Can we Gene-Splice our way to Superhuman Abilities?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://blogs.eastvalleytribune.com/old_images/bioshock.plasmids.jpg
Powers like Bioshock's might still be in our imaginations.

Well it would seem that we won't be having powers in quite a while until all diseases are dealt with.

What are your opinions on this? Would it be awesome to have superpowers? What gene splicing power would you like to have?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Well it would seem that we won't be having powers in quite a while until all diseases are dealt with.

No we won't be having powers until we know how to build completely unique genes and then splice those into exactly the right place and even then we won't get them our kids will. If we live long enough that we have technology to totally alter the genes of a currently living creature we'd be so advanced that technology based super powers would be much better and easier.

Darth Jello
think about it logistically. Do you realize how much food you'd have to consume for half of the most popular superpowers? Wasn't there a study a while back showing that a common super activity such as webslinging burns something like 2,000 calories an hour?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
think about it logistically. Do you realize how much food you'd have to consume for half of the most popular superpowers? Wasn't there a study a while back showing that a common super activity such as webslinging burns something like 2,000 calories an hour?

But what if we could design a much better energy system? No more ATP. I'm unsure of a chemical process that could work for a biological being, though. sad It will take me a while, but I'll think of something.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
But what if we could design a much better energy system? No more ATP. I'm unsure of a chemical process that could work for a biological being, though. sad It will take me a while, but I'll think of something.

My ideas in order of decending sanity:

If you made people slightly larger (or just streamlined the organ system a bunch) there would be room for a small reactors of various types in the abdomen.

Skin cells could be made to act as photovoltaic cells (turn light into electricity for the lay people out there) or combustion engines.

Turn cells that are tiny fusion devices, like the Ultimate Human Torch.

Channel energy from another dimension like Cyclops or the Hulk.

Use awesomeness distilled into physical form like in Gurren Lagann.

Bicnarok
Maybe its a natural part of evolution, us changing ourselves.

Add a internal hard drive and bio chip so we can remember stuff, stop the dieing mechanism which causes aging. Put little nano repair things in us to heal us etc.

The problem could be the emotional side effects.

Kinkin
No superpowers....think of criminals with powers!! no expression

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Kinkin
No superpowers....think of criminals with powers!! no expression

Think of heroes with powers!

Red Nemesis
Transhumanism for the win?

Kinkin
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Think of heroes with powers!

More villians than heroes.

Just not worth the risk.

Unless I can be Wolverine. Then you all better watch out!!

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Kinkin
More villians than heroes.

Just not worth the risk.

We'll find the genetic marks for morality and secretly add them to all the enhancements.

Robtard
Already found; it's in the U.S., the Evangelical Right has it in spades.

Symmetric Chaos
Perfect! We'll have thousands of superpowered fundamentalist Christians.

Robtard
Perfect! We'll have thousands of superpowered fundamentalist Christians.

http://www.deepershopping.com/imagelib/productimages/000/000/068/68731_large.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
thumb up

Mindship
Originally posted by Nemesis X
What are your opinions on this? Would it be awesome to have superpowers? What gene splicing power would you like to have?
This will require not only a knowledge of which gene / gene set does what, but more importantly, what would be the unforeseen, synergistic consequences of this kind of genetic tampering -- not just in terms of immediate short-term results, but also with regard to long-term consequences.

It may well require quantum computation to figure it all out.

As for what superpower would I pick? What are my choices? Do I have to stick with more realistic ones, eg, superstrength, or can I pick something on the fringe, eg, telekinesis, something which may not even exist or be possible to exist?

I always thought superstrength would be the most universally useful power. On the other hand, if possible, TK would be sweet.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
This will require not only a knowledge of which gene / gene set does what, but more importantly, what would be the unforeseen, synergistic consequences of this kind of genetic tampering -- not just in terms of immediate short-term results, but also with regard to long-term consequences.

Expand on this. You're implying something...and I would like to explore your imagination on this.

