Conan the Barbarian (2011)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Its just been confirmed Marcus Nispel is set to direct it

darthmaul1
Who are they going to get to play Conan??
Some movie you just shouldn't remake, come up with something new.

BruceSkywalker
I will see this... but I do hope the plot is good

Kazenji
Originally posted by darthmaul1

Some movie you just shouldn't remake, come up with something new.

What do you mean remake you do realise theres a heap of short stories from Robert E Howard and plenty of ones from the comics and besides says nothing about its going to be a remake.

Robtard
I love me some Conan, but I'm skeptical this will be good. I do hope so.

Rogue Jedi
Dvd.

dadudemon
THere's plenty of better actors to chose for Conan's role other than Arnold.

So it can't be much cheesier than the original conan movies.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by dadudemon
THere's plenty of better actors to chose for Conan's role other than Arnold.

It's not the chessieness that i am worried about.
Replacing Arnie just doesn't seem right.... better actors?? this is Conan what do you want? Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, i know let's get Johnny Depp.

It like them remaking total recall, what is the point.

BruceSkywalker
Replacing Arnie just doesn't seem right.... better actors?? this is Conan what do you want? Al Pacino, Robert Deniro, i know let's get Johnny Depp.

It like them remaking total recall, what is the point.

Al Pacino will make a good Conan, though laughing out loud

Robtard
I'd actually prefer if this was made CGI, like Beowolf.

Kazenji

The first Conan movie was'nt cheesy it was a decent movie now that sequal on the otherhand.........

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Kazenji
The first Conan movie was'nt cheesy it was a decent movie now that sequal on the otherhand.........
agreed!!! the only good thing about the sequal besides the end was Conan saying to the wizard "enough talk" and sticks him with the knife.

By the way does anyone know when a good version of conan will be released on DVD or Bluray?? I have seen it on DVD with a bunch of extras but the sound is in glourious MONO!!!???? WTF

Robtard
I agree, it's one of my favorite movies and the sound track by Basil Poledouris is one of the best scores in movie history. Just ****ing epic.

Conan The Destroyer was oh so sad and pathetic. Did you know that was Andre The Giant in that rubber monster suit?

sheila143

Impediment
See the teaser.

Is Conan seriously weating mascara?

srankmissingnin
Jason Momoa was looking massive in Game of Thrones, made me more excited for the Conan movie.

marwash22
pause.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Jason Momoa was looking massive in Game of Thrones, made me more excited for the Conan movie.

well he better have more lines than just "no" "no" "no"

as for this, thought it would be good to go see, however i have no hope for this

Esau Cairn
Replacing Arnie just doesn't seem right.... better actors?? .

Robert E. Howard's Conan was not only intelligent & cunning but also very agile.

Arnie may have looked the part but he seriously came across as slow-witted compared to the novels.

quanchi112
Sweet.

MildPossession
It looks terrible, and has a mediocre director.

Kazenji
Well yeah the teaser does look shit

hopefully something better shows up later on.

Robtard
My earlier skepticism came true, this will definitely suck a bucket of sweaty balls. Too bad.

Rogue Jedi
This is gonna suck worse than the Crow remake. Next thing you know they'll remake Die Hard.

Impediment
I say that Star Wars will be remade by 2030.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Impediment
I say that Star Wars will be remade by 2030. You're gonna rot in hell for that remark, sir.

But you're probably right.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Next thing you know they'll remake Die Hard.

If Willis wasn't aiming for yet another DH, I think we'd see a remake starring Jason Statham and it would suck.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
If Willis wasn't aiming for yet another DH, I think we'd see a remake starring Jason Statham and it would suck. Probably they'd go with someone younger.

Robtard
Probably they'd go with someone younger.

That definitely rules you out then. OH SNAP!

Rogue Jedi
That definitely rules you out then. OH SNAP! http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/jedibeastie2/3385236178_b4e56984d5_o.jpg

You're nipping at my heels, brosky.

marwash22
If Willis wasn't aiming for yet another DH, I think we'd see a remake starring Jason Statham and it would suck. they'd probably go with someone like Channing Tatum. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard

You're nipping at my heels, brosky.

But I'm like a fine wine; you're like a block of cheese.

