College Has Become Big Business

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NuclearWinter
Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, College and higher level education is no longer about the individual (if it ever was in the first place) and has now officially become big business. It's a sad fact that I do feel I must share. And I am sure I am not the only one who's ever stated this.

The bottom line here folks, is that I have been noticing this trend for awhile now. I get calls all the time from these blood suckers who are obviously addicted to the government teet and who depend on it for their sustenance. I know some way, some how, these colleges are making a profit. And it is the government who is providing it for them. And when I get these calls I get the same thing over and over, yes this is so and so from bla bla bla community or state college calling about our wonderful opportunities for you and your family. Bla bla bla bla bla.

The fact is folks, these colleges could give two shits about you and or I. They just don't give a damn. I would have more respect from these people if they called you on your cell phone and stated, "Yes, this is Bob from Crackpot community college calling, and I really don't like my job very much at all but I am on a serious quota limit per day and if I don't get you to at least pretend you are interested in my education pamphlets, etc., then not only will the college that employs me not get it's usual cash infusion from the United States government but I will be out of a job!" Now that I would respect simply for these people just telling the truth and not trying to pretend to be my best friend. Cuz I know that at the end of the day it's all about the money, both for them and for the college.

These colleges don't care about you taking out massive government loans that they know will most likely put you in debt for decades to come. It has been this way for awhile. As long as the college get their share of your government loan or however it is that the mechanics of the business work then they really don't care what happens to you as an individual. It's all about profit...and how do they get this profit? By using you as the medium between the college and it's government funding. You are the tool by which the college aquires it's cash, in other words, and therefore, you are only valuable up until the day you graduate. After that, all the lies that they peddled for you while you were attending their school become a reality only for you and the college moves onto their next victim. By then you are left in the dust and if you think you can gain the sympathy of the college that convinced you to get into debt than you are completely at a loss because they simply just don't care. Not unless you plan to take more classes...that is.

Of all the good choices I have made in my life, not taking out major goverment loans through a college was one of the best in my opinion. My sister is in debt up to her eyeballs but luckily she was one of the lucky ones who was actually able to land a job while she is actually attending school. For the majority of college students, especially in todays economy, this simply is not the case. In fact, I believe I heard a statistic on the news that said that only 20% of college graduates actually land a successful job immediately after they graduate from college. So what about the other 80%? What happens to them? Or how about the ones who didn't graduate? What happens to them? My guess is that the college they are attending simply doesn't care, and so in their opinion, why should you?

I just don't like what I am seeing in todays higher education system. It has become a business just like any other, which is fueled by the greed behind making a profit, and is no longer in my opinion about taking care of the individual student and insuring that they are successful in their pursuit of the American dream.

College, like just about everything else in America, is all about making a dime off of the American citizens labor. Only with colleges they focus on a person's mind more than they do on the actual physical labor that many other businesses gain profit from. Either way, they have discovered how to turn Human Bodies into cash, and they don't hesitate to do so.

The Scribe
I agree. wink

It's also a way to get people into debt right out of high school.

How many people are actually placed in the job they majored in?
Very few.

There should be a guarantee that the college will help place you in the job you want after your schooling is finished.

Symmetric Chaos
Oh oh! Now tell us how Ron Paul will save us!

WO Polaski
Originally posted by The Scribe

There should be a guarantee that the college will help place you in the job you want after your schooling is finished.

why? any loser can go through college with straight A's its not that difficult all it takes is time to waste. getting through college doesnt mean youre automatically ready for the job you want.

King Kandy
Originally posted by WO Polaski
why? any loser can go through college with straight A's its not that difficult all it takes is time to waste. getting through college doesnt mean youre automatically ready for the job you want.
It really depends on major and grad school some of them are notoriously hard to get good marks in.

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
It really depends on major and grad school some of them are notoriously hard to get good marks in.

Making a course hard for the sake of making it hard so a certain number of people fail is to miss the entire point of teaching. IMO, that degree means much less...it just has a name on it. It's kind of like buying a pair of Nike shoes that are expensive as hell, but fall apart rather quickly.

