Death Star Galen Marek vs Qui-Gon Jinn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Victor?

*Also your opinion on who is stronger in the Force

Eminence
Are you kidding me?

Lord Lucien
Truculent never kids about this stuff. He's serious. Dead serious I tells ya.

I'm so depressed.

ares834
1. Qui-Gon Jinn
2. Marek
3. Unfourtently Galen Marek

SIDIOUS 66
Just read Truculents location. Should say a lot.

Ok, im playing. lol

Captain REX
On topic, please...

Anon E. Mous
Marek Overall

He's stronger in the force, which makes up for Qui-Gon being better in sabers.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Anon E. Mous
Marek Overall

He's stronger in the force, which makes up for Qui-Gon being better in sabers.

It seems as though people here in KMC make the force so important (not saying that it isn't), but in the movies the duelists just fight w/sabers and occasionally force pushes/throws and object...

Anon E. Mous
When I played the Force Unleashed, I used the force a lot more than sabers. It helps when you can use overpowered lightning to blast at your opponent.

ares834
Originally posted by Anon E. Mous
When I played the Force Unleashed, I used the force a lot more than sabers. It helps when you can use overpowered lightning to blast at your opponent.
Game mechanics aren't canon.

Anon E. Mous
Oh, well... I was just trying to prove my point that Marek pwns with the force.

Is the game itself canon? (Such as the killing of Shaak-Ti?)

Nephthys
The book is.

Asajj Ventress
Qui gon and Qui gon

ilikepeople
QUI-GON JINN! FTW

Lord Lucien
FTW! We talk like this! FTW!

Hawtsauce
1. Marek. He was adept at Juyo, which requires the skill of all other lightsaber styles... also Juyo was the same style Qui-Gon got wtfpwned by.

2. Um. 50/50? Marek can manipulate Star Destroyers with the force but Qui-Gon can live after death via force.

3. Marek. Death Star Marek canonly beat Vader. And then held off the Emperor for the rebel leaders to escape. I don't think Qui-Gon could do either of those.

Lord Lucien
So apparently, living after death now helps win a battle, thereby preventing death. Quite the paradox you've got there.

Hawtsauce
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So apparently, living after death now helps win a battle, thereby preventing death. Quite the paradox you've got there.

Yeah. I never said it would help you win a battle, smart one. He asked who was stronger in the force, and Qui-Gon (to my knowledge) was the first to be able to live after death, and even taught Yoda and Obi-wan how to do it too. Takes a lot of knowledge/strength of the force to do that imo.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Hawtsauce
Yeah. I never said it would help you win a battle, smart one. He asked who was stronger in the force, and Qui-Gon (to my knowledge) was the first to be able to live after death, and even taught Yoda and Obi-wan how to do it too. Takes a lot of knowledge/strength of the force to do that imo. Knowledge and mentality yeah, but I don't think it takes a great deal of power.

SIDIOUS 66
Knowledge and mentality yeah, but I don't think it takes a great deal of power.

Yeah, i believe any force user could do it with proper training.

Lord Lucien
And really, Qui-Gon didn't even come back as a ghost, just a voice.

Darth Rex
Use the ABCD format
Persuming A beats B, B beats C etc
Maul beat Qui Gon
Obi Wan beat Maul
Vader was better than Obi Wan
Marek beat Vader

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Rex
Use the ABCD format
Persuming A beats B, B beats C etc
Maul beat Qui Gon
Obi Wan beat Maul
Vader was better than Obi Wan
Marek beat Vader You get a grade of D.

D for Delicious!

But seriously, F for Fail.

Slash_KMC

A strange sense of humour the Force has, yes yes.

CadoAngelus
only as a voice in AotC, we don't even know if he came back as a full ghost at the end of RotS. unless anyone has hardcore evidence...

that however is beside the point:
1) Qui-Gon
2) Marek
3) not sure...probably Marek

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
only as a voice in AotC, we don't even know if he came back as a full ghost at the end of RotS. unless anyone has hardcore evidence...

1) Qui-Gon
2) Marek
3) not sure...probably Marek No he was just a voice. Obi-Wan talks to his disembodied voice in RoDV.

CadoAngelus
No he was just a voice. Obi-Wan talks to his disembodied voice in RoDV.

