Antichrist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes

Mr. Rhythmic
...Why would you want to see it? Sounds like a big gimmick to grasp attention by "going there".

SnakeEyes
Don't see how it's a gimmick. Lars Von Trier's a fairly renowned filmmaker, it's not like he's making the next "Saw" or "Hostel." And from what I can gather, his most recent film (which this thread's about) "Antichrist" seems to be pretty personal and may have some sort of message to it. Add to that that the first reviews have been pretty polarizing and it shouldn't be hard to see why this film piques one's interest.

ThunderGodEneru
That and it sounds like a good turn-on flick.

I'm horny just thinking about it.

MildPossession
Lars von Trier is an amazing film maker; he made Dancer in the Dark, one of the best films ever, love it.

So naturally, with him directing and the wonderful Charlotte Gainsbourg as one of the leads, it's a must see for me. Looks nice and weird.

MildPossession
Uh oh, it got booed at the cannes film festival showing, and laughed at...

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Don't see how it's a gimmick. Lars Von Trier's a fairly renowned filmmaker, it's not like he's making the next "Saw" or "Hostel." And from what I can gather, his most recent film (which this thread's about) "Antichrist" seems to be pretty personal and may have some sort of message to it. Add to that that the first reviews have been pretty polarizing and it shouldn't be hard to see why this film piques one's interest.

Actually, it is just like "Saw". It's a film that's so caught up in itself, that it thinks that it's something amazing. And yet it's another "Oh yeah, we did that" movie.

MildPossession
So you have seen it?

SnakeEyes
Yeah, honestly. You just found out about this movie when I created this topic a couple nights ago, yet you have such a strong negative reaction based on... what exactly?

Originally posted by MildPossession

Not good, but again, this makes me want to see it all the more so I can form my own opinion on it.

BruceSkywalker
Lars von Trier is an amazing film maker; he made Dancer in the Dark, one of the best films ever, love it.

So naturally, with him directing and the wonderful Charlotte Gainsbourg as one of the leads, it's a must see for me. Looks nice and weird.

I love charlotte gainsbourg as well

I have never been one to do read reviews or always believe what a critic says so I may see this

MildPossession
Yeah, think she is a wonderful actress, like her music too.

The actual film didn't get booed, it was the very end that got the boos and groans when a dedication came up on the screen at the end for the wonderful film director Andrei Tarkovsky. His film Mirror was one influence on Lars von Trier's Antichrist.

MildPossession

BruceSkywalker
Yeah, think she is a wonderful actress, like her music too.

The actual film didn't get booed, it was the very end that got the boos and groans when a dedication came up on the screen at the end for the wonderful film director Andrei Tarkovsky. His film Mirror was one influence on Lars von Trier's Antichrist.

ok, thanks for telling me about me Mirror, I may try to find that to watch it

Kris Blaze

The people at the Cannes festival supposedly had a lot of walkouts on Irreversible, and that was still a great movie. I wouldn't let the reception there dictate your opinion of the movie.

MildPossession
It doesn't.

Dr. Leg Kick
**** Cannes.

They hated Medellin in Entourage stick out tongue

Bunch of jerks.

But ya, I'm hearing great things about this film. Watch Martyr's and loved it, so I'm expecting big things from this French film as well.

That ACDC Chick
looks awesomemmm

Kris Blaze
Just got back from the movies.

This film was incredible.

MildPossession
Damn, where are you in Europe? moi is jealous, and hates you. stick out tongue It doesn't even have an official release date here in Britain yet. sad

MildPossession

MildPossession
I guess the video on demand thing is an American thing.

MildPossession
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1200742/CHRISTOPHER-HART-What-DOES-film-banned-days.html

Read this, the guy hasn't even seen the film!! It gives some of the film away, so if not bothered, click away.

Nothing surprising coming from the Daily Mail newspaper.

Amusing, really amusing. AND will they never learn, wonderful wonderful advertising for the film. I believe a % who would not have bothered with the film will see it just to see what all the fuss is about.

Ha ha.

