Best/Worst Dragonball Z Movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr. Rhythmic
I'm not a fan of the show "Dragonball Z", but I love the feature films. So, which are your favorite and least favorites of the franchise?

I'm not so good at this, so I decided to merely rate each film.

Dead Zone: The first Z movie, and one of the more intense ones. Great hand to hand fight scenes, but the villains aren't very impressive. Piccolo is always a treat as well. 4/5

The World's Strongest: I love this movie. Nothing but crazy fun. My only issue is the ending is a bit slow. But Dr. Wheelo is a great villain, and there's nothing but mind blasting fun here. 4.5/5

The Tree Of Might: One of the best films in the series. What seems like a crappy, unoriginal filler feature is actually one hell of an action flick. I'm amazed at how badass Turles is, not to mention how well formed the plot is. I'm impressed. 5/5

Bardock: The Father Of Goku: Hell to the yes. I loved the crap out of this. Violence, violence, and more violence, only to end in a tragic way. Very short, but only as long as it needed to be. Not much else can be said about this movie other than 'badass'. 4.5/5

Lord Slug: Another one of my personal favorites. I mean, from a planet almost hitting earth to a guy who makes King Piccolo look like a wuss. Nothing but pure insanity. And I love every minute of it. I'm fighting my rating for this one between 4.5 and 5(mostly because of some hokey parts), but I'll give in to my urge. 5/5

Cooler's Revenge: This was the series' winning streak. Cooler was an awesome baddie, there was great music in the back round, and the characters are at their best. 4.5/5

Return Of Cooler: Great sequel. Some good dialogue, action, and plot. I almost pissed myself after seeing the army of Meta Coolers, and it's always great to see a cool nemesis return(no pun intended). 4/5

Super Android 13!: Haven't seen it.

Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan: Broly is easily one of the most popular villains of the Dragonball franchise, and his first movie is one of the most well known. However, I was not impressed. As far as villains go, he was just ok. I mean, I understand that he was pure evil and all, but he didn't do anything we haven't seen before. I also felt like the animation went down a notch from "Return Of Cooler", as did the plot. Still, it wasn't bad, and I did get some good thrills out of it. Still, it's very overrated. I don't know, though. Maybe I should try watching it again and re-review it. One of my biggest problems with the movie is that it builds up an hour of mystery, and yet the answer is in the film's title. 2.5/5

Bojack Unbound: Never saw it.

Broly: The Second Coming: This is where the lack of quality in the DBZ movies can be perfectly seen. At least the first "Broly" movie tried. This one? Not only rushed, but it focuses on two of my least favorite characters - Goten and Trunks. I also lost that feeling of fear when Broly showed up. 2/5

Bio-Broly: This wasn't terrible like everyone says, but it wasn't good either. I was somewhat entertained, up until Broly appeared. And the climax felt so pointless after the twist. I mean, why go through all of the trouble then? And what was with the giant Broly? That was pretty lame. 2.5/5

Fusion Reborn: The worst one I've seen. There is absolutely no redeeming quality here. Period. Nothing was interesting, nothing was funny, and the entire plot was moronic. I never even want to be reminded of this movie ever again. 1/5

Wrath Of The Dragon: Not bad, but not great. It had its moments, and while the Hirudegarn looked cool, I didn't understand why he was so hard to beat. He was large. So? They've blown up planets! And besides the Trunk/Tapion relationship(not to mention the beautiful animation), I wasn't blown away. The sword nod at the end was really cool, though. 3/5

NemeBro
Worst: Dragonball: Evolution.

/thread

Mindset
Tree of might is the best

First_Tsurugi06
The first Broly movie and Wrath of the Dragon are pretty easily the best. They shared their only flaw in forcing Goku to deal the victory blow despite the movies clearly being more emphasized with a different Z fighter (i.e., Vegeta would've been a better plot-based choice to finish off Broly given how it was all built up, and Goku was an otherwise almost completely disregardable character in Wrath of the Dragon).

The first three or so DBZ movies were all pretty okay. But like my two favorites, they just went with the "Goku beating the villain" jazz (except for Dead Zone), though I will say that it felt much more justifiable because he was prett much the strongest one during these films.

-Fusion Reborn was pretty anti-climactic. The whole thing with warpiong the Otherworld made it look like some sort of stoner comedy mixed with a filler episode that you would think fit better with the Naruto Filler Arcs. With the only point in watching the flick being to witness Gogeta's birth, he was only there for two minutes. The best two minutes of the film, no less.

-Lord Slug was proper crap, and introduced a crappier weakness to an alien race whose only exception to their generally overall crap rule is Piccolo. It fit my category of the DBZ films' "I can't belive I thought this was cool the first time" flick. Making the main bad buy a Namekian was total throwaway excuse of an idea, and I felt the only admirable plot-point was utilizing the whole Namekian weakness to whistling that was shown earlier, but even then, it didn't last.

-Bio-Broly is pretty heavily agreed upon as being the worst, and I'm not about to defend it just because it involved Broly (or, rather, that tragically made horror-flick monster wannabe excuse for Broly).

