Need Help: How do I explain to an LOTR fan that Jedi/Sith are not Invincible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
A guy who I work with is a little confused. He thinks that Jedi cannot be killed by a blaster bolt. That is sort of true if the Jedi deflects it, but I used the Clone Wars as an example and he still didn't believe me. He said "Jedi can use the Force and throw all the droids with one hand." It's driving me insane trying to explain that a Jedi or Sith cannot deflect 10,000 bolts flying at him so how do I prove it?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
A guy who I work with is a little confused. He thinks that Jedi cannot be killed by a blaster bolt. That is sort of true if the Jedi deflects it, but I used the Clone Wars as an example and he still didn't believe me. He said "Jedi can use the Force and throw all the droids with one hand." It's driving me insane trying to explain that a Jedi or Sith cannot deflect 10,000 bolts flying at him so how do I prove it? Unfortunately your friend is either screwing with you, never seen the movies, or is completely retarded. I don't recall a Jedi ever being able to grip moving energy such as a blaster bolt with the Force. And as far as the movies show, they certainly do not have the capability to employ telekinesis on such a magnitude as to be able to fling around the entire droid army.

Darth Rex
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Unfortunately your friend is either screwing with you, never seen the movies, or is completely retarded. I don't recall a Jedi ever being able to grip moving energy such as a blaster bolt with the Force. And as far as the movies show, they certainly do not have the capability to employ telekinesis on such a magnitude as to be able to fling around the entire droid army.

Empire Strikes Back
On Cloud City Han Solo fires at Vader and he stops the balster bolt with the force.

As for the oringial problem. Tie him up and force him to watch every Star wars film and the whole of the clone wars episodes. If he still doesn't realise. Call him an idiot and laugh at him then give up!

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Rex
Empire Strikes Back
On Cloud City Han Solo fires at Vader and he stops the balster bolt with the force. I said "grip moving energy" via telekinesis, not "stop".

Darth Truculent
He is thoroghly convinced that a Jedi has that ability. He's seen the movies and read some of the books. Personally, I think that he believes that every Jedi is an upper-tier character. Is he a lost cause?

Darth Rex
Just remembered ORDER 66!!!!!!!
Lots of jedi killed by clone troopers with BLASTERS!!

Nephthys
Explain to him that Jedi are not Gods, but wo/men. They can easily make mistakes or lose focus within the force. The force offers them the ability to predict blaster shots and the speed and reflexes necessary to stop them, but those powers can be overwelmed by number, surprise etc. Also explain the the basic principle with force-users is a Matrix-style 'mind-over-matter' type thing, and that most jedi don't have teh mental capicty or will to pull off super-human feats of 'magic' Refer to him the case of Galen Marek, who influenced a Star destroyer, but through-out bordered on failure due to his own doubts about the innormacy of his task. Therefore say that while a jedi could logically do the feats he believes them to be capable of (energy can effect energy, no?), their own failings as mere mortals limit them from such.

If that doesn't work just whack him with a wrench and lock him in somewhere dark and cold till he figures it out.adult-smileys

Gideon
If Yoda is to be believed, Jedi are walking incarnations of a No Limits Fallacy. To a clear, collective mind, a Jedi should be able to achieve just about anything.

fortunately, not even Darth "Unlimited Power!!1!" Sidious is free of doubt.

Nephthys
I've always thought a crazy (full-on crazy. None of that psycho-crazy shit) jedi/sith would be the most powerful of the most powerful. No-limits in the minds= no limits in the force= epic win.

Doesn't that kind of make mediclorins useless though.mmm

Gideon
Originally posted by Nephthys
I've always thought a crazy (full-on crazy. None of that psycho-crazy shit) jedi/sith would be the most powerful of the most powerful. No-limits in the minds= no limits in the force= epic win.

Doesn't that kind of make mediclorins useless though.mmm

Well, ultimately, one could say that Yoda and Kota (proponents of "lulz clarity = uber power!!1!"wink are fallible mortals, for all their knowledge. They could just be wrong.

Starkiller and Skywalker (the two that Kota and Yoda were instructing, respectively) were enormously powerful and enjoyed great attunement to the Force. Perhaps if you are on a certain plateau of power, mental clarity can remove what few limitations you have left.

Lord Lucien
He is thoroghly convinced that a Jedi has that ability. He's seen the movies and read some of the books. Personally, I think that he believes that every Jedi is an upper-tier character. Is he a lost cause? Yeah. Really, if you can't see the Jedis for the blasters then you're an idiot.

Nemesis X
A guy who I work with is a little confused. He thinks that Jedi cannot be killed by a blaster bolt. That is sort of true if the Jedi deflects it, but I used the Clone Wars as an example and he still didn't believe me. He said "Jedi can use the Force and throw all the droids with one hand." It's driving me insane trying to explain that a Jedi or Sith cannot deflect 10,000 bolts flying at him so how do I prove it?

Just smack that fanboy and tell him to go watch Clone Wars. Seriously if someone is driving you insane, you don't have any chance of persuading him if you feel like hitting your head against the wall.

kotorfan
lol I just read all the comments/posts.

You should buy him ROTS, then get him to watch Order 66.

Then ask him how Jedi are invincible. And get HIM to explain to you his theory.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by kotorfan
lol I just read all the comments/posts.

You should buy him ROTS, then get him to watch Order 66.

Then ask him how Jedi are invincible. And get HIM to explain to you his theory.

....while getting him to watch Order 66 over and over again if he still doesn't see the light.

if all else fails hit him with something hard. maybe that will clear his head.

Hewhoknowsall
Just show him the ROTS scene where Mundi gets killed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.