Zombie Horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Placidity
So yea, recently I've been really into Zombie horror movies, more specifically, Zombie Survival (or similar) types.

It pretty much started after I read 'Zombie Survival Guide' and 'World War Z' (which they might be making a movie on soon), both excellent books by Max Brooks, and highly regarded. I recommend people to read it if you are interested. I actually listened to the audiobook, better than reading I think big grin

Anyway, here are a few of the ones I've watched and how I rank them...

1. 28 Days Later
2. Dawn of The Dead
3. I Am Legend
4. Quarantine
5. 28 Weeks Later
6. Resident Evil

The rest I've seen not really worth mentioning...

List your top Zombie movies and reccomend me the good ones!

MildPossession
Did you fail to see the HORROR section... and I can't believe you put Quarantine in your list over the original .

Placidity
Originally posted by MildPossession
Did you fail to see the HORROR section... and I can't believe you put Quarantine in your list over the original .

Well I only recently got into this genre, so I only watched the newer films.

Oops, I just checked and there is a horror section. But seriously, they're probably freaks there. I feel safer discussing it here stick out tongue

Impediment
I'll move it to the Horror Forum.

lil bitchiness
I hated I Am Legend.
This could easily be the worst book-movie I have EVER seen. If it wanted to work on similar idea as I am Legend, it should not have called itself that.

It was terribleee.

BackFire
Hi Placidity.

It's great that you're getting into the zombie subgenre, it's probably my favorite in the entire horror genre. I'd definitely recommend that you begin watching older zombie films, they are by far the best ones. Out of the ones you listed really only 28 Days Later is anything special.

So, here's the ones I recommend for you.

The original Night of the Living Dead should be the first one you see, since it more or less created the archetype that all modern zombie films follow. It's also one of the best zombie films, nay, horror films, in existence. Extraordinarily important. See it asap.

Of course the original Dawn of the Dead. Arguably the best zombie film ever made. Then see Day of the Dead.

Also check out Return of the Living Dead. It's a very funny and silly zombie movie, but it's excellent. Also some of Fulci's work is great - Zombi 2 (Sometimes known simply as 'Zombie') and The Beyond.

Some more obscure ones that are worth seeing are Cemetery Man and Dead Alive.

There are many others but these should get your foot in the door. Enjoy.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by Placidity
But seriously, they're probably freaks there. I feel safer discussing it here stick out tongue

**** your life

http://i42.tinypic.com/2uppurt.jpg

MildPossession
Ha ha, you have no choice now! stick out tongue

I recommend , even though you now know the ending thanks to the inferior remake. And once you have seen it, swap it in your list and delete Quarantine. smile I say so. Oh and I Am Legend, delete delete. stick out tongue

I recommend you read the actual book I Am Legend. Not even zombies, from what I remember of the book they were closer to vampires.

lil bitchiness
Ha ha, you have no choice now! stick out tongue

I recommend , even though you now know the ending thanks to the inferior remake. And once you have seen it, swap it in your list and delete Quarantine. smile I say so. Oh and I Am Legend, delete delete. stick out tongue

I recommend you read the actual book I Am Legend. Not even zombies, from what I remember of the book they were closer to vampires.
It was vampires indeed.

God, I just love the book, the crushing burden of loneliness and desperation and final realisation that you have become what you were trying to fight - a scary thing in the ''day'' that kills indiscriminately.

''Brush your fangs, junior, or Neville will come and get you in your sleep!''

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I hated I Am Legend.
This could easily be the worst book-movie I have EVER seen. If it wanted to work on similar idea as I am Legend, it should not have called itself that.

It was terribleee.

i agree

deathbycorn
Dead Snow
Undead
Re-Animator
Boy Eats Girl
Slither

MildPossession
So you have seen Dead Snow already? what's it like? It's not out here, or America, or Australia yet.

Boy Eats Girl is terrible though.

Topic starter, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the British spoof Horror/Comedy Shaun of the Dead, it's good.

D-Wag
Yea I loved Shaun of the Dead. I havn't seen the orignal Dawn of the Dead, but loved the newer version and heard that they might be doing a Dawn of the Dead 2...

MildPossession
I thought the Dawn of the Dead 'remake' was rather good too, as long as the next one isn't like the Day of the Dead remake, that was just horrendous.

deathbycorn
So you have seen Dead Snow already? what's it like? It's not out here, or America, or Australia yet.

Boy Eats Girl is terrible though.

Topic starter, if you haven't seen it yet, check out the British spoof Horror/Comedy Shaun of the Dead, it's good.

I've posted my thoughts on Dead Snow here before; its got some moments of pure greatness.

Not out? That's why people invented torrent sites.

Boy Eats Girl is fun.

Kris Blaze

lil bitchiness

MildPossession
Yeah I know it's has been out in Norway for some time, but outside of Norway it is hardly showing anywhere yet.

Thought so. I'm not a fan of illegal film downloading/streaming, so I haven't seen it yet. Will have to wait till it's out on DVD in another country if it's not out here before.

deathbycorn
Dead Snow is playing here on Sunday as part of the Sydney Film Festival.

So it is playing around the world, you just have to keep an eye out.

I'd rather download and watch movies before the hype.