Ok then, beaten again by books i've not read yet...sad

Lord Lucien
Yeah--should probably get on that.

chilled monkey

1) Qui-Gon
2) Marek
3) not sure...probably Marek

No offence, but I must disagree with the first part. No disrespect to Qui-Gon, I know he was a brilliant fighter, but it seems as if every "Marek vs" thread I read says "so-and-so wins at lightsabres but loses everything else," as if people feel they need to throw the opponent a bone.

Galen was an amazing duellist. He was a Juyo expert (which meant he was a high level master of multiple forms) and was proficient in Soresu and Djem So. He may even know some Makashi (at one point he is described as very graceful and efficient in combat, much like Dooku).

Plus he fought and defeated PROXY who was using Qui-Gon's skills. That gives him advance knowledge of how Qui-Gon fights.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Plus he fought and defeated PROXY who was using Qui-Gon's skills. That gives him advance knowledge of how Qui-Gon fights.

Although Proxy mimicked other's and their styles, he/it was nowhere in their league when it came to dueling. So, to use Proxy as a gauge of how GM would fair against said Jedi... well, it's quite flawed reasoning.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Although Proxy mimicked other's and their styles, he/it was nowhere in their league when it came to dueling. So, to use Proxy as a gauge of how GM would fair against said Jedi... well, it's quite flawed reasoning.

Beg your pardon, but no it's not.

I was simply pointing out that Galen's duels with PROXY mean that if he ever had to fight "the genuine article" he would have at least some idea of how they'd fight, whereas Qui-Gon (or whoever) wouldn't know anything about Galen. Advance knowledge of your enemy is always a plus.

Heck, Galen himself points out that PROXY can't duplicate Ataru precisely because he couldn't use the Force.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Beg your pardon, but no it's not.

I was simply pointing out that Galen's duels with PROXY mean that if he ever had to fight "the genuine article" he would have at least some idea of how they'd fight, whereas Qui-Gon (or whoever) wouldn't know anything about Galen. Advance knowledge of your enemy is always a plus.

Heck, Galen himself points out that PROXY can't duplicate Ataru precisely because he couldn't use the Force.

Beg all you want... pardon denied... mwahahaha!!!

Seriously though... Why wouldn't Jinn have an idea as to Galen Marek? Is it because he has absolutely no idea what Shien and Soresu is? Of course he has some familiarity it. So therefore he has an idea of what combat w/ GM would be like... to some extent that is. Don't say he "wouldn't know anything about Galen." On the flip side, just because GM dueled w/ Proxy, doesn't necessarily give him some great advantage over Jinn. Here (foreign analogy coming up), if I fight/box w/ a robot who's programmed to mimic Mike Tyson's peek-a-boo style, I'd still have no REAL idea as to what it'd be like to fight the real Mike Tyson. Yes, I'd know what it'd be like to fight against his particular style, but not against the real him. What I'm saying is that Jinn is likely as familiar w/ GM's style(s) of combat, as GM is w/ Jinn's.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Beg all you want... pardon denied... mwahahaha!!!

Seriously though... Why wouldn't Jinn have an idea as to Galen Marek? Is it because he has absolutely no idea what Shien and Soresu is? Of course he has some familiarity it. So therefore he has an idea of what combat w/ GM would be like... to some extent that is. Don't say he "wouldn't know anything about Galen." On the flip side, just because GM dueled w/ Proxy, doesn't necessarily give him some great advantage over Jinn. Here (foreign analogy coming up), if I fight/box w/ a robot who's programmed to mimic Mike Tyson's peek-a-boo style, I'd still have no REAL idea as to what it'd be like to fight the real Mike Tyson. Yes, I'd know what it'd be like to fight against his particular style, but not against the real him. What I'm saying is that Jinn is likely as familiar w/ GM's style(s) of combat, as GM is w/ Jinn's.

I'd say thats a very valid point. Simply because Galen trains with a robot capable of "replicating" characters fighting styles, doesn't mean he'll have the advantage. For instance, Qui-Gon could decide to completely mess his tactics around to that particular fight and completely mind-**** Galen, or he could fight like a boring old tart...

Stating that Galen has the hand because he's fought Qui-Gon before but Qui-Gon hasn't fought Galen is flawed...Galens not fought any of the people PROXY replicates...apart from Vader

Nephthys
There is no doubt that Galen is anything less than a masterful lightsaber duellist. Ignoring the fact that he is directly stated to have mastered lightsaber combat to its highest degree, while Juno watches him and Proxy fight she is literally awed by his skill, noting how subtle and refined his style is and how even tiny movements of his fingers create devastating attacks. Not to mention that he held his own with Vader, so unless you believe Jinn can beat him.....