It may well require quantum computation to figure it all out.

If we can perfect that, it probably will be required.

As for what superpower would I pick? What are my choices? Do I have to stick with more realistic ones, eg, superstrength, or can I pick something on the fringe, eg, telekinesis, something which may not even exist or be possible to exist?

I always thought superstrength would be the most universally useful power. On the other hand, if possible, TK would be sweet.

Mine would be the package. Watch DBZ? It would be like Cell. Having a system that doesn't produce waste products or metabolic byproducts. That means I wouldn't have to breath and eating just a little bit of food would give me great amounts of energy. This is addition to much much stronger connective tissues, much stronger bones, retardedly crisp vision, and a penis that stays hard for 10 hours with a woman's ability to get off 10 times. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!! Improved Hearing would be good and an increase of the sense of smell too.

Symmetric Chaos

Superpeed has a lot more uses, IMO, and has at least as much utility in a fight. The vision package (telescoping, microscoping, hyperspectral) is pretty high on my list of awesome powers too.

Mindship
Expand on this. You're implying something...and I would like to explore your imagination on this. I'm just saying, it may be more than just knowing which gene does this and which gene does that. The genome is a package deal; I would think that would be the best approach to major genetic engineering.

Where did you think I was headed? My imagination is running a little dry at the moment.

Mine would be the package.
The vision package The Superphysical Basics package is pretty thorough.

dadudemon
I'm just saying, it may be more than just knowing which gene does this and which gene does that. The genome is a package deal; I would think that would be the best approach to major genetic engineering.

Where did you think I was headed? My imagination is running a little dry at the moment.

I know what you're talking about. what would we call that..

poly-genic expression? Genomic resonance? Macro-genic expression? Genic Jolism? (The last one is probably the best description, imo.)

I am sure a geneticist already has a word for what it is, but I've never run across it in my studies.

Symmetric Chaos
I know what you're talking about. what would we call that..

poly-genic expression? Genomic resonance? Macro-genic expression? Genic Jolism? (The last one is probably the best description, imo.)

I am sure a geneticist already has a word for what it is, but I've never run across it in my studies.

I think you're referring to epistasis (thank you high-school bio). Pleiotropy causes problems in exactly the opposite way.

Mindship
... epistasis ... Pleiotropy ...
My vocabulary has been duly expanded.

...so, the awareness exists. Unfortunately, our desire to tinker simply because we can, to "see what happens," will likely prompt us to act before we have a full understanding of the possible consequences.

...eh, so what else is new.

dadudemon
I think you're referring to epistasis (thank you high-school bio). Pleiotropy causes problems in exactly the opposite way. Maybe that's it.

It doesn't sound it....but...the definition is close to what I'm looking for. I'll search it...

I looked it up on teh googles and I may have found something similar to what I was looking for...but still not quite...

It's called intragenic complementation. That's closer to the bullshit I was making up... big grin

CATMANEXE
"could" is always a vague term...
a.) we would have to suceed in gene-splicing living creatures first...
b.) too likely is the idea that tampering with our own genes in adding or subtracting would cause us death.

LordFear
This is all way too theoretical and not even worth speculating because unless you have some supergenius mind right now in the mountains working on it as we speak, I don't see it happening in the forseeable future

Robtard
Why would a super-genius be working in the mountains?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Why would a super-genius be working in the mountains?

DUH!

Doctor Gero made Cell, a genetically perfect being, hidden deep in a mountain in his secret laboratory. Yes, I am serious.

Robtard
Considering this happens in the mountains:

http://kenoath.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/deliverance-01.jpg

Gero is a brave, brave man.

dadudemon
I can't see the image (At work. Network filters some sites and most video playback sites), but it says deliverance in the address, so I assume it's a man on man image.

Google Dr. Gero and/or Cell, and you'll see what I'm talking about, bro.

Robtard
Yes, "Squeal like a pig."

