Would you recommend Star Trek: Enterprise?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Shindiggery
Hey fellow Trekkers I have come to ask if you guys would recommend watching Star Trek: Enterprise, I love the Original Series and when I think of Trek that is the series I associate with it and I love the films, well most of them, my favs are 2,4,6,8,10 and 11. I also like Next Generation and love Voyager, what do you guys reckon and don`t forget to vote.

BruceSkywalker
only watch enterprise to see jolene blalock show some skin

The Nuul
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
only watch enterprise to see jolene blalock show some skin

End of thread.

Raoul
Originally posted by Mr Shindiggery
Hey fellow Trekkers I have come to ask if you guys would recommend watching Star Trek: Enterprise, I love the Original Series and when I think of Trek that is the series I associate with it and I love the films, well most of them, my favs are 2,4,6,8,10 and 11. I also like Next Generation and love Voyager, what do you guys reckon and don`t forget to vote.

If you're a completist, then yes, watch it.

If you managed to sit through voyager without hurling a blunt object at the screen, then yes.

saintsaucey
It was a brilliant Idea that failed misserably.

The things they did right: Coming Up With The Temporal Cold War

The things they did wrong: Not ending The Temporal Cold War Well
Using The Borg
Using The Ferringi
Explaining The Reason For The Difference Between TOS Klingons and Movie/TNG/DS9/Voyager Klingons

Darth Jello
I actually really liked enterprise, especially after it hit its stride around season 3. I just wish it had another season or two to cover the Earth-Romulan War and to have a better conclusion than the crappy finale it had or maybe even revealed who the shadowy guy commanding the Suliban was (I have my own idea...)

dadudemon
Ditto on the Suliban comment. I wanted to know more.

Also, I loved Enterprise. It was very fun getting to see them from the "old days".

I really enjoyed TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. I remember, as a kid, thinking that some things in TOS were stupid...overly dramatic, while other things were simply cool. DS9 was more of a soap opera in a Star Trek universe, but it had its moments and was quite awesome at times.

Here they are, ranked from least to greatest: TOS, DS9, Enterprise, Voyager, and TNG.

saintsaucey
Nope sorry it is greatest to worst DS9 TNG Voyager TOS and Enterprise
As far as the movies go it is Undiscovered Country, The Wrath Of Kahn, First Contact (JJ Abrahms Reboot) The Voyage Home, The Search For Spock, Generations, Insurection, The Motion Picture, with Final Frontier and Nemisis tieing for the suckiest treck ever

dadudemon
Originally posted by saintsaucey
Nope sorry it is greatest to worst DS9 TNG Voyager TOS and Enterprise
As far as the movies go it is Undiscovered Country, The Wrath Of Kahn, First Contact (JJ Abrahms Reboot) The Voyage Home, The Search For Spock, Generations, Insurection, The Motion Picture, with Final Frontier and Nemisis tieing for the suckiest treck ever

First Contact was my fav Star Trek movie, still is. smile

Darth Jello
Originally posted by dadudemon
Ditto on the Suliban comment. I wanted to know more.

If there is ever another TV show, I would like this to be revealed as a premise-
In the JJ Abrams alternate reality the enterprise fails to stop some threat to earth like the whale probe, V'Ger or some other threat resulting in a disaster and some horrible future. Some future version of a familiar character from TNG finds out that the past has been changed but not the specifics. He turns out to be the shadowy figure manipulating the Suliban.

Raoul
enterprise had its faults (using too many enemies from the regular series), but i still enjoyed it's best bits more than i enjoyed most of voyager...

Kinneary
I liked Enterprise. Not as much as DS9, but I rank it higher than TNG (which is probably the second lowest after Voyager). It was an interesting take on the early days of Starfleet, when the cornerstone races didn't get along like they did later on. Sometimes they took things a bit too far, like with the Borg, but all in all it was pretty good. The crew dynamics weren't as good as in other shows either, but all in all I thought it was great. The first season didn't really sit too well with me, but what show is great in its first season?

If they had been able to flesh out the Earth-Romulan War (as they were clearly intending by putting it so close to that timeframe), I think it would have ended up as a staple.

*edit for grammar

Raoul
you didn't like TNG?

Kinneary
It was a bit too crisp. Everyone got along too well, and the characters existed without any moral shades of gray. I liked the show, I still watch it sometimes, but I don't think it ranks up there with DS9, TOS, or even Enterprise. Enterprise could be bland sometimes, but man, when it shined, it really did.

That said, after Sisko, Picard is my favorite captain.

Raoul
Originally posted by Kinneary
It was a bit too crisp. Everyone got along too well, and the characters existed without any moral shades of gray. I liked the show, I still watch it sometimes, but I don't think it ranks up there with DS9, TOS, or even Enterprise. Enterprise could be bland sometimes, but man, when it shined, it really did.