-The Cooler movies were a decent attempt at broadening Freeza's family, but I felt the second one undermined the supporting cast.

-Broly: Second coming wasn't bad, I just think the first half had way too much emphasis on the kids and only picked up when Gohan arrived. I'd imagine it being stronger plotwise if Gohan were there from the start. I also like how they dealt with finishing Broly off; a good change of pace as opposed to just having Goku use the Spirit Bomb like he did with almost a fourth of the movies.

-Bojack Unbound, I happened to like. It was the DBZ movie which I wanted to see all the villains get slaughtered ruthlessly after riding their high-horses the whole time, and who better to do that than the no-bullsh*t SSJ2 Gohan? The way they had portrayed him in the series made it seem like he'd be able to take even the characters factually more powerful than him.

Granted though, the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA was better than all of them.

Quincy
Originally posted by NemeBro
Worst: Dragonball: Evolution.

/thread

This one cigar

As for the Best:

The First Broly, Tree of Might, History of Trunks.

Csdabest
Tree of Might, History of Trunks, Bojack Unbound, And the Bardock story, first broly

psycho gundam
bardock was the best, it actually had a story

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Indeed. Action-wise though, I liked the two Cooler movies the best.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by psycho gundam

A few of the movies had good stories.

Mr. Rhythmic
Saw "Super Android 13". Very mediocre. Didn't feel epic or original to me. Some of the action was good, but nothing new. 2/5

NemeBro
I think Bardock: Father of Goku was the best personally.

King Kandy
Bardock was the best because it was more than just fighting.

Quincy
Originally posted by King Kandy
Bardock was the best because it was more than just fighting.

History of Trunks was more than just fighting. Plus the fights were better.

Ridley_Prime
The Father of Goku still had the best story though, and Bardock had a lot more character in the end than whiny Trunks.

Endless Mike
Dead zone, World's Strongest, and Tree of Might are good.

Not a very big fan of Lord Slug.

Cooler's revenge really doesn't do anything much for me either, but Return of Cooler is decent.

Super Android 13 frankly bores me.

The first two Brolly movies are loads of fun, but their plots have more holes than swiss cheese.

Bojack is funny, mostly due to Mr. Satan's antics

Bio-Brolly sucks

Fusion Reborn and Wrath of the Dragon are good.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Bojack is funny, mostly due to Mr. Satan's antics
Co-signed. hysterical

King Kandy
Originally posted by Quincy
History of Trunks was more than just fighting. Plus the fights were better.
I never saw history of trunks.

Also in Bardock the characters were much more reasonably powered. Nobody cept Frieza could bust a planet yet.

NemeBro
Plus Bardock is a GAR god.

Endless Mike
I don't really count the TV specials as movies. More like bonus episodes

Quincy
I like both. Bardock is a badass.

BruceSkywalker
I've liked them all, but Tree of Might is the best

danteiscool
the first two movies with Broly were awesome (although second coming did suck at some points) and so is Bardock movie. the Dead Zone, World's Strongest, and Tree of Might are also equally awesome.

Ridley_Prime
All of the Broly movies sucked for the most part IMO.

Quincy
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
All of the Broly movies sucked for the most part IMO.

How could you not like the First Broly Movie?

Ridley_Prime
I was disappointed at what happened to Paragus. Thought he had potential to be a good villain in some future movie or somethin', who unlike his son, actually had personality, but alas. We didn't even get to see him fight. Waste of a Saiyan there...

The first Broly movie pretty much went downhill for me after that part.

Kento
Best - Bardock
Worse - Android 13 movie or Lord Slug movie.

Endless Mike
Android 13 had some good moments. Like the dialogue between Trunks and the androids

Ridley_Prime
Indeed.

"Don't lecture me with your thirty dollar haircut. Goku dies!" - 13
haermm

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Quincy
How could you not like the First Broly Movie?

It's really not that hard.

Saw it again today, though. Much better than what I first thought, but still not amazing. Broly's a cool character, but there were nothing but plot holes and animation errors all over the movie. Still, solid plot and good action. I up my grade from a 2.5 to a 3.5/5.

Mr. Rhythmic
Android 13 had some good moments. Like the dialogue between Trunks and the androids

Android 13 was a cool villain, but he felt too non-threatening. And turning big and blue didn't help that.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Kento
Best - Bardock
Worse - Android 13 movie or Lord Slug movie.

I have to ask: What's with all of the "Lord Slug" hate? I thought it was awesome.

Ridley_Prime
That's what I thought too. mmm

Wei Phoenix

Indeed 13 is the only one with the knowledge of how to easily defeat a SSJ with one blow.

ywrqivujYlo

Destroyed Vegeta's back too.

Kris Blaze
Surprisingly, there was a LOT of decent Dragonball Z movies.

1 - History of Bardock.
Easily the best one in my mind. Not just because the movie's quality and plot seems to be vastly superior to the others, but also because of its importance to the DBZ verse. This is Goku's creation and one of Frieza's greatest crimes.

