Longest running death that has yet to be ruined?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Accel
Up until recently, Barry Allen probably had this title, but... well, y'know.

So now with his resurrection, which other character has been dead the longest, STAYED dead that whole time, and is STILL dead to this day?

I'm mainly referring to heroes who have actually died on panel, so no smart-ass answers like Uncle Ben or any thing like that.

Darth Vicious
X-men's Thunderbird (1st).

Symmetric Chaos
Black Flash no expression

Priest
Black Goliath 131

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
X-men's Thunderbird (1st).

He's been just recently resurrected by Eli Bard.

-K-M-
Captain Marvel I? Skrull version doesn't count

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Really what issue? X-Force what?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -K-M-
Really what issue? X-Force what?

#10 and #11.

tjcoady
I'd say Gwen Stacey....

if it wasn't for that ridiculous Osborne-sex retcon.

eh, wait, Ben Parker wins. An alternate earth version of him ran around for a little while, but that didn't really count. Wasn't really the same person- and Ben Parker hasn't had any ridiculous changes to his past character added, so I'd say he wins.

Darth Jello
actually, quite a few of Daredevil's old girlfriends and rogues gallery.

Darth Vicious
#10 and #11.

Wasnt those the issues that Warpath was in that spirit battle team up with Ghost Rider? Dont remember TB been fully resurected. Must read again.

Phantom Zone

LOL I thought we had a winner there.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by tjcoady
I'd say Gwen Stacey....

That was pretty hot.

ExodusCloak
Is Xavier's enemy Lucifer from the Original X-Men comics still dead?

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Is Xavier's enemy Lucifer from the Original X-Men comics still dead?

Yup smile

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Wasnt those the issues that Warpath was in that spirit battle team up with Ghost Rider? Dont remember TB been fully resurected. Must read again.

In Old Ghosts (part 4 of 4) there is just a hint.

In Who the hell is Eli Bard? we see Thunderbird with Eli. He's not been fully resurrected, but he's not dead either.

Darth Vicious
Spawn's Chapel. I believe he was never ressurected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_(comics)

jalek moye
Originally posted by tjcoady
I'd say Gwen Stacey....

orignally that was supposed to be parkers kids, but Quesade said no and changed it to norman. I think he just hates spiderman having anything meaningful

willRules
Bucky lasted pretty long, and his "death" wasn't really ruined by his resurrection, seeing as how he didn't technically die in the first place.....

roughrider
Don, the original Dove from Hawk & Dove?

Original Smurph
Originally posted by willRules
Bucky lasted pretty long, and his "death" wasn't really ruined by his resurrection, seeing as how he didn't technically die in the first place..... If he didn't technically die, why is he in the "Longest running death" thread?

mmm

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by Accel
Up until recently, Barry Allen probably had this title, but... well, y'know.

So now with his resurrection, which other character has been dead the longest, STAYED dead that whole time, and is STILL dead to this day?

I'm mainly referring to heroes who have actually died on panel, so no smart-ass answers like Uncle Ben or any thing like that.

Uncle Ben

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by willRules
Bucky lasted pretty long, and his "death" wasn't really ruined by his resurrection, seeing as how he didn't technically die in the first place.....

So he's of no relevance to this thread mmm

Disappear
just because he didn't technically "die" doesn't mean the decades of stories in which we knew him to be dead didn't influence how characters acted/interacted or how we felt about the character. the fact that he "never really died" is what ruined the whole 'death' in the first place, thus tying into the title of the thread, thus being at least a valid point of discussion if not a contender for the title.

chomperx9
wolverines old GF that sabretooth killed years back

scarlet witch and quicksilvers mother that magneto killed

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by chomperx9
wolverines old GF that sabretooth killed years back

Actually that was just a false memory.

willRules
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
So he's of no relevance to this thread mmm

Originally posted by Original Smurph
If he didn't technically die, why is he in the "Longest running death" thread?

mmm

I will make you two long running deaths that won't be ruined!!! mad

Originally posted by Disappear
just because he didn't technically "die" doesn't mean the decades of stories in which we knew him to be dead didn't influence how characters acted/interacted or how we felt about the character. the fact that he "never really died" is what ruined the whole 'death' in the first place, thus tying into the title of the thread, thus being at least a valid point of discussion if not a contender for the title.

Exactly yes

-V-
I'd happily take Winter Soldier and Bucky as Captain America than Steve Rogers running around guilty about Bucky's death, Brubaker executed it extremely well and it's clearly showing in the sales.

