New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mandrag Ganon
4 Player New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii announced today.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10254399-1.html

S_D_J
this game sounds very "meh" to me

I'm much more excited about SMG2 and Metroid..

good luck none of them are coming out just yet

I still have to buy another Wii.. probably around August..

Mandrag Ganon
I think it'll be good.

Neo Darkhalen
So basically it's the DS game with 4 players?

Peach
Sigh.

Nintendo, please stop remaking the same game a half-dozen times over...

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Peach
Sigh.

Nintendo, please stop remaking the same game a half-dozen times over...

Hmm you would think they would come up with NEW games for a NEW series...but alas no.

Hey at least we get Wii Fit 2 haermm

Peach
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Hmm you would think they would come up with NEW games for a NEW series...but alas no.

Hey at least we get Wii Fit 2 haermm

Seriously, I've been a fan of Nintendo for 20 years, and I know they're not perfect but they do tend to make very good games.

But it's a little tiresome with them just remaking older game after older game for their newer systems. Make something NEW, damnit! Come up with some new IPs, or do something different with the existing ones - just do something other than giving (insert random old game here) Wii or DS controls, please.

Neo Darkhalen
Oh I agree the first console I owned was an NES and then an SNES so I was have a bias towards them...but the fact that a DS game is going onto wii with the big difference being 4 players and then a galaxy 2 when there was a first one not so long ago (and they pretty much look exactly the same) topped with the recently released NES Punch out 2.0 (Wii edition) then you have to wonder what happened to the creative minds of the late 80's/90's.

Don't get me wrong I like the look of Punch out but it does seem to be the exact same NES game just dressed up with better graphics.

Peach
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Oh I agree the first console I owned was an NES and then an SNES so I was have a bias towards them...but the fact that a DS game is going onto wii with the big difference being 4 players and then a galaxy 2 when there was a first one not so long ago (and they pretty much look exactly the same) topped with the recently released NES Punch out 2.0 (Wii edition) then you have to wonder what happened to the creative minds of the late 80's/90's.

Don't get me wrong I like the look of Punch out but it does seem to be the exact same NES game just dressed up with better graphics.

There have been a lot of remakes/sequels lately, so Nintendo's not the only one guilty of it...but it seems that it's making up most of what they're doing recently.

I didn't like SMG (I don't like 3D Mario games - I'm no fan of Mario 64 either), so SMG2 I am not at all interested in. If I were to play any Mario game on the Wii, it'd be this. But...why bother? I've played it on DS already. I'm not interested in multiplayer. What's the point?

I know I've said in the past that Nintendo has been doing a good thing by focussing on the casual market. However, I think at this point they've swung around to where continuing to do so is just harming them more than helping, because those of us who are not casual gamers that have Wiis are left with basically nothing new that's decent to play.

Neo Darkhalen
There have been a lot of remakes/sequels lately, so Nintendo's not the only one guilty of it...but it seems that it's making up most of what they're doing recently.

I didn't like SMG (I don't like 3D Mario games - I'm no fan of Mario 64 either), so SMG2 I am not at all interested in. If I were to play any Mario game on the Wii, it'd be this. But...why bother? I've played it on DS already. I'm not interested in multiplayer. What's the point?

I know I've said in the past that Nintendo has been doing a good thing by focussing on the casual market. However, I think at this point they've swung around to where continuing to do so is just harming them more than helping, because those of us who are not casual gamers that have Wiis are left with basically nothing new that's decent to play.

There isn't one in honesty, It seems they are trying to fit in with a large percent of gamers who are only interested in multiplayer, and their whole notion of if games do not include multiplayer then they are fairly substandard...so it's just a case of releasing the same product add the ("now mandatory"wink multiplayer requirement and send it off to make some more cash.

Another problem I have is NSMB was an incredibly short game in the long run, so imagine playing it 4 player you would finish it in less then a day. erm And so far the only other thing they have decided to tell us is their will be new power ups which again won't increase lifespan.

