Student suspended for describing himself as "White African-American''.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
I just saw this on CNN, and thought it was interesting.
Can't find the link for it on their website, but I managed to find it here in written form -

http://www.1010wins.com/Ex-Student-Says-NJ-Medical-School-Discriminated/4374417

Thoughts?

jaden101
Another fine example of political correctness gone wrong.

Rogue Jedi
Irish, German, Cherokee. Bring it.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Irish, German, Cherokee. Bring it.
Awesome!
My partner is French, Italian, Mohawk.

Bardock42
It's quite funny in an ironic way.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, since he is more African American than those people who complained, who most likely never visited Africa. I bet their parents haven't been to Africa and possibly their grandparents too.

Kinneary
Ironic, considering its a class specifically about cultural diversity.

Symmetric Chaos
What happened to the people who harassed and assaulted him?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Considering he was suspended, I am guessing, nothing.

I am just finding this mind boggling, considering his situation, how else was he supposed to identify himself?

I find this whole thing really obnoxious.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by jaden101

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I am just finding this mind boggling, considering his situation, how else was he supposed to identify himself?

Apparently as "white" or "Caucasian" strict accuracy be damned.

I find this whole thing really obnoxious.

Extraordinarily.

Raoul
Originally posted by jaden101

assuming it was right in the first place.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Raoul
assuming it was right in the first place.

w00t burn the sandniggers!

Nemesis X
They suspended the guy just for that? I know a teacher wants to make an excuse to get rid of a student they don't like but that's just ridiculous.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Nemesis X
They suspended the guy just for that? I know a teacher wants to make an excuse to get rid of a student they don't like but that's just ridiculous.

According to CNN, he was suspended because he offended people with his statement and refused to take it back, which lead of mockery, harrasment or whatever and then suspention.

According to ABC, it was amongst others a vocal female student who complained, after which he was summuned into prof's office and advised never to identify himself as such and that his identification was offencive to people of colour.

If a visible minority gets offended, noone and I mean noone will risk any kind of accusation of racism towards the visible minority. It is a suicide for the career and the school.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Irish, German, Cherokee. Bring it. I'm part Cherokee and Italian. sad Damn Genes make a person drink. laughing out loud

Whoooooooooooo Oooooooooo.

On a sad note, they took my Great grandmother on the Trail of Tears......
Not good.........*sad*

THE JLRTENJAC
Can't find the link for it on their website, but I managed to find it here in written form -

Thoughts?

If he was born in Africa then moved here then, yea... he is an African American. I think it's racist to suspend him for calling himself what he is.

Ace of Knaves
Thoughts?

Pro apartheid South Africans?

Robtard

Thoughts?

I hope he sues them for millions and millions, might(na, it won't) put a dent in this the nonsense that has become 'politically correct.'

dadudemon
A fricken American, huh?

Yeah, he's fine calling himself that. I think it's cool.

I remember someone from South Africa, an older white guy, telling me that he is African American.

I was also told that, these days, Afro-American is used to describe someone who was born in Africa who later became a citizen of the US. I did some searching on teh internetz and I couldn't find anything except an Urban Dictionary reference to the Afro-American thing.

A black person, in highschool, told me the she doesn't like being caleld "African" American. She likes just to be caleld "American". She finds it retarded that there has to be a differentiation because no one says "English American' or "French American".

How about something like, "I'm an American with French ancestry.." or some shit.

BLACK! and stroooong!

King Kandy
This is a dumb issue to make a fuss about. It will get worked out.

BackFire
Haha, man if that story is actually true it's one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard in my 26 years on this earth. Almost mind bogglingly stupid, like something you'd hear on South Park or something as satire.

+10STR

It's ok, they were cops who just heard the words 'African-American' and put the smack down.

BADGALcharlie26
heard it all now how f'kd up is that to make a fuss about just that

Mindship
Any Black Swedish Americans in that class?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mindship
Any Black Swedish Americans in that class? Please, don't be offensive. It's Swedish African American.

lil bitchiness
Found ABC link here http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7567291&page=1

Originally posted by dadudemon
A fricken American, huh?

Yeah, he's fine calling himself that. I think it's cool.

I remember someone from South Africa, an older white guy, telling me that he is African American.

I was also told that, these days, Afro-American is used to describe someone who was born in Africa who later became a citizen of the US. I did some searching on teh internetz and I couldn't find anything except an Urban Dictionary reference to the Afro-American thing.

A black person, in highschool, told me the she doesn't like being caleld "African" American. She likes just to be caleld "American". She finds it retarded that there has to be a differentiation because no one says "English American' or "French American".

How about something like, "I'm an American with French ancestry.." or some shit.

BLACK! and stroooong!

I am guessing, that it was one of those things how white people took everything from black people and now they want their name too.

...is my guess.

Mr. Rhythmic

Thoughts?

Wow. Pussies.

Mindship
Originally posted by Bardock42
Please, don't be offensive. It's Swedish African American. I stand corrected, you Race/Faith (optional)] Nation of Ancestor Origin] Current National Citizenship], you.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Mindship
I stand corrected, you Race/Faith (optional)] Nation of Ancestor Origin] Current National Citizenship], you.

What about us who have citizenships of more than two countries and a perminent resident of a complitely different one?

You are clearly being racist! RACIST!!!

Bardock42
What about us who have citizenships of more than two countries and a perminent resident of a complitely different one?

You are clearly being racist! RACIST!!! Shut up you Jewish Russian Anglo Canado-American.

I think.

lord xyz
Shut up you Jewish Russian Anglo Canado-American.

I think. You forgot to mention she is European, as saying she's just American would mean she's Cherokee, Aztec or Inuit.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
You forgot to mention she is European, as saying she's just American would mean she's Cherokee, Aztec or Inuit. Don't be silly, Europeans aren't getting generalized, they are categorized by their specific country, seeing as European people...at least the white Europeans are the most valuable people in the world.

