So why isn't Spider-Man viewed as mutant in the comics universe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tactics
You'd think out of all the silly mutant powers, and a man wearing a mask trying to conceal his identity while swinging around on webs projected from his wrists with super strength and agility would be viewed as just another mutant by the populace.

If I saw Spider-man, I'd simply think that he was a mutant who took it to the next level and actually became a full time super-hero and all that yada yada. I mean Spider-man isn't exactly liked, but he isn't always hated like mutants are.

So yeah, I guess you can pass it off as just something that's just the way it is, but I'd think that more people in the comics universe would view him as a mutant and when asked how he isn't a mutant, I probably wouldn't believe his whole 'oh I was bitten by a radioactive spider' story, either.

Has there ever been any incidence in comics where people/other heroes/villains have mistaken Spidey as a mutant?

Shadow_King
Well i just assumed because he was bitten by a radioactive spider the reason why they do not consider him a mutant, but i could be wrong. In House of M did they not think Spiderman was a mutant?

Tactics
Yes I understand that's why he's not declared as a mutant but a mutate, but im talking more about the characters in the universe confusing him as a mutant. I mean wouldnt you? I'd think it'd just be a more popular misconception and even could be a running gag imo... but nope, very rarely is he misidentified as a mutant, but yeah

jinXed by JaNx
it's because he wasn't born as a Mutant. technically, you could say he is a mutant, but not by the X-men definition.

Mindset
Originally posted by Tactics
Yes I understand that's why he's not declared as a mutant but a mutate, but im talking more about the characters in the universe confusing him as a mutant. I mean wouldnt you? I'd think it'd just be a more popular misconception and even could be a running gag imo... but nope, very rarely is he misidentified as a mutant, but yeah They did think he was a mutant for awhile.

Tactics
Really? I believe you butthis interests me, you wouldnt happen to have any scans containing Spidey's reaction would you?

Tactics
and yeah he wasnt born a mutant but like im trying to say look at from the viewpoint of the people in that universe, you have all these super powered mutants running around in their little teams like x-men and x-force and the brotherhood then you have this lone super hero swinging around new york.

IF i didnt know better i'd think he was just another mutant, with some spider-like powers, wouldnt you?

BruceSkywalker
no

H. S. 6
What difference does it make?

Even if some of them do believe he's a mutant, it's not like they'd go out of their way to declare his super-powered status, mutant or otherwise.

Tactics
Doesnt make a difference at all, it would just make sense.

steverules_2
You'd think out of all the silly mutant powers, and a man wearing a mask trying to conceal his identity while swinging around on webs projected from his wrists with super strength and agility would be viewed as just another mutant by the populace.

If I saw Spider-man, I'd simply think that he was a mutant who took it to the next level and actually became a full time super-hero and all that yada yada. I mean Spider-man isn't exactly liked, but he isn't always hated like mutants are.

So yeah, I guess you can pass it off as just something that's just the way it is, but I'd think that more people in the comics universe would view him as a mutant and when asked how he isn't a mutant, I probably wouldn't believe his whole 'oh I was bitten by a radioactive spider' story, either.

Has there ever been any incidence in comics where people/other heroes/villains have mistaken Spidey as a mutant?

In an ult. spiderman arc some thugs mis-took him for a mutant and in the ult. deadpool storyline which was in ult. spiderman he was taken to an island for mojo vision where mutants are taken to be hunted down on TV and he complained about how he shouldn't be there cause he isn't a mutant...there may be other times, I'm sure there are more times he is mistaken for a mutant

Tactics
thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. I just find it kind of interesting is all, doesnt matter if its relevant or makes a difference, its something I find interesting and being on this forum I would think I wouldnt get shit for it.

H. S. 6
thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. I just find it kind of interesting is all, doesnt matter if its relevant or makes a difference, its something I find interesting and being on this forum I would think I wouldnt get shit for it.

I wasn't "giving you shit." I just failed to see the relevance of such a topic.

Doctor-Alvis
The only reason it's not relevant is because the mutant paranoia is confined to X-Men comics. Outside them Spider-man's probably just this goofy little guy who's real strong who wears pajamas, but he's alright.

CATMANEXE
Magneto also mistook him for a mutant when he had the Uni-Power.

anyways, Peter doesnt have an active x-gene, therefore not a mutant.

SpyCspider
too bad in the Marvel universe, only people with an active X-gene can be classified as "mutants." That's pretty basic idiocy of the writers in not knowing what a mutation is. A mutation is simply a change in the genetic code from the norm.

With that definition, anyone with powers in the Marvel universe that has a genetic change should be potentially be a mutant..including the FF. Or Captain America. Or Hulk. Or Ms. Marvel. Etc. I'm sure drinking some superpowered serum or exposing yourself to gamma radiation would f with your genes quite a bit.

The writers probably simply choose not to address real-world basic science so the X-men would seem more special.

