Should Hollywood Take a Break from Comic Book Movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Chancho
I was wondering about this the other day and I was just curious what everyone thinks...

With the release of comic book movies as of late, only a handful is worth watching. I know many people will disagree with which movies are better than others, but it seems to me that the comic book movie is becoming annoying and it's no longer exciting to see. When Spiderman came out I was very excited, although I was disappointed with the films, nonetheless I couldn't wait to see one of my favorite characters come to life. But with the fail of Wolverine, another favorite, it seems that the excitement is lost. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern, Avengers, and Iron Man 2. But I think the movies would be more appreciated if one didn't come out every 2 months. That way we won't get crappy movies like Fantastic Four 1 and 2, Wolverine, Street Fighter, Dragon Ball Z, (i know the previous 2 are not comic books but they fall into the same genre, sort of) Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman, the first Hulk movie and more. It seems that Hollywood is just giving any comic book character a movie. Would the genre benefit from a break?

SpaceMonkey
If we got The Dark Knight and IronMan claliber movies every 2 months, it'd be fine. The problem is all the filler crap you mentioned. As long as it's high-quiality stuff, I want it to come out weekly! LOL

Chancho
But don't you think that it hurt the good movies? I know that they help them in comparison, but at the same time i feel people think to themselves "oh no not another comic book movie".

Badabing
Wouldn't mind a couple of super hero flicks per year from Marvel and DC.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Chancho
But don't you think that it hurt the good movies? I know that they help them in comparison, but at the same time i feel people think to themselves "oh no not another comic book movie".

Yeah, true. I believe people will take to the quality though... regardless of the quantity. I see your point though.

Q'Anilia
Can't have too much Marvel and DC heroes and villains in the movie theatre if you ask me. Bring 'em on. All of them. As much as possible happy

Worst thing that happens is that it's a significant avert from canon or a character does not get portrayed very well. While the movie might not be as good as it could've been, I personally won't cry for spending 2 hours and a lesser amount of money on a movie that could've been good.

Wasting a couple of hours every year ain't going to kill me if the movies turn out bad smile I'm not that time-greedy.

BruceSkywalker
Hollywood will never take a break a break from comic book movies..

But obviously not every one will be successful, but that will stop Hollywood from making them

roughrider
After a childhood where you got a Superman or a Batman film once every few years - and virtually nothing else - this is a golden age. These are big & important properties for the studios now; there's no reason to stop.

Al the Killer
It's like saying they should take a break from comedies. It's really just another genre. One that comes with a built in audience to boot.

Raoul
Originally posted by Badabing
Wouldn't mind a couple of super hero flicks per year from Marvel and DC.

Badabing
I thought they had to make enough movies in order to keep the character rights?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by Raoul

jalek moye
Originally posted by Badabing
I thought they had to make enough movies in order to keep the character rights?
they do they need one every so many years

Indestructible
No. There are always shit(such as Elektra and Catwoman) then there are Masterpiece's(The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Watchmen ect.) I really didnt thin DD was that bad better than some of the Superman's and A 100 times better than Batman and Robin.

jinXed by JaNx
I don't have a problem with Superhero movies. The problem i do have is how a studio can horde the rights of comic book property. I know that isn't the studios fault, they purchased the rights for a contractual period of time fairly but as a fan, it is really disheartening. So, no, i don't think Hollywood should stop making Superhero movies. I think Studios should be a little more willing to share their property though. Thankfully, Marvel has started making their own movies, so hopefully this will result in more faithful and professional movies, unlike those shitty movies that their making over at Fox stick out tongue

Besides, If studios stopped making comic book movies now, the comic book movie reputation may fall back into a doldrum. We need them to keep making Comic book movies at the same rate they are now. Yeah, we will get 8 bad movies for every ONE masterpiece but as long as comic book movies continue to make money we will continue to see notable actors, writers and Directors clamoring to get involved.

Chancho
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that there's anything wrong with comic book movies. I just feel that they would be more appreciated if it wasn't so often. If Hollywood were to take a break, meaning a comic book movie every 2 years rather than 2 every year. I think that even the bad movies would be made a little better.

GreatMuta
Can't wait for The Spirit 2 no

Kazenji
As long as Miller hands the director role to someone else.

Stoic
Should Hollywood Take a Break from Comic Book Movies?

Hell No! Well as long as they keep them good... Let's face it the only way Hollywood will even slightly keep up with the video game industry is with comic book flicks, The Matrix made this point apparent and I'm not too sure if it was a comic first or not. People pay to see Super Heroics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.