My only fear is that eventually Ed will have to leave the book and some clown will bring Steve back from the dead leaving Bucky irrelevant. (just like Kyle Rayner and Wally West are now that Hal and Barry are back)

Bentley
Originally posted by -V-
I'd happily take Winter Soldier and Bucky as Captain America than Steve Rogers running around guilty about Bucky's death, Brubaker executed it extremely well and it's clearly showing in the sales.

My only fear is that eventually Ed will have to leave the book and some clown will bring Steve back from the dead leaving Bucky irrelevant. (just like Kyle Rayner and Wally West are now that Hal and Barry are back)

Morrison on Captain America! eek!

Accel
the fact that he "never really died" is what ruined the whole 'death' in the first place, thus tying into the title of the thread, thus being at least a valid point of discussion if not a contender for the title.
Considering his death was, in fact, undone and he's not dead now, no it isn't.

id369
Angela has bin dead since issue #100. And apparently Todd has no interest in bringing back Al Simmons.

It takes a lot of balls to kill of your main characters.

Symmetric Chaos
Spawn is dead?

darthgoober
Eric Masterson's been out of commission for quite a while now. It's only been 10 years or so, but he's about the only character I can think of who's death hasn't been ruined in one way or another.

roughrider
Originally posted by Original Smurph
If he didn't technically die, why is he in the "Longest running death" thread?

mmm

Avengers Annual 1987: The Avengers fight The Grandmaster, who's recruited the legions of the dead to fight on his behalf. The ranks included the likes of Captain Marvel, Drax, Dracula...and Bucky. Who goes right after Cap.
So - was he really dead? whistle

Nihilist
Odin(sort of as he is still dead).

Ptr_Grifin
Scarlet Spider

tjcoady
Originally posted by roughrider
Avengers Annual 1987: The Avengers fight The Grandmaster, who's recruited the legions of the dead to fight on his behalf. The ranks included the likes of Captain Marvel, Drax, Dracula...and Bucky. Who goes right after Cap.
So - was he really dead? whistle

In Busiek's Avengers, Mockingbird appears from Hell, alongside Doctor Druid and the Swordsman, brought back to a zombie like life by the Grim Reaper.

Later, Mockingbird is revealed to have been replaced by a Skrull and not to have died at all.

It's pointless to bring up cases when a ret-con is proved "wrong." You just start to fanboyishly nitpick.

Disappear
Considering his death was, in fact, undone and he's not dead now, no it isn't.

well, barry never really died, he just transmuted into the speed force and was "lost" since his 'death,' so what's the real difference? the retcon doesn't necessarily undo the stories that we knew them to be dead in, just the context in which we view them. hence a "ruining" of a 'death,' which is tied into the very title of the thread. i don't understand the gripe of discussing how bucky doesn't count when barry not counting is mentioned as a preface to the thread itself.

Bentley
Captain Marvel, although he makes cameos, skrull clones and all around appearances despite his death.

Accel
well, barry never really died, he just transmuted into the speed force and was "lost" since his 'death,' so what's the real difference? the retcon doesn't necessarily undo the stories that we knew them to be dead in, just the context in which we view them. hence a "ruining" of a 'death,' which is tied into the very title of the thread. i don't understand the gripe of discussing how bucky doesn't count when barry not counting is mentioned as a preface to the thread itself.
You seem to be missing the point here. With Barry, they still took a character who was supposed to be dead for the past two decades and then just brought him back, thereby undoing his death. Making it so that he "never died in the first place" doesn't change any of that.

Bucky would be a contender if he was actually still dead this whole time and remained that way now.

Since he doesn't fit these guidelines...

...he doesn't qualify.

willRules
You seem to be missing the point here. With Barry, they still took a character who was supposed to be dead for the past two decades and then just brought him back, thereby undoing his death. Making it so that he "never died in the first place" doesn't change any of that.

Bucky would be a contender if he was actually still dead this whole time and remained that way now.

Since he doesn't fit these guidelines...

...he doesn't qualify.

Umm that's exactly what happened with Bucky no expression In the same way, Barry was supposed to be dead the whole time but was retconned in FC to reveal he wasn't dead. Bucky was supposed to be dead for even longer, but Brubaker retconned it to reveal that he wasn't

The only difference is, Brubaker did a much better job than Morrison big grin

Battlehammer
Jean still going strong right?

willRules
Originally posted by Battlehammer
Jean still going strong right?

Going strong? She's dead stick out tongue

For the moment, yeah, but with a name like Phoenix......

Phantom Zone
Death booyah I win! Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.