Kris Blaze
Am I the only one who has seen this movie? 313

From the article

MildPossession
I've just seen it, and talk about the film critics exaggerating over everything in the film as usual... especially that moron critic above that I linked to who hasn't even seen it.

I thought the film was very good but not amazing, and had some moments I could have done without, for example I did in fact laugh at the Fox talking...

It's funny, the most disturbing thing for me in the film was the violence towards the animals, and the animals hurt etc, especially the Deer with the dead fawn hanging out of it.

Definitely worth seeing because the cinematography/art direction is fantastic. Charlotte Gainsbourg was also fantastic, a brave actress in this.

jinXed by JaNx
This movie is eerie. It reminded me of the first time i saw, Magic. It made me feel like i was going insane. I guess for that aspect it was a good movie. There is also something about the tone of the film. It just gave me some eerie vibes. The only real problem i had was the pacing. Many scenes did tend to drag on.

The Nuul
Looks interesting...

MildPossession
It's very interesting.

The release in Australia has a really clever poster design. Just had a look at it.

BackFire
I saw this earlier, and I was rather impressed.

While I do agree with MP that the critic response to this film has been a bit over the top and exaggerated, it was quite disturbing, but not for the reasons most have said.

Much like Salo, the thing that I found most unsettling in this film was a kind of extremely despairing and hopeless tone that lasted through the entire film; it actually felt as if real evil somehow attached itself to this movie.

Other aspects were great. The acting was outstanding, especially the actress. Very daring performances.

It was also amazing to look at, an art house horror film is so very rare, when one comes along that is actually of high quality like this one was, it's always quite an experience. Some brilliant imagery in this film.

Definitely a quality film, here.

Oh yeah, the talking fox, though, that was a bit goofy.

MildPossession
It's not like we needed the fox to say the words anyway, the same words came up in the separate chapter cards from what I can remember.

BackFire
Indeed they were.

The Nuul
Looks really well crafted but after reading whats it about...not sure if I am fan of what he does. Thus prob will skip this one.

jaden101
Astonishing visual film. Especially the scenes in slow motion when she's walking up to the cabin in her mind.

I really don't think the controversy over some of it is warrented though. Wow...You see a penis going into a vagina for a fraction of a second...Big deal. The only scene of any disturbance in the cliterodectomy. Maybe the choking scene too.

I think mountains and mole hills apply here. Not the film I expected at all.

BackFire
Indeed, the controversy certainly didn't fit the actual film. Critics are going soft, maybe. Pussies.

Dr. Leg Kick
I think I said this in another thread, the film should have been called 'The Whore of Babylon'.

Besides the incredible directing/cinematography, this film is boring. Not my cup of tea.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by BackFire
Indeed, the controversy certainly didn't fit the actual film. Critics are going soft, maybe. Pussies.

Supposedly people had to leave the theatres and such.

What the hell is happening to these supposed movie critics? I saw this with three people from my class, two of them were girls. What kind of person, who critiques movies for a god damned living, would find themselves incapable of seeing this through? Buncha prudes.

lil bitchiness
I will see this tomorrow. I am kind of grossed out by sexual violence I have been told I will be seeing. But I guess it's better I am warned...

MildPossession
If you can see things like Martyrs/Inside, then AntiChrist shouldn't be much of a stretch in the violence/gore department. I know the other two were not 'sexual violence' but still.

I found the scene in the film Inside where the belly is cut open more disturbing than the 'woman' in AntiChrist self-mutilating her vagina . The scenes from Inside stayed with me longer than anything in AntiChrist.

BruceSkywalker
i have been a fan of charlotte gainsbourg for many years..

this film was total shiite

lil bitchiness
Ok, I have seen it. It was cringe inducing to say at least, but I liked it.

I find it is difficult to point to exactly what this film was supposed to be saying, but one overtone which struck me the most, and which I thought was absolutely amazing is that things which are attributed to God, are actually Satan's work. Brilliant. It felt like it was saying that it wasn't God that created the world, but Satan. It showed nature as cruel, evil and unforgiving. Which it kind of is. When She said that women are most influenced by nature, indicated that female is the inherent evil.

