lies and A Good Year. I love Ridley as much as the next straight guy who lives Ridley Scott, but he is far from a flawless director. I'm very optimistic though. This is definitely something I'd trust him with, as I'm not aware of him making a bad period action/ adventure/ epic thing yet, while he did a damn good job with both The Duellists and Gladiator...

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kovacs86
What. The. ****?

Let me see...

Orlando Bloom can't act for shit.
Jason Statham can't act for shit.
Johnny Depp can act, but is not appropriate for the role at all.
Simon Pegg's English. That's about his only qualification for the role, though that is something.

Russell Crowe wins. haermm Orlando Bloom, girly man.

jinXed by JaNx
He also made Hannibal, Body of Lies and A Good Year. I love Ridley as much as the next straight guy who lives Ridley Scott, but he is far from a flawless director. I'm very optimistic though. This is definitely something I'd trust him with, as I'm not aware of him making a bad period action/ adventure/ epic thing yet, while he did a damn good job with both The Duellists and Gladiator...

Yeah, but you see, you didn't like those movies. I did. I enjoyed a good year SO much. I watch it twice a year. Hannibal, i thought was fukin gangster. Body of Lies...what was wrong with that movie? It was some intense shit I've only seen it once but i followed it clearly. Damn, just watch Kingdom of Heaven and then imagine Robin Hood. The man knows what he is doing. I'm sure he'll knock this one out of the park granted, it has the right score.

Rogue Jedi
Vin Diesel? Paul Walker? Jet Li, maybe?

Kazenji
Or Jackie Chan? Bruce Campbell? Ron Perlman possibly?

FistOfThe North

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

I've got a few names I've though about..

Snoop Dog
Sean Hannity
Flava Flav
Tom Green
William Shatner
or
George W.

Rogue Jedi
Tom Arnold NUFF SAID.

FistOfThe North
Dan Akroyd would've been a better selection that Tom. Dan would've swept the oscars as R.B., you kiddin' me?..

MildPossession
I'd just see Legolas all the way through, big no no.

Also, who do you prefer as Marian, Sienna Miller or Cate Blanchet?

Apparently Miller was cast first, but now it's Blanchet. Both can act at least.

Kovacs86
I think Blanchett's the better actress, probably. She'll do fine in the role, I'm sure. I've yet to see her do particularly badly in anything, even if she was annoying as hell in The Aviator...

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'd just see Legolas all the way through, big no no.

Or even worse...Paris of Troy.

MildPossession
Wash your mouth out!

Annoying maybe, but she was excellent as Hepburn.

Kovacs86
True, she was excellent. I imagine it's just that I would've found Hepburn annoying too...

Kazenji
More photo's

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1186570/Sneak-peek-The-Sheriff-Nottinghams-men-ravage-village-Ridley-Scotts-new-Robin-Hood-movie.html?ITO=1490

Kazenji
Even more photo';s

http://www.comingsoon.net/imageGallery/Robin_Hood_Set_2

theDiReW0lf
Cool pics, I can't see this movie NOT being great.

=Tired Hiker=
I bet it'll be good. I'm glad Ridley Scott is doing a film like this rather than another one of his spy/G.I. Jane type of crap.

siriuswriter

Orlando Bloom
Jason Statham
Johnny Depp

Orlando Bloom? Orlie?

If you haven't stuck to the mainstream of Bloom , he actually can act.

But they probably didn't even consider him. He would be a good Westley.

But Crowe's known testosterone getting him into trouble, plus the past "warrior/hero/i shall win even if i get killed for it/everyone piss off, i can handle this" attitude fits straight in with Robin of Loxely.

and by the by? Errol Flynn's version began with the thing with the green wool tights and the really short waistcoat and all. I think the BBC series was closer to the look of the period, Prince of Thieves was nice as a plot

Johnny Depp would be unpredictable. Would he play it straight like From Hell? Or would there be a touch of Jack Sparrow, for comic relief? Because there are some points that call for comic relief, but not *drunken swaying, picking nothing out of the air and examining it" comic relief.

Babble babble.

Mr. Rhythmic
I don't see this being very good.

The Nuul
I wonder why they have so much fancy gear. Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor. His men that did fight didnt really have fancy gear. This looks like Braveheart.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I don't see this being very good.

And what makes you say that?

sheila143
I am waiting for Harryy Potter film,hope it will be good,I am still Kid *shy*

Kazenji
Yeah.....Harry Potter and the team up with Robin Hood.

Kovacs86
Originally posted by The Nuul
I wonder why they have so much fancy gear. Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor. His men that did fight didnt really have fancy gear. This looks like Braveheart.