Oh and it'll be fun trying to play multiplayer, yay friend codes. In truth this is the wii version of Left 4 Dead 2.

Edit: Just on the note of the wii's life it seems to me it's great for a month or two but people like yourself and I who have been gaming for many a good while are left with little challenge in their games catalogue; so it then becomes pointless to keep playing it when their is nothing to entice you back...no challenge and no games that can really drive you on to keep playing.

Darth Jello
I have a feeling that the two toads are temporary stand ins for Wario and Waluigi. I hope they load this game with levels, retro and new items, secrets, and make at least some of the level near SMBLL in difficulty. I also hope (as noted in a previous post) they get around to releasing a complete version of SMB3

WO Polaski
i wonder why no one complains about nintendo milking this franchise to death...

Nemesis X
They should probably call their company Nintendo Repeat. Has a nice ring to it.

NemeBro
Originally posted by WO Polaski
i wonder why no one complains about nintendo milking this franchise to death... Indeed, but when Microsoft or Sony do it EVERYONE jumps up their ass.

NemeBro
I'm no fan of Mario 64 either You're a monster. no expression

stick out tongue

Black Yoshi
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
4 Player New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii announced today.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10254399-1.html

This game ought to be good, so I'll be looking forward to it.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by WO Polaski
i wonder why no one complains about nintendo milking this franchise to death...
Because people have their own opinions about what should and shouldn't be milked?

NemeBro
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Because people have their own opinions about what should and shouldn't be milked? Milking is a derogatory term.

Ushgarak
'Milking' doesn't stick as an attack when the fanbase has been crying out for a non-handheld 2D Mario for over a decade. This is simply giving the fans what they want.

I also see no indication that it is simply a DS remake.

WO Polaski
if the sales for the mario games werent phenomenal nintendo wouldnt care.

Peach
Originally posted by Ushgarak
'Milking' doesn't stick as an attack when the fanbase has been crying out for a non-handheld 2D Mario for over a decade. This is simply giving the fans what they want.

I also see no indication that it is simply a DS remake.

Well, there is the fact that they're calling it exactly the same as the DS one...

Ushgarak
Simple marketing. That's the brand name now. It's a completely new game.

Peach
I dunno. I'm kind of losing faith in Nintendo in general lately. And considering what they've been doing a lot of lately I've no reason to believe it won't be a remake.

My little brother saw a video for this on TV, though, and promptly flipped out asking when it'd be out and if we could get it.

Smasandian
At first, I thought it was the same game but for the Wii and with 4 people co-op. It's not bad because there's alot of people who have Wii that do not have a DS so giving them the DS version on the Wii is not a bad move at all. It's good for fans. And 4 people co-op could be a good party game.

But I've seen some videos from it and it looks like a new game. Now, I'm kinda of excited because I love 2D Mario and the MP looks kinda of promising and a bit different.

Neo Darkhalen
If it is indeed a new game then awesome.

Mandrag Ganon
My favorite Super Mario Bros. game still stands firm as Super Mario Bros. 3.

Ushgarak
Confirmed by Miyamato in a BBC interview:

"People may mistake the game as a straight port of Super Mario Brothers Nintendo DS. This is an all new game. The levels are not the same, it's all new content. "

Smasandian
Then it's a must buy. I love 2D Mario games. Who cares about 4 player co-op.

Peach
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Confirmed by Miyamato in a BBC interview:

"People may mistake the game as a straight port of Super Mario Brothers Nintendo DS. This is an all new game. The levels are not the same, it's all new content. "

Hmmmm. Well then yay. Because I definitely prefer 2D Mario over 3D Mario.

Also, my two younger siblings and my mom (who rarely plays games anymore but still loves the old NES Mario games) think it looks awesome and want it.

Neo Darkhalen
New game, fantastic! then as Smasandian said it's a must buy!