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by Nephthys
There is no doubt that Galen is anything less than a masterful lightsaber duellist. Ignoring the fact that he is directly stated to have mastered lightsaber combat to its highest degree, while Juno watches him and Proxy fight she is literally awed by his skill, noting how subtle and refined his style is and how even tiny movements of his fingers create devastating attacks. Not to mention that he held his own with Vader, so unless you believe Jinn can beat him.....

And Jinn wasn't a masterful duelist? Also, Vader was but a mere shell of his former self once he had to be confined to the suit. So, "holding his own" doesn't carry a ton of weight here. And yes, I think Jinn would have defeated suited Vader in a duel. Hell, he would have given pre-suit Vader/Anakin more than he wanted. Also, Juno's thoughts of GM's dueling prowess mean little, as she hadn't witnessed other Jedi/Sith in battle, and therefore had nothing to compare him to. Anyone watching a Jedi/Sith/other force user in battle for the first time (or any subsequent time for that matter, but especially the first) is going to be floored by their speed, quickness, reflexes, and such. GM was a proficient duelist, don't get me wrong, but I think Jinn might have been more refined so far as lightsaber combat goes.

Nephthys
Where does this image of Jinn= pwner come from. Seriously, the guy has one failed duel to his name.

He hardly sucks. The guy took out 4 jedi knights at once in RODV, butchered wookies left, right and centre and beat one of the best duelists of the order. Not to mention he cobbled together a completely new style by himself out of 4 different forms. In fact I believe he says himself that by the end of the book he's close to his old level. Not to mention his vastly superior force powers (which is real importance in duels) would carry him to victory. The same can be said for Marek.

Nephthys
'PROXY didn't stay still for a second, attacking from the ground, the walls, the ceiling, even from midair. It was like watching a dance, but one in which the slightest slip could mean death. Starkiller danced with him long enough for her to worry, then he changed his style to match that of the droids- and suddenly she could see the difference between the human and the mechanical. Where PROXY had been fast, Starkiller was graceful as well. Where PROXY had simply slashed and stabbed, Sarkiller applied flourishes to his offensive strikes. Where every move PROXY made involved his entire body, Starkiller could launch an attack with one finger, or block by shifting his foot a single centimeter'

Show me where Jinn displays that level of refinement and we'll talk.

chilled monkey
'PROXY didn't stay still for a second, attacking from the ground, the walls, the ceiling, even from midair. It was like watching a dance, but one in which the slightest slip could mean death. Starkiller danced with him long enough for her to worry, then he changed his style to match that of the droids- and suddenly she could see the difference between the human and the mechanical. Where PROXY had been fast, Starkiller was graceful as well. Where PROXY had simply slashed and stabbed, Sarkiller applied flourishes to his offensive strikes. Where every move PROXY made involved his entire body, Starkiller could launch an attack with one finger, or block by shifting his foot a single centimeter'

Show me where Jinn displays that level of refinement and we'll talk.

Exactly. Thank you Nephthys.

Nephthys
Took me ages to type that up.

Jinsoku Takai
Jinn was obviously good enough, even at a young age, to impress Count Dooku, which wasn't easy in the least, given the count's level of arrogance and own dueling superiority. Also, while not an actual combat scenario, he sparred with Mace "BMF" Windu on several occasions with neither of them coming out on top. That's a hell of an accomplishment, even if Mace hadn't reached his peak yet. Moreover, the following quote lends credence to my stance; "The Jedi lightsaber master who taught Qui-Gon had considered him the best lightsaber duelist he had seen in over 400 years of teaching in the Jedi Order." So yes, Qui-Gon was a damn good duelist. Not on the level of Yoda, Mace, or Dooku, but very good nonetheless.

And quotes regarding suited Vader, and his AWESOME accomplishments would be well appreciated. While he is definitely a formidable and deadly combatant, Vader, once he became confined to the suit, was nowhere near where he was beforehand.

Nephthys
It seems to me that all the evidence for Jinn being a masterful duelist are about as solid as that of Ragnos being the best.

Sorry I don't own RODV

Red Nemesis
But... Ragnos is the best!

stick out tongue

Nephthys
aweno

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
But... Ragnos is the best!

stick out tongue

Do we even know anything about Ragnos?

