District 9

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Just saw a preview of this; must say, has me intrigued. I first thought it was an 'Alien Nation' remake, but towards the end of the trailer, you see it's not, though maybe inspired by.

http://d-9.com/

SnakeEyes
Yeah, I'm very much looking forward to this film. Hopefully, we'll see more of the aliens' appearance in the actual movie (since the one's face is blurred out in the trailer). Anyway I'm intrigued as well.

jaden101
Yeah if the film is as interesting as the way it's being promoted then it'll be good.

The website is good.

MildPossession
It looked rather good up until you see the alien at the end... I've got to see more of the design but from that shot it looked a bit cheesy to me.

D-Wag
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/large.html

FistOfThe North
yesterday, after watching wolverine, i saw the trailer and it might be a sleeper hit. it's he best sci fi trailer i've seen since cloverfiled.

I came home afterward played the trailer on youtube for couple of people and the were like "..whoa".

At first when I seen it I thought it was some kind of documentary or telethon infomertial asking for donations while asking that the UN peace keepers leave their country cause they were somehow more a detrement than a benefit. then I saw peter jacksons' name and saw that alien interview while it was speaking in it's tounge and man. To me this looks like it's gonna be a must see movie.

jaden101
With it being set in South Africa it's quite clearly an odd look at the Apartheid years.

H. S. 6
This is based on the short film "Alive in Joberg" by the same director (Blomkamp, who was on board to direct the Halo movie before it was canned).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

MildPossession
The aliens are a massive improvement in the new full length film, those in the short look like rejects from Doctor Who...

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by H. S. 6
This is based on the short film "Alive in Joberg" by the same director (Blomkamp, who was on board to direct the Halo movie before it was canned).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

After i saw Peter Jackson's name followed by a view of that "cloud city" and that alien interview i immediately thought "Halo", but was unfortunately incorrect, but not upset cause from the trailer the movie looks really good. And it's a Peter Jackson production so i have some confidence in the movie, as well.

Mr. Rhythmic
I just saw "Alive in Joberg", and it was amazing. I have high hopes for "District 9".

jinXed by JaNx
Come on really. Are we really complaining about the alien now. Obviously it is made out to look like an insect which fits perfectly with the metaphor of forcing them to live in slums lol. All i can say is that this trailer entertained me more than the movie..,WOLVERINE...,fukin balls man...,fukin balls.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
this trailer entertained me more than the movie..,WOLVERINE...,fukin balls man...,fukin balls.

http://www.susansizemore.com/WolverineConvergence/OneClaw.jpg

Robtard
Jinx has a point, as Origins was balls. Sweaty, sticky balls.

Nemesis X
So you're pretty much saying "I'd rather look at a trailer that shows nothing but a giant spaceship and an insect from space that lasts less than five minutes over Wolverine kicking some major ass which is awesome. I'm just an idiot."

You are sad sad people.

Robtard
Don't call anyone else an idiot when you lack basic comprehension. He said Wolverine was balls, I agree with him on that aspect, hence my "sweaty, sticky balls" comment.

There was nothing "awesome" or awe inspiring about that movie, you thinking it is, is sad.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't call anyone else an idiot when you lack basic comprehension. He said Wolverine was balls, I agree with him on that aspect, hence my "sweaty, sticky balls" comment.

There was nothing "awesome" or awe inspiring about that movie, you thinking it is, is sad.

Well look who's acting like smartass of the year.

Nothing awesome? My god your comment is a load of BS. Wolverine fighting that jeep and the helicopter looked awesome. If you didn't even find that to be awesome, how do you even know what awesome is?

Robtard
You called me an idiot on both something I didn't initially say and for not liking a movie. If I'm the smart-ass of the year, then you take the dumb-ass O.T.Y. title, sir.

That helicopter scene was decent, at best. Funny thing you bring that up, as after that scene, the movie took a serious nose-dive all the way to the crashing (ie fail) end.

Nemesis X
You called me an idiot on both something I didn't initially say and for not liking a movie. If I'm the smart-ass of the year, then you take the dumb-ass O.T.Y. title, sir.

