The Clone Wars: Season 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CadoAngelus
Anyone who watched the first season knows that it finished with quite a cliff-hanger, Cade Bane having taken Zero the Hutt from Republic holding cells...though, why Zero...most annoying character after Jar Jar in my opinion.

anyways, a couple of episodes of the new season have already got plots, and it would seem that Lucas has done what he does best, and that's taking a good thing and repeated it. In this case, Cade Bane being in the first 3 consecutive episodes. Sure, he was good as a new bad guy at the end of the first season, and it'll be cool to see him get his comeuppance, but 3 episodes...

anyone else think this is a bit much for him?

Ordo
I would hardly call the end of season one a cliff-hangar...

Everyone was back to square 1 and we had about 1 cm of character development to show for it. Lucas has always had a problem repeating things... he just doesn't actually build on anything. If we can get three episodes about Grievous trying to effectivly use a superweapon, we sure as well better to be get some on Cad Bane.

Hybris
I agree with Ordo. There wasn't much of cliffhanger... Cadbane is just another bounty hunter (like Jango / Durge before him. And at least they had some interesting backgrounds / weaponry).

Bane is just a lame alien version of Clint Eastwood, that will be defeated by the good guys...

CadoAngelus
so you think that 3 more episodes based around him is too much also...

Ordo
3 episodes?

It seems like they're doing seasons of him...if they killed him off after 4 episodes I'd be disappointed.

Hybris
Well I can't imagine Cad Bane taking part in huge battles, so I'm guessing the whole point of Clone Wars at an epic scale will be lost again...
The first season didn't even have any fight as we saw them in The Clone Wars movie on Christophisis...

Sure, there was Anakin's cruiser helping Aayla's - that was awesome - but that was the only scene that made me feel like there was a war going on out there. I know that wars aren't always fought on big battlefields, but so far it's been ridiculous...
Compare parts of RotS (like the battle over Coruscant or the assault on Utapau) to what we've seen in TCW so far and you'll realise what I'm talking about.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Hybris
Well I can't imagine Cad Bane taking part in huge battles, so I'm guessing the whole point of Clone Wars at an epic scale will be lost again...
The first season didn't even have any fight as we saw them in The Clone Wars movie on Christophisis...

Sure, there was Anakin's cruiser helping Aayla's - that was awesome - but that was the only scene that made me feel like there was a war going on out there. I know that wars aren't always fought on big battlefields, but so far it's been ridiculous...
Compare parts of RotS (like the battle over Coruscant or the assault on Utapau) to what we've seen in TCW so far and you'll realise what I'm talking about.

I guess the arguement for that is that it's the last push before the end of the war and the CIS are trying to hit the Republic where it hurts...

However, i know exactly what you mean. The film was based entirely around a battle field...the first couple of episodes tie that up pretty quickly. But I think GL is trying too hard to explain the characters and their motives behind everything. If he made it seem like a galaxy wide war and managed to fit some backstory into it then fair enough, but he's opted for backstory over action.

I think, from observation, the Jedi TCW tends to follow are more skirmish operatives then soldiers in the heat of battle. I can imagine there are huge battles on other planets, but we're just not seeing them...

Ordo
its a bad argument...the CIS got better and bigger as the war progressed?

Geonosis wasn't small and was actually much bigger in EU conceptions than it was in the movie.

I agree with Hybris...only Jedi Crash REALLY portrayed Battle. Innocents and Liberty had elements too...but not overhwelming elements. The opening space battle in Jedi Crash was the first time the series made me go "Woah."

Big battles may be happening elsewhere, but WHY aren't we seeing them? It cant be because we're spending time on character development, because there is about ZERO of that in this series. We've just got a whole bunch of nothing. No battles, no characters. We just go through the motions every Friday at 9.

+10STR
Cad's a cool character, but come on, Bane? Pfft, why don't they just name him Skywalker.....no originality...

Ordo
Ditto on that.

