If the Bank accidently gave you 10 Million $

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

jaden101
I think the bank deserves all it gets for making stupid blunders like that.

They're happy enough to hammer you with fees when you make a "blunder" so **** 'em. I say this couple did the right thing.

Mindship
I'd inform them of their mistake and give it back...though the option of gambling it all (or at least some) and hoping for a bigger win, so I could give the 10 mil back and keep the rest (or at least my winnings)...? Intriguing. If I had Boy-Kirk testes I'd give that a shot.

KidRock
Inform them of it and give it back, there must be something illegal about spending it or keeping it.

But the gambling thing does sound hilarious.

"10,000,000...ALL ON BLACK! Let it ride baby!"

FistOfThe North
Had I been dirt poor I'd'a withdrawn it all and said good bye to the world for about 5 years when the heat dies down.

I'd live in seclusion for that long and live somewhere in like rural Mongolia. I'd get a completely new identity. From a name change to getting plastic surgery to rearranging my vocal cords and all that.

And even when i come out i'd still be quiet about it. And if anybody notices anything i'd lie and say i won it in Vegas and just leave it at that. And if anyone starts to get a little too curious i'd disappear from that region and move to another part of the planet like southern Argentina by the mountains and live a completely selfish and hedonistic life till the day i die. But before that I'd donate any remaining cash to the closest poorest village there, then i'd take my leave of this world sometime in the 2050's or 60's.

But that's just me.

inimalist
it is 100% illegal to take the money, even on bank error

so I'd give it back

if it was $10, or maybe even $100, I'd keep it and keep mum, but 10 mil, like the article said, they have interpol on them now.

Grinning Goku
I'd give it back.

leonheartmm
buy a LOT of superglue with part of it. use the superglue to create a 30 foot penis out of the rest of the money, lease a tank and with it as the base, ram the penis in the bank buildings upper floor, effectively penetrating it.

leave it there for the news reporters to report....................

Ushgarak
Before getting into the ethics of it, keeping it is pretty stupid as the amouint of hassle involved in evading authorities to keep the money makes the money not worth it.

Ethically, of course, it is totally wrong, and if you justify it with "it's a bank" then you've gone past the moral event horizon. Stealing is stealing regardless of the victim.

And in any case, of course, the bank will just recoup any losses with various ways of getting monwy from customers, be that higher rates on loans or lower rates on savings. So in fact you just hurt everyone else by such things.

Not a matter of millions of course, but I was overpaid by a factor of 10 once by my local council (who managed to add an extra zero onto the number of hours I had worked that month, which would have made it phsycially impossible to do). What's worse is that it seems they would never have noticed a damn thing if I hadn't told them. Some thanks would have been nice but oh well.

leonheartmm
^dicks, nest time, keep the money

Bicnarok
Wow a lot of sensible people here. smile

The Scribe
I'd just give it back and hope for a nice reward.

All governments love money much more than your life.
They see it as the highest of crimes.

It would be easier to commit murder and either evade the police or get a light sentence than to take money.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by The Scribe

It would be easier to commit murder and either evade the police or get a light sentence than to take money.

Yes, but not due to them looking harder. Truth is if you killed a guy and tried to sell his body to various people you'd have just as much trouble avoiding the law.

leonheartmm
alternately, id hire an army of hookers, gay/straight/transvestive, then hire huge trucks, and drive em to texas, and let em loose!

Symmetric Chaos
I'd convert it all into pennies, then give it back.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I'd convert it all into pennies, then give it back. laughing

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by jaden101
I think the bank deserves all it gets for making stupid blunders like that.

They're happy enough to hammer you with fees when you make a "blunder" so **** 'em. I say this couple did the right thing.

I'd like to agree with you, but as others have said it's illegal and probably highly unlikely that you'd get away with it indefinitly in this day and age.

Having said that, there should be laws limiting bank fees and they should lend money at their own risk.