That helicopter scene was decent, at best. Funny thing you bring that up, as after that scene, the movie took a serious nose-dive all the way to the crashing (ie fail) end.

I said you acted like one. ACTED. When I say you act like a smartass I mean you're trying to sound smart but really you're not. You take the dumbass title, sir.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Nemesis X
So you're pretty much saying "I'd rather look at a trailer that shows nothing but a giant spaceship and an insect from space that lasts less than five minutes over Wolverine kicking some major ass which is awesome. I'm just an idiot."

You are sad sad people.

laughing out loud

love Wolverine dude but there were no risks, story, acting or even Special effects. It was a cheap toy made it china for pennies and sold in america for millions. Do you understand what i mean, homie? The movie lacked heart...soul or even goddamn direction. That's all i'm sayin.

About district, however. That movie trailer looked new, and interesting. Not quite sure if it's some more propaganda bullshit which it may be but it looks as though it reminds me of a well thought out story such as "Alien Nation". I don't know though, all i've seen is the trailer and peter jacksons name laughing out loud I bet you a thousand dollars though, it'll be a heap loads better than Wolverine. Just because Wolverine was better than Xmen 1 and 3 doesn't mean it's a good thing. Someone made a comic book hero film with passion and it flopped...Edward Nortons, The Hulk. See, people just want more of the same senseless bullshit shoved down their throats. Pretty colors fast pictures and beautiful actors. There are people out there trying to transform comic book stories into art rather than a cheap lame gimmick smokin' I never thought i'd say it...,Wolverine sucks. Logan can suck a wang because im sick and tired of having him shoved down my goddamn throat. Every true fan knows that Cyclops is the Leader of the X-men. Not Wolverine and the X-men...,wtf is that? mad

Kids are being brainwashed today. Go rewatch the cartoons of the xmen dude. It's sad when two half hour, Saturday morning cartoon shows are far better than Multi million dollar movies.

Nemesis X
You're asking for the middle claw Janx. The movie did not suck. It was full of action. Action is all I care about. You think just because there are a load of famous actors and bright colors (are you really serious about the color thing?), you think we're all getting brainwashed? And people say bums who shout about the apocalypse coming soon is nuts.

Robtard
I said you acted like one. ACTED. When I say you act like a smartass I mean you're trying to sound smart but really you're not. You take the dumbass title, sir.

Yet again with the low comprehension skills, sad really, I said "if". Also love the "No you!" response, classic.

Origins sucked, as did most of the action in it. Telling you love movies without substance and just care for a bit of flashy nonsense.

Anyhow, this thread is about District 9, you can go masturbate over all the empty flashy nonsense that was Orgins in the Orgins thread.

Nemesis X
you can go masturbate over all the empty flashy nonsense that was Orgins in the Orgins thread.

Did you ever think about removing the letters O and B off your user name and replace them with E?

Robtard
You're not only a genius, but also original.

MildPossession
Boys, go and talk about Wolverine in the relevent topics, totally different films, back to District 9 before I spank you both.

I wasn't talking about how it's an insect, just how it looks in materials/effects and made up. Just hope it looks less Doctor Who cheap and more realistic(I know we don't have giant alien insects but you know what I mean)

stick out tongue

Robtard
It wasn't topnotch cgi, but it was a sight better than TV show quality.

Movie probably doesn't have a huge budget either, I'm okay with that too, as long as the story delivers, the bugs don't need to look better than they do, from what little we see.

MildPossession
It's better than the short film at least. Adored the space ship scene with the shot of the helicopters rising up towards it. Brilliant effects there.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by MildPossession
It looked rather good up until you see the alien at the end... I've got to see more of the design but from that shot it looked a bit cheesy to me.

The alien's design isn't what hooked me on the film. It's the plot, the direction, and the amazingly well done mockumentary style of it that wowed me from the trailer(and the six minute long movie).

jinXed by JaNx
Boys, go and talk about Wolverine in the relevent topics, totally different films, back to District 9 before I spank you both.