However, some places have really good educations and are big names. I like CIT's "feel". They provide both a good education (from what I can see) and they are a big name.

Granted, more money, better facilities. It's hit or miss. You'd be better off taking most of your medical classes at a good community college as it is mostly just rote memorization.

King Kandy
Eh, at top of the top grads like harvard law it's not uncommon to have several classes that are curved so that x number of students will always fail no matter what. So it's not easy, actually it's really competitive.

WO Polaski

i meant community colleges. shifty

King Kandy
i meant community colleges. shifty
I agree there. 99% of community college courses you could almost sleep through and get As. It's quite different at high-ranked private colleges.

jaden101
Universities and colleges have never tried to hide the fact that the more students that enroll, the more money they get for funding. I don't see the big problem with it. I'd much rather a university got funding for new research than the banks get it to prop up their inadequacies in running themselves.

As for them making a profit? This is nonsense. The amount of money required every year to pay the faculty's salaries is enormous. A university professor is most likely on a 6 figure salary. That would take the income from anywhere between 10 and 50 students fees contribution to pay for that one faculty member. multiply that up and it's easy to see where the student's fees go. Not to mention the rest of the non teaching staff...adminisation, research fellows, cleaning staff...Then there's the money for equipment (which in the case of science can be hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for some pieces of equipment)

A lot of universities don't make enough from the government to fund this and have to get private funding or make the money themselves. That's why many universities set up spin-off companies and satellite companies to generate revenue. My local university has over 20 such companies that research and manufacter anti cancer medication, are involved in construction consultancy, mobile phone design, book publishing and many others.

dadudemon
I agree there. 99% of community college courses you could almost sleep through and get As. It's quite different at high-ranked private colleges.

True. Some, however, offer a better education on the same material, for much much less money, and you end up with a higher grade that's transferable.

I think I was talking to Chitthappens about this, but, you can get most of your hours at a cheap school, then transfer them a big name school for your Ph.D. so you end up with a Ph.D. from the big school, but most of the work was done at the less expensive school.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
True. Some, however, offer a better education on the same material, for much much less money, and you end up with a higher grade that's transferable.

I think I was talking to Chitthappens about this, but, you can get most of your hours at a cheap school, then transfer them a big name school for your Ph.D. so you end up with a Ph.D. from the big school, but most of the work was done at the less expensive school.

That's basically what I'm doing. Associates degree, then a transfer to a state school.

leonheartmm
it has always been big business, its just grown with the current trends in capitalism. or did we really think that all those handsome donations were for anything other than bribing students to get in

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That's basically what I'm doing. Associates degree, then a transfer to a state school.

Good thinking. smile

The Dark Cloud
EVERYTHING in America is big business and to some extant that's ok as long as strong anti trust laws are in place and enforced (they haven't been) and there are protections for workers(there aren't enough).

However things like education and healthcare shouldn't be driven by profit, society is the worse off for it.

King Kandy

Assuming you can get into and pay for the grad school, that's one of the most cost-efficient things to do.

KidRock
Originally posted by NuclearWinter
Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, College and higher level education is no longer about the individual (if it ever was in the first place) and has now officially become big business. It's a sad fact that I do feel I must share. And I am sure I am not the only one who's ever stated this.

The bottom line here folks, is that I have been noticing this trend for awhile now. I get calls all the time from these blood suckers who are obviously addicted to the government teet and who depend on it for their sustenance. I know some way, some how, these colleges are making a profit. And it is the government who is providing it for them. And when I get these calls I get the same thing over and over, yes this is so and so from bla bla bla community or state college calling about our wonderful opportunities for you and your family. Bla bla bla bla bla.

The fact is folks, these colleges could give two shits about you and or I. They just don't give a damn. I would have more respect from these people if they called you on your cell phone and stated, "Yes, this is Bob from Crackpot community college calling, and I really don't like my job very much at all but I am on a serious quota limit per day and if I don't get you to at least pretend you are interested in my education pamphlets, etc., then not only will the college that employs me not get it's usual cash infusion from the United States government but I will be out of a job!" Now that I would respect simply for these people just telling the truth and not trying to pretend to be my best friend. Cuz I know that at the end of the day it's all about the money, both for them and for the college.