2 - History of Trunks/ Super Android 13
Once again, the history of trunks was of immense importance to the DBZ verse. It was very interesting the witness the future where the androids defeated Goku and so on. Android 13 had a relatively predictable plot, but the characters in it were descent. Android 13 was especially well crafted, in my opinion.

3 - Tree of might
Turles - 'nuff said.

4 - First Broly movie
They wasted a decent villain here, Broly's father. His death proves that in the DBZ verse, brains counts for nothing as far as villains go. Regardless, Broly was fun the first time around. In the end however they cheaped out and let Goku defeat him in what should've been a collective effort.

5 - Fusion Reborn
I actually liked Janemba as a villain, being pure hate, evil and chaos. What I didn't like as much was the whole earth sideplot. Always great to see Pikkon!

First_Tsurugi06
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I have to ask: What's with all of the "Lord Slug" hate? I thought it was awesome.

That's the thing, I used to think so too until I watched it a second time, where I realized it was probably my vote for second or third worst. The main piece of appeal that was so often commercialized turned out to last even shorter in the movie than Gogeta in Fusion Reborn, with even LESS mention in the actual story. It gave a really dumb plot-based weakness to the namekians, The villain sucked (the best movie villains are Cooler, Broly, and Garlic Jr. bar none) and was one of too many at the time to go out with the most PIS attack in the series. Broly may have been finished off in the first movie in a similar fashion, but at least he had a second flick where he was defeated in one of my favorite villain death scenes. Most of the better movies are the ones that DON'T involve Goku using the Spirit Bomb or something similar, because they actually have a good start instead of winging it with a rushed-out "meteor coming to destroy earth" jazz, and don't even have it raze the surface.

As for Paragus, I never saw the appeal in him. He was in the same league of importance as that short wizard from Wrath of the Dragon (to give the main villain some sort of background, but that's really not that necessary for something like Dragonball Z), just less of a dipsh*t, and died in an almost equally pathetic way.

BradBalboa
Dead Zone - I love because it more "Dragonball" than "DBZ"" showing that Kami wasnt the only one wanting the position of Earths god i liked, adds more complexity to the Kami/ Piccolo background, Piccolo/Goku vs Garlic jr fight starts out good but then the animation goes downt he drain which brings it down.

Worlds Strongest - Yeahh pretty cool, a scientists as the villian, different for DBZ atleast

Tree of might - Turles being the real star of this movie, was cool seeing goku fight a saiyan that mirrors who he could have become.

Lord Slug - Plot erm.KIng Piccolo much, fight scenes pretty cool, especially like when goku hits slug then slug slaps him through a window, Piccolo is pretty badass in this movie but is beaten wayy to easy.

Cooler Revenge - Frieza had a brother, who knew!? Considering the Epic scale of frieza and gokus fight cooler and gokus battle is a little weak, but it has some cool elements and coolers 5th form looks awesome

Return of cooler - animation and colouring is lacking, plot is ok, and so is the fight scene, nothing really special here. Kirllin adds soem comic relief as he does =D

Bardock - great movie, frieza destroying the planet vegeta seems to b the pinicle point in DBZ history how it happened and why is shown here in great style

Super android 13 - android 13 is cool super 13 is the most brutal villain iv seen in dbz, hitting goku in the ....uno loved it, ok move at the end of the day......

BradBalboa
History of Trunks - a personal let down, i expected trunks tme to be a much darker place but ti wasnt, the rap music wasnt apreciated either, mehh..

Bojack Unbound - first dbz movie i ever seen, animation is great throughout, good amount of blood. Bojacks backstory i liked altough not much detail is given then again this is DBZ, overall a decent anime movie

Broly - the daddy of them all, the longest dbz movie, altough animation goes back and fourth, the last 25mins or so are excellent, gokus struggle against the legendary super saiyan is one for the history books, brillaint movie

Broly second comming - big let down, but the more i watche dit the more i liked it, still not a big fan of it, i mean broy nearly gettign kiled by larva, videl surviving fighting him broly actually getting killed by being blasted through the sun, they didnt give the legendary super saiyan enough credit here, animation is great though

Bio-Broly - here Broly really just becomes a side enemy for goten and trunks, animation i sgood but thats about all this ove has going for it, avoid this one!!

Fusion Reborn - hmmm pretty cool altough it could have been longer as janemba is very cool, overall this was a good movie but it could ahve been sooo much better!!

Wrath of the Dragon - Great movie, long, great animation funny and great fight scenes this move fails to disspoint, one of the few DBZ gems!!

Plan to destroy the saiyans - if counted as a movie it is pretty cool, anmation can be lacking but most hardcore DBZ fans should see this!

Y

BradBalboa
YO! SOn goku and his friends return - very enjoyablee, altough character strength is debatable in this one, once again a blast from the past with remnats from friezas army heading to earth, overal a good moive, nothing too serious just a reminder of how much we all loved DBZ!!

and last AND deffinately LEAST!!!....