I wasn't talking about how it's an insect, just how it looks in materials/effects and made up. Just hope it looks less Doctor Who cheap and more realistic(I know we don't have giant alien insects but you know what I mean)

stick out tongue

Seems like i can never avoid getting myself in trouble with you laughing out loud
I wouldn't be worried though. The shot of the spacecraft looked damn incredible. Compare that to how the distorted alien creature looked, i'm thinking they were going for a more surreal tone. You know, maybe the effects are purposely made to look dodgy in that specific scene because of the type of film being used. This is what i'm hoping at least. The last thing we need is another outlander. Sci fi channel, special effects, in a big persons movie.

jinXed by JaNx
You're asking for the middle claw Janx. The movie did not suck. It was full of action. Action is all I care about. You think just because there are a load of famous actors and bright colors (are you really serious about the color thing?), you think we're all getting brainwashed? And people say bums who shout about the apocalypse coming soon is nuts.

you're right man, as long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters. I'm just tired of seeing the X-men get crapped on.

MildPossession
*spanks*

SnakeEyes
Uncensored trailer (no blurring of the alien's face/subtitles when it talks): http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/06/district-9-teaser-trailer-the-uncensored-version/#more-27409

Robtard
Nice find and the plot thickens, as they're captives, yet seem to have far superior technology.

FistOfThe North
you lack basic comprehension.

You thinking he's sad for thinking so, is sad.

He is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Yet he's "sad" cause he liked the movie? Or cause his view of the film differed from yours?

who lacks basic comprehension?

MildPossession
Anyway, that shot without the blurry block is much better, and loved the subtitles.

Robtard
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
You thinking he's sad for thinking so, is sad.

He is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Yet he's "sad" cause he liked the movie? Or cause his view of the film differed from yours?

who lacks basic comprehension?

Why are you being a moron?

1) He first threw a hissy fit because Jinx and I didn't like the movie. Are we not entitled to not like it/our opinion?

2) He first thought we were "sad, sad people", for not liking it.

3) You either didn't bother reading the entire exchange and knee-jerked, or you also lack basic comprehension. (BTW, what you wrongly accused me of wouldn't be a comprehension problem)

Yes, he's entitled to his opinion, but when he shits his pants because others didn't go crazy over a shitty Wolverine movie as he did, then there's a problem.

Mr. Rhythmic
God, that uncensored trailer was amazing. This is DEFINITELY on my must see list.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
God, that uncensored trailer was amazing. This is DEFINITELY on my must see list.

Agreed, just those few lines from the alien doubled the interest.

MildPossession
*spanks* Robtard.

Robtard
*spanks* Robtard.

That's not right, I said my bit and let it go, they keep dragging me back in.

Mr. Rhythmic
That's not right, I said my bit and let it go, they keep dragging me back in.

Use the ignore list.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Use the ignore list.

Ignore list is for wussies. laughing

This movie looks good. I don't like it that we are holding captive, the Aliens. That just means they will get angry with us. It looks like a movie that I would want to rewrite from the beginning.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Ignore list is for wussies. laughing

This movie looks good. I don't like it that we are holding captive, the Aliens. That just means they will get angry with us. It looks like a movie that I would want to rewrite from the beginning.

True.

Na, that's the intriguing part, we'd assume they have far superior technology, as that ship seems impressive, yet it seems they allow themselves to be held and forced to live in shanties.

If they came here and had no where to go, it's be too similar to Alien Nation.

dadudemon
True.

Na, that's the intriguing part, we'd assume they have far superior technology, as that ship seems impressive, yet it seems they allow themselves to be held and forced to live in shanties.

If they came here and had no where to go, it's be too similar to Alien Nation.

True. I see your point. It removes the anthropic assignment I've given the aliens. I made an error because of my human assumptions about how they would act in that situation. However, the dialogue seems very human. (I'm talking about the subtitles of what the alien is saying.)

I was also thinking that we would be helping the aliens as much as possible.....especially if we understood or had a way to decipher their language.

jinXed by JaNx

I was also thinking that we would be helping the aliens as much as possible.....especially if we understood or had a way to decipher their language.

