New Street Fighter IV (Is this racist?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LordFear
Ok guys, the new Street Fighter game that is out right now. My question is why the heck is Balrog not only the sole character designed to look like a damn monkey but more importantly why is it he always yells" My fight moneeeeeyyyyy" when you kick his ass? Is this how Asians and other cultures view African Americans, as just money hungry monkeys?

Robtard
http://ctothejl.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/balrog.jpg

I don't see the monkey aspect. I would assume the "my money" bit to be a jab at Americans, ie the greedy American, not a jab at the negro, if anything.

His blue-green eys area bit off, but not beyond reason, as he's probably mulato.

LordFear
Originally posted by Robtard

I don't see the monkey aspect. I would assume the "where's my money" bit to be a jab at Americans, ie the greedy American, not a jab at the negro, if anything.

His blue-green eys area bit off, though, but not beyond reason, as he's probably mulato.

Just seems to me that between Ryu and Rufus who also are representing the U.S.A, he is the only one who seems offensive to me. Perhaps I am reading too much into it but all other fighters' have agendas which are much more complex and of substance but our boy Balrog here fights for his prize money or whatever the hell!!!!

Robtard
Could be modeled after Tyson in his 'I'm a cocky ******* and what's mine is mine' attitude, which was much of his career.

Physically, I don't see anything racially negative.

Personality, possible.

Edit: You could email the clown who made the stink about RE:5 being racist, I'm sure they'd love to rant about this one too.

LordFear
yeah I read that post/thread and really do not find any basis for it. Listen sometimes these Black social watchdog groups are nothing but alarmists. We have enough real racism out there. I do know that Japanese and other Oriental descent are not often sensitive about Blacks and the whole social oppression thing.

inimalist
his features look like a caricature of an African's, but they don't seem racist. Are the other characters exaggerated the same way?

LordFear
Originally posted by inimalist
his features look like a caricature of an African's, but they don't seem racist. Are the other characters exaggerated the same way?

Well I have read on other sites how Dhalsim is misrepresented as this starved, ultra emaciated character. Also how Zangief is portrayed as the big oaf/alooof Russian. Rufus is seen as a stab ast Americans as to how rude and arrogant he is aside from his rotund appearance. So I guess mischaracterizations can be drawn from most of these characters huh?

Symmetric Chaos
My first reaction is that he's a shout out to Tyson.

Originally posted by inimalist

Russian:
http://content.mahalo.com/images/b/b8/SF4zangief_NT_020609.jpg

Whatever this is:
http://elmundotech.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/dhalsim_002_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

The white American is so fat he's spherical . . .

inimalist
ya, I'm going with caricature smile

BackFire
Could be modeled after Tyson in his 'I'm a cocky ******* and what's mine is mine' attitude, which was much of his career.

Personality, possible.

Edit: You could email the clown who made the stink about RE:5 being racist, I'm sure they'd love to rant about this one too.

Yes. Balrag is modeled after Tyson, which is why his Japanese name is M. Bison. They changed it for America to avoid possible legal trouble.

All the characters in the game are exaggerated stereotypes.

Hewhoknowsall
It seems as if people care so much if Americans/Africans are offended, but when Asians or Mexicans are offended not as many people care (not to be racist myself). Too bad racism isn't gone and never will be.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by LordFear
Ok guys, the new Street Fighter game that is out right now. My question is why the heck is Balrog not only the sole character designed to look like a damn monkey but more importantly why is it he always yells" My fight moneeeeeyyyyy" when you kick his ass? Is this how Asians and other cultures view African Americans, as just money hungry monkeys?

As a black dude I see no racism in Balrog/Mike Bison. He screams his fight money because a losing boxer is a broke boxer.

Just seems to me that between Ryu and Rufus who also are representing the U.S.A, he is the only one who seems offensive to me. Perhaps I am reading too much into it but all other fighters' have agendas which are much more complex and of substance but our boy Balrog here fights for his prize money or whatever the hell!!!!

He's a greedy boxer, he doesn't need a huge reason or cause to fight outside of getting prize money. Thats how most boxers are.

Personality, possible.

God I hate the fact that Capcom pussied out in RE5. I'm seeing an abundance of whites, hispanics, and ambiguous races. I was surprised that the tribal enemies were all black.

Bardock42
Ryu represents the US in the new Street Fighter? The hell...

