Shutter Island

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Looking forward to this; it's the new Scorsese/DiCaprio film due out this year.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/shutterisland/

Trailer^

The preview got me much more pumped for this.

Röland
This looks very good, thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard of it till now.

jaden101
Yeah I've been looking forward to this since it was 1st announced...

dadudemon
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah I've been looking forward to this since it was 1st announced... I've been looking forward to this since before it was announced. HA! laughing

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon
I've been looking forward to this since before it was announced. HA! laughing

Well then i've been looking forward to it since before the book was written so PRRRRRRRP

MildPossession
I always look forwards to a Scorsese film, especially films with a psychiatric hospital/hospital for the criminally insane element. Also a big fan of Patricia Clarkson, noticed she is in it.

This film, I like the look of A LOT!!

Has anyone read the book it's based on? from the writer of Mystic River, and Gone Baby Gone, the latter was a brilliant film.

As for Shutter Island, apparently some who have read the book think the twist lets down the rest of the story, it's very predictable apparently. Can someone who has read the book clear this up?

omgchos
It looks good and all but the premise has been done, maybe not specifically a marshal that gets fed psychotropic drugs, but none the less. They don't quite let you know whether or not this place is haunted or if it's all in his head. If its his head than it has definitely been done. I might go see it but it better keep me guessing and have a major twist at the end.

dadudemon
Well then i've been looking forward to it since before the book was written so PRRRRRRRP

NOPE! Can't back track. You already said after it was first announced. "Cannot, triple stamp, no erasies, Touch blue make it true.
...you can't triple stamp a double stamp."

But if you want to go that far, I was looking forward to this before you. smile

HA! laughing

jaden101
Well then i'm looking forward to it MORE than you. laughing

And here's some evidence of me looking forward to it.

From April this year

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11800574&highlight=Shutter+island#post11800574

From March LAST year

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10351338&highlight=Shutter+island#post10351338

BruceSkywalker
I will see this

dadudemon
Well then i'm looking forward to it MORE than you. laughing

And here's some evidence of me looking forward to it.

From April this year

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11800574&highlight=Shutter+island#post11800574

From March LAST year

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10351338&highlight=Shutter+island#post10351338

lol

Pwned.

Kovacs86
Pretty good book. Scorsese's a genius, though, so I'm expecting this to be a bloody great film. Loved the atmosphere in the trailer. Maybe shouldn't have revealed so much, though.

MildPossession
Since you have read the book, could you answer my question above?

forumcrew
So does Scorsese just tell Leo hey I have a new movie we start filming on such and such date and its done? Or you think Leo actually looks into them first lol.

saintsaucey
I'm not sure I under stood the question but I have read the book and massive spoilers are to be revield below.

The set up is Marshall Teddy Daniels and his brand new partner that he meets on the boat to the island are on going there to investigate a missing paitent. Upon there they find that a Doctor has gone on vactation right before they got there. Teddy confesses to his new partner that there is a couple other reasons he is there. One is to confront the man who burned down his appartment and killed his(teddy's) wife. The other reason is to investigate rumors of barbaric experiments performed on paitents. What is really going on is that Teddy is actually a paitent there at the island and this whole investigation is an attempt to break him out of this dilusion he has fallen into since he shot his wife after she drowned their two kids years before. The missing doctor is actually teddies partner. According to the end of the book it doesn't work and presumably Teddy is labotamized

MildPossession
^ Oh dear, that's what I got from the trailer...

Kovacs86
Nice spoiler tags...

The twist is OK. It's a little bit anticlimactic after a really enjoyable mystery.

Robtard
Just watched the trailer, gave me a mild boner.

saintsaucey
sorry couldn't get them to work. thanks mod for fixing it

Will44
Originally posted by saintsaucey
I'm not sure I under stood the question but I have read the book and massive spoilers are to be revield below.