I'm also certain that we would be helping the Aliens as much as possible if they had a bigass flying spaceship like the one we saw in the trailer laughing out loud

I have my suspicions that this movie is going to have a strong anti-human message. It seems that lately, we have been being convinced to feel bad about our humanity.

Scythe
This movie has me quite interested. The premise grabbed me, and I'm hoping Peter Jackson comes through with an awesome flick.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Scythe
This movie has me quite interested. The premise grabbed me, and I'm hoping Peter Jackson comes through with an awesome flick.

You realize Peter Jackson's not directing, right? He's producing.

H. S. 6
I'm also certain that we would be helping the Aliens as much as possible if they had a bigass flying spaceship like the one we saw in the trailer laughing out loud

I have my suspicions that this movie is going to have a strong anti-human message. It seems that lately, we have been being convinced to feel bad about our humanity.

Amen. How many more "Stop littering or is going to kill you" movies can we take? (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Shyamalan).

I understand the message, and the point, but you can only have so much shoved down your throat before you start to gag. stick out tongue

Scythe
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
You realize Peter Jackson's not directing, right? He's producing.

Yeah, but I'm a Peter Jackson fan, so I'm hoping he'll never attach his name to something that flubs.

Kazenji
Neil Blomkamp is directing it, He was the guy that was attached to the Halo movie before it got postponed or whatever the hell happen to it.

Scythe
Originally posted by Kazenji
Neil Blomkamp is directing it, He was the guy that was attached to the Halo movie before it got postponed or whatever the hell happen to it.

Yeah I heard about that. I honestly wanted to see a Halo movie, I couldn't get into the games, but Master Chief is pretty cool.

Back on topic, this seems like a neat movie, I liked the documentary style opening.

jaden101

You can see that "Alive in Joberg" when the troops are attacking that they have a Halo feel about them.

dadudemon

Amen on both points. I don't see why we wouldn't be helping them, especially since it appears we know their language. Even the cold heartless US government would be trying to help them as much as possible....and not be asking how their weapons work.

WO Polaski
Originally posted by jaden101
You can see that "Alive in Joberg" when the troops are attacking that they have a Halo feel about them.

Halo 3 Live-Action viral movie, also made by Neill Blomkamp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BaVb2TlWb0&fmt=18&annotation_id=annotation_955493&feature=iv

yeah the man makes excellent movies, and with low-budgets no less

Scythe
Originally posted by WO Polaski
Halo 3 Live-Action viral movie, also made by Neill Blomkamp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BaVb2TlWb0&fmt=18&annotation_id=annotation_955493&feature=iv

yeah the man makes excellent movies, and with low-budgets no less

That was fantastic.

Kazenji
Imagine what he could've do with a bigger budget, Lets hope something happens with the Halo movie after District 9.

nimbus006
I like the direction the trailer seems to be going with respect to the story.

It's kind of refreshing to see a movie with aliens that aren't trying to annihilate Earth.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

Mr. Rhythmic

Failurine was a horrible movie,

Robtard
Amen on both points. I don't see why we wouldn't be helping them, especially since it appears we know their language. Even the cold heartless US government would be trying to help them as much as possible....and not be asking how their weapons work.

Hahahahahaahhahaa, that was a joke, right?

Most of humanity would be repulsed due to their insect-like nature, we'd be trying to garnish any and all technology for our advantage and the religious sects would either be vilifying them or trying to convert them.

dadudemon
Hahahahahaahhahaa, that was a joke, right?

Most of humanity would be repulsed due to their insect-like nature, we'd be trying to garnish any and all technology for our advantage and the religious sects would either be vilifying them or trying to convert them.

hahahahahahahahaahaha

no.

And, no, almost all of humanity would be fascinated for at least a short while with the rest of humanity being professionals, remaining fascinated until all secrets were unlocked. The scientific community would be creaming their proverbial pants for decades. Tons of humanitarian groups would rise up in protest the moment anyone found out about unfair treatment. If they were mistreated in anyway, people all over the world, especially the scientific community, would protest and vilify the perpetrators. Oh, and don't forget about all of the people trying their hardest to help them in any way for as long as it took.

