What would happen if LOTR and Star Wars switched directors?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dejio
What would happen if LOTR and Star Wars switched directors for both of the movie's third installment?
An easy question actually. just wanna hear your comments. big grin

Dexx
oh..lotr wouldn't turn up toot good. good thing it's finished already, unlike ep. III

master harmax
Yeah ... and star wars episode 3 would turn out great.

Ushgarak
Episode III would lack inventiveness. Folly to compare the work involved with a film-designed story and the filming of a novel. GL's writing and directing are so intertwined as to be impossible to seperate now.

I have no idea what would happen to ROTK but I imagine it would have a THX-1138 feel to it.

queeq
Or a PT feel: lots of CGI and uneven storytelling.

finti
weird in other words

Fire
I agree with queeq

Kane_Starkiller
Episode 3 would be called "The Return of the... (Jedi?)... Dark Side" and would be a wonderful, epic adventure with characters that make really profound statements before they battle any Clonetroopers, and whenever Anakin and Padme have any romantic moments, the music would become really celtic-inspired featuring vocals from Enya. And the film would culminate with Count Dooku, who seems to have become completely consumed by the emperor's power, would battle it out with Jedi spy Ian McKellen, before the Emperor was finally destroyed when Anakin droped his lightsaber into the lava-filled cracks of Coruscant from whence it came.

And ROTK would be re-named "Lord of the Rings: Episode 3. Return of the King" (Originally called Revenge of the King) which would be much more CGI-based than the other 2 movies, including completely CGI characters, worlds, and every scene (even the one's that don't really need CGI) would have an orc or an Ent walk by in the background. The movie would end with Aragorn facing Sauron at last having been visited by the spirit of Boromir who told him to 'use the force.' and striking him down (although in the special edition, Sauron will strike first!). Fans will be pleased to read the credits, which comically list Gollum as being played by 'himself'!

Fire
lol nice going

Dejio
LOL.
Kane_Starkiller, that was the most detailed reply we got. It leaves nothing else for the imagination. big grin
Hmm?..Isn't it wierd that Christopher Lee plays the 2nd top bad-@$$ huncho for both films?

Ushgarak
Need old, powerful bad guy with great screen presence... hmm... (looks in book)

Chris Lee!

master harmax
I saw the two towers ... and its absolutely awesome. To put it bluntly, it was MUCH more enjoyable than SW ep.2; the things is, the story is powerful and deep for both the movies .... the difference is, in the case of the two towers, emphasis has been placed on the story and the characters, and the CGI, SFX are used in a role supportive to that ...i.e. they are used as the means NOT the end .... whereas in the case of ep.2, although the story line and characters bore lots of potential and depth, the makers have focussed their energy primarily on the visual and aural " eye / ear candy " part, and havent seemed to have spent enough energy or attention on developing the storyline and the characters, which as I said had lots of potential ... the graphics etc. became the end not the means ... as a result the movie suffered ... the acting except for Christopher Lee and Ewan McGregor was banal ... and the story, which had so much "meat" in it was left " half cooked " so to speak. That left me with a dissatisfied feeling .... I saw ep.2 4 times in the theatre anyway, but that's because I love Star Wars. It could and should have been much better.

The Two Towers was magnificent. From the opening shot to the end ... I was completely engrossed. The battle for Helms Deep - that stuff is unreal man. I dont think there has been any battle filmed like that on screen before.

Mujaffa
this would have happened...(i have not read any of the upper posts)!

all swords man would have lightsabers, and the nasgul would be flying around in tie-fighters and star destroyers... in star wars... a death ring(not death star) that makes planets disapear. luke and han would have been flying around on horses!

PeekaReet
Aragorn, I am your father!

noooooo!

hehe...has anyone seen the articule about "Jar Jarimir"? PJ has added a new character.

"Gondor's gonna fallsa!"
oh man.....ROTK would turn out lame if Lucus took over and Episode 3 would rock!

GordonSkywalker
An interesting idea! Switch directors for each series' final installments and see what we get? As I have not seen Lord of the Rings, I don't know how good the first two entries actually are. Perhaps someone could enlighten me??

Member.
lol, dont wanna know.

Captain REX
About the LOTR films? They were excellent. I rest my case. big grin

Smodden
WoW I just saw this thread. It's really good.

Lets think about this for a second...
George Lucas is about to begin pre-production on Episode III of star wars: Revenge of the Sith
Peter Jackson is about to continue filming in New Zealand and finish Return of the King.
NEW LINE fires Pj! and calls in Lucas to finish the trilogy....Lucas refuses at first because he says he has to finish his own movie...but then has an idea! Lucas calls Pj and tells him to take the seat as director of his film(Star Wars)so now
PJ is at 20th Century fox Directing Star Wars Revenge of the Sith
and
George Lucas is Directing LOTR Return of the King!

What would happen? Ok would other big things change also? like would PJ also bring WETA with him for SW? would Lucas bring THX and His Lucas People to work on LOTR?

Ok because the stories are prety much set, I don't think there would be to many script changes.
LOTR:
I think there would be lots more uber-cool sound effects and stylized lighting.
The Mount Doom sequence (as well as many other scenes) in my opinion would lack any emotion, and would be much different.

SW
Andy Serkis would play ALL the CG characters!

thats all I can think of right now.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.