I know all that is DBZ, used to watch it years and years ago, despite it's epic lameness.

dadudemon

I know all that is DBZ, used to watch it years and years ago, despite it's epic lameness.

laughing

Darn. I was hoping that you didn't know what I was talking about, then look it up, then said to your self sometihng like, "That IDIOT. Should have guessed it was something stupid."

Robtard
I always expect something stupid.

Deja~vu
You should never self impose. LOL Just not healthy.

Robtard
Originally posted by Deja~vu
You should never self impose. LOL Just not healthy.

Yeah?

Deja~vu
Yeah, now take a look at yourself....cause we're looking too. LOL

St....

That does not spell stud, btw. LOL

Robtard
Do you violently shake your head then type out the words that rise to the top?

dadudemon
Do you violently shake your head then type out the words that rise to the top?

Looks like that is her nicest way of saying your expect out of others what you think you are...because of the "stupid" comments you and I were exchanging. I guess she doesn't want to just call you stupid, outright.

Here, I'll do it.

Robtard, you are stupid. HA!

Deja~vu
Thank you. LOL

Robtard
Looks like that is her nicest way of saying your expect out of others what you think you are...because of the "stupid" comments you and I were exchanging. I guess she doesn't want to just call you stupid, outright.

Here, I'll do it.

Robtard, you are stupid. HA!

Yeah?

Deja~vu
confused laughing out loud

dadudemon
Yeah?

Nah. Not really. Just saying it for her. One of my old professors had a hard time saying penis, for some reason, so I would say it for her. That's the kind of guy I am.

Robtard
Yeah.

Mairuzu

I know all that is DBZ, used to watch it years and years ago, despite it's epic lameness. you shut your damn mouth

Robtard
Originally posted by Mairuzu
you shut your damn mouth

Well, guess I won't be taking any cocks that way.

Mairuzu
you can still kiss them

Darth Jello
http://www.cracked.com/article_17185_7-awesome-super-powers-ruined-by-science.html

hate to be the one to ruin the party but you're not gonna be too good for fighting crime with your super speed when your organs liquify through your pores as you run to the crime scene.

Symmetric Chaos
http://www.cracked.com/article_17185_7-awesome-super-powers-ruined-by-science.html

hate to be the one to ruin the party but you're not gonna be too good for fighting crime with your super speed when your organs liquify through your pores as you run to the crime scene.

That's why any sane person would get these first: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RequiredSecondaryPowers

Also, no one's going to gene-splice their way to the power levels that most big names in 4-color comics get. At best we'll gene splice our way to Batman-ish levels.

Raoul

what kind of idiots wrote that shit?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Raoul
what kind of idiots wrote that shit?

Robert Brockway of Portland, Oregon. He first became a member of Cracked.com on October 3rd 2007. Besides a column for Cracked he has the site ifightrobots.com where he also posts articles.

Raoul
Robert Brockway of Portland, Oregon. He first became a member of Cracked.com on October 3rd 2007. Besides a column for Cracked he has the site ifightrobots.com where he also posts articles.

good for him, i guess...

Symmetric Chaos
Not really, he's probably just a nerd.

Heh, I just noticed that in the picture for your sig there's no place of the Star Sapphires to put their symbol.

Raoul
Not really, he's probably just a nerd.

Heh, I just noticed that in the picture for your sig there's no place of the Star Sapphires to put their symbol.

it's on her crotch:

http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/04/03/unveiling-the-covers-to-blackest-night-tales-of-the-corps/

Symmetric Chaos
laughing out loud

Raoul
laughing out loud

yup. absurd costume design and an artist who likes his T&A. match made in heaven, if there ever was one...

Ace of Knaves
Well, guess I won't be taking any cocks that way.

How many cocks are waiting for you to take them?

Robtard
Originally posted by Ace of Knaves
How many cocks are waiting for you to take them?

Gayest question ever.

Ace of Knaves
So, too many to count?

Robtard
So, too many to count?

Thirty-seven.

dadudemon
Thirty-seven.