CadoAngelus
it's true, GL repeats names a hell of a lot...but you gotta give it to him, he's created a hell of a lot of names in the first place

Ordo
I sincerely doubt he came up with Bane...in either character's case.

Alkaselzer
Lucas doesn't come up with the vast majority of the names in Star Wars. Planets and important characters in the films are just about it.

queeq
I'd like to see much less of the movie characters.

CadoAngelus
i agree, it'll give it a fresh feeling, as opposed to just giving a different angle on something was already know about...

i hope the upcoming TV series will be like that

queeq
Doubt it.

Ordo
I want the TV series to be Leia's backstory...sort of a Battlestar meets West Wing lol.

That would rock. I already know I'm not going to get it though.

Rumor has it Mandos will be in it though smile

queeq
At least you might get your mandos then.

Bespin Bart
Fett is likely going to be around.

queeq
Is he a Mando? wink

Ordo
No but this guy is:

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/mandalorianiron/Picture1.png

~from the Season 2 Preview @ Disney Star Wars Weekends.

CadoAngelus
=O BOBA FETT

Ordo
I doubt its Fett. He was too young at this time to be what looks like an adult in full armor. The markings are also radically different. Its most likely a new villain...or...if Filoni wants to be edgy...a new ally.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Ordo
I doubt its Fett. He was too young at this time to be what looks like an adult in full armor. The markings are also radically different. Its most likely a new villain...or...if Filoni wants to be edgy...a new ally.

adult in full armour? the pic shows the head only...and mid-clone wars Boba would've been verging on late teens early adulthood...so why's it unlikely. There are a tonne of Boba Fett books set during the clone wars with him donning the full Jango armour...and tbh, the helmet doesn't look too dissimilar to Jango's helmet...

Ordo
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
adult in full armour? the pic shows the head only...and mid-clone wars Boba would've been verging on late teens early adulthood...so why's it unlikely. There are a tonne of Boba Fett books set during the clone wars with him donning the full Jango armour...and tbh, the helmet doesn't look too dissimilar to Jango's helmet...

Ok, well as someone who actually saw the video before it was taken down, there was more than just the head. That was just the screenshot I took.

Boba was 10 in AOTC. That means by the END of the Clone Wars, he'd be 13...and we dont even know if we are at the end of the war as opposed to the middle.

And DUH the helmet doesn't look dissimilar....they ALL look similar. Thats kind of the point.

My original point, which you neglected, is that I dont know who this character is. But I doubt its Boba given his age and the helmet style. Jango and Boba had antenna on their helmets. Thus Mando does not. Also, what is clearly visible in the video (and in the pic if you look closely) is that there are three painted marking above the visor, something neither Boba nor Jango had.

+10STR
Look at the Clone Wars tv show, then look at the Old Republic game trailer and silently rage at George Lucas for not giving us 30min episodes of this quality. Seriously. Big fat 'f*ck you' to Lucas.
killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=488601&pagenumber=7

Ordo
OK.

1. KOTOR sucks like no other part of Star Wars

2. Thats a cinematic game trailer, very different than a multi-season TV show.

3. Lucas is as much a driving force behind Clone Wars as Filoni.

4. Yes. Season 1 of Clone Wars was vastly inadequate and we deserve some quality.

CadoAngelus
Boba Fett: Pic of Boba towards the mid-end of the clone wars, repainted armour and such, as a bounty hunter...

nevertheless, you were right about the patterns on the above Madalorians armour...

Mandrag Ganon
OK.

1. KOTOR sucks like no other part of Star Wars

Ok, hang on. KOTOR is far superior than the Clone Wars. Hell it's beter than the entire Prequel trilogy.

Kotor 2? not no much, but to be fair it was an extremely rushed game and had no hope of being as good as the original.

Ordo
Boba Fett: Pic of Boba towards the mid-end of the clone wars, repainted armour and such, as a bounty hunter...

nevertheless, you were right about the patterns on the above Madalorians armour...

