Has This Been Discussed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Orlando
Alright, please bear with me since I'm new to these forums. This may have been discussed elsewhere, I'm not sure, but here's the question: Why didn't Qui-Gon's body vanish when he died? Yoda's did, and so did Obi-Wan's. I don't know if this information has been released somewhere or if it's still a topic for debate. Someone please enlighten me...

Ushgarak
Yeah, it is a common topic.

The question does in fact have to be reversed- it is why DID Yoda's and Obi-Wan's, not why didn't Qui-Gon's (notr any of the many Jedi who died in AOTC). Jedi are not meant to disappear when they die- this is something unique to the plotline of the original films.

It's all down to the ghost trick thing, a new power that is not known in the prequel time, but was first hinted at when we briefly heard Qui-Gopn's voice in ASOTC. Of course, he didn;t disappear, but that is the start of the principle of there being something after death, of which the disappearingn trick later on is an important part of.

"Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Obi-Wan knows some secret trick that Vader, fully trained as a Jedi, does not.

We will see how this develops in episode III but it seems likely it is something that Yoda and Obi-wan come up with.

Please ignore any mad theories fans may give you about him not disappearing due to being unprepared or not living up to his destiny. The simple answer is that whatever the secret is behind the disappearing trick, it was not known at the time of TPM.

Orlando
If it is a trick, some sort of Jedi ghost thing, then Vader must figure something out about it by the end of ROTJ...Anakin is seen as a ghost at the end of the film. I know Vader's body didnt vanish, but the ghost of Anakin was seen by Luke along with Yoda and Obi-Wan...

Ushgarak
Actually, whilst getting something canonoical about it is near impossible, the very strong trend- as it has been said by Rick McCallum and Steve Sansweet (Lucasfilm fan relations manager)- is that Anakin DID disappear inside the suit, and it was the empty shell that was burnt.

Which does, indeed, create problems, and serves to show that this is not a cut and dried issue yet. But if we assume that the reason that the ghost trick crops up now and not at any time before, it is because it is somehow releated to the Prophey and/or Anakin's status as the Chosen One. So maybe he could instinctively do it all along.

Orlando
I wondered about it being the armor that was burned. Maybe this is yet another instance of the films being studied WAY too much...

Koon Rulz
Qui Gon did not vanish because the first movie was new and the old movies made all the Jedi vanish

General Kaliero
The way that steam/smoke comes out the bottom of the mask kinda made me think, "Maybe there's something different here?" but I couldn't put my finger on it...

finti
this might turn into something funny

Julie
who knows....I think it'll be adressed in EpIII....yet another thing we all wait for anxiously

Captain REX
It's gotta be addressed, otherwise us fans will become cannibals and eat George Lucas and eat other out of the pure insanity of it.

ToMacco
I think Lucas forgot about vanishing Jedi when he made Episode I. Now he needs to come up with an explination.

Ushgarak
No he didn't forget about it! That was an important part of the prequel trilogy plot.

GordonSkywalker
According to StarWars.com,and George Lucas' people,the character of Qui Gon Jinn is very integral to not only Episode I but the entire prequel trilogy.His voice being heard by Yoda at the time Anakin wiped out the Tusken Village,will be explained and incorporated in Episode III.

Ushgarak
Yup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.