Alan Moore vs Frank Miller

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Indestructible
Im not talking about directing or acting(obviously) but Im talking about the Characters(Ex. Moore: Swamp-Thing. Miller: Batman) they wrote about. Which writers characters had better films? With Miller I may do some of the films he directed.

Moore:
Watchmen
Swamp- Thing
V for Vendetta
Return of the Swamp- Thing(lol)
Leauge of Extarodinary Gentlemen

Miller:
Batman Begins
Daredevil
Sin City
Robocop 2

Kovacs86
Miller's characters had better films, easily, though Miller can't direct for shit (or write now, it seems, especially when compared with a genius like Moore). Watchmen was just about OK, I've never seen Swamp Thing but heard it's bollocks, V for Vendetta was crap, Return of the Swamp Thing must be god-awful, and LoEG was a disaster.
As for Miller, Begins was great, Daredevil was alright (not as bad as most people say, and it had potential, as a standalone film and for a series, I think), Sin City was good, 300's good if you like that kind of thing, I'm sure, and Robocop 2 sucked balls. Miller still wins easily, though his stuff is so cinematic already that he's about a million times easier to film than Moore. And you forgot the god-awful From Hell film.

Symmetric Chaos
Miller's movies were better by a mile, probably because the stories he wrote were pretty straight forward.

roughrider
Not sure Miller should get credit for Batman Begins. There were bits of Batman: Year One, but you could give him credit for Tim Burton's Batman - wouldn't have gotten made without The Dark Knight Returns.
And the rumours what he would have done had he gotten to do the Batman reboot (with Darren Aronofsky) - awful, Sin City crap he was planning. Just look at what he's been doing with All Star Batman, and you get the idea.
Besides that, Daredevil & Robocop 2 sucked. Sin City & 300 were good entertainment.

Moore's work on Swamp Thing came after Wes Craven made the first movie. But his amazing work was responsible for The Return Of Swamp Thing - a campy piece of crap that started getting him suspicious of Hollywood.
LOEG - crapola( no kidding!)
But, on the strength of V For Vendetta & Watchmen, I will give the edge to Alan Moore.

Indestructible
See these are the Miller movies I liked:
Batman Begins
Daredevil
Sin City

These are the Moore movies I liked:
Watchmen
V for Vendetta

I think if they made a Swamp- Thing reboot it may be ok
LoEg was Ok. Ive seen better.
300 was ok
Robocop 2 sucked wang
Return of the swamp-thing...........you dont wanna get me started.

IMO Moore is better.

Impediment
Every Moore adaptation to date has been very sub-par, in my opinion.

Most of Miller's works were watchable, but still lacking.

The best of the bunch? Sin City without a doubt.

BruceSkywalker
I liked V for Vendetta... Swamp Thing, League of Extraordinany Gentlemen wre atrocious.. Watchmen was not all that it was cracked up to be..

then Frank.. Batman Begins, 200 and Sin City all pwn

Kazenji
Robocop 2 was a good sequal obvisouly it would've been even better but the damn studio did'nt tamper with Millers Script.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji
Robocop 2 was a good sequal obvisouly it would've been even better but the damn studio did'nt tamper with Millers Script.

I'm not blaming Miller for Robocop 2 - he was still at the height of his creative comic power then. They did mess with his script, and his 'Robocop vs. The Terminator' series for Dark Horse was probably his response, showing he can write a good Robocop story without interference.

Kazenji
Regardless tampering of his script i still like the sequal now its the third movie that was shithouse

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

is that the prequal

Mr Shindiggery
Frank Miller by far, the only Alan Moore movie I liked was Watchmen and was just mearly okay, wheras Sin City and Batman Begins stand tall in the comic book movie genre imo. As for Daredevil and 300 they are just okay to me not horrible but least better then V for Vendetta and From Hell.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.