Thats a pic stright from the OT that was cut out and photoshopped in front of Anakin....its a fanon picture. Its not actually an original pic created for media in that time. Anyway, this so far off topic it needs to end and as you said, I'm right.

CadoAngelus
Thats a pic stright from the OT that was cut out and photoshopped in front of Anakin....its a fanon picture. Its not actually an original pic created for media in that time. Anyway, this so far off topic it needs to end and as you said, I'm right.

It's a book cover from one of the clone wars books...and it's a picture just enforcing that he was a bounty hunter in the clone wars, regardless of his age

Ordo
Thats fine I never disputed that...

queeq
Ordo is a true Mando Guru. wink

Gideon
I'd like for the special ops missions to no longer be the focus of the series. It's called the Clone Wars. So how about some massive invasions? Fleet vs. fleet action?

And how about more CIS victories? They actually won some of the fights according to the supplement EU.

Hybris
Originally posted by Gideon
I'd like for the special ops missions to no longer be the focus of the series. It's called the Clone Wars. So how about some massive invasions? Fleet vs. fleet action?

And how about more CIS victories? They actually won some of the fights according to the supplement EU.

that's what ordo and I have been saying since the series began big grin

Gideon
I'm right there with you.

Not to mention this whole series neuters the villains to a disturbing degree. Weaker, incompetent... I'm only glad they keep Palpatine out of the spotlight.

queeq
Good point.

Hybris
It would be nice for Boba to have an encounter with General Grievous, as he had in some novel / comic.

But what I'd really like to see, is Kento Marek appearing, if only for a few seconds big grin

queeq
I don't want to see Boba...saw enough of him in AOTC.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by queeq
I don't want to see Boba...saw enough of him in AOTC.

lol, not a big fan of boba i take it/

queeq
Oh I was... I am... well, I thought he was great in the OT (except for that rather clumsy death). I didn't care much for the PT Boba though.

Incanus
PUT IN SOME STUFF LIKE KICK ASS SITH!!!!! Have Mandalorians join the CIS and Republic then have an uber battle with them in it. Mandalorians always make a fight great cuz they a warrior culture/species....... the true Mandalorian Crusaders are the Taung i think.

Prince Nauj
did they do anything for this series for comic con?

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Incanus
PUT IN SOME STUFF LIKE KICK ASS SITH!!!!! Have Mandalorians join the CIS and Republic then have an uber battle with them in it. Mandalorians always make a fight great cuz they a warrior culture/species....... the true Mandalorian Crusaders are the Taung i think.

oh god. no.

leave as much shitty kotor ties out of the series as possible please.

Tsal Can
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
oh god. no.

leave as much shitty kotor ties out of the series as possible please.

Actually that's a TOTJ reference.

Ms.Marvel
KOTOR encompasses TOTJ. anything that deals with the republic before the PT can be considered the "old republic".

Ordo
KOTOR is sh!t, but Mandalorians aren't. Regardless, Mandalorians now undoubtably are in this series.

No uber battles though, there are not enough Mandalorians around at this time for them to be an organizational threat, just individual ones. Filoni seems to have approached this perfectly...small group, battle with Kenobi.

If Filoni f*cks this up, I will stop watching this show. he does get a big bonus for trying though.

PS. Whats with Geonosis? Didn't we sack that planet in AOTC or is this some sort of wierd Hidden Enemy flashback.

Edit: OMG. He has a lightsaber...so much for my optimism. That better be a trophy.

Tsal Can
KOTOR encompasses TOTJ. anything that deals with the republic before the PT can be considered the "old republic".

No, I believe KotOR just means KotOR. You simply cant group together 25,000 years of EU under one label.

I would also like to throw in, I got goose bumps when I heard the little voice over in the end. Hopefully season two is way better than one. smile

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Tsal Can
No, I believe KotOR just means KotOR. You simply cant group together 25,000 years of EU under one label.

why not?