Bardock42, do you now see what I mean by the "arbitrary" numbers usually being prime? Remember we talked about this in the GDF before?

Robtard
Bardock42, do you now see what I mean by the "arbitrary" numbers usually being prime? Remember we talked about this in the GDF before?

Wasn't arbitrary, my response was intentional and calculated, ass.

Symmetric Chaos

That's 509% more ridiculous than most things you say!

dadudemon
Wasn't arbitrary, my response was intentional and calculated, ass.
I'm convinced. messed

That's 509% more ridiculous than most things you say!

Damnit, SC, I'm a technician, not a statistician.

Robtard
I'm convinced. messed

Dante: "Thirty-seven, my girlfriend sucked thirty-seven dicks!"
Randal: "In a row?"

See, Clerks for further insight.

dadudemon
Dante: "Thirty-seven, my girlfriend sucked thirty-seven dicks!"
Randal: "In a row?"

See, Clerks for further insight.

My bad. I thought you got it from Rain Man at the end when it definitely definitely says highway 37. no expression Definitely.

Ordo
on topic...

If you want super human traits like glowing in the dark and being resistant to frost...synthesising your own Vitamin D more efficiently?

Sure you can have those super powers.

Ace of Knaves
What does better using vitamin D have to do with glowing in the dark or resisting frostbite?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ordo
on topic...

If you want super human traits like glowing in the dark and being resistant to frost...synthesising your own Vitamin D more efficiently?

Sure you can have those super powers.

I think the real issue is will we be able to give people those powers any time soon without it doing something nasty as a side effect.

dadudemon
What does better using vitamin D have to do with glowing in the dark or resisting frostbite?

What does glowing in the dark have to do with resisting frostbite?

Ordo
I think the real issue is will we be able to give people those powers any time soon without it doing something nasty as a side effect.

Possibly? Are you volunteering?

I mean...having your larynx glow green isn't exactly like...the first body modification on my list.

dadudemon
Possibly? Are you volunteering?

I mean...having your larynx glow green isn't exactly like...the first body modification on my list.

Wouldn't it be cool when your nipples perked up because of a chill, not only would they stand on end, they would glow.

teehee

Ordo
unfortunately, localizing that effect to one area of the body upon a specific arousal would be rather difficult.

dadudemon
unfortunately, localizing that effect to one area of the body upon a specific arousal would be rather difficult.

Uh....

How about no.

Bioluminescence is always on a specific location of the body of the species. I cannot think of one single species that the entire body glows.

If we had the ability to incorporate bl into ourselves, choosing a location to exhibit the feature would come just as easily as making the entire body glow. In fact, it may be more difficult to get the whole body to glow.

Robtard
There's a colony of mice who where genetically modified with bioluminescent DNA from jellyfish that disagree, they glow from nose to tail.

So you may just have to wait until the the technology progresses before you can just have a glowing anal-ring.

Quark_666
I gotta be a geneticist now. Just think of all the gullible optimists whose kids I'll mess up on!

Ordo
Uh....

How about no.

Bioluminescence is always on a specific location of the body of the species. I cannot think of one single species that the entire body glows.

As rob said, this is false.

However, you didn't ask to just have one part of your body to glow, you asked for your nipples to glow upon arousal. Perhaps I misunderstood this, but there is a drastic difference...

Mindship
Wasn't there a movie some years back - I think it starred Gary Shandling - about an alien whose private parts glowed when aroused?

Symmetric Chaos
Wasn't there a movie some years back - I think it starred Gary Shandling - about an alien whose private parts glowed when aroused?

Well Cylons have spines that glow when they have sex srug

Robtard
Battlestar Galactica has changed much since the late 70's.

dadudemon
There's a colony of mice who where genetically modified with bioluminescent DNA from jellyfish that disagree, they glow from nose to tail.

So you may just have to wait until the the technology progresses before you can just have a glowing anal-ring.

laughing out loud

Newb.