Dragonball ...Evolution... 2 words describe this moive.. EPIC FAIL !!!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! EVEN bio broy puts this garbage to shame pfft!!!

Kento
I have to ask: What's with all of the "Lord Slug" hate? I thought it was awesome. Eh I didn't like most of the DB movies to be honest. And Lord Slug just seemed like it was all done before.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
The villain sucked
How did Slug suck exactly compared to the other movie villains, like say Turles?

As for Paragus, I never saw the appeal in him. He was in the same league of importance as that short wizard from Wrath of the Dragon (to give the main villain some sort of background, but that's really not that necessary for something like Dragonball Z), just less of a dipsh*t, and died in an almost equally pathetic way.
Which he shouldn't have since he's Broly's father and all. There must have been something special about Paragus in particular for him to have given birth the to Legendary Super Saiyan. erm

NemeBro
How did Slug suck exactly compared to the other movie villains, like say Turles? Whoa whoa whoa are you implying Slug and Turles are on the same level?

Ridley_Prime
Well, maybe not on Turles's level of coolness, but something along Garlic Jr's level. Either way, I don't see how Slug sucks as a movie villain when it took both Goku and Piccolo's strength combined to beat him. Wasn't one of those guys who Goku beat by himself with the Spirit Bomb or somethin'.

NemeBro
Well, maybe not on Turles's level of coolness, but something along Garlic Jr's level. Either way, I don't see how Slug sucks as a movie villain when it took both Goku and Piccolo's strength combined to beat him. Wasn't one of those guys who Goku beat by himself with the Spirit Bomb or somethin'. Sir, if power made the villain, then Dark Khan would be fantastic.

First_Tsurugi06
How did Slug suck exactly compared to the other movie villains, like say Turles?

There was no catch to him that made him particularly unique. Turles at least had the resemblance to Goku, Broly was at least a Saiyan made to contrast with the fact that the heroes were all saiyans. Broly alos had some of the better lines in his movies amongst the villains(even his only spoken one aside from "Kakarot!" in the second one). What did Lord Slug have? "Peek-a-boo!"? Garlic Jr. was the only one who got his wish for immortality (not "eternal youth"wink, the list goes on. That said, I don't much care for Turles in particular either.

That's your own fault for thinking so far into it. If that were the case there must ahve been something about Bardock that made him give birth to the Saiyan supposedley destined to become the earth's savior, the one to defeat Freeza (the first time around), etc. Nope.

Wei Phoenix
There was no catch to him that made him particularly unique. Turles at least had the resemblance to Goku, Broly was at least a Saiyan made to contrast with the fact that the heroes were all saiyans. Broly alos had some of the better lines in his movies amongst the villains(even his only spoken one aside from "Kakarot!" in the second one). What did Lord Slug have? "Peek-a-boo!"? Garlic Jr. was the only one who got his wish for immortality (not "eternal youth"wink, the list goes on. That said, I don't much care for Turles in particular either.

That's your own fault for thinking so far into it. If that were the case there must ahve been something about Bardock that made him give birth to the Saiyan supposedley destined to become the earth's savior, the one to defeat Freeza (the first time around), etc. Nope.

I disagree on two points. Broly wasn't made to contrast the fact that all heroes were all saiyans. The saiyans were not a heroic race and Broly was as evil as them.

Also there was nothing special about Goku or Bardock, it wasn't anything special about him or Bardock that made Goku strong, Goku gained strength from training. If he was hypothetically still on Vegeta he would've in no way obtain the power he would have on earth.

Quincy
It wasn't simply Training that made Goku strong.

Ridley_Prime
Sir, if power made the villain, then Dark Khan would be fantastic.
lol Point taken.

I don't even remember Slug's lines or anything now, so I guess I'll take your word for it. Have to disagree though about Broly having some of the better lines amongst the villains. In fact, "Kakorat!" pretty much sums up his personality in a nutshell. no expression

At least Bardock had his own movie, which was arguably the best one as others have already established. He was given the ability to see into the future too, so that counts for something.

Mr. Rhythmic
That's the thing, I used to think so too until I watched it a second time, where I realized it was probably my vote for second or third worst. The main piece of appeal that was so often commercialized turned out to last even shorter in the movie than Gogeta in Fusion Reborn, with even LESS mention in the actual story. It gave a really dumb plot-based weakness to the namekians, The villain sucked (the best movie villains are Cooler, Broly, and Garlic Jr. bar none) and was one of too many at the time to go out with the most PIS attack in the series. Broly may have been finished off in the first movie in a similar fashion, but at least he had a second flick where he was defeated in one of my favorite villain death scenes. Most of the better movies are the ones that DON'T involve Goku using the Spirit Bomb or something similar, because they actually have a good start instead of winging it with a rushed-out "meteor coming to destroy earth" jazz, and don't even have it raze the surface.