Captain REX
Because it is a certain category in the time period; it's just how things work for the Expanded Universe. Knights of the Old Republic covers a small time period around 4000 BBY...

I take it that everyone has seen the trailer, now?

http://tv.ign.com/dor/objects/826173/star-wars-the-clone-wars/videos/CW_sdcc09_Trailer.html

Apparently Filoni is trying to make things darker and less child-friendly. I hope that's true...

As for Geonosis, good question. It doesn't look like a flashback. Could be that it is a similar planet/moon that the Geonosians have hold of. It is implied that the Geonosians went into the catacombs to hide and retreat after the opening battle of the Clone Wars, might be something to do with that.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Captain REX
Because it is a certain category in the time period; it's just how things work for the Expanded Universe. Knights of the Old Republic covers a small time period around 4000 BBY...

that doesnt really make any sense imo but okay.

now thats what im talking about. thats exactly what i was saying in the VGOTF what the shows missing. if the whole season looked like that itd be awesome.

Tsal Can

It would be similar to stating that everything that came after ROTJ is simply the New Jedi Order era.

That man embracing Padme, could that be....Luke and Leia's true father!!??!?!?!

:P

Ordo
I would hope Filoni is trying to make it darker. It was WAY too happy for a war drama lol. However, I dont think a series animated like Clone Wars could ever be the serious show I wish this was, but I'll take what I can get. It makes sense that the series progresses in that direction though.

I dont really know what to think of this series. I'm not fooled by action montages set to classic star wars themes anymore. I just hope its an improvement. We'll find out in October.

Incanus
KOTOR is sh!t, but Mandalorians aren't. Regardless, Mandalorians now undoubtably are in this series.

No uber battles though, there are not enough Mandalorians around at this time for them to be an organizational threat, just individual ones. Filoni seems to have approached this perfectly...small group, battle with Kenobi.

If Filoni f*cks this up, I will stop watching this show. he does get a big bonus for trying though.

PS. Whats with Geonosis? Didn't we sack that planet in AOTC or is this some sort of wierd Hidden Enemy flashback.

Edit: OMG. He has a lightsaber...so much for my optimism. That better be a trophy. By Mandalorians in uber battles i mean as mercenaries. Main armies will be clones and droids of course........ Just a few Mandalorians.....

Captain REX

I take it that you're not well-informed as far as the Expanded Universe goes (I mean no offense by this). Tales of the Jedi is set one-thousand years before Knights of the Old Republic. Yes, it is all the Old Republic, but KOTOR is referring to the events of the comic book series and the video games. Just like the Clone Wars show is referring to the events of the Clone Wars instead of the entire Prequel Trilogy. It's more of an advertising campaign thing.

Also, makes sense to have things get increasingly darker, really. Anakin edging towards the Dark Side, the end of the Republic coming closer...

Tsal Can
Originally posted by Captain REX
I take it that you're not well-informed as far as the Expanded Universe goes (I mean no offense by this). Tales of the Jedi is set one-thousand years before Knights of the Old Republic. Yes, it is all the Old Republic, but KOTOR is referring to the events of the comic book series and the video games. Just like the Clone Wars show is referring to the events of the Clone Wars instead of the entire Prequel Trilogy. It's more of an advertising campaign thing.

Also, makes sense to have things get increasingly darker, really. Anakin edging towards the Dark Side, the end of the Republic coming closer...

Well technically Tales of the Jedi covers The Sith War as well as The Golden Age of the Sith. So yes it does cover events 1,000 years before KotOR as well as events as close as 40 years before(Exar Kun).

Ordo
Originally posted by Incanus
By Mandalorians in uber battles i mean as mercenaries. Main armies will be clones and droids of course........ Just a few Mandalorians.....

Well we got 4 lol.

I doubt they will participate much though. The other 3 were (very very unfortunately) all skinned the same and I doubt if a Mandalorian challenged someone to a duel, they'd duel and not pull in a bunch of vod to help fight.