That's GFP. Not bioluminescence.

As rob said, this is false.

However, you didn't ask to just have one part of your body to glow, you asked for your nipples to glow upon arousal. Perhaps I misunderstood this, but there is a drastic difference...

See what I said, which is why you're both wrong.

And, no, I said "chill", not "upon arousal".

However, I mean both and more. I just want them to glow when they perk up, period. teehee

Robtard
laughing out loud

Newb.

That's GFP. Not bioluminescence.

Green Fluorescent Protein is bioluminescence, retard.

Symmetric Chaos
Green Fluorescent Protein is bioluminescence, retard.

Specifically it's the one that makes everything glow, thus a bad example.

Robtard
Specifically it's the one that makes everything glow, thus a bad example.

Don't follow why it's a bad example, DDM stated it would be harder to make the entire body glow than individual parts. DNA of the GFP in jellyfish was used in mice embryos and it made them glow throughout. As to date, I don't think anyone has made just a mouse's tail, nipples or scrotum glow.

Yes, it's possibly no one has tried.

Symmetric Chaos
Don't follow why it's a bad example, DDM stated it would be harder to make the entire body glow than individual parts. DNA of the GFP in jellyfish was used in mice embryos and it made them glow throughout. As to date, I don't think anyone has made just a mouse's tail, nipples or scrotum glow.

Yes, it's possibly no one has tried.

GFP makes the whole body glow that's the only thing it does. Many (probably most) other types of bioluminescence make specific places glow. Saying that it's hard to make specific places glow after using GFP isn't a good example because GFP does do that in the first place, it's sort of like saying making a red light bulb is hard because you've only bought red ones.

Robtard
You know, thinking back to the days when I used to keep an aquarium reef (80g), I can remember several corals, anemones and sea-lugs that glowed green under light and it wasn't through their entire bodies.

So you may be wrong in that assertion.

Ordo
GFP makes the whole body glow that's the only thing it does.

This is wrong. GFP glows green yes. However, it only makes the whole organism glow when it is expressed in the entire organism.

GFP is VERY commonly used in targeting. I myself have used nematodes where only their larynx glow green, well, because tha's how we made them. GFP is not expressed in the organism as a random protein. It is coupled to a specific protein you want to track. You can attach GFP to albumin or hair proteins...things that give the appearance of a large portion (or the entire exterior) of an animal glowing, but every cell, in fact, does not glow unless you couple GFP to a hell of a lot of different proteins or some very common ones (beta actin). Normally you DONT want this because you're trying to track the presence of a specific protein or the lineage of a particular cell (as in developmental biology)

This is the basic way in which this protein is used and has been for years. Saying it "makes the whole body glow" is a pretty blatant misconception.

Symmetric Chaos
You know, thinking back to the days when I used to keep an aquarium reef (80g), I can remember several corals, anemones and sea-lugs that glowed green under light and it wasn't through their entire bodies.

So you may be wrong in that assertion.

You're right, I am wrong about GFP, some jellyfish use it to make specific areas glow. However, daudedomn*, was right that GFP is not bioluminescence and thus doesn't quite count. GFP is florescent it simply has a high florescent quantum yield (it charges up in light then emits photons). Bioluminescence is a chemical reaction.

* or whatever

Robtard
Whoa, I refuse to believe DDM was correct and that Robtard was incorrect.

Bioluminescent is light given off by a living organism, ergo GFP is a type of bioluminescence

Red Nemesis
http://www.videosift.com/video/TED-Talks-Bonnie-Bassler-How-bacteria-communicates

The first part talks about luminescence and the second half is mindblowing. Srsly.

dadudemon
Whoa, I refuse to believe DDM was correct and that Robtard was incorrect.

Bioluminescent is light given off by a living organism, ergo GFP is a type of bioluminescence

No. I'm right. Those are two different things, bro. BL and FPs are two different things. You think they are the same only because you equate the two as "light". That's not accurate. One is glowing on it's own through a chemical reaction. The other is fluorescence when acted on by an outside electromagnetic radiation (light) source.