The set up is Marshall Teddy Daniels and his brand new partner that he meets on the boat to the island are on going there to investigate a missing paitent. Upon there they find that a Doctor has gone on vactation right before they got there. Teddy confesses to his new partner that there is a couple other reasons he is there. One is to confront the man who burned down his appartment and killed his(teddy's) wife. The other reason is to investigate rumors of barbaric experiments performed on paitents. What is really going on is that Teddy is actually a paitent there at the island and this whole investigation is an attempt to break him out of this dilusion he has fallen into since he shot his wife after she drowned their two kids years before. The missing doctor is actually teddies partner. According to the end of the book it doesn't work and presumably Teddy is labotamized

blech, sounds lame.

sheila143
This is looks very good, thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard of it till now.hope it will be good

KidRock
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_Island_%28film%29

Directed by Martin Scorsese and staring Leo Dicaprio. Based on the book Shutter Island.

Looks really good to me, this is definitely one I think I am going to watch then run out and read.

Wow, I actually just read it was pushed back from October 2nd to Mid-February of next year..lame.

MildPossession
Shame, I've been looking forwards to it. The book is excellent, so really like to see how they have put it onto film. Going by the trailer it looks similar, no big changes.

But, already a topic on it:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=510226&highlight=shutter+island+forumid%3A2

MildPossession
I've read the book, and I'm happy with the end of it, so hopefully they will keep it in the film.

SnakeEyes
I'm pissed that this movie got delayed. I was really looking forward to seeing it a lot sooner.

SnakeEyes
Just got back from seeing this; really dug it. Sure the reveal is slightly anticlimactic, but the the last line/moment in the film kind of redeems it imo. And the fact that the whole movie looks completely gorgeous, the acting is great all across the board, the atmosphere is almost tangible. Really a fun, disturbing, enjoyable movie. Best 2010 film I've seen thus far.

jaden101
Interesting that it has a unique visual style because that's not something I usually associate with Scorcese. He uses unique camera techniques but usually avoids stylistic visuals. I've never read the book though so don't know if that's a reflection of it.

Still can't wait to see it though.

K.Diddy
smile Hate to be the one to spoil the party......but from what K.Diddy has heard and read....it's meant to suck balls......I will see it anyway though,when it comes out on dvd

SnakeEyes
It certainly does NOT suck balls. You're missing out, it's a really enjoyable movie.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
It certainly does NOT suck balls. You're missing out, it's a really enjoyable movie.

smile I'm only repeating What I have heard,so dont hold it against me,when I eventually see it, I will revive the thread and give my own opinion

super pr*xy
totally enjoyed this movie. never reading the book before watching this is probably a plus.

BackFire
Yeah movie wasn't bad. Ending was goofy, didn't help that I guessed it at the beginning of the movie half in jest. Still enjoyable, though.

SnakeEyes
I can't really think of any other way they could've ended it. The "twist" kind of justified everything that preceded it, but yeah it was a tad predictable. Anyway, like I said, the last moment in the film AFTER the twist is what solidified this as a quality flick for me.

MildPossession
From the sound of the plot of the film, they have changed it slightly compared to the ending of the book. Book is worth reading.

The twist is still the same though, just after it.

siriuswriter
scorcese/dicaprio that's not organized crime?

makes the film interesting already. and dicaprio's charrie, even from the trailer alone, looks very different from most of his roles to date...

definite dvd rental for me.

BruceSkywalker
just got back from seeing this.. i was disappointed , it was too easy to figure out.. here's hoping inception is much better

MildPossession
Inception is directed by someone else.

jaden101
Originally posted by siriuswriter
scorcese/dicaprio that's not organized crime?

The Aviator?

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by MildPossession
Inception is directed by someone else.

I'm thinking MAYBE he's linking the two because they both star DiCaprio? erm

But yeah it doesn't make much sense, Shutter Island and Inception are undoubtedly going to be much different films and like MP said, by different directors.

BruceSkywalker
I'm thinking MAYBE he's linking the two because they both star DiCaprio? erm

But yeah it doesn't make much sense, Shutter Island and Inception are undoubtedly going to be much different films and like MP said, by different directors.

it makes perfect sense to me as I did not care much for Shutter Island but I hope that Inception which is a much better film

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
just got back from seeing this.. i was disappointed , it was too easy to figure out.. here's hoping inception is much better

Ahhhh shit...

That's disappointing. It looked good. sad

The wife still wants to see it, though.

SnakeEyes
Yeah because Bruce is the best guy to gauge you're opinion. Well maybe for you he actually is...

dadudemon
Yeah because Bruce is the best guy to gauge you're opinion. Well maybe for you he actually is...