I did not see this movie as misogynist at all. I found it to be an interesting idea.
Cinematography was amazing, as was symbolism. He and She as well - firstly, nameless, then He the voice of science, reason and rationality, She is the emotion filled one unable to rationalize.
The typical things which are attributed to men and women. The woods being called Eden. Overtones of sex, violence and pain. The three beggers.

I would not re-watch it though. It is far too dark and disturbing. And not just ''the scenes'' but the whole overtone of the movie.

BackFire
That was the main theme of the film, that the world was not created by god, but by satan.

The film was apparently made while the director was suffering from depression, which accounts for the infinitely bleak tone.

Sith Master X
Not sure if I want to see this one. Willem Dafoe scare the hell out of me.

SnakeEyes
Going to see this tonight.

SnakeEyes
Alright, so I saw this last night and I kind of have mixed feelings. First off, like many of you said, the acting (by Dafoe AND Gainsbourg) and cinematography were both fantastic, no doubt about it. But I had trouble with what von Trier was trying to say. I felt like he was throwing a bunch of imagery and symbolism at the audience without putting it in any context or providing any explanation. I felt like the movie made/makes much more sense to him than it does anyone viewing it. I applaud it for it's consistently dark/disturbing tone, the dedicated acting and the beautiful visuals, but I can't say much more than that. The characters themselves weren't even all that likable. Lars von Trier has a tendency to take an extremely likable/sympathetic character (ie Dancer in the Dark) and make him or her suffer endlessly, which evokes emotion obviously. When the characters suffered in this movie, I found myself less affected by it. I was very sympathetic toward the woman throughout the first half hour or so until she got a bit too crazy for me to care.

Anyway, this movie was worth watching once for me, but I don't think I'll return to it, I didn't get much out of it unfortunately.

Great date movie though. cool

And yeah the fox was ridiculous.

MildPossession
Do you think Gainsbourg has a chance at the Best Actress Oscar next year? or too much for the Oscars. Or I'm totally out of the time frame for Oscar nominations... I hope she is nominated.

jaden101
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Alright, so I saw this last night and I kind of have mixed feelings. First off, like many of you said, the acting (by Dafoe AND Gainsbourg) and cinematography were both fantastic, no doubt about it. But I had trouble with what von Trier was trying to say. I felt like he was throwing a bunch of imagery and symbolism at the audience without putting it in any context or providing any explanation. I felt like the movie made/makes much more sense to him than it does anyone viewing it. I applaud it for it's consistently dark/disturbing tone, the dedicated acting and the beautiful visuals, but I can't say much more than that. The characters themselves weren't even all that likable. Lars von Trier has a tendency to take an extremely likable/sympathetic character (ie Dancer in the Dark) and make him or her suffer endlessly, which evokes emotion obviously. When the characters suffered in this movie, I found myself less affected by it. I was very sympathetic toward the woman throughout the first half hour or so until she got a bit too crazy for me to care.

Anyway, this movie was worth watching once for me, but I don't think I'll return to it, I didn't get much out of it unfortunately.

Great date movie though. cool

And yeah the fox was ridiculous.

The purpose of putting symbolism in movies isn't to hand it on a plate to the audience though. You'll either recognise it as symbolism but be unsure of what it means and need to look it up or you'll know what it means and it's purpose in the movie or you'll not even notice it.

All I know is that the fox, deer and crow are in some Native American allegory.

It could also be a simple reference to spiritual meanings.

I never looked into it myself as I didn't think it would change my opinion of the movie for the better or worse.

BackFire
Do you think Gainsbourg has a chance at the Best Actress Oscar next year? or too much for the Oscars. Or I'm totally out of the time frame for Oscar nominations... I hope she is nominated.

I'd love for her to be nominated. She was outstanding.

I doubt it will happen, though. Movies like this, and the performances within them, are often overlooked by them.

K.Diddy
evil face Is this movie worth buying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.