Nightwing and Robin or Batman and Robin? *SPOILERS*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Entity
I donno how keen I am on this new Batman and Robin arc. I mean I've always felt the Dick should replace Bruce when he passed the torch but actually becoming Batman. I jus don't think I care for it.

The whole reason Dick became Nightwing in the first place was to get out of Batman's shadow. Why would he want to go right back into that. I mean I fully think it should be Dick and Dick alone that takes up the mantle replacing The Dark Knight but do it as Nightwing. The hero he souly gave the reputation to.

Bruce himself even told Dick that Nightwing and Robin should carry the torch, not as Batman.

Anyway jus how I feel and wanted to open a threat to discuss it.

Disappear
i think the title of this thread, aside from having "spoilers" at the end of it, kind of gives away a reveal not everyone might know. just saying.

also, i think it follows nicely. in the nightwing series way back, dick outright told bruce how pissed he was to be passed up on as the bat's replacement last time bruce took off the cowl. it follows that he still wanted it, if secretly and naively, and as explained in the first issue, is something he'd "always known" but hadn't fully accepted. it's a new dynamic, and nobody can really replace bruce, but it's not like this was a big surprise. who else was going to step up?

Martian_mind
I agree.we need someone with actual balls under the cowl.

BRING BACK JASON!!...hell, hand it over to Drake or Damien,just get that Grayson ***** out of here....

There,that should start a shitfest.

willRules
I'm a Nightwing fan and I actually think it's fantastic.

I totally understand the whole argument about Nightwing being a new persona outside Batman's shadow. But my main issue with this argument is that, if we're honest, he never truly was or would have ever been free of Batman. His history was an ex-Robin, his new persona was a dark brooding vigilante type character. He even threw around his own version of a batarang.

What Makes Dick Grayson cool was his jovial nature. His personality was always of the upbeat, acrobatic Robin, the light to Batman's dark. At this moment, it makes him even more interesting as Batman than Bruce could ever be. Yes I said it.

I hated the execution of his transition, however. I thought Battle for the Cowl was the wrong genre. The passing down of the Bat mantle shouldn't have been an action packed storyline. It should have been a psychological one, focusing on the internal conflict in Grayson and the mindset of the other candidates regarding their personal justification to be Batman.

Having said that, I thought Batman and Robin #1 was awesome. I absolutely love how Morrison has turned the whole Mythos upside down with the passing of the Batman and Robin mantles. It totally makes sense that now, Batman is the light to Robin's dark. Also the villains look pretty freaky.

I personally think that if done well enough (and if Batman and Robin #1 is any indication, it could be excellent) I don't necessarily want Bruce back as Batman, even though it'll inevitably happen. This passing of the torch feels justified for Batman, but doesn't for Robin, which makes it interesting. If done well enough this could be like when Bucky replaced Cap.

starlock
I am ok with Dick becoming batman and being called batman.i think its a way better feel than Bucky taking over for cap, i dont like that Morrison is writing it...but oh well, i will just read them online....thank the heavens the waste of paper and ink called Jason Todd...is out of the running, now all they need to do is put jason back in the grave...for good,
i have afeeling when bruce returns....he will move on...Dick is at the point where all he needs is bruces honest assesment that..Dick has surpassed bruce and will be batman for good....it has to happen sooner or later...the student surpasses the teacher..so to speak. that would be a gutsy move..worth all of this hoopla

BruceSkywalker
go here to discuss this as well..

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=509474&pagenumber=2

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by willRules
I'm a Nightwing fan and I actually think it's fantastic.

I totally understand the whole argument about Nightwing being a new persona outside Batman's shadow. But my main issue with this argument is that, if we're honest, he never truly was or would have ever been free of Batman. His history was an ex-Robin, his new persona was a dark brooding vigilante type character. He even threw around his own version of a batarang.

What Makes Dick Grayson cool was his jovial nature. His personality was always of the upbeat, acrobatic Robin, the light to Batman's dark. At this moment, it makes him even more interesting as Batman than Bruce could ever be. Yes I said it.

I hated the execution of his transition, however. I thought Battle for the Cowl was the wrong genre. The passing down of the Bat mantle shouldn't have been an action packed storyline. It should have been a psychological one, focusing on the internal conflict in Grayson and the mindset of the other candidates regarding their personal justification to be Batman.