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by The Scribe

Sadly, you are correct.

siriuswriter
a bank in the us with ten million?

jinXed by JaNx
i wouldn't want to go to prison, so, i'd give the money back. I'm sure the bank would hook you up with a minor reward.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Before getting into the ethics of it, keeping it is pretty stupid as the amouint of hassle involved in evading authorities to keep the money makes the money not worth it.

Ethically, of course, it is totally wrong, and if you justify it with "it's a bank" then you've gone past the moral event horizon. Stealing is stealing regardless of the victim.

And in any case, of course, the bank will just recoup any losses with various ways of getting monwy from customers, be that higher rates on loans or lower rates on savings. So in fact you just hurt everyone else by such things.

Not a matter of millions of course, but I was overpaid by a factor of 10 once by my local council (who managed to add an extra zero onto the number of hours I had worked that month, which would have made it phsycially impossible to do). What's worse is that it seems they would never have noticed a damn thing if I hadn't told them. Some thanks would have been nice but oh well. Man, you suck.

I'd keep it for definate.

Their mistake, not mine.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by inimalist
it is 100% illegal to take the money, even on bank error

so I'd give it back

if it was $10, or maybe even $100, I'd keep it and keep mum, but 10 mil, like the article said, they have interpol on them now. Same. I wonder if they would reward them for being honest and turning it in.

Wild Shadow
i would keep it and go to the bank and ask to get untraceable bonds/ money orders and other forms of paper work that can be easily exchanged in other banks.

Rogue Jedi
Paper trail, dude.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
i would keep it and go to the bank and ask to get untraceable bonds/ money orders and other forms of paper work that can be easily exchanged in other banks.

I suppose if were all as stupid as the person who gave you the $10M that just might work.

inimalist
Originally posted by lord xyz
Man, you suck.

I'd keep it for definate.

Their mistake, not mine.

then you would go to jail

its not a question of fault, but a question of legality, as in, it is 100% illegal, and unless you have some fairly serious connections in black market finance, I can't imagine you would be able to launder 10m

and even if you got away, you would be running for the rest of your life. Sure, you could go to Burma or Mongolia, but then you face the problem of being in either Burma or Mongolia.

It would honestly be easier to rob a bank of 10m then to take it when they make the error.

dadudemon
Here's what I'd do.

I'd give it all back and ask for a really really sweet home loan deal. I'd ask for like...2% APR or the first 5 years is interest free, or something. That would not only give them their money back, but it would also make them money in the long run. It's a win-win for anyone with foresight. I would, of course, publicize it to sweeten the deal for the bank. (Getting them some screen time (increase their name recognition) and praise for being so nice to the honest guy."wink

inimalist
lol

the bank is not obligated to reward you for not breaking the law

its stupid and they have obviously used their influence to be legally covered for their own mistakes, but I honestly don't believe they'd reward you. They might say thanks.

Mindset
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i wouldn't want to go to prison, so, i'd give the money back. I'm sure the bank would hook you up with a minor reward. pussy

Rogue Jedi
lol

its stupid and they have obviously used their influence to be legally covered for their own mistakes, but I honestly don't believe they'd reward you. They might say thanks. I'm sure he'd at least get a free toaster.

dadudemon
lol

its stupid and they have obviously used their influence to be legally covered for their own mistakes, but I honestly don't believe they'd reward you. They might say thanks.

It should be obvious that any person is not obligated to "reward" upon the return of rightfully owned items. There is the obligation via societal norms that usually results in a reward of sorts.

I've read at least one story in which a person was rewarded for returning money to the bank. It was that story of an armored truck losing money or something. He got a reward for returning the money. There's probably dozens of stories like that out there.

Stands to reason that my "reward" is more likely to be given (even if it is not at like at 2% fixed apr or something) because it is actually giving the bank more money than it had before...long term.

Ushgarak
They often do in the case of robbery or otherwise completely unrecoverable cash, normally by offering one in advance, but an admin error (with no paper money involved) is different and ASKING for a reward changes the situation entirely. There's going to be no societal norm on that one.