BruceSkywalker

SHHHH!! Don't tell that to George... laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
But I'm like a fine wine; you're like a block of cheese.

A fine wine.....riiiiiight.........

More like this:

ZCm07WceaQw

Kazenji
This is gonna suck worse than the Crow remake. Next thing you know they'll remake Die Hard.

Well not like Arnold could play Conan again he's too old.

Dr Mystery

When you say 2030, you do mean 2030 on the 24 hour clock, as in half past eight tonight?

elfirrepins
Remakes are ruining the movie business. There are still a plethora of movie ideas out there. But no, they just have to remake a movie. No script really needed because you can just modify the old script and viola! A movie! Honestly, these directors are getting slack.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by elfirrepins
Remakes are ruining the movie business. There are still a plethora of movie ideas out there. But no, they just have to remake a movie. No script really needed because you can just modify the old script and viola! A movie! Honestly, these directors are getting slack.

As much as I loathe remakes, I think the reason being has to do with the writers' guild striking a couple of years ago.

Remakes, reboots literally write themselves needing less writers to rely on & are also already guaranteed to pull in the profit over the opening weekend.

Kazenji
New trailer

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167201-new-conan-the-barbarian-trailer

looks good, alot better then that crappy teaser that they released.

SnakeEyes
Looks like the same rehashed garbage that gets released every year.

MildPossession
Looks shit still.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by MildPossession
Looks shit still.

remakes usually are.This is one they really should leave alone since the first one was so good.Now if they wanted to remake the SECOND one, the sequal,I would be all for it.that one sucked.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Mr Parker
remakes usually are.This is one they really should leave alone since the first one was so good.Now if they wanted to remake the SECOND one, the sequal,I would be all for it.that one sucked.
Agreed. Whos going to deliver the crush you enemies line?
This movie is going to suck hard. I'm just waiting for the original one on blu ray since the DVDs were in mono I never got them.

Esau Cairn
It looks enjoyable enough.
Although it's becoming obvious & annoying these days of action sequences that are deliberately made for 3D.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, i'll wait for dvd for this one. It doesnt look like anything special and i;m still not sold on the casting of Conan.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Although it's becoming obvious & annoying these days of action sequences that are deliberately made for 3D.

Agreed and it looks better then Nispel's other flick Pathfinder.

Mr Parker
QUOTE=13358454]Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Although it's becoming obvious & annoying these days of action sequences that are deliberately made for 3D. [/QUOTE

Boy you can say that again. mad

BruceSkywalker
saw the trailer again before Thor came on, I do like Rachel Nichols and she'll be the only reason why i see this

Kazenji
Still gonna see this one but won't be going into with high expectations

stupid that they got someone like Marcus Nispel for this flick when the character was ripe for a comeback.

Mindset
I'll see this and I'll be dressed as Thor, and you all will be jealous of my pecs.

ScaryGerry
New full trailer released last week. Did everyone get a chance to see it?

I'm really liking the outlook for Conan. Momoa seems like a great pic for the lead, especially after seeing him on Game of Thrones. Definitely also excited to see a story more in line with the Robert E. Howard vision of Conan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3L7tRQzDEQ

http://scifipulse.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/conan-momoa-firstlook-fullphoto-535x474.jpg

Esau Cairn
It's just I can't get past his forehead & eyebrows.
He's expression is either surprised or worried at what he sees...

Kazenji
I read for this flick its Marcus Nispels dream project

who knows the final product might be decent but will wait and see.

Kazenji
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7539/conanposter2.jpg

Kazenji
Tv spot

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78553

Johnny Demonic
After seeing Momoa on Game Of Thrones, I think he is going to make a kick ass Conan.

dadudemon
He's...well...just a little guy. Sure, he's in really good shape...

But this is Conan The Friggin' Barbarian!

I guess should not compare past Conan's to this one. I should let it stand in its own right...just like I tried to do with GI Joe.

Robtard
He's...well...just a little guy. Sure, he's in really good shape...

He's little?

Esau Cairn
He's little?

dadude's had bigger. wink

Impediment
Jason Mamoa is 6'4".