These colleges don't care about you taking out massive government loans that they know will most likely put you in debt for decades to come. It has been this way for awhile. As long as the college get their share of your government loan or however it is that the mechanics of the business work then they really don't care what happens to you as an individual. It's all about profit...and how do they get this profit? By using you as the medium between the college and it's government funding. You are the tool by which the college aquires it's cash, in other words, and therefore, you are only valuable up until the day you graduate. After that, all the lies that they peddled for you while you were attending their school become a reality only for you and the college moves onto their next victim. By then you are left in the dust and if you think you can gain the sympathy of the college that convinced you to get into debt than you are completely at a loss because they simply just don't care. Not unless you plan to take more classes...that is.

Of all the good choices I have made in my life, not taking out major goverment loans through a college was one of the best in my opinion. My sister is in debt up to her eyeballs but luckily she was one of the lucky ones who was actually able to land a job while she is actually attending school. For the majority of college students, especially in todays economy, this simply is not the case. In fact, I believe I heard a statistic on the news that said that only 20% of college graduates actually land a successful job immediately after they graduate from college. So what about the other 80%? What happens to them? Or how about the ones who didn't graduate? What happens to them? My guess is that the college they are attending simply doesn't care, and so in their opinion, why should you?

I just don't like what I am seeing in todays higher education system. It has become a business just like any other, which is fueled by the greed behind making a profit, and is no longer in my opinion about taking care of the individual student and insuring that they are successful in their pursuit of the American dream.

College, like just about everything else in America, is all about making a dime off of the American citizens labor. Only with colleges they focus on a person's mind more than they do on the actual physical labor that many other businesses gain profit from. Either way, they have discovered how to turn Human Bodies into cash, and they don't hesitate to do so.

Agreed.

I always laugh the hardest at the "Business Administration" or "Finance" majors that automatically assume they will be millionaires. I have friends who go to really good private business schools and they're just like this. One of them just smokes weed and gets 2.7 gpa's and thinks he will be rich as all hell. 90% of them will be corporate middle management whores, 9% will be upper management with a good salary and 1% will become CEO's and billionaires. Which is irrelevant because if you're intelligent enough to reach CEO status and become a billionaire then you're smart enough to start your own business from scratch without the degree and become a billionaire on your own.

King Kandy
Originally posted by KidRock
Agreed.

I always laugh the hardest at the "Business Administration" or "Finance" majors that automatically assume they will be millionaires. I have friends who go to really good private business schools and they're just like this. One of them just smokes weed and gets 2.7 gpa's and thinks he will be rich as all hell. 90% of them will be corporate middle management whores, 9% will be upper management with a good salary and 1% will become CEO's and billionaires. Which is irrelevant because if you're intelligent enough to reach CEO status and become a billionaire then you're smart enough to start your own business from scratch without the degree and become a billionaire on your own.

Funny how you keep yammering about how people have to get good education and then show this much scorn for the people who do.

KidRock
Funny how you keep yammering about how people have to get good education and then show this much scorn for the people who do.

An education is pointless if you have no determination, goal or motivation.

Hence the reason I, a college student has a job, and the PHD man doesn't.

Learn to listen or don't post.

Symmetric Chaos
An education is pointless if you have no determination, goal or motivation.

Then why did you just say the education is totally meaningless?

KidRock
Then why did you just say the education is totally meaningless?

I didnt. Did you not read the rest of my post?

Symmetric Chaos
I didnt. Did you not read the rest of my post?

You said that people who become rich don't need an education. All of them are smart enough to found a business on their own and become billionaires that way.

KidRock
You said that people who become rich don't need an education. All of them are smart enough to found a business on their own and become billionaires that way.

And they usually dont.

Bill Gates is a good example.

Does anyone here believe that he would be any less successful today had he gone to community college instead of Harvard?

Bardock42
And they usually dont.

