Clone Wars Campaign Guide

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
Some interesting information from the Clone Wars Campaign Guide:

1. The guide acknowledges that the Clone Wars was the most wide-spread, influential, and largest conflict the galaxy had ever seen up to that point.

2. The guide acknowledges repeatedly that the CIS and Republic have pretty much absolute parity of forces.

3. The guide's figure for CIS ground forces: a quadrillion battle droids.

4. The guide's figure for Republic troops: three million (though it specifically notes that it doesn't include support units).

5. The guide acknowledges that the Republic and Confederacy each have capital ships that number in the several, several, several thousands and make casual use of terms such as "fleets" and "armadas."

6. The guide offers surprising commentary on the power of Dooku, Mace, and Yoda. Yoda has a combat level of 20, Mace has a combat level of 19, and Dooku is the weakest at 18.

7. The guide mentions that individual battles could "cover the surfaces of planets" and fill "systems," which gives a lot of illumination for scale.

There's more, but a lot of it has slipped my memory.

SIDIOUS 66
Any new interesting info on Ventress?

xxxpoppunker182
so one clone=how many droids?

Janus Marius
I wasn't aware that character levels were binding in RPG sourcebooks.

If this is the case, then Revan and Kun are both 20s.

SIDIOUS 66
Different eras.

Autokrat
The d20 rules system remains consistent no matter what era source book one is using. Its irrelevant anyways, I mean there are non force sensitives that come close to or are level twenty.

Lord Lucien
Like Canderous Ordo, I always got him at level 20.

That 3 million Clone number irks me. All in one source they mention the war as the biggest and most destructive, thousands of "fleets" and "armadas", and a parity in forces. With 3 million. Bull. Shit.

Captain REX
The Noble Three Million number has never settled well with me. That's hardly enough to populate the state of California, let alone wage galactic warfare.

Autokrat
A hundred million clones would be stretching it. I don't think Sci-Fi authors understand just how HUGE a galaxy is. Especially one like the SW galaxy with its 200 million something planets capable of supporting life.

Realisticly if one was to wage a galatic war, there would have to be trillions of ground forces alone. Sort of like how the IoM in 40k has countless trillions of Imperial Guard. At the very least, you need billions of men to hold and maintain entire planets.

Gideon
Originally posted by Janus Marius
I wasn't aware that character levels were binding in RPG sourcebooks.

If this is the case, then Revan and Kun are both 20s.

Easy, killer. No one said it was binding or even accurate.

Janus Marius
My entire point there was that the information was not so much as "surprising commentary" but rather, "irrelevant game mechanic attributes". I'm still confused as to how you managed to semantically confuse the ideas.

Captain REX
I think what he meant is that he was surprised because he thought Dooku would be ranked higher. Not sure what the problem with that is.

I like that Wizards has released a bunch of campaign guides recently. I do not play the official game, but it certainly does provide a lot of information and keeps things up to speed.

xxxpoppunker182
I wanna start playing soon I got my girlfriend and my roomates cousin and brother interested in playing as well.

Captain REX
I'd be interested in trying it out at some point. Never quite understood how it worked, but I guess I'd have to plow through the giant main rules book.

xxxpoppunker182
if you understand how the kotor game mechanics work then learning how d20 works is fairly simple

Gideon
Originally posted by Janus Marius
My entire point there was that the information was not so much as "surprising commentary" but rather, "irrelevant game mechanic attributes".

No, your entire point is that (once again) Dooku is not considered the end all be all and this, naturally, upsets you.

I'm confused why you think "irrelevant game mechanics" can't be considered commentary, regardless of the fact that they may or may not be accurate.

Janus tends to get defensive on the subject of Dooku. There was a time when Dooku was better than everyone in the PT (smarter, stronger, more talented)... I even recall one of Janus's wet dream fanfictions where Dooku fights off Mace and Yoda and escapes without injury.

Old habits and all that. He'll get over it. wink

Captain REX
I fight off Mace and Yoda all the time. Doesn't everyone?