Lord xyz's attitude is a depressingly selfish one. It is not your money. There is nothing magical about it being in your account that suddenly makes it yours. It is their mistake that they put it in your account but it is very much NOT their mistake that you noticed that and in full knowledge that you had no right to it started to spend it. That is simple theft.

If someone parked their car in your driveway in error, you have the right to be pissed off at them about it, but not the right to take the car as your own.

dadudemon
They often do in the case of robbery or otherwise completely unrecoverable cash, normally by offering one in advance, but an admin error (with no paper money involved) is different and ASKING for a reward changes the situation entirely. There's going to be no societal norm on that one.

Based on what? Google "money returned to bank" and you'll get several examples. Maybe not the exact situation in this scenario.

And, "asking" for a reward is not really what will occur. Refusing a reward and instead "asking" for the alternative I present is certainly a viable option. There will and is a societal norm for rewarding things exactly of that nature. Maybe the British wouldn't, but I cannot conceive of a bank NOT providing some type of reward. A bank certainly gave that guy money for returning money...so why wouldn't they do the same if someone went out of their way, just he same, to alert a bank manager/owner of an error like that when the person can totally screw them over? Also, though uncouth, asking for the "reward" I suggest may be very doable at a smaller bank. smile

If someone parked their car in your driveway in error, you have the right to be pissed off at them about it, but not the right to take the car as your own.

Odd that in some US states, you have the right to kill them, though.

Ushgarak
You'll find plenty of examples where they do not. There's no obligation via society or otherwise. Uncouth is the word, yes... the point is that giving it back is the right thing to do, and that alone is the reason to do it, not to gain advantage for yourself. If they then offer a reward then that is hunky-dory, but going in actively trying to create a reward for yourself is the wrong reason to do it.

Mindset

If someone parked their car in your driveway in error, you have the right to be pissed off at them about it, but not the right to take the car as your own. Depends on how long it's there. wink

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Mindset
Depends on how long it's there. wink Agreed. At the very least I'd slash their tires.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Odd that in some US states, you have the right to kill them, though.

What?

Bicnarok
Well seeing as the banks can make money out of nothing, that is loan a lot more out than they actually have. And that they are being bailed out by tax payers money, OUR MONEY.

I'd friggin well do a runner, have a real time of my life adventure and if I got caught and went to jail, which would'nt be long after all it wasn't an armed robbery or anything like that, in Jail I'd write a book about the escaped and make money out of that, plus the media coverage of the whole event might make me a celebrity, so I could appear on daft talk shows and stupid reality shows for money as well.

I'd have a well good time, and a bit of being chased by the cops even though I'm not dangerous in their eyes so they aint gonna shoot me are they, would be an adventure, my military training would come in handy for sure.

Certainly would be more exciting that doing the same sort of crap payed job for the rest of my life.

Quark_666
looks like I'm the only one who put "other" so far. For me...refer to Heath Ledger's joker. Maybe I'd try thinking of something original but if not...hey, way to have fun!

dadudemon
What?

In Texas, you can shoot trespassers. wink

Symmetric Chaos
Only if they're on your property no expression

Quark_666
Only if they're on your property no expression hey you...yeah you! stand right there...yeah a little to the left...BANG! There we go...teach you to make a fool outa me.

leonheartmm
^that actually happened with a friend of mine. hes still alive though, and it was alabama.

Mr. Rhythmic
I inform the bank and hand back the money.

Rogue Jedi
In Texas, you can shoot trespassers. wink In the back even, as they are running away.

Shakyamunison
I would hold on to the money and not tell anyone. If the bank asked for it back, I would give it back, but in the mean time, I would draw interest.

chomperx9

GCG
Ouch ; I'd hate to be that clerk held accountable for that error. then again that employee could have been in cahoots with the couple.