Having said that, I thought Batman and Robin #1 was awesome. I absolutely love how Morrison has turned the whole Mythos upside down with the passing of the Batman and Robin mantles. It totally makes sense that now, Batman is the light to Robin's dark. Also the villains look pretty freaky.

I personally think that if done well enough (and if Batman and Robin #1 is any indication, it could be excellent) I don't necessarily want Bruce back as Batman, even though it'll inevitably happen. This passing of the torch feels justified for Batman, but doesn't for Robin, which makes it interesting. If done well enough this could be like when Bucky replaced Cap.

Originally posted by starlock
I am ok with Dick becoming batman and being called batman.i think its a way better feel than Bucky taking over for cap, i dont like that Morrison is writing it...but oh well, i will just read them online....thank the heavens the waste of paper and ink called Jason Todd...is out of the running, now all they need to do is put jason back in the grave...for good,
i have afeeling when bruce returns....he will move on...Dick is at the point where all he needs is bruces honest assesment that..Dick has surpassed bruce and will be batman for good....it has to happen sooner or later...the student surpasses the teacher..so to speak. that would be a gutsy move..worth all of this hoopla

agreed, btw willRules love the sig

Al the Killer
Hopefully they don't rush Bruce back as I'm quite interested in seeing Dick's interactions with the rest of the DCU is his role as Batman. Would love to see him leading the League.

Philosophía
I'd like him to stay for a while too. Not only because it has lots of potential, but Bruce being in the past has even more.

Sad thing is, once Bruce is back, I doubt Dick will go back to being Nightwing. So he'll either die or .. yeah. The character has been taken to all kinds of places, and him dying after becoming Batman though wouldn't please many fans, it would be a fitting finale.

willRules
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
agreed, btw willRules love the sig

Cheers big grin

Al the Killer
He's definitely dead after the Batman stint is over.

Just another reason I hope it lasts long.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Al the Killer
Hopefully they don't rush Bruce back as I'm quite interested in seeing Dick's interactions with the rest of the DCU is his role as Batman. Would love to see him leading the League.

I think Bruce may be back in Batman # 700

As to what happens to Dick when Bruce returns, I have a feeling that Bruce will either finally step down as Batman or maybe Dick will assume another identity

Raoul
Originally posted by Raoul
Far as Dick goes, i dunno. By my own admission, i'm more a Nightwing fan than a Batman fan (but not by a whole lot), but i just don't like Dick as Batman. I thought he'd stepped out of that shadow a long time ago.

Now that he is Batman, though, i can't imagine anyone (bar Bruce) that would do a better job.

Martian_mind
Tim would make a better Batman then Dick IMO.

Battlehammer
nope I love that dick is batman. however todd suit was bad ass looking.

Kris Blaze
Looks like one of the best titles out there.

WhoopeeDee
I'm a Batman fan....oh hell, you know what I'm going to say...so why waste time.

Kris Blaze
Holy sh1t, this is a good comic.

Just read Batman and Robin 5. Kinda disappointed that Jason Todd turned out to be the Red Hood. It's like they weren't sure whether to make it a big reveal or simply ease into it. Regardless, amazing comic. Quitely's off the art though, why?

willRules
Originally posted by Kris Blaze

Just read Batman and Robin 5. Kinda disappointed that Jason Todd turned out to be the Red Hood. It's like they weren't sure whether to make it a big reveal or simply ease into it. Regardless, amazing comic. Quitely's off the art though, why?

Now I could be completely wrong, but I was under the impression he was going to return at a later stage. However it seems they've got a new guy for the later issues who draws a very, very cartoony style that seems inappropriate to me sad

Tan's OK at the moment though yes

Martian_mind
I prefer Tan TBH.

Not that big a fan of Quitely.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Kris Blaze

They are rotating artists, and the initial plan was to have a 12 issue run with Frank Quietly, Philip Tan, Frazer Irving and Quietly again, for the final arc, each of them illustrating a 3-part story. It seems the plan has changed and Cameron Stewart has a Blackest Night related arc in-between Tan and Irving, and Quietly comes back at an unspecified time, though most likely for issues 13-15, after Irving.

Anyway, this comic constantly kicks ass.

Kris Blaze

Kris Blaze
Holy shit, was this week's chapter amazing or what?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.