Now, back to topic.

We could use FPs to make certain parts glow in light. That wouldn't be as cool as BL, but it would be fun, imo. When it's "kinky-time", you turn on that light. Heh. Certainly would make it easier in teh darks, imo.

Ace of Knaves

What Planet Are You From?

His penis hummed when aroused, it did not glow. However, he could project a bright light from his nose.

Robtard
No. I'm right. Those are two different things, bro. BL and FPs are two different things. You think they are the same only because you equate the two as "light". That's not accurate. One is glowing on it's own through a chemical reaction. The other is fluorescence when acted on by an outside electromagnetic radiation (light) source.

Now, back to topic.

We could use FPs to make certain parts glow in light. That wouldn't be as cool as BL, but it would be fun, imo. When it's "kinky-time", you turn on that light. Heh. Certainly would make it easier in teh darks, imo.

No, you're wrong and even Merriam-Webster disagrees with you.

Both are bioluminescent, different types of, sure, but still fall under the bioluminescent category. Bio = living/life, Luminescent = light

Symmetric Chaos

Ace of Knaves
This is how laundry detergents can get things "whiter than white": by absorbing non-visible UV light and fluorescing in the visible spectrum.

But the stain is really gone, right?

Robtard
That's nice but the people who study the stuff professionally disagree with you.

You can get snappy all you like and I think it's cute, but Google "bioluminescent mice" and you'll see paper/page after page about these, tada, you guessed it, bioluminescent mice and how they're being studied from 'wound healing' to cancer research.

Go on, Google it.

Symmetric Chaos
But the stain is really gone, right?

Yes, you could test that by scraping the area where the stain is and seeing if it reappears. I assume based on what they said there that the effect makes things temporarily glow so that the product seems that much more effective.

Symmetric Chaos
You can get snappy all you like and I think it's cute, but Google "bioluminescent mice" and you'll see paper/page after page about these, tada, you guessed it, bioluminescent mice and how they're being studied from 'wound healing' to cancer research.

Go on, Google it.

Google fluorescent rocks. Florescence is not necessarily bioluminescence, nor is bioluminescence neccissarily florescence. It's really as simple as that.

Robtard
Google fluorescent rocks. Florescence is not necessarily bioluminescence, nor is bioluminescence neccissarily florescence. It's really as simple as that.

Correct, doesn't have to be, but GFP is bioluminescent, really that simple. The 'P' in GFP stands for protein, ya know.

Did you Google the mice?

Symmetric Chaos
Correct, doesn't have to be, but GFP is bioluminescent, really that simple. The 'P' in GFP stands for protein, ya know.

Did you Google the mice?

And the F stands for flourecence which is my point. It's flourescent not bioluminecent.

Anyway . . .

Bioluminescence Webpage: http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~biolum/chem/

Bioluminescence is not the same as "fluorescence" or "phosphorescence".

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioluminescence

Bioluminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism as the result of a chemical reaction during which chemical energy is converted to light energy.

HowStuffWorks: http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/bioluminescence3.htm

In general, bioluminescence involves the combination of two types of substances in a light-producing reaction.

Brittanica: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/66087/bioluminescence

Bioluminescence results from a chemical reaction

Photobiology: http://www.photobiology.info/prev_mod33.htm

Optical phenomena *other* than bioluminescence . . . . fluorescence

Personally I think it's infinitely more likely that a couple reporters assigned to the mice thing didn't do enough research.

Robtard
It would be more than just a couple of reporters; it would include researchers too.

I do concede though.

dadudemon
It would be more than just a couple of reporters; it would include researchers too.

I do concede though.
Cool.

And, thanks, SC, for taking the time to explain that. I got busy at work.

Robtard, I know what you are trying to say and it is partially correct.

What you're thinking is probably a generic way to describe it which could be "biological luminescence" or something. "Bioluminescence" has been "taken" already and doesn't mean what a direct etymological interpretation would yield.