Wonder if Bowser will die again. mmm

SaTsuJiN
ugh.. I still have to beat the first mario galaxy damnit.. ><

I definitely wanna check this out.. always welcome to have a multiplayer version of a game you know you're gonna like

Ushgarak
I do love co-op games, but the ever-amusing Angry Video Game Nerd got a short play at E3 and he says it is more of an ass hole game than a co-op, as you do things like interrupt each others' jumps.

(which he said he loves)

EDIT: His full quote:

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Wii – Of all the games I played at E3, this is the one that I had the most fun with. It’s in the style of “New Super Mario Bros” on DS, except it’s an all new game. It resembles Smash Bros from afar. But it’s very different. It’s simply a sidescrolling Mario game with 4 players at the same time. This means you all compete for coins and powerups and be a total dickhead toward’s the other players. It’s similar to the original “Mario Bros” arcade how you can get the other player killed, but just amplify that a million times. Say for example, the other player is trying to jump a pitfall. You can jump on top of their head and make them fall. It’s an ******* game! And that makes it fun. They should just call it "Super Mario Bros: *******".

Ridley_Prime
On a slightly similar note... haermm

Q0MrrBXEJ1U

Smasandian
I love it.

"Where did he get the barrel?"

Bro SMASH
Can't wait to play this game. I'm more of a 2D Mario game fan than a 3D Mario fan so I'm gonna definitely get this.

SaTsuJiN
Thats mean.. what has 3D mario's ever done to you guys crybaby

Darth Jello
The problem that I had with NSMB was that the pre-rendered graphics lose some of the charm of the original sprites and the only game that I've found to be an exception to this is Mario RPG. That and the fact that the game was relatively short and kind of low on secrets. I heard Bowser's kids are coming back but I would really like a huge abundance of levels. I mean Super Mario world had 72 levels and the full, e-carded Super Mario Bros. 3 had almost twice that number.

Darth Jello
actually, come to think of it, it only had two fewer levels than SMW, but it still can't top a complete SMB3's 128 (counting the e-reader levels).

By the way, if you want a truely classic experience, there's a project that's almost complete to fix Super Mario Bros. Special (the lost mario game!) so the mechanics are closer to the NES and it's more playable.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
On a slightly similar note... haermm

Q0MrrBXEJ1U

haermm

Fantastic

Darth Jello
No one would love to play a more playable version of Super Mario Bros. Special?

Peach
Originally posted by Darth Jello
No one would love to play a more playable version of Super Mario Bros. Special?

Considering the fact that you're basically disrupting the thread by posting about something off-topic...no, don't really think anyone cares.

Darth Jello
It's two classic 2-d mario style games coming out at just about the same time, I don't see the disruption.

Neo Darkhalen
It's two classic 2-d mario style games coming out at just about the same time, I don't see the disruption.

I think she means rather then distrupting the talk about NSMB's wii, make a thread about that game.

Peach

It has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, which is NSMB. And you've posted about it multiple times. That is being disruptive, because it's off-topic.

Darth Jello
alright, but my points about length of game and sprite based graphics remain valid.

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Thats mean.. what has 3D mario's ever done to you guys crybaby

Hey, I didn't say I didn't like the 3D Mario games. But I'm just so use to playing 2D Mario games that I just tend to like them better.

Neo Darkhalen
alright, but my points about length of game and sprite based graphics remain valid.

The game was too short.

Graphics are better then sprites by far, I hope any future 2D mario games continue this NSMB's style.

So I agree with one of your points.

Darth Jello
They lose their charm and sometimes look far worse than sprites

Ridley_Prime
Not really.

Darth Jello
I think a good parallel would be the difference between traditional and computer animation. And are you honestly saying that the new art and graphics in New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Vs. Donkey Kong are more iconic and charming than that of 16-bit era Mario?