Kazenji
Red band trailer

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167615-red-band-trailer-for-conan-the-barbarian-hits

Kazenji
Free game to play

http://www.break.com/games/conan-the-barbarian-3d.html

ScaryGerry
Another Red Band clip released for Conan. Anyone who didn't catch it, see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNisV1YQbXQ&feature=player_embedded

I think it looks awesome personally. Every piece of content I've seen so far, I have liked better than the last. And this clip is definitely the best thing they released so far. If this is what Conan is doing as a kid, I can't f'ing wait to see what goes down when he is grown up. Absolutely badass.

Kazenji
Seen two reviews up for this film

the main things they say are bad script, pacing, dialog etc

but this one from Twitchfilm has some positive parts

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=44467

quanchi112
Terrible movie.

Ridley_Prime
Still willing to bet it's better than the original with Arnold.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Still willing to bet it's better than the original with Arnold. Watch it and try to say that afterwards.

BruceSkywalker
Still willing to bet it's better than the original with Arnold.

when you see the remake, say your statement one million times fast lol

Ridley_Prime
The original wasn't so good itself to me, so I may not have much standard for the remake.

Robtard
Orignal is great. This was utter shit.

Ridley_Prime
Orignal is great.
I beg to differ.

Mindset
I beg to differ. I beg to differ with your differing.

Ridley_Prime
Hmm'k. Am not saying it was terrible though. Just not anything particularly special, but if the remake is really that bad in comparison, then I guess I might as well wait to dictate that 'till it starts being shown on movie channels or netflix, as I wouldn't want to pay extra to see garbage would I?

quanchi112
Original is pretty classic.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Original is pretty classic.

It may be a classic but it's a tad tedious, slow & very outdated watching it now compared to when it was first released.

Kazenji
It may be a classic but it's a tad tedious, slow & very outdated watching it now compared to when it was first released.

Different tastes for different people i suppose because the original was far from slow for me.

quanchi112
It may be a classic but it's a tad tedious, slow & very outdated watching it now compared to when it was first released. The effects and what not seem outdated but still enjoyable. Arnold had classic lines and there's a nostalgic factor for me. Just look at the original star wars films and compare it to the prequels it looks vastly outdated but still are great movies. Look past the effects and with conan at the time it was a wonderful tale of revenge and gladiatorial good times to be had by all.

the ninjak
A good film can never become dated. Watch Conan again but with the commentary with Arnie and the director, it's hilarious.

Robtard

Slow? We get a battle 10 minutes into it and we stay entertained until the end. The non-battle scenes all pretty much are either character development related or plot-driven.

Tedious? See above.

Outdated? Was made in 1982 and the effects for the time are pretty good. But it is an almost 20 yer old fantasy flick.

Impediment
Conan the Barbarian is timeless.

Conan the Destroyer was cheesy, but fun.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by quanchi112
The effects and what not seem outdated but still enjoyable. Arnold had classic lines and there's a nostalgic factor for me. Just look at the original star wars films and compare it to the prequels it looks vastly outdated but still are great movies. Look past the effects and with conan at the time it was a wonderful tale of revenge and gladiatorial good times to be had by all.
If I want to see Arnold at his best or a nostalgic factor of his, I'll preferably rewatch Terminator 2 or something. His Conan movie doesn't hold a candle to plenty of the other movies he's been in IMO.

Robtard
Conan the Barbarian is timeless.

Conan the Destroyer was pure shit.

fixed.

quanchi112
If I want to see Arnold at his best or a nostalgic factor of his, I'll preferably rewatch Terminator 2 or something. His Conan movie doesn't hold a candle to plenty of the other movies he's been in IMO. Arnold just shit out classics in the 80's. Termintor 1 and 2, Predator, Running Man, Conan, the man was on fire.

Robtard
And then started killing us in the 90's with shit like Eraser. "You're luggage."

Mindset
T2 was made in 91.

Robtard
Arnold had 3 maybe 4 good movies in the 90's. Less than half from the 80's. He's the 80's action-star.

Ridley_Prime
Terminator 3 was one he did all right in too, though I guess that wouldn't count for the current topic since it was in 2003, but was still a better movie than Terminator Salvation IMO (Kristanna Loken was kind of a plus too). I'll be a bit disappointed if the next Terminator is one he doesn't have a prominent role in either. erm

Esau Cairn
Slow? We get a battle 10 minutes into it and we stay entertained until the end. The non-battle scenes all pretty much are either character development related or plot-driven.

