How did the Death Star go to light speed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
One thing we didn't get to see in the OT.

It would have to, going from one system to the next on patrol.

Was there ten thousand little thrusters than shot it in one direction?
It would need them to rotate, of course.

steverules_2
The dark side of the force works in many mysterious ways sly

Jaeh.is.Awesome
^ nice.

it probably could travel through hyperspace too... or something...

Q'Anilia
This is funny stick out tongue I wondered the same thing yesterday no expression (Well, kinda)

roughrider
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
^ nice.

it probably could travel through hyperspace too... or something...

It would have too. At regular orbiting speed it took several minutes to get around the moon of Yavin.

If it wasn't capable of light speed travel, imagine how long it would take to reach the rebel base.

Leia: "We've got to download the data from this R2 unit; it's our only hope."

General: "How long before the Death Star arrives here, Princess?"

Leia: (pause)..."Roughly a hundred years, General."

General: "Then we've got time. Let's relax and have some jawa juice." stick out tongue

roughrider
Heck, there's enough time to breed more clone armies for the Alliance. Lol.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by roughrider
It would have too. At regular orbiting speed it took several minutes to get around the moon of Yavin.

If it wasn't capable of light speed travel, imagine how long it would take to reach the rebel base.

Leia: "We've got to download the data from this R2 unit; it's our only hope."

General: "How long before the Death Star arrives here, Princess?"

Leia: (pause)..."Roughly a hundred years, General."

General: "Then we've got time. Let's relax and have some jawa juice." stick out tongue *laughs* actually, i jst realized i misread your question, and hae been for a few days now... i'm an idiot. *shakes head*

anyway, its prolly some huge hyperdrive engines... or something. its a huge destructive ball. how hard would it be to fly in space? I mean, it floats!

roughrider
Maybe the hyperdrive engine shoots out of the cannon chamber...?

steverules_2
*laughs* actually, i jst realized i misread your question, and hae been for a few days now... i'm an idiot. *shakes head*

anyway, its prolly some huge hyperdrive engines... or something. its a huge destructive ball. how hard would it be to fly in space? I mean, it floats!

Ok Ok I finally worked out...what vader does is shoot a nice force powered fart after some of Palps spicy Tacos and then it gets them there super fast...the force is strong with that one dur

roughrider
Originally posted by steverules_2
Ok Ok I finally worked out...what vader does is shoot a nice force powered fart after some of Palps spicy Tacos and then it gets them there super fast...the force is strong with that one dur

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (makes a pinching grip in the air) evil face

Jaeh.is.Awesome
laughing out loud

JediRobin23
Funny there are no worm holes in star wars

steverules_2
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (makes a pinching grip in the air) evil face

gun4ha-son

smurph

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Funny there are no worm holes in star wars

There was one the asteroid shifty

JediRobin23
the death star apparently never went into light speed. Its a plot hole

Jaeh.is.Awesome
hm. on the subject of worm/black holes, think anyone would make something like the new STrek movie (you know, black hole, someone traveling back in time etc.) Star Wars style after 20 years when Lucas is dead?

roughrider
hm. on the subject of worm/black holes, think anyone would make something like the new STrek movie (you know, black hole, someone traveling back in time etc.) Star Wars style after 20 years when Lucas is dead?

Well, Lucas isn't going to do any more regarding the six films. Would he allow someone at his company to do any reboot while he's around?

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

Q'Anilia
Originally posted by JediRobin23
the death star apparently never went into light speed. Its a plot hole

Yeah. The Essential Technology Guide does not mention lightspeed capability or anything of the sort.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Well, Lucas isn't going to do any more regarding the six films. Would he allow someone at his company to do any reboot while he's around?

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

and if he's gone?

roughrider
and if he's gone?

I don't know. On his deathbed in the 1980's, Orson Welles made sure to put in writing that CITIZEN KANE would never get colourized - Ted Turner was big into colourizing old B&W films then. And it's stuck to this day.
What could Lucas do to prevent anything he doesn't want? I think it could only apply to the six films he's made - no alterations. But someone - in the name of making LOTS OF MONEY for Lucasfilm -would think it's a good idea to do something new.
Believe me - there are (younger)people out there who do think the OT is old looking, even with the enhancements. I know of one who told me he'd like to see them remade.

JediRobin23
This map is kinda cool, may not be canon but gives an idea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Modimapgalaxy1.jpg

You will have to be going pretty quick past light speed to get anywhere quick

NoogDeNoog
the death star had hyper and sublight drives all around the equatorial trench. it had a hyperdrive multiplier of X4 and a sublight speed of 2D, per the death star technical companion by WEG.

roughrider
Originally posted by NoogDeNoog
the death star had hyper and sublight drives all around the equatorial trench. it had a hyperdrive multiplier of X4 and a sublight speed of 2D, per the death star technical companion by WEG.

"CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD!
You a smart motherf**ker; that's right!"

Jaeh.is.Awesome
...people knowing stuff like that still astounds me. >>.

Hewhoknowsall
Yes the Death Star CAN go at faster than lightspeed. I believe that this was stated somewhere. Plus, how else could it go to so many different planets accross the galaxy?

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Yes the Death Star CAN go at faster than lightspeed. I believe that this was stated somewhere. Plus, how else could it go to so many different planets accross the galaxy?

by floating?

JediRobin23
Whats hyperdrive multiplier X4? and whats sublight speed 2D? how fast is that?

NoogDeNoog
a hyperdrive is the "engine" they use in the star wars universe to travel from one system to another. a sublight drive is the "engine" they use to travel in system. in ESB, the reason han solo couldn't escape from the the imperials after the battle of hoth was because his hyperdrive was broken, he had to use his sublight drives to reach cloud city.

a hyperdrive multiplier of X4 is rather slow, the galactic standard is X2. the standard imperial navy multiplier is X1, the Millenium falcon has a multiplier of X.5. distance between systems is measured in hours of travel in hyperspace. so the distance of planet A to planet B is 100 hours. it would take the death star 400 hours, a vessel with a standard hyperdrive engine 200 hours, an imperial naval vessel 100 hours, and han solo 50 hours.

sort of the same with the sublight drive, 2D is kind of slow, i think a tie interceptor has a speed of something like 6D, can't remember right now. but the higher the number, the greater the speed.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
I learn so much...

hmm, then if Han used his sublight engines to get to cloud city, then that must mean it's real close...

NoogDeNoog
han even says the bespin is close in ESB.

if you want to learn more, try buying some west end games sourcebooks on ebay or something.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
^^' should be fun, but they cost a lot (for me at least) and I don't have time to cram them into my brain. I need the extra space for school stuff. Uni takes up most of your life mind/brain. ^^'

roughrider
by floating?
Everything floats in space. No gravity.

Lord-Sidious1
The Death Star I (DS-1) has two sub-light Sepma engines and has a hyperdrive rating of 4.0. It also had 123 SSPO6 hyperdrive engines to thrust it through space. These engines also accurately angled the Death Star in position for attacks.

queeq
How informative.

sweersa
Originally posted by Lord-Sidious1
The Death Star I (DS-1) has two sub-light Sepma engines and has a hyperdrive rating of 4.0. It also had 123 SSPO6 hyperdrive engines to thrust it through space. These engines also accurately angled the Death Star in position for attacks.

That is the ultimate pick up line.

queeq
*makes notes*

snoopdogg
In the Ultimate Visual guide it says the Death Star was capable of traveling through hyperspace.

queeq
I don't think that was news...

InfernoJG95
Originally posted by sweersa
That is the ultimate pick up line.

Damn that's why I always fail at getting girls now I have the perfect line

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.