LordFear
Dumb shit. As a fricken American, I hope the kid sues the crap out of the school. Bunch of dumbasses

lord xyz
Don't be silly, Europeans aren't getting generalized, they are categorized by their specific country, seeing as European people...at least the white Europeans are the most valuable people in the world. But must be called American/Caucasian. Otherwise they support Al-Qaeda.

Mindship
What about us who have citizenships of more than two countries and a perminent resident of a complitely different one? I can multi-task only so many brackets.

You are clearly being racist! RACIST!!! No, just limited.

Oh wait, was that being...retardist??

chomperx9
can believe someone would get suspended just for describing themself as black and white. lol ok getting suspended for saying your male and female in class ok maybe thats a little different but still funny.

Hewhoknowsall
Another example of how f***** up the school system is.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chomperx9
can believe someone would get suspended just for describing themself as black and white. lol ok getting suspended for saying your male and female in class ok maybe thats a little different but still funny.

He didn't say he was black and white . . .

chomperx9
He didn't say he was black and white . . . the begining of the thread said he described himself as that and got suspended

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chomperx9
the begining of the thread said he described himself as that and got suspended

No he said he was a white, african-american.

He's caucasian (white) was born in Africa (african) and is now a US citizen (american). White african-american is the accurate way to describe himself, from an objective standpoint he has a much better claim to being african-american than most black people who live in the US.

chomperx9

He's caucasian (white) was born in Africa (african) and is now a US citizen (american). White african-american is the accurate way to describe himself, from an objective standpoint he has a much better claim to being african-american than most black people who live in the US. oh ok my bad i get it. thought he was mixed family race

lil bitchiness
Shut up you Jewish Russian Anglo Canado-American.

I think.

You're kind of there, but sort of way off. stick out tongue

Robtard
You're kind of there, but sort of way off. stick out tongue

Y-you're J-j-jewish? You should have told me that BEFORE you spread your cheeks to me! I feel so betrayed and used.

Deja~vu
I guess people who use words like that, i.e. French American and the like, have more of a certain other race or blood in them. I often say I am Italian because I am half. I never use the word American because that is a given already.

Hmm, we always ask each other what background we are. It's interesting to know. My girlfriends husband has a bad temper and we know...HE IS IRISH!! Red hair too. LOL

Ace of Knaves

He's caucasian (white) was born in Africa (african) and is now a US citizen (american). White african-american is the accurate way to describe himself, from an objective standpoint he has a much better claim to being african-american than most black people who live in the US.

Yes. I have 4 friends from South Africa and they are all white and all from Africa. 2 of them are multi-generational and not just colonists. This is an instance where the projected notion of educated liberal schools is bitting themselves in the ass. But, more over, I can say that it also illustrates that American schools are way behind the bar because they even worry about race, nationality and origin in their registering process. If we're so far beyond everyone else, then what race or colour we are is irrelevant. It's not like this kid made up his test scores, as far as I know; that's all that should matter.

Deja~vu
People get hung up on words.

Words are actually meaningless, well unless youre a man. LOL

Wild Shadow
i knew a kid whose parents were missionaries, when he was asked where he was from he stated he was south african something or other. i dont see the big deal, nor do i care how he chooses to describe himself if at all.

Ace of Knaves
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i knew a kid whose parents were missionaries, when he was asked where he was from he stated he was south african something or other. i dont see the big deal, nor do i care how he chooses to describe himself if at all.

This story means enough to you to bring it up in a group of strangers, but not enough to actually remember the details that make it memorable?

Deja~vu
Huh.?? Go back to where you came from. drunk

chomperx9
i used to know a ginger kid in my class everyone picked on him cause if anyone got near someone else could have gotten the ginger virus to.

Deja~vu
What's a ginger kid? blink

Christmas cookie??

Robtard
A Red-Head.

KidRock

http://paulfite.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/al-sharpton.jpg

Mindset
He should be drawn and quartered

chithappens
Black American and African American are very different and should be used at such.

People are dumb.

Robtard
Most idiot part of this, he didn't say African-American, he said Caucasian, African and American. Denoting his ethnicity, nationality of birth and citizenship status.

Really, everyone who gave him shit should be kicked in the teeth and then ass-raped by a rhino with syphilis.

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
Really, everyone who gave him shit should be kicked in the teeth and then ass-raped by a rhino with syphilis. Don't be subtle; tell us how you really feel.

Deja~vu
hahahahaha.

CATMANEXE
the whole thing stupid.
you should be able to identify yourself as whatever the hell you
please regardless of what you are or are not and whoever is around.
if i decide im Mort The Crap Covered Testical today, then god dammit, thats who im identifying myself as and you can either accept my choice,
or ignore it. makes no differance.

DeathKap
Wow that just stupid. Being suspended for what u r?

Sadako of Girth
Yeah its not like the guy was trying to be entered in the MOBO awards or anything.

The Scribe
What? confused

He should sue the school for the suspension and for being mentally challenged.

People are born in Africa that are not black.

I know it shocked me too. Sit back and take it all in for a few minutes.

wink

FistOfThe North
Keanue Reeves and Chalize Theron are African Americans but they're White, what's the big deal?

I wonder if they would've been kicked out?

lord xyz
Originally posted by CATMANEXE
the whole thing stupid.
you should be able to identify yourself as whatever the hell you
please regardless of what you are or are not and whoever is around.
if i decide im Mort The Crap Covered Testical today, then god dammit, thats who im identifying myself as and you can either accept my choice,
or ignore it. makes no differance. Reading that was difficult.

I'd hate to imagine how a dyslexic person would've felt.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.