marvel's jesus: the silver surfer or adam warlock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

psycho gundam
i was watching this show about university lectures, and this one guy was trying to prove that jesus is present in numerous fictional mediums yadda yadda yadda. long story short he claimed that the silver surfer was marvel's take on the jesus mythos (<- yeah you heard me). i just think adam warlock could be more of a fit to that title since jesus' claim to fame was the whole dieing for the sins of man thing, and then the resurrection. warlock did a similar act for the marvel universe, and was then resurrected some time later under his own will.

warlock is moses like as well but, dude is more jesus like than surfer in my opinion.

maybe i'm the only that will care about this thread lol, but what the hey.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by psycho gundam
i was watching this show about university lectures, and this one guy was trying to prove that jesus is present in numerous fictional mediums yadda yadda yadda. long story short he claimed that the silver surfer was marvel's take on the jesus mythos (<- yeah you heard me). i just think adam warlock could be more of a fit to that title since jesus' claim to fame was the whole dieing for the sins of man thing, and then the resurrection. warlock did a similar act for the marvel universe, and was then resurrected some time later under his own will.

warlock is moses like as well but, dude is more jesus like than surfer in my opinion.

Well when I think of Marvel's Jesus, I think Adam Warlock. I usually don't associate Surfer with Jesus but he does have Jesus-like values and back story. But between the two, Warlock wins out in my opinion.

Here's my breakdown of these two.

Surfer:
- Norrin Radd died to save Xen-La and was resurrected as the Silver Surfer (i.e. he ascended)
- He appeased a fiery, angry God-lactus by feeding him planets
- A pacifist that goes about doing deeds of good like healing people

Adam Warlock:
- Born the human perfection by unnatural birth
- To save a world, he fought the demonic Man-Beast, died on a cross, and was resurrected (more than once)
- Ascended to GODhood (IG affair)
- Trinity: Warlock, Magus, Goddess
- Fought to save souls of ppl (Conquest)

guy222
AW

Wild Shadow
adam warlock for me. if the lecturer wanted to get a more well known character he could have just picked superman, but for marvel their are a lot of messiahs like cable/nate, thor and i am sure many others.

willRules
Originally posted by psycho gundam

I guess I can see the parallel to Silver Surfer to some extent, whereby Galactus would represent sin or death. However Jesus proved to be stronger than sin and death. Silver Surfer wasn't as powerful as Galactus.

Adam Warlock has that general messianic thing going on.

I guess the best examples would be the comics that have adapted the Bible into comic format. I have a comic of the "Manga Bible, New Testament Raw" which is essentially a quick retelling of the new Testament, with a lot more kung fu type stances.

Well the great irony is that none of them will fit the bill perfectly because they aren't perfect. Jesus is.

But for a general overview I would say you could make that link between numerous fictional characters and the Christian Messiah. My only issue is the term "Jesus Mythos." Often parallels are attempted to be drawn between other myths and the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus in order to imply that Jesus himself was part of a myth. Interestingly all documented evidence (which there is more of for Jesus, and reliable stuff at that, than any other historical figure thousands of years either side) supports the claims of a death and resurrection more than the existence of many historical figures is mentioned. You'd have an easier time arguing the case for an Alexander the Great Mythos or a Julius Caeser mythos. Whether you accept him or not, there is certainly plenty of evidence that supports his case.

Digi
Originally posted by willRules
Well the great irony is that none of them will fit the bill perfectly because they aren't perfect. Jesus is.

Try to keep things in their appropriate forums. Nobody was making the claims that you set off to dispute, and I see no reason for "Christian Rants" in a comic forum, especially when such off-topic ranting can easily be seen as spam even in a discussion where religion is present. I should edit it, but instead I'll just tell you not to repeat it.

Anyway, allusions and parallels to a host of ancient religions and/or mythologies can be found throughout pop culture. It's not really a new revelation. Jesus is just the most recognizable of the bunch, so allusions to his story will seem more prevalent.