That said, after Sisko, Picard is my favorite captain.

in the early seasons, i think you're right, but i think BOBW marked a shift in the show, and it got a little darker after that...

Kinneary
It did, season 4 and on was great. But the lack of character conflict made it just too unrealistic. Everyone got along too well. It was a flaw that, although was intended, just stuck the series into the lower dregs for me.

Raoul
Originally posted by Kinneary
It did, season 4 and on was great. But the lack of character conflict made it just too unrealistic. Everyone got along too well. It was a flaw that, although was intended, just stuck the series into the lower dregs for me.

well i do think you make a fair point, and it's because of that, that i prefer DS9 over all others. i do prefer TNG to TOS and Enterprise, though. TNG has some classic episodes, and some great characters imo...

If not for the amount of novelty or ferengi episodes, DS9 would trounce the others imo...

Kinneary
I have to agree, they went a bit overboard with the amount of Ferengi on DS9. And yeah, TNG definitely had classic episodes. When I say I rank TNG near bottom, that doesn't mean I think it's a bad show by any means. It's still ****ing great - just, to me, not as good as the others.

Raoul
lol, i'd still have it over enterprise, personally...

Sadako of Girth
Yeah, despite my unminor hatred of Will Wheaton's Crusher, TNG is the winner for me outside of TOS and the movies.

I concur on the quality of the movies being 2,4,6,8, 11 for me.

They really did break the odd number curse with this one.

On paper Enterprise sounds like a winner, but every time I watched it, from the second that Russell Watson started singing, my ears, brain and eyes bled in perfect unison.

~JP~
To answer the question - hell Id quit after DS9 cause anything after that is major suckage. laughing out loud

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
On paper Enterprise sounds like a winner, but every time I watched it, from the second that Russell Watson started singing, my ears, brain and eyes bled in perfect unison.

Yeah, I wasn't feeling the opening song.

Raoul
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah, I wasn't feeling the opening song.

me either. i skipped it every time i watched episodes... still do...

darthmaul1
Enterprise show was good, better than Voyager, i couldn't even watch that crap, and DS( only got good once the dominion war and the trials and tribulation episodes.

The best episodes of enterprise had to be the mirror episode "in a mirror darkly" where they get into the OST ship it was very well done episode. unfortunately they found out they were being cancelled while filiming these 2 episodes, and it ended. and they hurried to finish the final few shows which sucked.
order of shows liked best to worst OST, NG, Enterprise, DS9 and voyager.
order of movies like best to worst, wrath of khan, undiscovered country, star trek the new one, voyage home, search for spock, next one is a tie motion picture(great story just boring as all hell but it was interesting) and first contact(good action). for me all the rest are 5,7,9,10 are just crap and do not exist and never did exist. So in my mind Kirk is still alive or it is unknown how he died.

If you are going to watch enterprise watch season 4 in a mirror darkly

Sadako of Girth
Plus T'pol in those episodes is very possibly the hottest woman Ive ever ever seen with these here eyes.

Ridiculously uber UBER gorgeous.

saintsaucey
I liked voyager

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by darthmaul1

If you are going to watch enterprise watch season 4 in a mirror darkly

I hated that episode cause it had No Damn Ending!!! That was really irritating.. If theyre not gna give it an ending then dnt make it.. I mean how was that a prequel to the first mirror universe episode??

And It would have changed history so the mirror universe was much more advanced by the original series (seeing as they had the 23rd century constellation class back in the 22nd century)

Robtard
Originally posted by saintsaucey

Explaining The Reason For The Difference Between TOS Klingons and Movie/TNG/DS9/Voyager Klingons

I thought that decently done. I especially liked Borderlands, Cold Station 12 and The Augments episodes.

Robtard
Plus T'pol in those episodes is very possibly the hottest woman Ive ever ever seen with these here eyes.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2919690341_8fe00ea5f9.jpg

dadudemon

Indeed. Not the best ever, lol, but one of the hottest Star Trek babes from all the series. I'm trying to think of all the Star Trek Girls minus Wesley Crusher, of course. hmm

Yeah...it's gotta be fully babe T'Pol. (not the short hair version, but the version that has long hair and is smokin'.)

QUICK, someone name all of the recurring babes from all the Star Treks!

-Pr-
Uhuru, Troi, Yar, Dax(s), Kira, Leeta, Seven, B'Elanna.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by -Pr-
Uhuru, Troi, Yar, Dax(s), Kira, Leeta, Seven, B'Elanna.
SHe beats all of them IMO...except maybe Seven of Nine.

Skorn254
I would recommend it for sure. You can watch all the episodes on CBS.com so your good.

Doctor-Alvis
I kinda liked enterprise. Especially when they got off that Xindi thing.