The whistling thing was a little off, but I still thought it worked(considering Slug's "100 times worse" thing), Slug was an amazing villain(I don't understand how he isn't one), the fight scenes were amazing, the planet hitting earth thing was a great way to begin a movie to show that these events are serious, and I personally thought that the plot was alright.

Mr. Rhythmic
Whoa whoa whoa are you implying Slug and Turles are on the same level?

Turles was awesome, but you forced me to do this.

Lord Slug = King Piccolo

Turles = Raditz

Personally, while they both rule, I somewhat like Lord Slug more. Not by much, but still.

And I have a large question: In "Tree Of Might", what was with the ending? Goku goes for a fruit, only for him to randomly already have a Spirit Bomb without eating anything.

First_Tsurugi06
I don't even remember Slug's lines or anything now, so I guess I'll take your word for it. Have to disagree though about Broly having some of the better lines amongst the villains. In fact, "Kakorat!" pretty much sums up his personality in a nutshell. no expression

Whoever KakOrAt is, I'll be sure to look into that. If you want things that "sum up" Broly, try quotes like:

"Is that another word for coffin?"
"Please, do your best to make me kneel before you!"
"You are all talk and no action; a true piece of trash!"
"Not until you lie dead at my feet...!"

That's why Bardock is awesome. They elaborated on him, giving him probably one of the deeper plots in any form of the DBZ continuity, but in the way that was associated with the main continuity.

First_Tsurugi06
The whistling thing was a little off, but I still thought it worked(considering Slug's "100 times worse" thing), Slug was an amazing villain(I don't understand how he isn't one), the fight scenes were amazing, the planet hitting earth thing was a great way to begin a movie to show that these events are serious, and I personally thought that the plot was alright.

Slug was short of the paint-by-numbers movie villain made for the sake of giving the Spirit Bomb something to destroy. He was undeveloped, underutilized, and let's face it, it's a stupid-ass name. There wasn't a single fight scene that Tree of Might or Return of Cooler didn't do better. They couldn't even introduce the characters well when it actually came to the meteor coming to the earth. What we got from Lord Slug we got the same thing from Fusion Reborn, a commercialized plot point made into an anti-climactic scene in the actual movie.

Mr. Rhythmic

Really? Screaming "Kakarot" constantly does not a good villain make. You say "Peek-a-boo"(which I though was funny, and considering how badass the situation was, awesome), and yet you don't understand Slug's appeal.
What made Lord Slug so badass wasn't his lines, but his actions. Before and after him, villains beat Goku with ease, fought stalemate, or lost horribly. Lord Slug was the only DBZ villain, to me personally, that fought Goku with absolute class. Other villains(even Cooler and Frieza) fought Goku with either ease or for their lives, but never did it in a sport-like way. Lord Slug was beating down Goku with a smile, an A-class walk, and some fun one-liners. Fighting wasn't a job for Lord Slug, or even a sick pleasure. It was just a way to get what he wants, and decided to do it in the manner best fitting for him: Quick, violent, and dominating.
Hell, right after getting tossed around by FS Goku, he simply laughed, RIPPED OFF HIS OWN ARM, and continued to fight.

Kento
Personally I think Broli's best line happens when Piccolo shows up.

Piccolo - Your a monster
Broli - Monster? I'm a demon.

Or something along those lines. It's been forever. That and I don't think it's said in the English version.

I didn't find Tree of Might that bad..not the best but not the worst.

>.> I liked World's Strongest for some reason.

SpadeKing
I don't know about best but storyline wise for worst I would have to go with Fusion Reborn

not that I hated the movie, just how did it even fit in?
it was Buu saga after vegeta killed himself, goku was already back in the other world & if I remember correctly he went straight for looking for Gohan who was in the supreme kai planet.

So why was gohan on earth then, why was goku in a tournament, where was buu while all that staff was happening, & if broly was dead why didn't he return to the planet?

Quincy
Originally posted by SpadeKing
I don't know about best but storyline wise for worst I would have to go with Fusion Reborn

not that I hated the movie, just how did it even fit in?
it was Buu saga after vegeta killed himself, goku was already back in the other world & if I remember correctly he went straight for looking for Gohan who was in the supreme kai planet.

So why was gohan on earth then, why was goku in a tournament, where was buu while all that staff was happening, & if broly was dead why didn't he return to the planet?

It's the movies bro. Continuity isn't really their thing.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kento
Personally I think Broli's best line happens when Piccolo shows up.

Piccolo - Your a monster
Broli - Monster? I'm a demon.

Or something along those lines. It's been forever. That and I don't think it's said in the English version. Piccolo: "He isn't a Saiyan. He's a monster."

Broly: "Monster? No, YOU'RE wrong! I...Am the Devil!"

Endless Mike

Well for one thing, being defeated by whistling was pretty lame.

Did you perhaps skip the entire Red Ribbon, Android, and Cell sagas?

BTW, has anyone seen the few Dragonball animated movies, or the GT special? Those are the only ones I haven't seen.

I heard that we actually get to see Tsuru-Sennin fighting in one of the Dragonball movies, which is something I would like to watch.