Kodiak
If this is Death Star SK, then he definitely wins.

Jinsoku Takai
Sorry I don't own RODV

Meh... me either.

Look, I can see where you're coming from regarding your stance on this issue, and can appreciate that. Respect! However, based on my own understanding of both combatants, I still stand my ground.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Do we even know anything about Ragnos?

he's one of the earliest sith in the canon history...

Gideon
If you'd all like an argument as to why Ragnos is the best, I strongly urge you to seek out Janus or Nai. I would recommend that you take note of the argument; because you'll see them both take opposite stances when similar circumstances are applied to other characters. For example, Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh fearing Ragnos was once part of his accolades, since the fear is a sign of inferiority. But Dooku being even more frightened of Sidious than they were of Ragnos is not a sign of inferiority, but bad writing. And Kreia's statement in the second KotOR game? The one about how the ancient Sith would make the duelists of that era seem as though they were children playing with toys? That's valid, because Kreia -- for that moment -- was omniscient. Now the statement given by narrators and historical councils of vast superpowers with greater resources and knowledge than one woman? Those aren't valid at all.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a convincing argument for Ragnos, you're out of luck.

Elite Hunter
No offense Gideon, but could you keep your issues with Jaunus and Nai out of this thread. Hewhoknowsall asked what is known about Ragnos and you respond by criticizing Janus and Nai yet they haven't said anything in this thread. Keep the hostility in the thread that is already in now but there is no need to spread it.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by Elite Hunter
No offense Gideon, but could you keep your issues with Jaunus and Nai out of this thread. Hewhoknowsall asked what is known about Ragnos and you respond by criticizing Janus and Nai yet they haven't said anything in this thread. Keep the hostility in the thread that is already in now but there is no need to spread it.

QFT

kotorfan
um.. starkiller wins all three. just imo. I can't see how he loses. so yeah. plz explain

Gideon
Originally posted by Elite Hunter

The tenor was the same: skepticism for an argument made for Ragnos.

I provided a response that directed the skeptics to a place where the argument could be made, while simultaneously pointing out that they wouldn't find a convincing one.

But you have my word, father, it won't happen again.

Jinsoku Takai
I'd say thats a very valid point. Simply because Galen trains with a robot capable of "replicating" characters fighting styles, doesn't mean he'll have the advantage. For instance, Qui-Gon could decide to completely mess his tactics around to that particular fight and completely mind-**** Galen, or he could fight like a boring old tart...

Stating that Galen has the hand because he's fought Qui-Gon before but Qui-Gon hasn't fought Galen is flawed...Galens not fought any of the people PROXY replicates...apart from Vader

Well stated CadoAngelus!!!

Nephthys
Marek knows Ataru enough to be able to duel with it and has been stated to have 'mastered lightsaber combat'. There's nothing to suggest that he would be taken aback by a style that knows inside and out.

Jinsoku Takai
Marek knows Ataru enough to be able to duel with it and has been stated to have 'mastered lightsaber combat'. There's nothing to suggest that he would be taken aback by a style that knows inside and out.

Your quote please.

CadoAngelus

and there's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't...they're both very powerful individuals, both with very different ways of applying their skills and power in battle...

Nephthys
'PROXY didn't stay still for a second, attacking from the ground, the walls, the ceiling, even from midair. It was like watching a dance, but one in which the slightest slip could mean death. Starkiller danced with him long enough for her to worry, then he changed his style to match that of the droids- and suddenly she could see the difference between the human and the mechanical. Where PROXY had been fast, Starkiller was graceful as well. Where PROXY had simply slashed and stabbed, Sarkiller applied flourishes to his offensive strikes. Where every move PROXY made involved his entire body, Starkiller could launch an attack with one, or block by shifting his foot a single centimeter'

PROXY's clearly fighting with Ataru, which Starkiller emulates and exceeds.

Jinsoku Takai
No... where's the source quote; "mastered lightsaber combat?" My bad. I should have been a little more clear about that. Apologies.

Nephthys
It's in the database of the game, which is held as having omniscient status. It was ages ago that it was brought up so all I can remember of it is that Gideon approved it.

I can't get the actual quote right now becuase I have the red ring of death, but someone else can hopefully provide it . hopes

Gideon
It's in the database of the game, which is held as having omniscient status. It was ages ago that it was brought up so all I can remember of it is that Gideon approved it.