I felt like I was represented on that show though. Not because of any kind of story though. It was because when Archer used the shadowy time traveler man's portal to get back to his time he kicks the bad guy on the way out. I knew that on that writing team, someone was like "No, that doesn't seem right. We have an opportunity here and we can't waste it. I won't let that happen." And now we have a Star Trek where the captain of the Enterprise drop kicks a man through a time portal. I would have done no less if I was a writer for that show.

olympian
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I hated that episode cause it had No Damn Ending!!! That was really irritating.. If theyre not gna give it an ending then dnt make it.. I mean how was that a prequel to the first mirror universe episode??

And It would have changed history so the mirror universe was much more advanced by the original series (seeing as they had the 23rd century constellation class back in the 22nd century)
The mirror stuff was suppose to continue in a next season, that was never made.

I recommend it. Bakula sometimes overdoes the acting, but Shatner and Stewart made a living out of overacting theyr roles. It looks good, it features great stuff (the Xindi, the early days before the Federation, the prime races getting along, the first quadrants being explored). I also think they did something bolder this time. They showed a captain that only really became a "Captain" by the 3rd Season. They showed someone with huge flaws and a hatred to Vulcans, to grow and learn from his mistakes.

I have seen many disliking Archer because of dumb decisions, but i say that in a context where litereally no man had gone through what he did before, you couldn`t have it any other way, and i personally liked how the character grew up.

He actually ended up becoming my favorite Captain. Man had balls.

Darth Jello
So here's something I'm hoping someone can verify. I heard somewhere that Berman or Braga or one of the other writers say that if Enterprise had gone onto a 5th season, that they would've revealed that the future guy was a Romulan, that the Temporal Cold War was just the build up to the Earth-Romulan War, and that the rest of the series would've made DS9 seem like roses and rainbows by comparison. Is that true?
It would definitely address one issue I had with enterprise in that they always relied on the Xindi and the Suliban and the Klingons and I think they even mentioned the Kzinti from the cartoon but I always thought that the two most threatening Alpha/Beta races, partially due to how relatively little screen time they got were the Romulans and the Tholians. Sure, Romulan technology seemed kind of behind in the original series but in every other incarnation they were kind of this mysterious threat.
As for the Tholians...maybe I'm just biased from playing star flee academy on the SNES an having them gang up on me two at a time and beat my ass constantly (their standard weapon is a plasma torpedo, WTF!?!)...

-Pr-
I actually heard the same thing. They did continue it in the books (including a major change), but it's not the same naturally...

inboundcp
yeh great big grin

inboundcp
Whooa I missed it

the ninjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
If you're a completist, then yes, watch it.

If you managed to sit through voyager without hurling a blunt object at the screen, then yes.

I loved Voyager.

Enterprise sucked major though. The creator died and Enterprise sprung forth.

Rick Deckard
First of all, I wanted to say that I consider myself a moderate Trek fan. I've seen most of TOS, the first several seasons of ST:TNG, and most of the theatrical films, but I've never seen an episode of "Voyager" or "Deep Space nine".

That being said, I saw all four seasons of Enterprise on DVD several years back and was truly blown away by the show - I felt that it was extremely well-done and interesting. The characters were likeable, the acting was solid, the scripts were exceptional, and the effects were excellent, even by today's standards.

My favorite Trek film was First Contact, so I really liked how this show tied into that film. I actually prefer Enterprise to TNG and TOS & thus it's my favorite ST series, though I know I'm not in the majority here. It's possible that since I'm not a hardcore Trek fan I was more open to enjoying the show, since it was so different from the previous series.

One of the many things I liked about the show was the setting - it was set before the "Prime Directive", which stated that you couldn't interfere in a planet's doings, so the crew could have interaction with a planet's inhabitants. I also liked the show's homage to TOS, since it featured some of the older aliens like the Andorians (the blue-skinned ones with the antennae), as well as the Romulans.

I also thought it interesting that the characters were just getting to know and understand the technology that was considered standard in the later series, i.e. the transporter, phaser, etc.

The time-travel subplot (with aliens from far in the future) was very well-handled, as well as the storyline where they went back in time to WWII Earth.

There were also many, many stand-alone episodes that were great, including the pilot ("Broken Bow"wink, the time-travel one where they went back to 1950's America, the episode where Archer met a ghost-like woman on an isolated planet, etc.

I'm also probably one of the few that liked the intro song and images - it was cool how they showed the first airplane and space flights, etc., all leading up to the flight of the "Enterprise"

I would have to say that the only episode I not only didn't like but hated was the final one - I thought it was ridiculous that the events in the show were being viewed through the holodeck by TNG's characters (especially since I was never a real fan of TNG). It would've been much better & IMHO easier to just have it run as a regular episode.

Steve Zodiac
The Original Series is far better than all the other shows or films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.