How do you go from 10,000 to 10,000,000?

dadudemon
Originally posted by GCG
Ouch ; I'd hate to be that clerk held accountable for that error. then again that employee could have been in cahoots with the couple.

How do you go from 10,000 to 10,000,000?

Some "banking" or "accounting" keyboards have double 0 (00) near 0.

CATMANEXE
theyd never see me again.
location? wont say for the 1% chance it ever happens.

inimalist
Originally posted by chomperx9
open up an account in another country right yourself a check from the account you have here and deposit it in the foreign account and they cant touch it.

Interpol can freeze your international assets.

lord xyz
then you would go to jail

its not a question of fault, but a question of legality, as in, it is 100% illegal, and unless you have some fairly serious connections in black market finance, I can't imagine you would be able to launder 10m

and even if you got away, you would be running for the rest of your life. Sure, you could go to Burma or Mongolia, but then you face the problem of being in either Burma or Mongolia.

It would honestly be easier to rob a bank of 10m then to take it when they make the error. I understand the consequences, but if they catch me, I'll easily comply.

No point in fighting an already lost battle.

However, the chance they don't catch me, great! My winnings.

Wild Shadow
last i checked i'm not sure but i think you can exchange your money for untraceable bonds, like gold or silver certificates no way ppl can trace that and make your gold certificates worthless. the only problem is if you lose them your screwed since anybody can exchange them for cash or gold.

Symmetric Chaos
last i checked i'm not sure but i think you can exchange your money for untraceable bonds, like gold or silver certificates no way ppl can trace that and make your gold certificates worthless. the only problem is if you lose them your screwed since anybody can exchange them for cash or gold.

Unless you happen to just know a guy who has $10 million in gold and silver he'd be willing to trade for illegal money I doubt that would work.

Wild Shadow
ppl do it all the time you get the certificates at the bank.

Bicnarok

inimalist

Symmetric Chaos
ppl do it all the time you get the certificates at the bank.

Yeah . . . at a bank . . . seeing the problem yet?

dadudemon
Yeah . . . at a bank . . . seeing the problem yet?

You don't like Jews?

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I would hold on to the money and not tell anyone. If the bank asked for it back, I would give it back, but in the mean time, I would draw interest.

DAMMIT, you beat me to it. That was my idea also. Put it in other banks right alway to get the interest. And then give them financial experts the $$ back when they come knocking.

Rain Dog
It's all well and good saying that I'd give it back now, but if it were to actually happen - I'd almost definitely do one with the money.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Rain Dog
It's all well and good saying that I'd give it back now, but if it were to actually happen - I'd almost definitely do one with the money.

i would turn into smeakle my precious!! evil face

dadudemon
i would turn into smeakle my precious!! evil face

I finally get what you were trying to say.

You're trying to be like Smeagol. It would help if you used capitalized letters.

(And by "finally" I mean it took 3 seconds.)

Wild Shadow
I finally get what you were trying to say.

You're trying to be like Smeagol. It would help if you used capitalized letters.

(And by "finally" I mean it took 3 seconds.)

okay sorry my bad.. okay i would pull a Cartman: "its mine"!!!!

mad

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Mindship
I'd inform them of their mistake and give it back...though the option of gambling it all (or at least some) and hoping for a bigger win, so I could give the 10 mil back and keep the rest (or at least my winnings)...? Intriguing. If I had Boy-Kirk testes I'd give that a shot. You could keep it and think of it as an act of god in your favor. eek!

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Deja~vu
You could keep it and think of it as an act of god in your favor. eek!

hey it works for a lot of rich ppl as being a blessing and rap artist.

dadudemon
Okay, here's what I'd do.

If the bank accidentally gave me $10,000,000, I would use that money to redo all of the Dragonball Z story to eliminate almost all plot holes and PIS. I would have to overhaul many places and extent of powers.

Mandrag Ganon
I'd inform them of the mistake and give the money back. It's not my money, I have no right to keep it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.