Now, I agree on the conversion part. I wouldn't be shocked to see some jay dubs and Mormons up in their shanties.

MildPossession
^ tell that to the humans all over the world who are badly treated at the moment and no one coming to the rescue... if we can treat our own species negatively, an alien species isn't going to be any different.

Robtard
Dude, there are masses/groups pf people who are mistreated because of trivial differences and most of humanity doesn't care, sure they'll drop their spare .47 cents into the jar after they buy their coffee, but then it's out of sight and out of mind. So you really think they're going to care if giant alien insects are being mistreated? Funny.

The science community would be fascinated in learning, but not from an 'equals' standpoint. The military would be interested in reverse-engineering and destroying possible threats.

Yeah, they'll be small groups protesting, just as their always is, but Joe-Average, won't.

Edit: Or what Mild said.

dadudemon
^ tell that to the humans all over the world who are badly treated at the moment and no one coming to the rescue... if we can treat our own species negatively, an alien species isn't going to be any different.

Your point fails to recognize how ridiculously excited the scientific community would be, the novelty of an alien species, and the humanitarian fanatics who actively try to assist those same people you mentioned.

And, yes, the alien species would certainly be treated differently on so many levels.

Dude, there are masses/groups pf people who are mistreated because of trivial differences and most of humanity doesn't care, sure they'll drop their spare .47 cents into the jar after they buy their coffee, but then it's out of sight and out of mind. So you really think they're going to care if giant alien insects are being mistreated? Funny.

The science community would be fascinated in learning, but not from an 'equals' standpoint. The military would be interested in reverse-engineering and destroying possible threats.

Yeah, they'll be small groups protesting, just as their always is, but Joe-Average, won't.

Edit: Or what Mild said.

Humans treat other humans poorly, so automatically you can assume that the world's governments will treat the aliens poorly. Does not follow. Especially since they come under scrutiny at the drop of a hat the moment anyone even smells unethical behavior. You do see the big stink being made about the "torture" done post 9-11, right? Well, not only would you have all of the media making a big deal about it, you'd also have the scientific and humanitarian communities making a big stink about it. Oh, and not to mention average-joe who like sci-fi or average joe who thought aliens existed only to be proven right.

Edit - Now, there's one thing none of us have considered. Maybe they bring with them stench, disease, pollution, or something else that is undesirable. Maybe, on top of that, they have been around for a few years and we see no signs of them leaving, in addition to their pollution of some sort. If this is the case, then, yes, I would agree with the sentiments in the movie. People would be like that and the government would try their best to use some of the technology before they left or were killed off by hating humans.

MildPossession
FEAR, is all I say. Nice alien or evil alien.

jinXed by JaNx
*spanks* Robtard.

laughing out loud

Happy Dance stick out tongue

Robtard
laughing out loud

Happy Dance stick out tongue

Don't worry, after said spanking, I gave her the shocker; she loved it.

dadudemon
Don't worry, after said spanking, I gave her the shocker; she loved it.

Lies. She's partial to the spocker.

MildPossession
Urgh, no thank you to both. Try it and you get a knitting needle shoved up your arse.

Robtard
Why all the hostility of a finger (or two) in the bum?

MildPossession
It's the bum bit. stick out tongue

dadudemon

crylaugh

That response couldn't have been better. thumb up

Robtard

Liar, you're just being modest.

jinXed by JaNx
Urgh, no thank you to both. Try it and you get a knitting needle shoved up your arse.

So, good Mp...,how you doin, baby? wink

Nemesis X
This is like more than the 100th time I've seen an alien insect. Don't people realize that's getting old?

dadudemon
This is like more than the 100th time I've seen an alien insect. Don't people realize that's getting old?

Nah. It's alllll good. big grin

Humanoid species, however, are probably getting old. Wuddayoothink?

Mr. Rhythmic

And "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" was like more than the 100th time I've seen a badass fighting the government in revenge for the death of their loved one, only to find that all he knows is a lie. Don't people realize that's getting old?

Kazenji
VjihaK7HfGs

BackFire
I've seen the trailer a few times now and it always seems intriguing until they show the muppet looking alien.