But if I were a regular Marvel citizen, ya I'd think any superpowered individual was a mutant. How is being a freak different from being born a freak?

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by SpyCspider
too bad in the Marvel universe, only people with an active X-gene can be classified as "mutants." That's pretty basic idiocy of the writers in not knowing what a mutation is. A mutation is simply a change in the genetic code from the norm.

With that definition, anyone with powers in the Marvel universe that has a genetic change should be potentially be a mutant..including the FF. Or Captain America. Or Hulk. Or Ms. Marvel. Etc. I'm sure drinking some superpowered serum or exposing yourself to gamma radiation would f with your genes quite a bit.

The writers probably simply choose not to address real-world basic science so the X-men would seem more special.

But if I were a regular Marvel citizen, ya I'd think any superpowered individual was a mutant. How is being a freak different from being born a freak?

If they did that then there would be nothing special about being a mutant and there would be no difference between the X-Men and Avengers and such. THere would be no substance or plot to the X-Men struggles for peace or anything.

Mindset

But if I were a regular Marvel citizen, ya I'd think any superpowered individual was a mutant. How is being a freak different from being born a freak? Mutants are naturally evolved from humans.

Mutates, are people who received their powers through other means. They undergo a genetic mutation, but they are not mutants.

So basically, one is natural, one isn't.

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Mindset
Mutants are naturally evolved from humans.

Mutates, are people who received their powers through other means. They undergo a genetic mutation, but they are not mutants.

So basically, one is natural, one isn't.

I hope you're going by Marvel's definition wink

SpyCspider
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
If they did that then there would be nothing special about being a mutant and there would be no difference between the X-Men and Avengers and such. THere would be no substance or plot to the X-Men struggles for peace or anything.

Exactly. That's why I understand Tactic's curiosity with the whole thing. There should be no reason why any normal Marvel human should fear the X-men for being different but think Ms. Marvel or the FF are ok. They're all "freaks."

Mindset
I hope you're going by Marvel's definition wink No. Shit.

Mindset
Exactly. That's why I understand Tactic's curiosity with the whole thing. There should be no reason why any normal Marvel human should fear the X-men for being different but think Ms. Marvel or the FF are ok. They're all "freaks." FF and Ms. Marvel are not a result of evolution, they will not replace humans.

SpyCspider
No. Shit.

calm down, homeslice.

SpyCspider
FF and Ms. Marvel are not a result of evolution, they will not replace humans.

uh...except Franklin Richards's powers were influenced by his parents' radiated genes too. So in essence, so can Ms. Marvel and Spider-man's kids. There goes that theory. eek!

Mindset
except Franklin Richards's powers were influenced by his parents' radiated genes too. So in essence, so can Ms. Marvel and Spider-man's kids. eek! He was born a mutant.

He has the X-gene, they could have been two regular humans and he could have been born a mutant.

Mindset
calm down, homeslice. I'm nothing but calm.

Doctor-Alvis
He was born a mutant.

He has the X-gene, they could have been two regular humans and he could have been born a mutant.
I believe it's been mentioned Reed and Sue's cosmic radiated DNA having an influence on him as well. He's got both of'em going on for him.

FF and Ms. Marvel are not a result of evolution, they will not replace humans.
Isn't part of the issue that these normal looking people are essentially walking weapons?

I guess that's what the whole Civil War thing was about, the X-Men paranoia escaping its book.

jdea
I've always wondered if mutant prejudices affected other Marvel superheroes in the comics???

I mean not all of the heroes have revealed the origins of their powers like FF, so what does humanity (Marvel-verse) think of these super-powered avengers

demarius_b
In the 'Day's of Future Past' the Sentinels do not distinguish between between mutants, and mutated humans with super-powers! They're all considered a threat.

Evil SeeD
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
no

laughing laughing laughing

Tactics
Time to be revived after years of laying dormant!

choas345
It is debatable, mainly because of 2 reasons:

1) He could have got his powers from the radioactive spider-bit, or

2) When he was bitten by the spider it activiated his mutant gene.

I find that option 2 will be the most likey. Mainly because do any of you remember the bomb "the neogenic bomb" that affected everything in its radius that were altered by neogenics. It affected the Lizard and his supposed "children" causing them to return to normal. So if spidey got his powers from the spider bite, he would have returned to normal. But he instead he was unaffected.

Which is why I think its possible that he might be a mutant.

Also in the comics, its stated that he has a healing facter similar to Wolverines though not as fast. Plus if spidey was bit by a vampire, he would have turned to normal not long afterwards.

BlackZero30x
I see his point actually. If I lived in a world where mutants like the X-Men existed and it was something that was common knowledge......then I would probably think most people with superpowers were mutants as imo that would be a reasonable thought. Its not like we would know how spiderman got his powers so it would be a more widely accepted theory for him to be a mutant I think.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.