Maybe they stole the shit from soldiers? It's not like peasants would have anything to do with stolen weapons...

Kazenji
Danny Huston is Richard the Lionheart

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57087

Kovacs86
Another great British actor...

WhoopeeDee
I might get into deep mud here...

...isn't one of Robin Hood's films biggest offenses is that they use modern day English rather than the "Ye Olde English" accents? Like in Braveheart for example. Wallace speaks modern Scotish but when he spoke in French to the princess or queen..whatever...Gibson used Old French....yeah.. I dunno....is Ridley going to give a flying fugde about accents for the dialogues?

Kazenji
Another great British actor...

Yeah so ??

MildPossession
Trailer:

http://www.flicksandbits.com/?p=580

The Nuul
Little worried that the Robin Hood character won't be done right and it will be too much like Gladiator etc...

siriuswriter
Little worried that the Robin Hood character won't be done right and it will be too much like Gladiator etc...

sad ...

FistOfThe North
Ridley Scott's Gladiator 2: Shearwood Forest

MildPossession
I think it looks good, forgetting the awful slow motion part of Hood coming out of the water roaring...

smile

The Nuul
Originally posted by MildPossession
I think it looks good, forgetting the awful slow motion part of Hood coming out of the water roaring...

smile

What do you know about action/adventure movies anyways? you're just a chick..... angel Get back you your Titanic type movies....

MildPossession
Titanic is a masterpiece my friend. Happy Dance It had one of the best twists in cinema history, the ship sinking. Didn't see it coming.

Kazenji
I was expecting Godzilla to pop out of the water not an ice berg.

Shey Tapani
Nothing special so far.

coolmovies
Best Robin hood movie ever cant wait

FistOfThe North
Should be called "Ronin hood"

It looks too epic for a robin hood movie. Scott's making the character look like too much of a bad ass. (seething anger and blood on his face, wth? lol)

It's probably gonna be a graphic film rated R, no doubt. o well. it's his twist, his film. he's a great director, i'll go watch it, maybe, but the robin hood i always knew in lit and film was the comical/lighthearted humourous kind. He was amusingly adventurous not bloody vengeful.

The movie'll be intersting and maybe special, especially cause it's work coming from a director like ridley. So i won't be surprised if i see robin hood clubbing a noble or two to a bloody pulp.

coolmovies
We might get a uncut version on dvd

Kovacs86
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Should be called "Ronin hood"

It looks too epic for a robin hood movie. Scott's making the character look like too much of a bad ass. (seething anger and blood on his face, wth? lol)

It's probably gonna be a graphic film rated R, no doubt.

I'm pretty sure Robin Hood really killing people would have been pretty graphic, yeah...

terapattrik
Thanks for the information . Russel is playing the role of Robin Hood. What a combination these 2 are in my all time favorite list. I will definitely watch the movie and thanks for the link .

Bluesteel
This looks fantastic, and lets be fair, if there ever was a Robin Hood he would not be an Errol Flynn all laughing and smiling, he'd be an angry man, in those times ppl struggled everyday just getting by, realisticly an outlaw would probobly not be in the best of moods, being hunted and all. Movie looks great imo. smile can't wait, best Robin Hood for sure.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Bluesteel
best Robin Hood for sure.

since you've already seen it..

Ms.Marvel
who wants to see a realistic robin hood... its robin hood!

FistOfThe North
what'll the merry men be called. the felix leigon, perhaps.

roughrider
I'm wondering what the story is going to be like, given how it started.

I remember when this was first announced as "Nottingham". And it was going to be a much different look at the legend, with Russell Crowe playing a more sympathetic Sheriff of Nottingham, trying to keep the peace with this band of anarchist archers mucking around in the woods.

Then we started to hear rumours Crowe was playing both Robin Hood and the Sheriff (?)

Now it looks like he's just Robin Hood. Has this project been pummeled into being something more conventional, from where it started?

Bluesteel
I just can't imagine Ridley going so wrong, hence why I wrote "best Robin Hood for sure", the others havint been all that great tbh.

FistOfThe North
you didn't like the one with kevin costner? or the disney one? or the story from the book? or men in tights with dave chappelle?

Kovacs86
The one with Kevin Costner, other than Alan Rickman's hammy awesomeness, was unspeakably shite. Even with Morgan Freeman.

RussellBrooks
I'm looking forward to this. Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors.

roughrider
I've watched the trailer...I don't feel anything, looking at it. erm

This might be the new Robin Hood for this generation, but it feels too much like Gladiator redux; Ridley Scott has brought everyone back behind the scenes from ten years ago, too.