It also depends on where you want to draw the line. Is any resurrection story a Christ parallel, or only when it has other similarities? How far do you want to stretch a character to match another? How about Spider-Man: The Other? The rebirth of Superman? Any character that has ever come back in comics? If you want to find connections, you'll find them. Surfer, to me, seems like a bigger stretch than most. Your professor would've been better off choosing Superman.

Though I do like the implication that Surfer-Jesus makes Galactus God. Much more of an OT God than a NT one.

Symmetric Chaos
Adam Warlock was an explicit parallel of Jesus/Adam originally, not so much anymore.

Silver Surfer doesn't strike me as messianic enough to be a Jesus parallel, though Superman has plenty of times when he acts like that.

willRules
Originally posted by Digi
Try to keep things in their appropriate forums. Nobody was making the claims that you set off to dispute, and I see no reason for "Christian Rants" in a comic forum, especially when such off-topic ranting can easily be seen as spam even in a discussion where religion is present. I should edit it, but instead I'll just tell you not to repeat it.

Anyway, allusions and parallels to a host of ancient religions and/or mythologies can be found throughout pop culture. It's not really a new revelation. Jesus is just the most recognizable of the bunch, so allusions to his story will seem more prevalent.

It also depends on where you want to draw the line. Is any resurrection story a Christ parallel, or only when it has other similarities? How far do you want to stretch a character to match another? How about Spider-Man: The Other? The rebirth of Superman? Any character that has ever come back in comics? If you want to find connections, you'll find them. Surfer, to me, seems like a bigger stretch than most. Your professor would've been better off choosing Superman.

Though I do like the implication that Surfer-Jesus makes Galactus God. Much more of an OT God than a NT one.

Apologies for the rant. I see why people might see it as inappropriate. Although you haveta admit, it's difficult for people like me to bite their tongues on subjects near and dear to my heart when comments like this are made in neighbouring threads......

Originally posted by Phantom Zone
Im not suprised to hear that (if its true), alot of these really ultra religous Christians are just ****ing hypocrites. Hell maybe she should get an orange ring.

........but, like you say, that doesn't excuse my comments, which were posted prior to that quote and I apologise if I upset anyone smile

Digi
it's difficult for people like me

Lulz. People like you? We all face criticism of our worldviews at some point. You need to report posts like that in the future, not respond with more of the same which only worsens the problem.

However, you've rescinded your comments and apologized, so thank you for that.

Doctor-Alvis
Of course none of them will be as similar to Jesus as Jesus, Jesus is Jesus! Silly billy!

Casshen
The Sentry is Marvels new jesus

TricksterPriest
There are soooooo many ways I can spin that. shifty I mean, surely if Jesus/Sentry was the son of god, he would be able to actually live up to his hype and do SOMETHING. big grin

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
There are soooooo many ways I can spin that. shifty I mean, surely if Jesus/Sentry was the son of god, he would be able to actually live up to his hype and do SOMETHING. big grin

actually both really didnt live up to their potential, it was mostly hyperbole for them both. big grin

Casshen
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
actually both really didnt live up to their potential, it was mostly hyperbole for them both. big grin

Exacta.

No but seriously Sentry has something big coming for him, just like Jesus in his second coming.

Disappear
isn't marvel jesus just regular jesus? in the hawkeye mini 'the high, hard shaft" or whatever it was called, hawkeye discovers a military group that found evidence of jesus having travelled to vietnam to spread the gospel. i understand the topic being narrative parallels, and not a literal "who's jesus?" but i figured it was worth a mention. good story, that one.

Endless Mike
Um, hello, people?

Aquarian?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/Wundarr_the_Aquarian.png

ExodusCloak
Jean Grey was meant to be IRRC. As was Rachel Grey who is the daughter of the Phoenix and Jean apparently. I think Claremont actually stated it in one of his interviews.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.