Correct.

Bruce's opinions of films are significantly better than yours, even if they are brief in these threads. I highly doubt he likes that rather stupid and "loaded with so many scientific inaccuracies" sci-fi film, Moon (Not to mention the plot holes and plot failures of Moon.) But, you liked it, and probably thought GI Joe was stupid. He didn't. I'll probably like JI Joe when I see it, and I still don't like Moon very much.

Tired-Hiker
Correct.

Bruce's opinions of films are significantly better than yours, even if they are brief in these threads. I highly doubt he likes that rather stupid and "loaded with so many scientific inaccuracies" sci-fi film, Moon (Not to mention the plot holes and plot failures of Moon.) But, you liked it, and probably thought GI Joe was stupid. He didn't. I'll probably like JI Joe when I see it, and I still don't like Moon very much.

What were the innaccuracies of Moon? Do tell?

SnakeEyes
Correct.

Yeahhhhh...

So because I liked Moon and Bruce liked G.I. Joe/according to you wouldn't like Moon, his opinions are "significantly better"? Okay...

Usually you're at least good at BS'ing an argument. This was just god-awful.

And fyi, I haven't seen, nor do I have any interest in seeing, G.I. Joe.

dadudemon
Yeahhhhh...

So because I liked Moon and Bruce liked G.I. Joe/according to you wouldn't like Moon, his opinions are "significantly better"? Okay...

No, that wasn't the point at all. facepalm

In fact, you missed it, completely.

Usually you're at least good at BS'ing an argument. This was just god-awful.

And fyi, I haven't seen, nor do I have any interest in seeing, G.I. Joe.

Dude...

In order to knock my "argument" you needed to understand it, first. erm

Let's recap: You made fun of me by making fun of Bruce's opinion of movies because it was obvious that I was taking his advice.

So, I retorted with the same exact logic (which does not run parallel to my actual opinion on how these things should be gauged) and glibness that you did. As apparent by multiple posts in this forum, I think it's opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Here was the actual points of my post:

1. Defend Bruce. (Check.)

2. Illustrate to you that your opinion can be viewed as shit, just the same as you obviously view Bruce's. (Check.)

3. Show you that being stuck-up about your movie opinion can back-fire on you. (I failed here...you didn't get that I was turning your glibness right back at you.)

Capisce?

SnakeEyes
You failed.

no expression

dadudemon
You failed.

no expression

Only because you failed to understand.

no expression

That means I win.

BackFire
The movie is worth seeing. Even if the ending isn't great or all that creative. The rest is pretty sound and interesting.

Ms.Marvel
you two are funny laughing out loud

im gonna side with DDM though 'cause snakeeys does have ahabit of shoving his movie opinions that no one cares about on us all no expression

NemeBro
To be fair.

I generally judge whether or not I will see a movie based on Bruce, in that if he hated it, I go see it.

no expression

jaden101
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

im gonna side with DDM though 'cause snakeeys does have ahabit of shoving his movie opinions that no one cares about on us all no expression

We're in a forum for discussing our opinions about movies. If you somehow find this wrong then it's probably best you don't bother coming back.

NemeBro
Lawl.

Kelly_Bean
This movie, imo, was an absolute waste of time and money.

Ms.Marvel
We're in a forum for discussing our opinions about movies. If you somehow find this wrong then it's probably best you don't bother coming back.

did i... did i say that? no expression

NemeBro
Kinda.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
The movie is worth seeing. Even if the ending isn't great or all that creative. The rest is pretty sound and interesting.

hmm

Based on what you and Bruce are saying, I'll probably enjoy some of it but, like you, be disappointed with the end.

Originally posted by Ms.Marvel

embarrasment

Sorry, I sometimes get carried away.

Oh, and...exactly. smokin'

Indeed. We should discuss away. However, we shouldn't tell others what their opinions should and shouldn't be.

NemeBro
B-but Bruce's opinion is WRONG!!! dur

dadudemon
Originally posted by NemeBro
B-but Bruce's opinion is WRONG!!! dur
How DARE you! mad mad mad mad

SnakeEyes
Yeah. Bruce is wrong.