I can't get the actual quote right now becuase I have the red ring of death, but someone else can hopefully provide it . hopes

The game's official databank, the official Star Wars databank, and the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia say that he "all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat" or "mastered the lightsaber" depending on the source.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by Gideon
The game's official databank, the official Star Wars databank, and the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia say that he "all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat"...

Yeah that's what I recall. The term "all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat" doesn't = mastered lightsaber combat. It means just what it says, no more and no less. Basically that he was extremely proficient, but not quite a master duelist.

Nephthys

And what about the quote that read's: 'he mastered the lightsaber'. And how does Jinn even remotely compare to either of these quotes.

kotorfan
Hey guys, I just learned that

the word QUOTE is a verb.

the word QUOTATION is the noun.

so ex: I am quoting someone. (verb so use the word quote)

"Bruce Lee is a God"

that is a quotation, not a quote.

just thought I'd share. lol

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by kotorfan

"Bruce Lee is a God"

My life has sooo much more meaning now. Thank you !

Jinsoku Takai

And what about the quote that read's: 'he mastered the lightsaber'. And how does Jinn even remotely compare to either of these quotes.

Well, what's the source? Source validity is highly important.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by kotorfan

"Bruce Lee is a God"

And I just learned that one should begin the first word of all sentences with a capital letter. Damn grammar!!!

Nephthys
Gideon, the ultimate sauce-

The game's official databank, the official Star Wars databank, and the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia say that he "all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat" or "mastered the lightsaber" depending on the source.

Lord Tyranus

He does have that sauciness to him kinda like Roz from Frasier. Hahahaha... stick out tongue

CadoAngelus
"all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat"
This statement is grammatically incorrect. If you're trying to defend Galen, then you fail. This statement suggests he knew everything apart from lightsaber combat...

Eminence
This statement is grammatically incorrect. If you're trying to defend Galen, then you fail. This statement suggests he knew everything apart from lightsaber combat... omg i wish i wur az geenyus ass u

srsly man

Nephthys
That's a euphemism, so it's not intended as a literal sentence. That and it's backed up by the quote that he 'mastered the lightsaber' (another euphemism).

Jinsoku Takai

Star Wars official databank: "the apprentice all but perfected the fine art of lightsaber combat"

S.W. TFU Databank: "The apprentice has all but perfected..."

S.W.C.E.: ?

As mentioned earlier, "all but perfected means he DIDN't perfect the fine art of lightsaber combat. It's plain as day. He was an excellent dualist, but not of the level many here believe.

Jinsoku Takai
This statement is grammatically incorrect. If you're trying to defend Galen, then you fail. This statement suggests he knew everything apart from lightsaber combat...

Thanks CadoAngelus! I also pointed this important little detail out yesterday, and again today. Details, details, details damnit.. they're there for a reason.

Jinsoku Takai
That's a euphemism, so it's not intended as a literal sentence. That and it's backed up by the quote that he 'mastered the lightsaber' (another euphemism).

I've busted two possible sources. That means there's ONE left, and it's of a less credible status than the first two.

Gideon

What sort of school do you attend? Someone needs to kick your school board's collective ass.

The statement "all but perfected the art of lightsaber combat" means, quite simply, that he achieved every level of it except perfection. That's an extremely high accolade.

Nephthys
Do you even know what the term 'perfect' means. To have 'perfected the art of lightsaber combat' Marek would have had to be at the highest level possible with each form (think Obi-won with Soresu level) and with all lightsaber styles (single, double, dual, whip, staff and police stick thing). To even Approach that level of mastery is fantastically impressive, and nothing to sneer at.

Once again, provide proof that Qui-Gon Jinn even remotely aproaches this level of skill or get the hell out of the debate, because you really are starting to embarrass yourself now and my gloves are officially off.

And stop effing ignoring the second quote, you're not fooling anyone.

Edit: Thank you Gideon.

Jinsoku Takai

Whaaaaa? Are you kidding. What qualifies you to make this kind of gramatical judgement? Of course it's meant to be taken just as it's written. It's not poetry.

Eminence
Respond to the posts immediately above yours, please.

Red Nemesis
I am disappointed by this entire forum. The attempts to claim grammar and the poorly executed... well, everything is making me sad. You've driven me to my hugbox. sad

CadoAngelus
A quote from Wookiepedia:

Another quote from Wookiepedia:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.