Not that that' the only thing that's odd about that quote.

jinXed by JaNx
I thought Guile represented America

Bardock42
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I thought Guile represented America Yes, traditionally Ken, Guile and Balrog (M.Bison) are the US characters. That new fat, redneck guy seems to be from the US too though.

Either way, most of the characters, the US ones at least, are caricatures in one way or another.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I thought Guile represented America

Now why would a blonde haired blue eyed, white guy in the air force and whatever that govenrment agency in SF represent America?

WO Polaski
yeah I read that post/thread and really do not find any basis for it.

"Basis for it"?

baelrog's real name, his original name, in Japanese, is Mike Bison. He's a deliberate copy-off of Mike Tyson, who is extremely cocky, and somewhat obnoxious.

If you want to blame anyone for black people being portrayed badly in media blame the black people who adhere to and support those stereo-types, I.E. most main stream rappers and everyone in tyler perrys shitty movies.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by WO Polaski
"Basis for it"?

baelrog's real name, his original name, in Japanese, is Mike Bison. He's a deliberate copy-off of Mike Tyson, who is extremely cocky, and somewhat obnoxious.

If you want to blame anyone for black people being portrayed badly in media blame the black people who adhere to and support those stereo-types, I.E. most main stream rappers and everyone in tyler perrys shitty movies.

Everything you said made so much sense especially the Tyler Perry comment. (No sarcasm)

chomperx9

If you want to blame anyone for black people being portrayed badly in media blame the black people who adhere to and support those stereo-types, I.E. most main stream rappers and everyone in tyler perrys shitty movies. laughing you made my day

chomperx9

I don't see the monkey aspect. I would assume the "my money" bit to be a jab at Americans, ie the greedy American, not a jab at the negro, if anything.

His blue-green eys area bit off, but not beyond reason, as he's probably mulato. i don't see any monkey resemblance as well. OK so hes black doesn't necessarily mean every black toon character is gonna turn out to look perfect maybe one look and act a little monkeyish. Ive played some video games where the white character didn't seem all human was kinda like a robot in a way. i guess where even

chomperx9
Ok guys, the new Street Fighter game that is out right now. My question is why the heck is Balrog not only the sole character designed to look like a damn monkey but more importantly why is it he always yells" My fight moneeeeeyyyyy" when you kick his ass? Is this how Asians and other cultures view African Americans, as just money hungry monkeys? if you read balrogs bio hes a bad boy boxer and wants to make money off of fighting has nothing to do with him being black. like vega hes a bad boy in the ring as well and gets bucks when ever he wins as well. ryu and ken they fight just for the hell of it cause they enjoy fighting

Sadako of Girth

Yeah the characters name was originally M.Bison too, before they assigned that name to the character we all saw in SF2 under that name. (SO one could logically assume that M Bison's original name was Balrog.)

The character was originally definitely modelled on Tyson.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yeah the characters name was originally M.Bison too, before they assigned that name to the character we all saw in SF2 under that name. (SO one could logically assume that M Bison's original name was Balrog.)

The character was originally definitely modelled on Tyson.

M. Bison as in the General M. Bison was originally Vega and Claw Vega was Balrog, an ugly name for a beautiful man.

Sadako of Girth
Well quite the game of switcheroo then as M Bison was clearly originally M Tyson.

Bardock42
They didn't want to have Vega be the name of the ultimate enemy as it was considered too tame, for the US and European market.

Wei Phoenix
Well quite the game of switcheroo then as M Bison was clearly originally M Tyson.

No the M. is for Mike as in Mike Bison which sounds a lot like Mike Tyson.

KidRock
http://www.keepaa.com/images/anon/2009/200904/20090404/c2a7334f2d4ceb5c528bd946584e4b9c.jpg

Sado22
laughing
this is stupid. we dont need people running around making a big deal about something this trivial.

he doesn't look like a monkey. he's based on Mike Tyson, a fact anyone who plays the game would know because in Japan he's even called Mike Bison and one of his quotes from SFA3 has "i'll bite your ear off!" in it. not to mention that EVERYONE in this game looks fugly. i guess that makes them sociopaths or something.

he says "my fight money" because he's a boxer. that's their payday. obviously he'd be upset if he lost.