But really, people should just see the movie themselves and form their own opinions on it. Obviously, I thought it was worth seeing, others didn't; but I've yet to hear a compelling reason as to why people didn't like it.

jaden101

Indeed. We should discuss away. However, we shouldn't tell others what their opinions should and shouldn't be.

The prevailing train of thought seems to be more like "You can voice your opinion but only so long as it agrees with mine" otherwise it's deemed as shoving your opinion that noone cares about on others.

I'd challenge anyone to go on to SnakeEyes profile and argue that his list of favourite films is evidence of bad taste. I only disagreed with a handful of them (mostly geared around comedy with the occasional other genre)

Even the ones I don't agree with are still far better GI Joe.

Then there's the fact that Martin Scorcese could film himself taking a dump and it'd still be far superior to anything Stephen Sommers has done...His only redeeming film being Deep Rising for sheer absurd entertainment (Woman being pulled down the toilet...half digested man).

NemeBro
He has Toy Story and Iron Giant listed.

He obviously has taste.

jaden101
Originally posted by NemeBro
He has Toy Story and Iron Giant listed.

He obviously has taste.

Toy Story is regarded is one of the best modern animated movies and paved the way for the entire modern method and style of computer generated animation. A 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 92 on metacritic is testament to it.

A 97% and and 85% rating for Iron Giant on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic show how it is regarded.

Oddly enough...What did GI Joe get? (seeing as it's being used in this thread)...36% on Rotten Tomatoes and 32% on Metacritic....Nice.

Even Shutter Island is getting in the 60s

I'd also say the fact that he mentions the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Raging Bull, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, Reservoir Dogs, The Deer Hunter and many of the other films that are considered among the best ever made make a strong case for him having better taste than most of the people who've chimed in in this thread so far.

MildPossession
Does Patricia Clarkson have a big role in this? or is she the woman Dicaprio's character sees hiding out in the island ? I'm going by the book.

RocasAtoll
No. The spoiler is correct.

I liked it. The ending was so-so. Made me angry at first, but as they fleshed it out I came to terms with it.

SnakeEyes
Toy Story is regarded is one of the best modern animated movies and paved the way for the entire modern method and style of computer generated animation. A 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 92 on metacritic is testament to it.

A 97% and and 85% rating for Iron Giant on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic show how it is regarded.

Oddly enough...What did GI Joe get? (seeing as it's being used in this thread)...36% on Rotten Tomatoes and 32% on Metacritic....Nice.

Even Shutter Island is getting in the 60s

I'd also say the fact that he mentions the Shining, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Raging Bull, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, Reservoir Dogs, The Deer Hunter and many of the other films that are considered among the best ever made make a strong case for him having better taste than most of the people who've chimed in in this thread so far.

Thanks for the support, man. It warms my heart and it saved me some typing-time!

As for the movie, I'm thinking about seeing it again. Anyone else get a chance to see it?

Spartan005
Just got back from seeing this. Unfortunately I had the movie spoiled to me thanks to a jerk on youtube but I still found it to be quite enjoyable. I'd give it a 9/10

And on a side note, I've never been more disturbed while watching a movie. Some parts were brutal.... like damnn.

Myth
I really liked this film. The visuals and soundtrack were great, as was the acting. You could predict the ending for the most part, but it was still cool seeing the way things developed. The final scene though was really a jaw dropper though IMO. That scene was just so powerful.

roughrider
I liked it, but it's probably going to be one of those polarizing films, where you either buy it or you don't. Scorsese could have tighted up the editing on those long dream sequences, too. I was feeling impatient with the movie's pace at times.

dadudemon
The prevailing train of thought seems to be more like "You can voice your opinion but only so long as it agrees with mine" otherwise it's deemed as shoving your opinion that noone cares about on others.

I'd challenge anyone to go on to SnakeEyes profile and argue that his list of favourite films is evidence of bad taste. I only disagreed with a handful of them (mostly geared around comedy with the occasional other genre)

Even the ones I don't agree with are still far better GI Joe.

Then there's the fact that Martin Scorcese could film himself taking a dump and it'd still be far superior to anything Stephen Sommers has done...His only redeeming film being Deep Rising for sheer absurd entertainment (Woman being pulled down the toilet...half digested man).