They definitely seem like mercenaries if they are working for the seps, but that really isn't directly stated. The only things we know are the guy going after the Dutchess and challenging Kenobi (presumably over the dutchess).

REXXXX
When is the show supposed to start again?

Ordo
October 2nd, 9pm EDT

Hybris
Edit: OMG. He has a lightsaber...so much for my optimism. That better be a trophy.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but it was Obi Wan's hanging on his belt.

Ordo
Perhaps you didn't notice, but it was Obi Wan's hanging on his belt.

No. Its not.

It is...in fact...different.

Bespin Bart
Plus I think Obi-Wan ignites his and stares down the Mandalorians in the clip prior.

Hybris
I thought the same thing, until I paused the video.

Here's a screenshot of the mando's:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5259/obiy.jpg

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Episode-III-Obi-Wan-mini-lightsaber.jpg

They have the same form and the same colour patern:

grey - black - grey - black - gold - grey

Perhaps the clips aren't consecutive or perhaps they just used the same model. (Like Grievous in ROTS fights Obi using 4 lightsabers of which 2 have the hilt of Anakin's and Obi Wan's)

Ordo
...because Filoni is too lazy to make different models. They're already using sabers. These are all automatic signs things are going to be bad.

And yes, they are similar. But the kenobi cartoon model has the bumps very well defined on the end. THe mando does not.

Hybris
hehe

I guess we'll know who's right when we actually see the episode.

queeq
It doesn't look that much different from what we've seen so far, if you ask me.

Hybris
It doesn't look that much different from what we've seen so far, if you ask me.

are you talking about

a) the second season in general ?
b) the lightsaber on the mando's belt ?
c) both ?

REXXXX
Eh, the lightsabers don't look that similar. But we'll see.

Further note on Grievous' sabers- he also had Luke's and the generic lightsaber that the extras used.

queeq
are you talking about

a) the second season in general ?
b) the lightsaber on the mando's belt ?
c) both ?

The whole gest of the series.. very much like season One. I can't see a noticeable different approach.

Ordo
I think we will see a drastically better show.

queeq
What makes you think that?

Kazenji
http://www.comicvine.com/news/star-wars-clone-wars-rise-of-the-bounty-hunters-begins/139463/

Ordo
What makes you think that?

Filoni would have to be a total dumb donkey if he didn't realize the show needed darker, more serious themes. I think Lucas had his way too much in the first season.

Reports are this is true.

The real question for this season is: Will Filoni fcuk over Mandalorians so hard that I cant recover from it?

queeq
As I said: seeing the trailer I don't see a very different approach so far. You can add bounty hunters, Mandalorians and what have ya as much as you want, if you don't change the spirit of the series nothing really changes. So chances are you need a nurse.

CadoAngelus
the nurse is a metaphor? or george lucas should consider adding a literal nurse as a main character? lol

when i saw the trailer, it seemed to be only focusing on the first couple of episodes leading directly on from season 1. you usually find season trailers show snippets from a few episodes dotted around the season. i think because of this and the fact they threw in the massive bounty hunter arc has given people the impression it's going to be majorly different to the first season.

i'd have to agree with queeq somewhat, in that until they show otherwise i'm expecting something as gripping as the first season

queeq
Gripping? laughing out loud

CadoAngelus
it was the use of the word...the first season was interesting to watch, but if i missed a couple episodes it wasn't the end of the world...

Ordo
when i saw the trailer, it seemed to be only focusing on the first couple of episodes leading directly on from season

You can't blame Filoni for you lack of personal effort...

There is more out there.

CadoAngelus
i guess i've just not tried hard enough to look for a longer or different trailer admittedly...

queeq
Which doesn't add much.

Ordo
Really good signs here: http://starwars.com/video/view/000864.html

REXXXX
You just liked it because there were clones. stick out tongue Jk.

I liked his reasoning in changing up the clone voices. Good idea, I think.

Ordo
Not only that, but those are a few good clips, the clones are rationalized well (not superheroes, more vulnerable).