Kento
I seen the GT special..Didn't care much for it though. And I was never big into DB though I did watch the 10th Anniversary thing that has the GT style art. Twas alright imo.

Kazenji
My fav ones

-Dead Zone
-Coolers Revenge
-The Return of cooler
-Super Android 13
-Fusion Reborn

BradBalboa
Piccolo: "He isn't a Saiyan. He's a monster."

Broly: "Monster? No, YOU'RE wrong! I...Am the Devil!"

English Dub

Piccolo - You usually pic on the Children first??..

Broly - I do what needs to be done, what do you expect, from a true freak!!! hahahahahhaa!!

Japanese Dub i think picoclo calls him a monster and broly says he is a devil XD
-

Mr. Rhythmic
Slug was short of the paint-by-numbers movie villain made for the sake of giving the Spirit Bomb something to destroy. He was undeveloped, underutilized, and let's face it, it's a stupid-ass name. There wasn't a single fight scene that Tree of Might or Return of Cooler didn't do better. They couldn't even introduce the characters well when it actually came to the meteor coming to the earth. What we got from Lord Slug we got the same thing from Fusion Reborn, a commercialized plot point made into an anti-climactic scene in the actual movie.

Paint-by-numbers? Not even. He was totally badass, had a great voice, and beasted everyone in the calmest manner imaginable. The planet plot was awesome. The fight between Lord Slug and Goku is one of my favorite fights in any of the movies. The scene where Goku becomes Super Saiyan is so awesome that I stand up and cheer every time I see it.
Commercialized plot point? Hardly.

NemeBro
Originally posted by BradBalboa
English Dub

Piccolo - You usually pic on the Children first??..

Broly - I do what needs to be done, what do you expect, from a true freak!!! hahahahahhaa!!

Japanese Dub i think picoclo calls him a monster and broly says he is a devil XD
- That was a different line, and was in the English dub as well.

Ridley_Prime
Whoever KakOrAt is, I'll be sure to look into that.
Wow. Unnecessary comeback due to a simple misspelling. Am I supposed to be impressed? You know who I was talkin' about regardless though.

"You are all talk and no action; a true piece of trash!"
Okay. That's one good line from Broly I'll admit, but the rest were pretty "meh" IMO.

I am the devil? WTF. Well, it's better than what Broly said to Piccolo in the english dub at least.

Well for one thing, being defeated by whistling was pretty lame.
*shrug* I suppose, but so was the way most of the other movie villains were defeated, except for Broly and Cooler being pushed towards the sun. That was pretty neat compared to the rest.

NemeBro
That is what he said to Piccolo in the English dub. no expression

Ridley_Prime
I thought what Brad quoted was what he said in the english dub.

NemeBro
He said both.

Kris Blaze
Somebody disagree with my choices, so we can fight for 5 hours.

Endless Mike
Goku didn't go SSJ in Movie 4, he went "Giji SSJ" which was like some false half-SSJ BS. SSJ0.5, if you will

First_Tsurugi06
Paint-by-numbers? Not even. He was totally badass, had a great voice, and beasted everyone in the calmest manner imaginable. The planet plot was awesome. The fight between Lord Slug and Goku is one of my favorite fights in any of the movies. The scene where Goku becomes Super Saiyan is so awesome that I stand up and cheer every time I see it.
Commercialized plot point? Hardly.

He beasted everyone in the cockiest manner possible, same along the lines of Bojack and/or Turles. Broly was badass, Cooler was badass, Bardock wasn't even a villain, and he was more badass than some cranky old Namekian geezer chomping on pills. No matter the intention of the concept with the planet, they didn't execute it well at all what with abandoning it in the first tenth of the film, and even moreso gimmicky with how they managed to somehow attain the Dragonballs so soon is beyond me. Goku turning False super saiyan is nothing but wasted potential of what could have been the finishing touch on the villain ala SSJ2 Gohan against Bojack. THAT'S a scene worth standing up and cheering for, not that twenty second beat down that was cast aside like an empty can in favor of the Spirit Bomb.

Geass
The best DBZ Movie would be LSSJ Broly or Fusion Reborn.Worst would have to be Bio-Broly.

BradBalboa
Path to Power, I reccommend. Its a great movie!!

I need to watch the rest of the original DB movies, iv seen sleeping princess in devils castle and i was half way through another one but it hadnt been fully uploaded, seeme ok though. it was the one where tsfuru-sennin fights, or launch shoots at him and he catches the bullets iv seen that clip..

Mr. Rhythmic
He beasted everyone in the cockiest manner possible, same along the lines of Bojack and/or Turles.

No, because both Bojack and Turles were having more bigger trouble than they lead on. They were amazed by their enemy's power, which could be seen in their expressions. Lord Slug, however, had absolutely no trouble until the power fuse.

He's a very mediocre character imo.

Definitely.

What do you mean "even"? Bardock was a ****ing beast. Probably my favorite character in the DBZ franchise.