He posted this:

Yeah. Bruce is wrong.

That's pretty retarded.

And what you call good taste is simply you agreeing with him, not an objective measure of good taste. argumentum ad populum?

Alpha Centauri
No taste is wrong or right.

With that said, Bruce likes Twilight, New Moon and G.I. Joe. Many people on this forum consider him to be a paragon of bad taste (Even if that's just opinion).

I'm definitely going to side with almost anyone's opinion over someone who likes those movies. I find it odd, Dudemon, reall. For someone so critical of filmmaking sins you sure do like some trash. That's MY opinion, though, and that's what SnakeEyes was saying. Maybe Bruce is someone you should be listening to.

-AC

jaden101
He posted this:

That's pretty retarded.

And what you call good taste is simply you agreeing with him, not an objective measure of good taste. argumentum ad populum?

Seems my opinion of the situation is in the minority so how that can be argumentum ad populum is beyond me.

Of course, you're likely referring to the prevailing opinion that the films in SE's list are considered better than GI Joe...Consider that argumentum ad populum if you like but it isn't a logical fallacy because it's subjective. It's a matter of taste, as you say.

You can, however, put some degree of objectivity into it by having different sources grade the film and get a meta-analysis of it (as metacritic and rotten tomatoes do).

Of course, if you want to argue that the scores in which they are based are skewed by argumentum ad populum then be my guest but the onus would be on you to back up that claim which would be nigh on impossible to do anyway.

Robtard
I took the Pepsi-challenge, Snakeeyes has a solid taste in movies, I agree with 90% of them. Disregarding the ones I haven't watched.

Bruce didn't really have a list, but GI Joe and Twilight blow. Think we're on the opposite ends of the movie spectrum.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire

Ah good. If I happen to know the twist (read it long ago), will that turn the movie into shit for me?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
No taste is wrong or right.

With that said, Bruce likes Twilight, New Moon and G.I. Joe. Many people on this forum consider him to be a paragon of bad taste (Even if that's just opinion).

Cool. I know that, but he also likes some of the same films that everyone, including critics, likes. To me, it's the ups and downs of why there are differences of opinion.

I'm definitely going to side with almost anyone's opinion over someone who likes those movies. I find it odd, Dudemon, reall. For someone so critical of filmmaking sins you sure do like some trash.

Which ones are trash? You saw that massive list I posted, right?

That's MY opinion, though, and that's what SnakeEyes was saying. Maybe Bruce is someone you should be listening to.

-AC

And, I respect your opinion. Your opinions are usually much more "well thought-out" compared to others. If you just posted, "It was shit acting", when you criticized a movie, I'd think you were an idiot, unless you explained yourself.

Bruce hasn't steered me wrong, yet. What he says are good, I always right higher than average. What he says are shit or have problems, I agree with those points and have similar problems. Stands to reason that I would go to Bruce for advice on movies I'm not sure about, right?

Mr Parker
plan on seeing it sometime this week.Looking forward to it.

Alpha Centauri
Cool. I know that, but he also likes some of the same films that everyone, including critics, likes. To me, it's the ups and downs of why there are differences of opinion.

Which ones are trash? You saw that massive list I posted, right?

And, I respect your opinion. Your opinions are usually much more "well thought-out" compared to others. If you just posted, "It was shit acting", when you criticized a movie, I'd think you were an idiot, unless you explained yourself.

Bruce hasn't steered me wrong, yet. What he says are good, I always right higher than average. What he says are shit or have problems, I agree with those points and have similar problems. Stands to reason that I would go to Bruce for advice on movies I'm not sure about, right?

New Moon was higher than average?

-AC

dadudemon
Seems my opinion of the situation is in the minority so how that can be argumentum ad populum is beyond me.

It is not. Most the people here say the same of Bruce. I don't understand the hate...especially when I agree with him most of the time. laughing

Of course, you're likely referring to the prevailing opinion that the films in SE's list are considered better than GI Joe...Consider that argumentum ad populum if you like but it isn't a logical fallacy because it's subjective. It's a matter of taste, as you say.

Indeed. Appealing to the masses, whether on a message board community, or the entire world, that's argumentum ad populum. In this scenario, we had an appeal to the KMC community's general consensus.