Also, a pool of proteins is not "life". We can synthesize proteins all sorts of ways, and it still is not life, in the classical/scientific sense. It is when those proteins are used in a recognizable lifeform that we call it a biological trait. I'm sure you know all of this already.

leonheartmm
not to anything like telekenesis etc. but enhancing already present features under parameters might be possible. protien based life forms have their limits though, and chaos theory has to be taken under account, when you are splicing genes and expecting phenotypes that on a whole benefit and dont have adverse physical or {harder to figure out}, psychological side effects{e.g. if you gene splice to change the constitution and structure of neurones so that they require less space/have greater density of individual units in structures/transmit impulses faster than our current neurones} and if it worked, youd have the problems of extreme anxiety and irritability and simply, being on crack 24-7.

besides this, the more practical problem is that amount of specimens{i.e. HUMANS} who wud end up being lab rats even before birth, and wud inevitably end up with negetive quasi physical traits which wud alone, take their entire lifetime to documents. so no, i dont think its very probable. cybernetics is more promising.

also, u can gene splice already conceived and living people.

i wud think though that eventual immortality, and a perfect immune system wud be very possible in the future based on gene splicing.

Wild Shadow
it be so cool.. i think practical gene manipulation and superpowers would be more likely to happen then the comic book stuff.

examples:

slight increase of strength, reflex, increase intelligence better immune system longer life span maybe better senses i think all these things might be more likely in the next hundred yrs and if we all start to get them it really wouldnt be much of a power

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
it be so cool.. i think practical gene manipulation and superpowers would be more likely to happen then the comic book stuff.

examples:

slight increase of strength, reflex, increase intelligence better immune system longer life span maybe better senses i think all these things might be more likely in the next hundred yrs and if we all start to get them it really wouldnt be much of a power

Increase in strength shouldn't be too hard, the underpinnings of what's needed already exist. I doubt increased overall intelligence is going to happen in the forseeable future, but better reflexes or memory could. Personally I'd rather use nanomachines to boost my immune system than have doctors modify the whole thing that's a massive system with so many things that can go wrong in it.

Wild Shadow
i was thinking increase in memory and neural kinetics possibly cognative reasoning maybe not the super genius lvl but enough to make thinks easier and possibly increase the overall IQ of the population where the standard for the school would increase at least double fold.

i agree with the immunology if they screwed it up we could all be wiped out by a stupid bug or even have our own immune system attack our body itself possibly develop cancer..

has anyone seen the movie splice?

till it was conclusively proven non harmful and lil to know side effects i wouldnt want to be altered i wait a few generations b4 i let that happen just to see the long term effects possibly i would never get it and my children's children would be the ones to get it if the option was available

Symmetric Chaos
i was thinking increase in memory and neural kinetics possibly cognative reasoning maybe not the super genius lvl but enough to make thinks easier and possibly increase the overall IQ of the population where the standard for the school would increase at least double fold.

While I know what you mean, you can't technically increase the IQ of a population. 100 is always average even if those people can do differential calculus in their heads.

i agree with the immunology if they screwed it up we could all be wiped out by a stupid bug or even have our own immune system attack our body itself possibly develop cancer..

till it was conclusively proven non harmful and lil to know side effects i wouldnt want to be altered i wait a few generations b4 i let that happen just to see the long term effects possibly i would never get it and my children's children would be the ones to get it if the option was available

"So we tried to give you immortality but now you have super cancer. By midnight you're going to have a baseball sized tumor in you heart. On the bright side we know not to try that gene sequence again."

More seriously, I suspect that even if we do perfect immune or brain alterations people will be slow to adopt them for fear of giving someone so much control over their body.

Wild Shadow
i hate to wake up the next day and find out i am suffering from gigantism and tumors due to a the increase immune simple and screwed up attempt at super strength..

best bet is eugenics a lil slower but saver.. shifty hitler

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.