Cranky old geezer? He killed his top commander with his finger. I consider that awesome.

Yeah, that threw me off a little. Still kinda cool scene, though.

Are you serious? That was awesome. That whole scene demonstrated not only how efficient Slug's army was, but how many there were. Which made it even more awesome when they got their butts kicked.

Except the Bojack thing, coming from a non-DBZ show person, made no sense to me. The FS thing was perfectly fine with me. What made it even more awesome was how after such an insane ass whooping, Slug was back on his feet and ready to play ball.

Mr. Rhythmic
I up "Bardock" from a 4.5/5 to a 5/5, hand "History Of Trunks" a 4/5, and give "Bojack Unbound" a 2/5.

Mr. Rhythmic
Well, I recently saw 5 Dragonball Z films again after a long period of time, and I have some new and similar opinions on them.

Dead Zone: Extremely entertaining, good enemy, and the entire feature plays out like a classic martial arts film. My only complaint is the drunken Gohan scenes, and Kami randomly lighting up. Both parts felt very out of place. And this is nitpicky, but it bothered me when Goku's hair returns immediately after being cut off. But it still has some of the best fights in the Dragonball franchise. Overall, though, it's a 4.5/5.

World's Strongest: Great feature with awesome fights, a solid plot, and strong animation. You can't help but cheer when Goku takes out the two Bio-Warriors. 5/5.

Tree Of Might: It's an alright movie, but it has a lot of flaws. For one, it had a lot of moments where I felt "was that necessary?", and while some of the fights were great, the battle with Turles himself felt lacking. What's worse still is that some of the dubbing felt off from the actual story, along with many of the nature-based moments feeling random. But still, Turles was a pretty good villain, Goku was great as always, and the fighting was pretty solid. 3.5/5.

Lord Slug: I'm sorry to those that disagree, but "Lord Slug" is still one of the best DB movies to me, and possibly one of my favorite things Dragonball. Sure, it has its faults, but it is just so entertaining. The fights are so cool, the music makes you tap your feet (Funimation version, at least), and Goku turning Super Saiyan just made me cheer. 5/5

Bojack Unbound: Wow, I like it even less now. Especially considering that this is supposed to follow up the Cell Saga, this movie is immensely lacking. Bojack is just... there, and the stakes feel unimpressive. 1.5/5

peejayd

First_Tsurugi06
No, because both Bojack and Turles were having more bigger trouble than they lead on. They were amazed by their enemy's power, which could be seen in their expressions. Lord Slug, however, had absolutely no trouble until the power fuse.

No, by the standards of DBZ, he's the best thingto come out fo the series since Cell and SSJ2 Gohan. His fights are some of the few where it's actually fun seeing one character rape five at once for thirty to forty minutes. And unlike Slug, he had a little thing called backstory that actually justified his place in the story; that's more than can be said for ALOT of DBZ villains, especially Slug.

And unlike the biggest focuses of other movies he wasn't "even" a villain; the main protagonist in DBZ has never been more badass than the villains sans SSJ2 Gohan.

Did I say cranky? I meant menstrual. That, and it simply proves my previous point that his lackeys were handled even wworse than the ones in Tree of Might. Hell, Broly even did better there with how he killed his own father, given the fact that it was an actual plot point/twist as opposed to a simplistic venting of ruthlesness.

Rushed, is all that scene, plot point, and entire movie was afaic.

No, it was, as I just stated, rushed. Efficiency doesn't mean jack if the plot can't justify, and the plot of Lord Slug didn't justify a damned thing, they just introduced one thing after another and dropped ten to thirty seconds later before it could even get interesting. Case in point, Goku's semi-super saiyan form. The only other to handle such anything near as badly was Fusion Reborn.

Nah, all that did was further destroy the purpose of what we were expecting to see of what the movie advertised most. That makes for a sh*t marketing gimmick which simply opens the way for subsequent movies to handle such a thing better. Which they did with Bojak Unbound's climax.

Ridley_Prime
And unlike Slug, he had a little thing called backstory that actually justified his place in the story
What, that Broly hated Goku for the fact he made him cry as a baby? Some backstory.

Mr. Rhythmic
No, by the standards of DBZ, he's the best thingto come out fo the series since Cell and SSJ2 Gohan. His fights are some of the few where it's actually fun seeing one character rape five at once for thirty to forty minutes. And unlike Slug, he had a little thing called backstory that actually justified his place in the story; that's more than can be said for ALOT of DBZ villains, especially Slug.

Bojack? His backround sucked. And how do they explain him "A stronger King Piccolo". Slug may be the same, but at least he was entertaining. Bojack just did the same moves villains before him did. Slug's thrashing was something else.

Mr. Rhythmic
What, that Broly hated Goku for the fact he made him cry as a baby? Some backstory.

Exactly. Why do the villains even NEED a backstory? Why can't they just be cool?

And for the record, Medamatcha was AWESOME.

The Butcher
Originally posted by BradBalboa
Path to Power, I reccommend. Its a great movie!!