Its is however, mentally incompatable that Filoni could percieve clones that way and NOT get mandos (as is purported)

Dark Exile
Im actually really excited about tonight.

Tsal Can
Just saw the episode. I enjoyed it, going to watch it again. Ill post more of my thoughts later.

queeq
The first one is out?

-Pr-
The first one is out?

yup. hour long special apparently...

-Pr-
double post, sorry. watched it. t'was all right, i guess. lots of action, but they're really getting as much as they can from this cad bane guy. i dunno, i'd just rather have ventress or dooku as the villain...

Ordo
The first one is out?

*facepalm*

Hybris
I thought the episodes were rather good... The only things that got on my nerves were the following:

The Clone Wars are a galactic war, spread over several star systems. The Jedi and the army of the republic are supposed to be spread thin over all the galaxy.

Yet in the first episode, there's Windu, Yoda, Fisto, Secura, Unduli, Kenobi and Skywalker at the Jedi temple... Aren't they needed in some battle somewhere?

And what is a crystal containing all the names of force sensitive children doing with some random Jedi... And then what is that Jedi doing with it in the middle of a battle... I mean, it's not like that such an important crystal is something you should take with you into battle...

Ordo
As usual, I will watch them at least twice before reviewing.

CadoAngelus
Yet in the first episode, there's Windu, Yoda, Fisto, Secura, Unduli, Kenobi and Skywalker at the Jedi temple... Aren't they needed in some battle somewhere?

Haven't seen the episodes yet so i can't comment on that, but i can give a logical answer. There seem to be many high high ranking officers - like Rex - that have control over battalions when a jedi isn't around. I guess this would be an elaborated conclusion on the problem...

Hybris
Well they just lost the siege of Felucia, so you'd think they'd be busy trying to regain the planet...

By the way, great that you're going to review them, Ordo wink

queeq
*facepalm*

Hey I don't live in the USA. I have to torrent the stuff to see it at all.

Hybris
such torrents are illegal... aren't you as a mod supposed to be keeping illegal stuff off kmc big grin (just joking)

CadoAngelus
even so, he's not going "HEY EVERYONE!!! download stuff from here...IT'S FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

queeq
such torrents are illegal... aren't you as a mod supposed to be keeping illegal stuff off kmc big grin (just joking)

You're right. But they do make things very hard for us Eurotrash: the online vids of the episodes are inaccessible for us and we have to wait ages before it ends up here on some cheesy, second rate cartoonlike channel... On terrible airing times as well.

Ordo
Maybe you shouldn't be trash then....

Tsal Can
Loved the episode. Best one I have seen!!!

-Pr-
episode 3 was ok. honestly though, a force sensitive gungan. they sure are fond of those floppy eared gits.

CadoAngelus
You're right. But they do make things very hard for us Eurotrash: the online vids of the episodes are inaccessible for us and we have to wait ages before it ends up here on some cheesy, second rate cartoonlike channel... On terrible airing times as well.

think i caught the first episode of season 1 on CartoonNetworkHD at 2am once...premier showing too

Tsal Can
Originally posted by -Pr-
episode 3 was ok. honestly though, a force sensitive gungan. they sure are fond of those floppy eared gits.

Wait until they get to the force sensitive Ewok.

Ordo
Originally posted by -Pr-

TFN loved it. I swear those guys would lick the sh*t off of Lucas' d*ck if he told them it was Star Wars candy.

I use to listen to the Force Cast...now they just annoy me.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Tsal Can
Wait until they get to the force sensitive Ewok.

hey. HEY. ewoks are awesome.

TFN loved it. I swear those guys would lick the sh*t off of Lucas' d*ck if he told them it was Star Wars candy.

I use to listen to the Force Cast...now they just annoy me.

laughing out loud

i will be honest. i did love the scene where we got to see the baby playing with his ball using the force. it showed us just how wide reaching the force was, and how something so innocent as the force could be used for such corrupt purposes later in the saga...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.