Ms.Marvel
going by the trailers this movie looks so0o0o0o0o0o boring.

and yeah... it looks way too much like gladiator...

The Nuul
I will wait for DVD, IMO they changed Robin Hood too much. This is way too much like Gladiator etc...

Kazenji
I will wait for DVD, IMO they changed Robin Hood too much. This is way too much like Gladiator etc...

What?.....just because they were sticking to the facts not the typical green tights.....

Lord Coal
Not sure about the casting at all myself, TBH. Sure, Russell Crowe and cate Blanchett can act, but I'm not at all convinced they're right for these parts, and I've honestly never heard of Danny Huston, or most of the others (Oscar Isaac, Matthew Macfadyen, Kevin Durand, etc.). In fact looking at the cast, I don't think there's many on that list who are right for the role, except perhaps Max von Sydow and Mark Addy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Cate Blanchett could pull off any role with aplomb as she's probably the best actress around IMO, but I can think of others who would probably fit the role better. (Eva Green and Gabrielle Anwar both spring to mind)

If it were down to me, in an ideal world, I'd have had Ray Stevenson as Little John, Sean Bean as the Sheriff (Even though Hollywood always making him a bad guy IS getting extremely old), Ewan McGregor as King Richard, Kevin McKidd as Will Scarlet, and probably either Joaquin Phoenix or James Purefoy as Prince John.

As for Robin, there's not really many big-name actors that'd be right for it (Lots of relatively unknowns and British TV actors, but then there's no marketing appeal outside the UK). I certainly wouldn't cast Russell Crowe. Good as he is, he's not Robin Hood, (and despite what a surprising number of Yanks seem to believe, Australian and Nottinghamshire accents aren't remotely similar).

Orlando Bloom could definitely get the job done, but could anyone see past Legolas, Balian, Paris and that annoying bloke in Pirates? I doubt it...

As for Johnny Depp, great actor, but just so wrong for the part.

Viggo Mortensen and Eric Bana would both be great, I'm sure, but don't have the marketing appeal. Christian Bale comes out the overall winner in my book though: Not quite as good as bana or Mortensen, but he'd bring in the punters.

Then again, Crowe's not Costner, so at least that's something of a step up, just so long as Ridley remember's the tights should be Lincoln Graine (scarlet) and not Lincoln Green wink

Well, that's my half-groat stick out tongue

MildPossession
Orlando Bloom's acting doesn't cut it, his wishy washy acting was fine for Paris in Troy, but not for Robin Hood(he was one of the negatives in Kingdom of Heaven for me). Like the call with Eva Green though for Marian. Amazing actress.

Lord Coal
I meant Orlando could pull it off in so much as 'he's British and likes stabbing/shooting people in movies' but yeah, his acting does kind of suck, though he wouldn't actually need to do much acting seeing as he's essentially played Robin Hood at least 8 times before.

TBH for me the biggest negative in KOH was it's utter lack of any historical accuracy.

I do like Eva Green as an actress, and she's not bad to look at either wink

One Free Man
Gladiator was great, if this were more like gladiator I'd be happier, but this movie was just there to me. Not great, not horrible, just there.

I ended it entertained, kind of like... Okay, what now?

Gladiator was epic enough to bring tears to everyone in the theater.

K.Diddy
smokin' Well,Just finished watching this 20 minutes ago,I really enjoyed it,I think the scenery was fantastic and it was nice and fresh to see a more realistic kind of Robin Hood,The Battle scenes were decent and the movie definitely kept me entertained,I would of liked to have seen more chemistry between Robin Hood and lady marian,The love growing between them 2 just didn't get enough screen-time I felt,made that angle of the movie feel a little rushed,but it still worked reasonably well,only real gripe that I have with this movie is the ending did not feel complete,It made this movie feel like the start of a trilogy or a movie that desperately needs a sequel to close it,Which is why I really hope that Ridley and Crowe will give us one,It was great to see the origin of how Robin became Robin Hood,but now we need a movie too see him in full swing as the outlaw Robin Hood. All in all I give this an 8.5/10

Rogue Jedi
Shit movie.

MildPossession
Don't think it's shit, but it's nothing special in the slightest.

-Pr-
It was all right, imo...

The Nuul
Its not bad but not good. Meh, it tried to be Robinator but failed.

K.Diddy
erm What is it that people didn't like about it?

ADarksideJedi
It is too much like the movie "Gladier" and it does not follow the normal Robin Hood story that people are use too and like!

MildPossession
Well that's because it's a prequel/origins... makes a change from the same 'normal story'...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.