I actually found an article dealing with what I'm talking about.
http://nfggames.com/games/mariosprites/

Ridley_Prime
I think a good parallel would be the difference between traditional and computer animation. And are you honestly saying that the new art and graphics in New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Vs. Donkey Kong are more iconic and charming than that of 16-bit era Mario?
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Did I ever say/imply they were more iconic or anything? No. Was only disagreeing that they've lost their charm and that they look far worse than sprites, because they don't.

You're a nostalgia-obsessed guy who prefers 16-bit stuff over modern 3D games, we get it.

Darth Jello
no, I didn't say that at all I've enjoyed most of the post 64 era Nintendo games with the possible exception of Luigi's Mansion because it was kind of convoluted and lame and Super Mario Sunshine because I still haven't beaten it and actually think it's far too difficult for a Mario game. I just think Sprites work better for 2D games and while I liked the nostalgia factor of NSMB, I felt that because the graphics were prerendered that a certain charm and expressiveness had been lost. Possibly because the colors are less outlandish. The only 2D Mario game with prerendered graphics that I thought captured that charm was Mario RPG and that may be because of color or because the graphics look more like claymation than CGI.
I don't expect the new Wii game to recapture the feeling of the old games but I at least hope they make some improvement to NSMB in terms of color and expressiveness and that they bring back Koji Kondo to compose the music because NSMB's music was another factor I found inferior.

Neo Darkhalen
Yeah Rid hit the nail on the head right there, the fact is NSMB's has a much better style then 8/16 bit sprites. Get over it, you like the retro look thats cool, but my god man we need to move forward you can't expect a series to live in the SNES era forever.

NemeBro
I love how Jello has just kinda been ignoring Lana.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by NemeBro
I love how Jello has just kinda been ignoring Lana.

Hey, I'm discussing the topic, if you've got a problem, discuss it with the moderator instead of calling me out. I've been posting on these forums since 2003.

NemeBro
Kay. Good for you.

If you think I at all could give a damn at how much longer you have been posting on an online forum than me, you're sadly mistaken.

Peach
Jaxx, stop, please.

Darth Jello, really. This thread really isn't for the discussion of other games. Which I said already. And nobody cares how long you've been posting on here; it is completely irrelevant and will get you nothing special.

NemeBro
Alright, I'll stop, for you. love

Darth Jello
I am discussing the game and what I expect from it based on what's come before.

Neo Darkhalen
I am discussing the game and what I expect from it based on what's come before.

No your whining and expressing interest in a game completely unrelated to NSMB's Wii

Ushgarak
In any case, I'll be passing on this one as I have never been a 2d Mario fan, and the mutliplay being effectively competitive also does not attract.

carolina17
Super Mario Bros Wii is a mix of 2D and 3D game design.
I have never been disappointed by Nintendo and SMB should be a very good game.
Miyamoto explains what he did in this article at 1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174621
I am sure SMB is going to be a major hit this holiday season.

Ushgarak
Oh it will be a massive hit, no doubt of that.

Ban Mido
Oh bummer...I read the title as "NEW SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII" I was like "Already embarrasment?! HUZZAH" sadly no. Ehh classics are alright...I like when they release newer versions of classics ..oh wait there's already been like 3,000 super mario bro remakes XD...

*sigh*

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Ban Mido
Oh bummer...I read the title as "NEW SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR WII" I was like "Already embarrasment?! HUZZAH" sadly no. Ehh classics are alright...I like when they release newer versions of classics ..oh wait there's already been like 3,000 super mario bro remakes XD...

*sigh*

It's not a remake.

Black Yoshi
Has there been any gameplay footage released for this game?

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Black Yoshi
Has there been any gameplay footage released for this game?

One gameplay trailer so far (I think) I've only seen one in any case.

Neo Darkhalen
The Koopalings return, apparently.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/990/990242p1.html

Black Yoshi
I saw the trailer of the game, and it had some gameplay footage. It looked really nice.

The Koopalings should be teenagers or adults by now, but it's nice to see them again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.