Film Scores!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
There was a thread similar to this in the music section a while back, but I wanted to start one here, and I also wanted to limit it to film SCORES, not soundtracks.

So, what film scores please your ears?

Who are some of your favorite composers?

How does said music make you feel?

How important is the music in a film to you?

Me, I'm a big fan of movie music, I have a decent amount on my iPod. I just obtained a bunch of Ennio Morricone music (the guy who scored most of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns); it's pretty epic, makes me feel like I should ride into a town full of outlaws and dispose of them.

So, have at it, what/who do you like and why?

darthmaul1
Star wars, predator, aliens, star trek, lord of the rings, batman dark knight, transformers to name a few

John williams, jerry goldsmith, hans zimmer, howard shore, james horner, danny elfman, steve jablonsky and alan sylverstri

The music can make you feel happy, sad or get you pumped up.
the music in a movie is very important as it sets the whole mood and gets you into the film, if the movie sucks it could be because the music was crap.
The people at my work think i'm nuts cause thats all i listen to. it's great cause if things get slow you can picture whats going on in the movie at that moment.
was a little disapointed with the 3 scores of movies that came out so far this year wolverine, star trek and terminator. they weren't very good and too short 40 minutes and that is all. terminator could of been better had they put the theme in.
I am really looking forward to the GI JOE score by alan sylvestri he can compose military themes very well, just listen to predator, predator 2, and the abyss

jaden101
As I said in that mentioned thread...The score for "Sunshine" is tremendous...As is Schindler's list.

I don't really have a favourite composer as such though.

Also listening a lot to Ludavico Einaudi who does a couple of piano pieces in "This is England"

Have a listen.

X8fprSH8Eik&feature=related

R8MzHqkNBwo

jinXed by JaNx
The Gladiator soundtrack is my ultimate pick. that is the one i turn to when i am writing or need to get into a creative mood. I'd also have to agree with the above post when listing Aliens. Music is one of the most important aspects of a film, to me.

Sountracks

Gladiator
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Total recal
Terminator
Conan
King Arthur
Lion King
Aliens
The Boxer
In america

Those are the ones i own

As for favorite composers it's definitely the same top guys. Williams, Horner, Zimmer, Elfman

K.Canton
Originally posted by jaden101
As I said in that mentioned thread...The score for "Sunshine" is tremendous...http://www.tracker-analytics.com/track/img/3358/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif

I agree, and I'm also quite a fan of the Terminator 2 score; it's excellent, and fits the mood perfectly.

dadudemon
This may seem strange but I liked the soundtrack to A Beautiful Mind. I also like the alternate take on the soundtrack by that group of asian ladies. (Not sure what their group's name is...but it was very beautiful.)

Here's a take on one of the songs:

M3o9DyqRkro

I'm in agreement with everything everyone has listed in this thread. All the soundtracks listed are great...Except for Total Recall as I totally don't recall it. lol, did you see what I did there? dur

I also like this:

bz5mIoriLfs NOt a beautiful mind...but good. Whatever the song is, is great.

Scythe
I'd go with the score for Rocketeer, Star Wars, Transformers, Indiana Jones, Advent Children, Fantasia, and Terminator 2.

Rogue Jedi
Star Wars of course. Braveheart, Legends of the Fall (Best ever), Boondock Saints.

Placidity
Some memorable ones for me...

- The Bourne Trilogy
- Jaws (Pretty much Legendary)
- Star Wars (Really only 'The Force' and 'Vader's' theme)
- Terminator
- Batman Begins/TDK
- Original Batman Theme
- James Bond
- Some LOTR was OK
- The Matrix Trilogy

Not a movie score, but one of my top favorites are from the scores of the Hitman series by Jesper Kyd.

Heres a sample...

mQlkg6cC4aQ

Really pumps you up when playing a mission big grin

Also this one...

Kp7ECf_fph8

I was mesmerized the first time I played Hitman 2 on PC. This track and image was on the front menu. Him looking badass with the two silver ballers and this track was epic.

Rogue Jedi
Last of the Mohicans.

MildPossession
Great film and fantastic music to go with it, fan of the score in This Is England.

It's a remix of the score from Requiem For A Dream by Clint Mansell, the piece is called Requiem For A Tower. I adore the piece, used in A LOT of trailers in film and on television. It's on my mp3 player. smile

Check this out, it's a new group here in Britain called Escala, they did a version of Requiem For A Tower on their debut album, it's all string instruments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxTV4y9tD6s

Placidity
I missed out:

- The Karate Kid
- Mission Impossible

SnakeEyes
One I really like:

Clint Mansell - The Fountain: absolutely great score. Very atmospheric, original, and overall pretty sad music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7c6ofMdYl8

theDiReW0lf
Lebowski, obv. Good call on Last of Mohicans, such a perfect score.

AverageSavage
Akira and Oldboy are some of my favorites. Especially Akira, which might be my all time fav when it comes to movie scores. Blade Runner also has an incredible score.

sheila143
latest Slumdog Millioniar is great,then
Terminator
Conan
King Arthur
Lion King
Aliens
The Boxer
In america

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.