In any case, it is just game mechanics for the purpose of roleplaying. Can't have ambiguous stats to roleplay properly.

Did it offer up any new technologies or info?

Gideon
Sly Moore, Palpatine's bald aide in Revenge of the Sith has also apparently been in her Master's employ since before the Battle of Naboo; her biography mentions that Darth Maul kidnapped her and brought her to a Sith stronghold in some random nebula, where she was tortured by the Sith spirits -- it mentions that only her awesome willpower kept her from succumbing to madness -- until Palpatine arrived and "rescued her," claiming that he heard her cries and came at once.

Gideon
Star Wars Complete Cross Sections mentions that the Confederacy fielded "millions of warships" throughout the war and that at the invasion of Coruscant alone yielded "dozens of destroyers" leading "thousands of battleships and frigates."

This seems to be corroborated by the Campaign Guide.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Gideon
Star Wars Complete Cross Sections mentions that the Confederacy fielded "millions of warships" throughout the war and that at the invasion of Coruscant alone yielded "dozens of destroyers" leading "thousands of battleships and frigates."

This seems to be corroborated by the Campaign Guide.

Dozens? Thousands? The republic didn't wield anything close to that given the fact that each ship would contain hundreds of thousands of clones and the armie's only (for some reason) a few million AND that this is just the portion that's defending Courscant. So at most they'd have a few ships (a few hundred thousand troops, which is quite a bit but hey it's the capital) vs Thousands of ships. And yet the Republic technically won that battle.

Either clones rule, and/or battle droids fail.

Gideon
I think the clone figure applies only to infantry; the Campaign guide specifically says that support personnel do not constitute any of the three million.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Dozens? Thousands? The republic didn't wield anything close to that given the fact that each ship would contain hundreds of thousands of clones and the armie's only (for some reason) a few million AND that this is just the portion that's defending Courscant. So at most they'd have a few ships (a few hundred thousand troops, which is quite a bit but hey it's the capital) vs Thousands of ships. And yet the Republic technically won that battle.

Either clones rule, and/or battle droids fail. The Venator-class SD's carried 2,000 troops (can only assume Clones), and 7,400 (presumably non-Clone) crew members. Using perfect numbers, you'd need 1500 Venators to carry 3 million Clones. Factoring in Clones stationed on-world and in other departments in the fleet, this is hardly a stretch.

Gideon
Update (from the Jedi Academy Sourcebook: Anoon Bondara's entry states that his Padawan learners and students regard him as a warrior whose skills are without peer. However, the entry itself says that Bondara "humbles himself" when he spars against "superior fighters" such as Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu, though the sourcebook does go out of its way to regard his skills as "considerable."

So the conclusion is thus that while Anoon Bondara is easily one of the most skilled duelists and instructors in the Temple, he is not the best by any means.

Count Makashi
:6. The guide offers surprising commentary on the power of Dooku, Mace, and Yoda. Yoda has a combat level of 20, Mace has a combat level of 19, and Dooku is the weakest at 18.

Damn,they just had to make Mace better, bastards. Now i cant pull arguments out of the hat anymore.
But seriously, i always thought Dooku and Mace were about equal in power and skill, just that Mace has Vaapad and therefore defeat Dooku, because of it. But if they fought a neutral opponent, lets say like Obi-Wan they would do about the same, maybe Dooku slightly better, because of the offensive Force powers.

How cannon is this by the way?

truejedi
Update (from the Jedi Academy Sourcebook: Anoon Bondara's entry states that his Padawan learners and students regard him as a warrior whose skills are without peer. However, the entry itself says that Bondara "humbles himself" when he spars against "superior fighters" such as Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu, though the sourcebook does go out of its way to regard his skills as "considerable."

So the conclusion is thus that while Anoon Bondara is easily one of the most skilled duelists and instructors in the Temple, he is not the best by any means.

happiness. Its past time Bondara wasn't the be-all end-all. I'm glad you read those sourcebooks, and thanks for posting the info. I can't get myself to read them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.