You can, however, put some degree of objectivity into it by having different sources grade the film and get a meta-analysis of it (as metacritic and rotten tomatoes do).

That's just an even bigger "argumentum ad populum" measure. It's all very much subjective.

People go to critics or sources they trust. They trust the potential logical fallacy being committed as an acceptable probability, even if subconsciously. Meaning, they believe that the critics or sources they go to for information on the film will generally agree with their opinion. But, here's the kicker: is it possible that the person will like the film more because of the "preliminary" influence of that trusted source? I am a heavy believer in that last part, there. I think that the hate of the prequel trilogy is a victim of that: some star wars fanboy started whining about things, others caught on, and the idea spread in a very "memish" fashion. I don't believe that there are very many truly, 100% pure haters of the PT: it's a fad from star wars fanboys.

The only objective way to go about it is sales: regardless of what anyone says, if it sells, more will be made like it. Sales and "doing" are measured by the success with the target audience. If it succeeds there, it is very much objective. It's a 0 or 1 thing: fail or succeed. Anything above and beyond that is just just bonus. big grin

Of course, if you want to argue that the scores in which they are based are skewed by argumentum ad populum then be my guest but the onus would be on you to back up that claim which would be nigh on impossible to do anyway.

lol

It just so happens that I made that same exact point, above. It is impossible as the subconscious is almost impossible to measure. It can be indirectly observed in some psychological studies, and we do know that humans are extremely social: logically, we can say that at he very very least, SOME are affected by reviews they read from sources they trust. The extent of that, however, is the item in question.

dadudemon
New Moon was higher than average?

-AC

Haven't seen it.

Also, I don't think BruceS. said New Moon was awesome. In fact, didn't he say it was better than he expected? (Meaning, he probably went into the film with low expectations.)

jaden101
I was referring to the idea that SE was somehow shoving his opinion down people's throats simply because his opinion differed from theirs.

If the consensus agrees with me...The consensus is right. This is the law.

I don't trust Mark Kermode. I hate the man with an absolute passion. I generally hate film critics on the whole because they're stuck up (unts but I more often than not agree with him.

I do agree with the last part in many cases though. I think a lot of people go into films wanted to and thus forcing themselves to like certain films. I also believe it's the same with films that the general consensus hate. It's good to go against the grain (not for the sake of it but for honesty)

The general consensus is the the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the best thing since sliced bread. I think it's shit. Mostly because I can't stand the fantasy genre and I also think some tecnhnical aspects of the film are terrible (as well as the acting).

I don't like the Godfather movies...Never have. I find them boring and irrelevant. I think they are about as true to the source inspiration as old black and white movies about WW2 when everyone says things like "Well gee whiz captain...The Japs are coming over them there hills. We better do something right quick"

As much as I wanted to like The Road because I love the book...I didn't...It was poor. The cinematography was glorious but the rest of it was dire beyond belief.

Hardly an objective measure of whether something is good or not though is it. You can entice millions of people to go see a movie with a good trailer for a film that most of the people end up hating. Or then there's the hype aspect. Most people hated The Blair Witch Project...They still went to see it because of the hype and so count towards the box office total.

Indeed.

I think the best examples on KMC recently of how opinions of films can be affected is when you go into the threads for films like Gamer and Legion...Most people said the trailers look(ed) good. They then go on to say the film was shit (or in the case of Legion my money is on the same people who thought the trailer looked good coming back after seeing the movie and saying it's shit)

So with that in mind...Valhalla Rising...Avoid like an STD.

Alpha Centauri
Haven't seen it.

Also, I don't think BruceS. said New Moon was awesome. In fact, didn't he say it was better than he expected? (Meaning, he probably went into the film with low expectations.)

He was a fan of Twilight, he said he couldn't wait for New Moon and then said he couldn't wait or Eclipse. Something like that.

-AC

Spartan005
So back to Shutter Island....

Only a 62% fresh rating on the top critics on rottentomatoes. WTF? And most of these critics are just bitching about the soundtrack being over the top. They're probably the same guys who praised "There Will be Blood's" soundtrack along with "No country for old men."

and while skimming through reviews I found this: "This line of reasoning might succeed only if the casting were better. DiCaprio is out of his league in this role, despite having proved in Revolutionary Road and Scorsese's earlier The Departed that his baby face need not be an impediment to serious drama."