~Sado

lord xyz
Originally posted by KidRock
http://www.keepaa.com/images/anon/2009/200904/20090404/c2a7334f2d4ceb5c528bd946584e4b9c.jpg That was pretty good.

Dyno

Ken represents U.S.A, not Ryu.

Nemesis X
Oh for god sakes, leave Capcom alone. They're not being racists. They had enough trouble trying to convince the public that RE5 isn't racist and they're certainly not gonna deal with this. Who isn't craving for money? You think that just because an african american is craving money, you think it's a sign of racism? rolling on floor laughing

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
No the M. is for Mike as in Mike Bison which sounds a lot like Mike Tyson.

Ummm yeah.

I know.

Theres no "No" to it.

Wei Phoenix
Ummm yeah.

I know.

Theres no "No" to it.

You said his name was Mike Tyson in the game and thats false. His name was Mike BISON.

Sadako of Girth
No I didnt.

You appear to have misunderstood summat there.

Robtard
Keep your Yorkery out of here.

chomperx9
Keep your Yorkery out of here. i love your sig ^ mine has a little more color but i give yours the lead smile

LordFear
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
As a black dude I see no racism in Balrog/Mike Bison. He screams his fight money because a losing boxer is a broke boxer.

He's a greedy boxer, he doesn't need a huge reason or cause to fight outside of getting prize money. Thats how most boxers are.

God I hate the fact that Capcom pussied out in RE5. I'm seeing an abundance of whites, hispanics, and ambiguous races. I was surprised that the tribal enemies were all black.

I respectfully decline on this one. I can list a number of boxers who box not because of prize money or fame but simply because of pride and wanting to be the best. Furthermore, this is a STREET FIGHT, why the hell would he be saying fight money. This is a world tournament, I never heard that the victor would receive any money from the proceeds.

LordFear
"Basis for it"?

Not blaming anybody pal. Just simply making an observation as I mentioned in the beginning of the post. Furthermore it not merely a Black thing as I have also mentioned regarding other characters. So if you gonna make assumptions get them right

lil bitchiness
Yeah, it's racist. Everything is racist.

Even things you would never think to be racist - are racist. If you dig long and hard you'll find the racism.

Racism!

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yeah, it's racist. Everything is racist.

Even things you would never think to be racist - are racist. If you dig long and hard you'll find the racism.

Racism! Hear what racist thing Russia did to Georgia again?

jalek moye
I respectfully decline on this one. I can list a number of boxers who box not because of prize money or fame but simply because of pride and wanting to be the best. Furthermore, this is a STREET FIGHT, why the hell would he be saying fight money. This is a world tournament, I never heard that the victor would receive any money from the proceeds.
well in general people view boxers as fighting for money, since its there job. and most tournaments i know of have prize money. but yea he is a mike tyson parody

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hear what racist thing Russia did to Georgia again?

Yeah. IT WAS RACIST!!

I find your comment racist towards racism of Russians towards racist Georgians.

You racist.

killakyle
these are just CHARACTERS. Don't look too deep into Street Fighter. Just saying...

chomperx9
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yeah. IT WAS RACIST!!

I find your comment racist towards racism of Russians towards racist Georgians.

You racist. everyone is racist give him some slack i am you are he is EVERYONE

jalek moye
Originally posted by chomperx9
everyone is racist give him some slack i am you are he is EVERYONE
i'm not

JacopeX
Ok guys, the new Street Fighter game that is out right now. My question is why the heck is Balrog not only the sole character designed to look like a damn monkey but more importantly why is it he always yells" My fight moneeeeeyyyyy" when you kick his ass? Is this how Asians and other cultures view African Americans, as just money hungry monkeys? You clearly never played the game Punch Out.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chomperx9
everyone is racist give him some slack i am you are he is EVERYONE

Only negros and mexicans say that.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Only negros and mexicans say that. laughing

LordFear
Originally posted by JacopeX
You clearly never played the game Punch Out.

A childhood fav of mine but racism abound on that game. One black character's lips are so freaking exagerrated that I think it went beyond the realm of caricature/parody.

CATMANEXE
man. this has happened with every Street Fighter game since 2.
yet, in every single instance ive never seen one German ***** that theres a depicted nazi war criminal in the game. lol!

Bardock42
Originally posted by CATMANEXE
man. this has happened with every Street Fighter game since 2.
yet, in every single instance ive never seen one German ***** that theres a depicted nazi war criminal in the game. lol!