Tedious? See above.

Outdated? Was made in 1982 and the effects for the time are pretty good. But it is an almost 20 yer old fantasy flick.

I think what I had difficulty watching was really James Earl Jones & his henchmen & their ridiculous haircuts....the whole religious sect story line was what I found tedious to watch...after having seen the movie about 4-5 times already.

quanchi112
The one problem I had with the original though it's minor is the manner in which Conan dispatched the villain. Once he overcame self doubt and his words he just killed him. I expected a fight.

Esau Cairn
The MAIN problem I had with the original was how dumbwitted & clumsy Arnie played Conan out to be.

Having read all the Conan novels, the guy wasn't just muscle bound, he was quick, agile, cunning & intelligent enough to rise to king.

quanchi112
The MAIN problem I had with the original was how dumbwitted & clumsy Arnie played Conan out to be.

Having read all the Conan novels, the guy wasn't just muscle bound, he was quick, agile, cunning & intelligent enough to rise to king. I never read anything about Conan so had no expectations. Usually those who have high expectations leave disappointed when it makes the transition from comic book/novel to movie.

queeq
I liked how Milius used Arnold in Conan1: no talk, just action. And yes, he wasn't too clever, but it felt honest enough. Can't say that about our new pumped up version.

I read one book with lots of short stories on Conan by Robert Howard. And he certainly wasn't the talkative type. I think Milius just emphasised that bit.

I'd like to see a movie with an older Conan, starring Ahnold. Conan the Usurper.... with his empire beginning to crumble. At least that would give some depth and challenge to the character and the actor.

quanchi112
Originally posted by queeq
I liked how Milius used Arnold in Conan1: no talk, just action. And yes, he wasn't too clever, but it felt honest enough. Can't say that about our new pumped up version.

I read one book with lots of short stories on Conan by Robert Howard. And he certainly wasn't the talkative type. I think Milius just emphasised that bit.

I'd like to see a movie with an older Conan, starring Ahnold. Conan the Usurper.... with his empire beginning to crumble. At least that would give some depth and challenge to the character and the actor. I'd also like to see Conan in his twilight years played by Arnold passing the torch so to speak.

RE: Blaxican
Yah, with Shia Lebouf as the spunky young kid who the torch is being passed to. Sounds like a hit!

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by queeq

Yes Arnold playing Conan felt honest enough...considering at the time, there was little choice of other actors to play the part.

But at least with Momoa, he did look intelligent & cunning enough to do the Robert E. Howard's novels justice.
Unfortunately he just didn't have the screen presence compared to Arnold.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Yah, with Shia Lebouf as the spunky young kid who the torch is being passed to. Sounds like a hit!

Shia as Red Sonya...now that would be a hit! wink

Kazenji

But at least with Momoa, he did look intelligent & cunning enough to do the Robert E. Howard's novels justice.
Unfortunately he just didn't have the screen presence compared to Arnold.

Plus it does'nt help with Marcus Nispel directing.

queeq
Certainly didn't. He sure handled the gore nicely, too bad there wasn't much else in this rather cliche story... And frankly, I missed things that made Conan stand out like a character.

The original Conan movie had a number of scenes that clearly built his character: the 'what's best in life' lesson, biting the vulture, hitting the camel, praying to Crom... Momoa didn't get any character scene. So they made Conan look alright... they just forgot about characterisation ... and story.

Kazenji
I've got two of the Robert E Howard Conan books with the short stories, Just have'nt got around to reading them i'll get to them eventually.

queeq
They are an easy read...

The Nuul
Once again like the latest Punisher movie, the actor was good but the director ****ed it up. The script wasnt as good either than the 80s versions.

Marcus Nispel is horrible, better than Pathfinder at least.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by The Nuul
Once again like the latest Punisher movie, the actor was good but the director ****ed it up. The script wasnt as good either than the 80s versions.

Marcus Nispel is horrible, better than Pathfinder at least.

I disagree about the latest Punisher movie.
Three attempts & the 3rd one was the most accurate & realistic.

It was also a pleasant surprise to find out that the director of such a violent film was female.

Dreampanther
Liked it. Want to see more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.