What? I'm not a Leonardo DiCaprio fan at all, but he blew me away in this movie

MildPossession
The There Will Be Blood score was fantastic...

The Nuul
Leo was great but the movie was ok.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by The Nuul
Leo was great but the movie was ok.

Curious, what didn't you like about the movie?

Myth
Originally posted by MildPossession
The There Will Be Blood score was fantastic...

Yeah. I was a little bit pissed that There Will Be Blood didn't win best picture. It had the best acting, the best score, some of the best cinematography, and was a (somehow) gripping movie about an oil businessman (which should be boring, but wasn't).

But thats off topic...

Mr Parker
just saw this film,wow what an ending,totally surprised me.

jaden101
I thought it was a tremendous movie...One of the best I've seen in quite some time. Stylistically amazing...Especially the dream sequences.

Serge
Indeed, film of the year by a pretty firm margin, at least so far.

And while the twist could maybe be seen as a little predictable, the premise behind it was incredible regardless.

rusty_raccoon
really good movie, weird twist at the end though I kind've guessed it half way through

Vinity
Shutter Island is one of the most well crafted psychological thrillers to come by since Silence Of The Lambs. And it is no coincidence both were brilliantly written novels. Shutter Island is adapted by a book written by Dennis Lehane (wrote gone baby, gone and mystic river). It is a book filled with twists and turns, that will leave the reader dizzy. And, that is what it's film counterpart does to the fullest.

Blinky
I really liked this movie. It was nice to see Scorsese take a break from gangster/crime films. I really enjoyed the dream sequences. The ending was predictable, but so what? I really enjoyed watching the actors, camera shots and dialogue. Beautifully executed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Blinky
I really liked this movie. It was nice to see Scorsese take a break from gangster/crime films. I really enjoyed the dream sequences. The ending was predictable, but so what? I really enjoyed watching the actors, camera shots and dialogue. Beautifully executed.

The ending was predictable? Which one?

I ask because, there were really two endings:
1. The one where we find out he really was crazy. Technically, the climax and not the ending. This is what most people are referring to when they say, "the ending."
2. The real ending where we find out that Teddy still has his wits about him and says, indirectly, that he'd rather die a good man than live as a monster.

#2 indicated, for me, that he still had his whits and he was making a conscious decision to get the lobotomy so he can "die" knowing that HE made the "best" decision. For me, that made the film even better. Subtle hints/writing, when nicely executed, can make a film more enjoyable.

Myth
Completely agree dadudemon.

botankus
I don't see many movies since my daughter was born last year and pay even less attention them in general. I saw Shutter Island last Sunday, and it was probably the 4th movie I'd seen in 8 months. So obviously, I had no idea this movie was directed by Scorsese until the credits rolled. I actually had a free, lazy Sunday afternoon and all I wanted was a mindless action/stupid-scare movie - which was strange because those are the movies I hate and films like Shutter Island are ones I usually enjoy. If I had known ahead of time what I was going into, I would have enjoyed it more. I'd like to watch it again when it comes on TV.

The Nuul
Originally posted by botankus
I don't see many movies since my daughter was born last year

Congrats dude!

botankus
Thanks, man. As a Canadian, you'll be happy to know that her favorite TV show to this point is the NHL playoffs. She sticks her neck out like a goose when play is on and fusses and grunts when either a commercial break comes on or they cut to that dude in-between the benches for pointless commentary.

Blinky
The ending was predictable? Which one?

I ask because, there were really two endings:
1. The one where we find out he really was crazy. Technically, the climax and not the ending. This is what most people are referring to when they say, "the ending."
2. The real ending where we find out that Teddy still has his wits about him and says, indirectly, that he'd rather die a good man than live as a monster.

#2 indicated, for me, that he still had his whits and he was making a conscious decision to get the lobotomy so he can "die" knowing that HE made the "best" decision. For me, that made the film even better. Subtle hints/writing, when nicely executed, can make a film more enjoyable.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong... but as I remember the end (I've only seen this once) :

It was revealed that Teddy is in fact a patient and that his "partner" was really his psychologist.

