3D Realms Closes [Confirmed]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JamesMan69
Creators of the Ever so popular Duke Nukem Series Have Closed there doors, Thus leaving all the fans who have waited over 12 years for Duke Nukem Forever(DNF) Are left hanging

Source:

3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler has commented on the shut down, "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Duke Nukem Forever publisher Take-Two has confirmed to Shacknews that it was not funding ongoing development of the 3D Realms project.

Its a sad day

Morridini
Heh, just noticed that the initials for Duke Nukem Forever is DNF, same as the Did Not Finish for racers etc who don't manage to finish the race.

Anyways, I don't see this as a loss, only problem is that we no longer have Duke Nukem Forever to joke about.

ArtificialGlory
Not a loss. This whole DNF thing was one huge scam, I tell you.

JamesMan69
i was thinking it was vaporware also, just a scam internet hype machine

Neo Darkhalen
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-2649-3D-Realms-Closes-Its-Doors.html

Smasandian
Even if 3D Realms does not exist, somebody will have the franchise rights and we will see another Duke Nukem game in the future.

It might not be Duke Nukem Forever and if it isnt hopefully somebody comes out with some sort of literature about what happened with it. I think it would be very interseting.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Smasandian
Even if 3D Realms does not exist, somebody will have the franchise rights and we will see another Duke Nukem game in the future.

It might not be Duke Nukem Forever and if it isnt hopefully somebody comes out with some sort of literature about what happened with it. I think it would be very interseting.

Take Two still hold the publishing rights to DNF.

Kazenji
It would be good if someone else got hold of DNF and actually finished it, Monolith would be great for it.

Smasandian
I would say the creators of Painkiller, or Serious Sam (if they are the same guys, then well, yeah) over Monolith.

Just because Monolith games are more story driven that Duke Nukem.
But Monolith would make a good game anyways, so it would still be cool.

jinXed by JaNx
laughing laughing out loud

Kostabot
Sucks. I knew DNF was a bunch of baloney, but I did hope for another DN game at some point. I actually went back and finished DN3D on PC a couple weeks ago. I got so nostalgic, it brought a tear to my eye. laughing out loud

Kazenji
Them Duke Nukem games for the PSP are still coming.

Ushgarak
Most of you guys were tuny when DN3D came out!

But let's face it, Duke Nukem had been dead for a decade- dead as soon as it didn't come out inside two years. It belonged to a past era of computer games; it was a rival to the likes of Doom, for God's sake. It's whole sustaining premise was the 'adult' material, beyond that it had absolutely nothing to offer any more. Once Half-Life came out, the idea that a new Duke Nukem game could really be such a big deal, objectively (as opposed to nostalgically) speaking was a dead one, and the FPS genre has only galloped on by further leaps and bounds since.

Studio or no studio, the actual concept of the 'awesome DNF game' was never going to see reality. And in that respect- perhaps better that the attempt never comes.

Morridini
But did anyone expect the game to be good in any way?

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Morridini
But did anyone expect the game to be good in any way?

I never did.

SaTsuJiN
duke games are supposed to be cheesy... you play them for the hoes and the comedy

I personally loved the N64 version.. used to 4 player deathmatch all the time

Kazenji
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
duke games are supposed to be cheesy... you play them for the hoes and the comedy

And story no expression

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Kazenji
And story no expression laughing out loud

Kazenji
Whats funny ?

Duke 3D onwards including the console games had decent stories just not Half-Life quality that people are after.

Ushgarak
No-one ever played DN3D for the story. It;s simply not something associated with Duke Nukem. it really was the strippers and kicking the urinals.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ushgarak
No-one ever played DN3D for the story. It;s simply not something associated with Duke Nukem.

For me it was

That grew old.....

Ushgarak
Yet it was what the majority remembers and it is CERTAINLY what distinguished it from other efforts at the time. You are almost alone in playing it for the story.

Like I say, the franchise kinda... missed the whole FPS revolution, so it had nothing else to offer.

jinXed by JaNx
you know what Ush? You're an eloquent mother fuker. How long did take you to acquire such discipline and patience involved in writing?

SaTsuJiN
it had some pretty hilarious / awesome weapons... and drinking water to regain health was pretty neat

and the tomb raider knock-off game was fairly entertaining as well

the only problem right now is that the license is in the wrong hands... if they gave it to some of the brighter minds of the industry.. there'd be hoes and toilets for everybody.. win/win situation.. amirite? big grin

Smasandian
The original game had some pretty good action.

I love the XBOX 360 arcade version.

In good hands, the franchise could come back. Either a total reboot, or a game similiar to Serious Sam, or Painkiller.

jinXed by JaNx
hey, i liked legendary, so i'll play anything. I'm still trying to figure out why that game is so bad. I thought it was hella fun.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian
The original game had some pretty good action.

Yeah the old platformer game great times, What was that Manhatten Project like?... because they tried to return Duke back to a platformer game with that one while keeping the new look.

Kazenji
Found out 3D Realms is still around

yes it was reported they closed permantly and speculation they were having trouble for funding...........but a statement this week saying they have'nt closed down and stilll hold the rights to Duke Nukem franchise.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.