MildPossession
That's a film festival yes, I'm talking an actual cinema release/dvd release, not all can get to film festivals where films you want to see are playing. Are you going to the Sydney Film Festival then?

I'd rather see a 100% quality film than a download. Hype or no hype.

Placidity
I thought the Dawn of the Dead 'remake' was rather good too, as long as the next one isn't like the Day of the Dead remake, that was just horrendous.

Yea, DotD was pretty good, but not really the best or close to it. The problem is theres not alot of options out there.

I mean alot of oldies have been suggested, but I just worry they look fake due to outdated tech?

I'm also after specifically survival types. DotD is a perfect example.

deathbycorn
That's a film festival yes, I'm talking an actual cinema release/dvd release, not all can get to film festivals where films you want to see are playing. Are you going to the Sydney Film Festival then?

I'd rather see a 100% quality film than a download. Hype or no hype.

No I'm not.

I have a 1080p projector and a 100" screen and a upscaling DVD player so when I downloaded a DVDrip of Dead Snow in DivX format and watched it on my "big-screen" the quality was fine. Just as good as a DVD. And a better atmosphere at my home then at the cinemas.

I'd rather make my own opinion on films (like Martyrs) than jump on the bandwagon cause everyone else says its a good movie.

MildPossession
Well that's good, I hope most are like that on here, I make my own opinions on films too.

I hope that wasn't a negative directed at me, excusing me of jumping on the bandwagon for saying Martyrs is good? I've liked Martyrs ever since it first came out in France on dvd, before most critics gave their opinion on the film here in this country.

MildPossession
You could have a look in some of the topics on French Horror, there is one topic somewhere in the Horror section about upcoming French films and some look like decent Zombie films.

ThreadKiller
So yea, recently I've been really into Zombie horror movies, more specifically, Zombie Survival (or similar) types.

It pretty much started after I read 'Zombie Survival Guide' and 'World War Z' (which they might be making a movie on soon), both excellent books by Max Brooks, and highly regarded. I recommend people to read it if you are interested. I actually listened to the audiobook, better than reading I think big grin

1. 28 Days Later
2. Dawn of The Dead
3. I Am Legend
4. Quarantine
5. 28 Weeks Later
6. Resident Evil

I am drawn more and more to the "Zombie Survival" theme now as well. DOTD has always been my favorite horror flick but it it 30+ years old. I hope 28DL and WL can spawn a rebirth of quality movies in this genre? I just watched Resident Evil and I enjoyed it greatly. Lots of kick ass fun. I liked that the people were portayed as competent and exerted themselves instead of the usual lame and irrational behavior that horror movies feel they have to show the victims in.

MildPossession
What did you think of Resident Evil 2 and 3?

NazzGORE
hey im really into horror films especially zombie films and i heard a while back that there is acctually a virus that kills off all other instincts and you are left with just two basic ones:-

KILL
EAT

its acctually real!!!

sorry im new and i give useless info!!
but hey anyways!!

smile)

MildPossession
Urgh, sounds awful. Never heard of something like that, I'm sure it's VERYYYYYYYYYY rare. stick out tongue Welcome.

Badabing
I just picked this movie up. Scared the heck out of me when I was a kid. shocklaugh Has a lot of gore too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/

3thbT3wq7JE&feature=related

snuff hunter

1. 28 Days Later
2. Dawn of The Dead
3. I Am Legend
4. Quarantine
5. 28 Weeks Later
6. Resident Evil

when will people learn that 28 days and weeks later are NOT zombie films,
1- zombies are the livind dead,, people in 28 days never died, they got infected witha rage virus, so its more like a mad cannibal film

here's my fav zombie films

dawn of the dead (orginal, not the crap remake)
zombie flesh-eaters
zombie creeping flesh
versus
zombie holocaust
day of the dead
junk
bio-zombie
automaton transfusion

wicker_man
I to love the zombie franchise, and like so many on here I can't recommend the original Dawn of the Dead enough, the remake ain't half bad either but for the granddaddy of 'em all try the original, but hell any of George.A.Romero's zombie films are worth your time (inc. the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead) most zombie movies are about survivals in some form or another but I think I know what you mean so I also recommend:

Undead
Zombie Diaries
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
& Dead Meat

There are literally hundreds of zombie films out there, ranging from the great, the good and the downright bad - but hell when it comes to zombie movies who cares if they have the production value of a play.

snuff hunter
its another none horror fan, above me, saying 28 days, weeks is a zombie film,,

it just makes me pisses my boxers that they say it is,

Pamela12
well to me Devil's advocate,mirrors and resident Evil are really horror movies

wicker_man
I recommend (I know many have been put on here already, but there's no harming in beefing 'em up some more):

Dawn of the Dead (1974) * although the remake ain't half bad
Night of the Living Dead * again the remake is worth a look
Day of the Dead * AVOID the remake
Zombie Holocaust
Zombie Creeping Flesh 1,2 & 3
The Blind Dead saga
King of the Zombies (Hammer Horror Classic)
Zombie Diaries
28 Days/Weeks Later * although this is a grey area as to whether or not this is actually a zombie film(s)
and for 'shits and giggles' I'd recommend Return of the Living Dead Part 2.

Placidity
I recently watched one called "Zombies! Zombies! Zombies!". It was lol.

Anyone seen this laughing ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.