Pontypool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
A rather unusual concept for a zombie movie. Looks interesting though.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/pontypool/

MildPossession
The director of the film says they are not Zombies in the film, so to me it's like 28 Days Later, not a Zombie film. I like the whole language element to this film.

I liked the director's last film The Tracey Fragments, was quite interesting, but good to see he hasn't done this Horror film in the experimental way like The Tracey Fragments, took a lot of concentration to follow everything in that film.

It will not be out for ages here in the UK, it's only showing at the Edinburgh Film Festival, so will be some time after that for a main release if released at the cinema. DVD for me I think.

jaden101
Originally posted by MildPossession
The director of the film says they are not Zombies in the film, so to me it's like 28 Days Later, not a Zombie film. I like the whole language element to this film.

I liked the director's last film The Tracey Fragments, was quite interesting, but good to see he hasn't done this Horror film in the experimental way like The Tracey Fragments, took a lot of concentration to follow everything in that film.

It will not be out for ages here in the UK, it's only showing at the Edinburgh Film Festival, so will be some time after that for a main release if released at the cinema. DVD for me I think.

Hopefully it'll get shown at my local contemporary arts cinema. They seem to be good at showing stuff that doesn't get general release. I saw "Waltz with Bashir" and "The wind that shakes the barley" there so fingers crossed.

MildPossession
Yeah we have an arthouse cinema here too, so hopefully shown here.

jaden101
Read a tiny little bit more detail about this the other day which reminded me of it because I'd totally forgotten i'd made a thread on it.

I like the idea that it's Valentine's day and different terms of endearment are what spread the "zombie" state. So they end up using bad French as a means to avoid spreading it further.

Sounds funny. I'm going to have to see it soon.

steverules_2
I want the guy with the hat to live...

jinXed by JaNx
I pirated this movie a while ago. Considering how silly the concept sounded i was surprised that there was very little humor in the movie that revolves around the idea of a virus that is transmitted through a word. The entire movie takes place in a very small radio station and that's why, i think, the movie works so well. As the disc jockey and station producer continues to get these insane calls reports they believe it to be a prank and it's not until the virus has broken out all over the state that they find out it's real. So, the ensuing chaos relies on your imagination and the reports of a station correspondent to paint a picture. So, the psychological aspect definitely works and the actors very decent. It's a good little movie, nothing special but it's not a waste of time. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say about the movie.

roughrider
Pontypool is a town located about an hour northeast of Toronto, here in Canada. That is the setting, I'm assuming.

jaden101
Originally posted by roughrider
Pontypool is a town located about an hour northeast of Toronto, here in Canada. That is the setting, I'm assuming.

It is...There's also a Pontypool in Wales which would've been an even more awesome setting. It would've also been hilarious.

MildPossession
I just saw this last night. I wasn't blown away by it but it was an interesting take on the genre, it was a brave direction to take, hardly any 'zombie' viewing or gore and I expect a lot of people would have found it one big bore because of that.

I did like at the very end of the credits, not the stupid black and white scene, but the audio running through the credits, you hear that BBC news reader start to change as he repeats Pontypool ha ha.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.