In the last scene Teddy is still referring to chuck as his "partner" and says that he'd rather die a good man than live as a monster. This action can be interpreted in two ways:

a) Teddy knows that he --in reality-- is a US Marshall caught up in conspiracy and refuses to believe the story that was fed to him by Chuck and the others.
b) Teddy REFUSES, deliberately, to cope with the horror of his real life and makes a psychological choice to regress back into insanity, so that in his mind he can die and honorable man. This is what I initally believed happened.

I suppose the movie does not really have a clear ending... but I thank you for providing me with an interpretation that I didn't think about when I watched the movie. The ambiguous ending actually makes me like the film even more.

Blinky
*Double post, sorry*

Rogue Jedi
Just saw this, not bad. 7/10.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Blinky
Ok, correct me if I am wrong... but as I remember the end (I've only seen this once) :

It was revealed that Teddy is in fact a patient and that his "partner" was really his psychologist.

In the last scene Teddy is still referring to chuck as his "partner" and says that he'd rather die a good man than live as a monster. This action can be interpreted in two ways:

a) Teddy knows that he --in reality-- is a US Marshall caught up in conspiracy and refuses to believe the story that was fed to him by Chuck and the others.
b) Teddy REFUSES, deliberately, to cope with the horror of his real life and makes a psychological choice to regress back into insanity, so that in his mind he can die and honorable man. This is what I initally believed happened.

I suppose the movie does not really have a clear ending... but I thank you for providing me with an interpretation that I didn't think about when I watched the movie. The ambiguous ending actually makes me like the film even more.

It should be noted that our talks are interpretations, but not fact (for the film). Your guesses are everybit as good as mine and vice versa.

Most people assume a) on the film but his words had a tad more complexity to them, at the end, there, to just assume he reverted back, especially during the artistic "cinematography" moment that focuses for a bit on DiCaprio's face, specifically, his eyes, then to Ruffalo, then back to DiCaprio, and so forth. For me, Scorsese was trying to indicate that the light was still on in Teddy's mind and it was a conscious decision to get the lobotomy before he reverted back to his "monster." One thing I took from that moment was Ruffalo's character still did not realize what Teddy was saying about wanting to die as a good man until Teddy got up and started to walk away: he then MIGHT have with a brief flicker of "realization" as DiCaprio got up to go get lobotomized (that could just be me looking too far into things). That brief moment, for me, resulted in Chuck gaining a new respect for Teddy...knowing, now, what "die as a good man" really meant when Teddy said it.

I do admit that it's possible that I am giving Scorsese too much credit in writing a beautiful ending, like that. However, for me, it seems more likely that that was the intended ending based on how well the scene was executed. My interpretation is not correct, per se, as I see that other people on the internetz are unsure if it's my interpretation or the a) ending.

That ACDC Chick
watched this last night and really liked it yes
i already knew the ending and whatnot, but it was still interresting to see how it all played out on screen
i liked the whole comcept of it and i really want to read the book now
it was also cool to see Jackie Earle Haley in that one scene in cell block C

Mr Parker
how did you know it was going to end like that?

That ACDC Chick
i read the wikipedia page haermm

MildPossession
I know the ending, I've read the book. It's slightly different though.

That ACDC Chick
thats why i want to read it badly

MildPossession
Read it then! stick out tongue

That ACDC Chick
i shall begin once i finish the Lost World which i get tomorrow stick out tongue

K.Diddy
Originally posted by K.Diddy
smile I'm only repeating What I have heard,so dont hold it against me,when I eventually see it, I will revive the thread and give my own opinion

beer Ok,Finally rented this last night,I'm gonna have to watch it through red eyes,As I only slept 3 hrs last night,but I will give my opinion on it soon

K.Diddy
beer I might be being a bit harsh on this movie,as I think a second viewing of it would do me good,I watched this movie in a very tired,drained state of mind,but all I can say about it for now,The movie seemed to take an Hour and a half to grab my interest,I understood the twist,but almost felt like the movie was confusing itself and me at times,I dont really think it had any real suspense at all,felt it could of been a lot better,I mean,a mental hospital on an island,that could of been really scary shit,but it just wasn't,I may see this again someday,but for now my score is 6.5/10

residentevil3D
Waiting for this movie...for DI Caprio

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.