I need to watch the rest of the original DB movies, iv seen sleeping princess in devils castle and i was half way through another one but it hadnt been fully uploaded, seeme ok though. it was the one where tsfuru-sennin fights, or launch shoots at him and he catches the bullets iv seen that clip.. Path To Power is a fanmade movie right?

Hellspawn28
Either Movie 1, or Movie 13 are my favoirtes. The worst would be Movie 11 since it was a pointless milk in on Broly at the time.

No End N Site
Best - 1st Brolly movie and 1st Cooler movie.
Worst - 3rd Brolly movie/Bio Brolly.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by The Butcher
Path To Power is a fanmade movie right?

Nope.

No End N Site
Oh shit, how could I forget The World Strongest, Tree Of Might and The Dead Zone?! Those come 1st in my book, Cooler's Revenge and the 1st Brolly take a close second. I thought EVERY Dragon Ball movie was hot except the last 2 Brolly movies. They ruined one badass motha phucka!

On a side note, I don't like rock/metal music too much but the soundtrax for the 1st few movies have to be the best soundtrax I have ever heard for an anime movie. It just went so well wit the action. The song playin' when Goku is tryin' to fight off Cooler's Death Ball made that moment...EPIC!

Ridley_Prime
Exactly. Why do the villains even NEED a backstory? Why can't they just be cool?

And for the record, Medamatcha was AWESOME.
Not as much as Salza. stick out tongue

Originally posted by No End N Site
On a side note, I don't like rock/metal music too much but the soundtrax for the 1st few movies have to be the best soundtrax I have ever heard for an anime movie. It just went so well wit the action. The song playin' when Goku is tryin' to fight off Cooler's Death Ball made that moment...EPIC!
I believe that was a song from Deftones, which I'm not really a fan of, but I agree that it was used at the most perfect moment nonetheless... But I still prefer the other tracks played in the movie more-so (namely the ones from Drowning Pool and Disturbed).

All and all, best DBZ movie for me without question. Had the best main movie villain in the series (IMO), the best overall soundtrack, everything. Watched it countless times back in the day.

No End N Site
I noticed that alot of the songs in the Cooler and Slug movies where in "The One" as well.

Ridley_Prime
Heh... Never noticed that ironically. Good call.

Mr. Rhythmic
Not as much as Salza. stick out tongue

Disagreed.

Hell yeah. Personally, I prefer Cooler over Frieza.

No End N Site
Me too. Cooler was cool. Freeza was an arrogant spoiled ass.

TomMovies45
I agree, Dragonball: Evolution was one of the worst. I was so disappointed.

Astner
In order:

Movie 12: Fusion Reborn
Movie 13: Dragon Fist
Movie 6: Cooler's revenge
Movie 9: Space Pirates
Movie 5: Freeza's Brother
Movie 3: Tree of Might
Movie 8: Broly
Movie 10: Broly returns
Movie 4: Lord Slug
Movie 2: Dr. Wheelo
Movie 1: Garlic Jr.
Movie 11: Bio-Broly

I haven't seen any of them in 4-5 years or so. But that's how I remembered them.

Luke Cage
Movie 8: Broly
Movie 10: Broly returns
Movie 2: Dr. Wheelo
Movie 5: Freeza's Brother
Movie 6: Cooler's revenge
Movie 1: Garlic Jr.
Movie 12: Fusion Reborn
Movie 13: Dragon Fist
Movie 9: Space Pirates
Movie 3: Tree of Might
Movie 4: Lord Slug
Movie 11: Bio-Broly

Earthlover
they all suck...

Ridley_Prime
Nah.

Classic NES
Best: Worlds Strongest, Dead Zone, Tree of Might, Metal Cooler, Bojacks.

Worst: Anything with Broly.

NemeBro
Bardock: Father of Goku is the best.

Ban Mido
I always loved The History Of Trunks cause I really felt the emotion and it hit me seeing Trunks arrive seeing Gohan dead. Although I LOVE Broly as a villian I do feel he could have been a tad bit stronger and badass XD...but if I had it my way he would be SS4 Gogeta lvls XD. The one where Broly returned though in my opinion could have been LOADS better, seriously it was fun seeing him smack around Gohan but I wish it could have been a tad more epic and maybe seeing Vegetas reaction to seeing Broly back, like maybe increase his power a little more as well...wasn't too fond on how he died either -_-.

Bardocks movie of course is a given 5/5

all the others I enjoyed a good bit but always left me with some questions or complaints but just tiny things like in Lord Slug I wish it would have ended with Goku killling him in that false super saiyan state in like a bloody rage to actually strike fear into Slug XD. Overall though I don't have too many complaints with any of the movies stick out tongue.

deathcon27
the worst ever has got to be dragonball:yo! best for me is coolers revenge his 4th form looks bad ass

Stray_mind
The best:

Bardock movie
Tree of might
Super android 13

And i liked bio broly the least.

(as for the others, i haven't seen History of trunks, fusion reborn and wrath of the dragon yet.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.