FistOfThe North
i liked the first trailer better. Now it's on some radical cgi fighting action with suspense and super power aliens and with armour suits.

Now it's beginning to look not as real-like.

Like the first trailer had that documentary feel to it. When i saw the first trailer for the very first time I actually thought i was watching real world news footage of some kinda crisis until it read, "Thing is...They are not human.." or something like that, followed by that alien interview. And i loved it even more..

It seemed more like a smart sociopolitical drama with a sci-fi twist but after watching the second trailer it looks like it's just gonna be another explosive gijoe/transformer fantasy type of action summer popcorn blockbuster movie.

I've gone from really wanting to check this out to i might see it.

MildPossession
I'm still as excited as ever to see it.

Robtard
I'm still as excited as ever to see it.

I agree.

There's a trailer I saw two days ago that was done in a news footage type scenario, warning people that a "non-human had escaped and was dangerous", looked good.

MildPossession
Yeah I saw something like that, I saw a clever viral trailer that looked like a television advert, telling us humans not to mix with the non-humans!

FistOfThe North
The virals looked bootleg. Like low quality, low budget. The aliens didn't even look as good as the the ones in the movie trailer and the way they acted on some of those virals seemed, just, unnatural. Like for example there was one where some of the actors, like i think a news reporter, he seemed too over the top with his super-hyped up coverage and c-lister acting while covering the aliens "quiet" ghetto with the camera over-shaking, and then the bad alien suits.. they all look fan made to me, imo.

At least the trailers made it look mad real-like. (especially the 1st trailer) Looking like real footage outta Darfur with the U.N. stepping in.

I'll have to read some more reviews on this flik before i waste time on watching it.

Sadako of Girth
This f***ing movie looks the bollocks.

I can hardly wait to see this and Im gonna avoid all spoilers as we near the release time.

It looks shit hot so far, to mine eyes.

MildPossession
It hardly looks like it's going to be a waste of time watching it, especially with the people that are involved.

jinXed by JaNx
again, as long as it's not a two hour long narrative on the current social structure or a lecture on environmentalism then i think this movie will be the one for Camerons' Avatar to beat.

SnakeEyes
I'm pretty excited for this film. There are so many directions they could take it.

Although, Inglourious Basterds still takes the cake for "most anticipated summer flick."

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

I can hardly wait to see this and Im gonna avoid all spoilers as we near the release time.

Dude, cut out those British colloquial sayings. laughing

I thought "the bollocks" was a bad thing?

MildPossession
bollocks is, but THE bollocks isn't. smile

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

rolling on floor laughing

Keep talking.

dadudemon
bollocks is, but THE bollocks isn't. smile

I figured that much...but...still.....I no likey the strange speak. sad It hurts my brain.

Is it kind of like the old 90s saying "that's bad, dude." But it really means "good"?

Nemesis X
I figured that much...but...still.....I no likey the strange speak. sad It hurts my brain.

Is it kind of like the old 90s saying "that's bad, dude." But it really means "good"?

I don't think anyone has ever used "that's bad, dude" in a good way. I do know that people use "that's sick, dude" in a good way.

Kazenji
Originally posted by BackFire
until they show the muppet looking alien.

And yet your fine with the how they did the Fly in The Fly (1989)

dadudemon
I don't think anyone has ever used "that's bad, dude" in a good way. I do know that people use "that's sick, dude" in a good way.

Didn't you watch Fern Gully?

And, yes, it was a thing in the 90s to say things were bad.

That was okay for The Fly, because it was the 80s. In this day in age, it is simply unnacceptable to do shit like that.

Kazenji
I don't think so its good

Del Toro went nuts with in Hellboy 2.

dadudemon
I don't think so its good

Del Toro went nuts with in Hellboy 2.

welllll......that's not what we were talking about....were we? I thought we were talking about muppet looking aliens and aliens that had people dressed in costumes.

Scythe
Still want to watch this.

Kazenji
welllll......that's not what we were talking about....were we? I thought we were talking about muppet looking aliens and aliens that had people dressed in costumes.

We are erm

and some of those creatures had people inside of them.