There's no Nazi war criminal, I'm almost sure...

CATMANEXE
what do you think M.Bison is a metaphor of?
his uniform and insignias which are actaully Generalissimo Killts from Bionic Commando give it away, outside the fact that he's a dictator.

jalek moye
what do you think M.Bison is a metaphor of?
his uniform and insignias which are actaully Generalissimo Killts from Bionic Commando give it away, outside the fact that he's a dictator.
m. bison was actually supposed to be balrogs name

and honestly hes more based off of dictators in general not specififcly german related

CATMANEXE
Originally posted by jalek moye
m. bison was actually supposed to be balrogs name

and honestly hes more based off of dictators in general not specififcly german related

yeah, everyone knows the name thing. whats that got to do with it. read my post first.

his costume and insignias were the same one worn by Generalissimo Killt.
the nazi in Bionic Commando who reincarnated Hitler.

jalek moye
u said what do u think its a metaphor for, so i assumed u were talking about bison not balrog.

CATMANEXE
you knew what i meant, why would you think i meant the boxer character was a dictator.

Bardock42
yeah, everyone knows the name thing. whats that got to do with it. read my post first.

his costume and insignias were the same one worn by Generalissimo Killt.
the nazi in Bionic Commando who reincarnated Hitler. But that's like three times removed at best, and indeed can be used as any character, and besides, why would Germans be offended by an evil dictator being modeled after Hitler. It's a silly comparison, there's no reason why any German would get offended by M.Bison, who doesn't have any stereotypical German traits, nor is he in the Game associated with Germany. Balrog on the other hand is very much associated with African Americans, he is portrayed as a money thirsting, almost savage creature, and you could find that offensive, really.

chidori210
Originally posted by KidRock
http://www.keepaa.com/images/anon/2009/200904/20090404/c2a7334f2d4ceb5c528bd946584e4b9c.jpg

LOOOOOOL laughing but tbh i think that i will b the only back guy in the future o.O

jalek moye
you knew what i meant, why would you think i meant the boxer character was a dictator.
no i had no idea what you meant or mean, but what his name is a metaphor .

CATMANEXE
Originally posted by Bardock42
But that's like three times removed at best, and indeed can be used as any character, and besides, why would Germans be offended by an evil dictator being modeled after Hitler. It's a silly comparison, there's no reason why any German would get offended by M.Bison, who doesn't have any stereotypical German traits, nor is he in the Game associated with Germany. Balrog on the other hand is very much associated with African Americans, he is portrayed as a money thirsting, almost savage creature, and you could find that offensive, really.

how so is he associated with African Americans? he's a potrayal
of Mike Tyson. he isnt associated with African Americans anymore
or less than Tyson is. he's only a parody of a certain celebrity, not to disparage an entire race, in fact theres been a few black characters in the Street Fighter series that did not fit this negative mold. he is no
more an intentional slam on the African American community as a
whole is than Mike Tyson himself is.

the reason Germans dont get offended by a character in a video game who IS based on Nazi Germans (again, play Bionic Commando straight through to its end, then try again. you fight Hitler at the end of the game) because they arent that silly to actually care about a parody.

Bardock42
how so is he associated with African Americans? he's a potrayal
of Mike Tyson. he isnt associated with African Americans anymore
or less than Tyson is. he's only a parody of a certain celebrity, not to disparage an entire race, in fact theres been a few black characters in the Street Fighter series that did not fit this negative mold. he is no
more an intentional slam on the African American community as a
whole is than Mike Tyson himself is.

the reason Germans dont get offended by a character in a video game who IS based on Nazi Germans (again, play Bionic Commando straight through to its end, then try again. you fight Hitler at the end of the game) because they arent that silly to actually care about a parody.

Again, that's because there is no reason to get offended by a portrayal of a nazi war criminal as evil or insane, there is reason though by the portrayal of a black man as a savage, money grabbing ape.

I am not saying that the latter happened with Balrog, personally I think it didn't really, but your comparison to Nazi War Criminals is weak, as that is not offensive, to anyone, except maybe Nazi War Criminals....who are an extremely unvocal minority nowadays.

LordFear
Some Germans are actually proud of Hitler to this day and wear their reputation as a badge of honor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.