MildPossession
The effects were good at the time of release for The Fly. So pointless comparing.

Robtard
It's a bit fuzzy due to freezing it mid-second, but I personally don't think the aliens look that bad, they're giant insect-like creatures, they look just that.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8688/district9.jpg

jaden101
Is it just me or do they look like they're related to Dr Zoidberg?

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Is it just me or do they look like they're related to Dr Zoidberg?

Mildly, due to the face tentacle. I don't think they're supposed to be some Jewish parody like Zoidberg though. Will have to wait until I see the film.

dadudemon
We are erm

Oh, my bad. I thought we were talking about people dressed into cheesy alien costumes and cheesy muppets.

Yes, my post is serious and not sarcasm or derisive. I'm being serious.

Mr. Rhythmic
It's a bit fuzzy due to freezing it mid-second, but I personally don't think the aliens look that bad, they're giant insect-like creatures, they look just that.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/8688/district9.jpg

They look flat out amazing to me.

BackFire

The Fly effects look better than the alien effects in this movie.

It's the design that I don't like, more than the style of the effects. The big bug type aliens don't really fit the hyper realistic tone of the rest of the trailer.

Robtard

It's the design that I don't like, more than the style of the effects. The big bug type aliens don't really fit the hyper realistic tone of the rest of the trailer.

What would you prefer, another humanoid looking alien with just minor differences like we see many a time in Star Trek? Reptilian? Classic big-headed greys? Energy beings? Or???

omgchos
I agree with robtard. Aliens would not necessarily be humanoid in nature. The odds are astronomical.

Robtard
Originally posted by omgchos
I agree with robtard. Aliens would not necessarily be humanoid in nature. The odds are astronomical.

I like the insect-like idea mainly due the the super-vast diversity of insect life on Earth and for long they've survived and adapted. Seems their design-function is doing something right, which I see translating in it happening similar in another world.

omgchos
IF you ever watch doctor who(the old stuff) they always tried to make non-humanoid aliens a reality, tho they were on a low budget so we got these
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/NewtonDKC/Wirrn-Revision.jpg
Good effort IMO.

Robtard
Insect-like aliens certainly isn't a new concept, they've been done for years in movies and television shows.

I just think it works well in this D-9 concept/setting. If they were humanoid, it'd be too similar to Alien Nation (which was a good Sci-Fi, imo).

Kazenji

yes, my post is serious and not sarcasm or derisive. I'm being serious.

So you are

BackFire
What would you prefer, another humanoid looking alien with just minor differences like we see many a time in Star Trek? Reptilian? Classic big-headed greys? Energy beings? Or???

I've always been a fan of classic big-head greys. I also think that having them seem more humanoid would help make the theme of the film - obviously it's an allegory for human prejudice, based on prejudice by humans towards other humans - seem more sincere and thoughtful and affecting.

Also I'm never a fan of showing the creatures clearly in a trailer. A film like this, or The Fly, or Cloverfield or what have you, we need to first have our disbelief suspended, films like this have to first earn the right to be taken seriously if they're going to show something fantastical, and you can't do that in trailers. It's entirely possible that had they not shown the aliens in the trailer, but didn't change their design or style at all, I would have been fine with them within the context of the actual film, but just showing them in a trailer does nothing but make them out to be a silly novelty.

Mr. Rhythmic
The Fly effects look better than the alien effects in this movie.

I think it fits perfectly. Certain bugs have been proven to be able to survive almost any condition thrown at them. So why can't they be living on another planet? And it also allows the theory that all creatures of all planets have similarities to a level to be shown.

dadudemon
So you are

What does this mean?

I take it that you didn't intend to say that I am being serious, which is what your post would actually mean.

I think you mean to say that I am being sarcastic or derisive. Am I right?

BTW, I was not. I always put a "disclaimer" at the end of my post if it, upon first reading, would be interpretted as sarcasm. Words do not convey very well on the internets.

Myth
The trailer for this reminded me of a mixture of Independence Day, Transformers, and Terminator Salvation.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Myth
The trailer for this reminded me of a mixture of Independence Day, Transformers, and Terminator Salvation.

If there are any three things in the world to combine into one, it would definitely be those three.

=Tired Hiker=
Mark my words...this movie will be totally dope.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Myth

I loved Independence Day as a kid, but the latter two you mentioned were... not good.

Also, I disagree, I didn't get that vibe at all. I can see the Independence Day a little bit due to the big ass ship and the helicopters flying toward it though.

MildPossession
I'm with SnakeEyes, it's similar in the way it's shot and the way the helicopters go up to it, but that's all.

dadudemon
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Mark my words...this movie will be totally dope.

But...

dope is bad. Say NO to drugs.

Sadako of Girth
Don't be silly. stick out tongue

dadudemon
Cool.

Like...

You can call Multi-national United and report non-Human sightings.

Or get more information about employement.

I am dead serious.

Call

1-866-666-6001.

This is part of the viral marketing for District 9.

Edit- Holy Esss Aetch! The new preview looks EFFIN' SWEEET! Holy crap! This could be better than all movies this summer!

just go to d-9.com and it auto-plays the current preview.

SWEET!

Robtard
I'm going to call and say I keep seeing brown-people.

Nemesis X
I'm going to call and say I keep seeing brown-people.

Racist

Robtard
Racist

Pot calls kettle black.

I hate *******, in fact, I think all brown people are inferior.

Nemesis X
The heck are you doing? Don't be putting words in my mouth!

Robtard
Shouldn't have played that card, chief. Should have gone with the "it was a joke; you took it out of context" angle, racist.

dadudemon
laughing

Dude, Pubes, you're raging again. laughing

You're one funny little dude.

Prince Nauj
So they had these funny signs on the doors for the bathrooms in the movies I thought they were pretty funny it said please report non humans etc etc

I should of taken a picture

Nemesis X
laughing

Dude, Pubes, you're raging again. laughing

You're one funny little dude.

Oh just shut it dadoucheman.

dadudemon
Oh just shut it dadoucheman.

K.

I did.

But I can still type with my mouth closed.

The Nuul
This looks damn good.

crystallake
District 9 looks interesting. Think I'll have to go check it out when it comes out. I've noticed quite the number of viral marketing campaigns happening for movies lately. Cloverfield was well done. Some other movies like A Perfect Getaway's also been doing viral marketing to promote. Hopefully D9 will be as good as the marketing campaign.

Mairuzu
seeing it friday

and possibly getting some poon

MildPossession
It's not out here until September! I hate you early viewers. stick out tongue

Robtard
Will be there this Friday, I'll be sure to spoil it for you.

Mairuzu
It's not out here until September! I hate you early viewers. stick out tongue Maybe you should move stick out tongue

MildPossession
No, then I will get other films late that Britain get first. stick out tongue

Mairuzu
Well forget you. I had a room and everything all set up

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Well forget you. I had a room and everything all set up

Like the one from Otis?

Mairuzu
hahahaha. otis

The Nuul
Reviews saying this is amazing...9-10/10 or 96/100

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/district_9/

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=8461

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2009/08/03/district_9_review_a_great_film_on_all_le

This could be the best science fiction film in the last few years!

Didnt know this part...

Director Neill Blomkamp and producer Peter Jackson had teamed to work on the Halo movie, but when that collapsed, this rose from the ashes.

Halo would have been awesome.

Mairuzu
I'm probably as excited for this movie as i was cloverfield. But not as much as the Dark knight

stoned

jinXed by JaNx
After hearing that this movie is as good as, Aliens. I'm goddamn psyched to see district 9.

MildPossession
Yeah, Blomkamp has said he will not do a Halo film now, but he filmed a short some time ago based on Halo.

dadudemon
After hearing that this movie is as good as, Aliens. I'm goddamn psyched to see district 9.

Wow.

If that's true. This will be awesome. *gets a boner*

BackFire
I'd be very wary of believing such a claim. Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Robtard
Sweet, it better not suck now, because I've built myself up to expect pure awesomeness.

BackFire
You are living up to the last half of your name.

The tard part. Tard.

Robtard
Na, just have a gut feeling this will be a good one, giant insects or no.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>