Does anyone here believe that he would be any less successful today had he gone to community college instead of Harvard?

Yeah, definitely.

WO Polaski

yes, but only because of the reputation one gains from going to university. id agree that beyond that universities are overrated. you dont have to be smart to flourish in a university, going to one isnt an indication of your intelligence only your ability to waste your own time.

dadudemon
yes, but only because of the reputation one gains from going to university. id agree that beyond that universities are overrated. you dont have to be smart to flourish in a university, going to one isnt an indication of your intelligence only your ability to waste your own time.

This I agree with.

No matter how smart you are, there's always some nerd that will do better than you that has tons of time and all they due is study study study and do homework. Some people are motivated. What's crappy is some people are much more capabale of working in the real world over that nerd example, yet they play around and do just enough to pass.

King Kandy
And they usually dont.

You're using Bill Gates as an example of something that "usually" happens? He was on a different level then anyone else, hence why he was the richest guy on earth and those other motivated dropouts weren't.

In other threads you keep saying "If you can't find a job you need to get more education" and here you're claiming education is useless. Make up your mind.

Bardock42
You're using Bill Gates as an example of something that "usually" happens? He was on a different level then anyone else, hence why he was the richest guy on earth and those other motivated dropouts weren't.

In other threads you keep saying "If you can't find a job you need to get more education" and here you're claiming education is useless. Make up your mind. He wasn't above anyone else, he was good, but he wasn't above them. Yeah, the guy is smart, but there was a shitload of luck involved in his stellar career.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Bardock42
He wasn't above anyone else, he was good, but he wasn't above them. Yeah, the guy is smart, but there was a shitload of luck involved in his stellar career.
That was what I was trying to say. I didn't mean he was smarter but there were exceptional circumstances that in no way reflect the norm.

inimalist
however, wouldn't by that same definition, each person's life be the end result of exceptional circumstances?

I get what you are trying to say, but pinning success on chance isn't, imho, the all to it. Sure, there may be people as smart as Gates, but smarts are a tool, and he as an individual used them in the right circumstances to be successful. He does deserve credit for that, regardless of luck.

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
however, wouldn't by that same definition, each person's life be the end result of exceptional circumstances?

I get what you are trying to say, but pinning success on chance isn't, imho, the all to it. Sure, there may be people as smart as Gates, but that is just a tool he as an individual used in the circumstances he was presented with.

I think we can draw a difference in things that we achieve through our own ability and work and things we achieve through other people giving us chances and, especially, every variation of those two together.

Yes Bill Gates was smart, Bill Gates was able to cash in the opportunities he was presented with, but we also have to say that, regardless of his skill, due to some circumstances he had it easier to succeed than other's on his level.

Seen your edit, seems we agree.

inimalist
Seen your edit, seems we agree.

quite

King Kandy
I agree Bill Gates used skill to do what he did but it seemed KidRock was trying to say that ANYONE who was smart like Bill Gates could easily do what he did.

Symmetric Chaos
I agree Bill Gates used skill to do what he did but it seemed KidRock was trying to say that ANYONE who was smart like Bill Gates could easily do what he did.

Obviously they chose to be born in a place where those opportunities wouldn't present themselves.

Kris Blaze
Agreed.

Where are you getting those numbers?

KidRock

In other threads you keep saying "If you can't find a job you need to get more education" and here you're claiming education is useless. Make up your mind.

Hence the reason I said like the top 1%.

And no im not, learn reading comprehension.

King Kandy
Hence the reason I said like the top 1%.

And no im not, learn reading comprehension.
So you think 90% of people with high education will get worthless jobs... And yet you think people should educate themselves.

Maybe you should learn to stop being a ****ing hypocrite.

dadudemon
So you think 90% of people with high education will get worthless jobs... And yet you think people should educate themselves.

Maybe you should learn to stop being a ****ing hypocrite.

Superficially, a contradiction exists.

I see no actual contradiction in what he has said.

King Kandy
In other thread, when asked about people who only get sucky jobs, he said they had to educate themselves better. And yet here he says even those who do educate themselves will get sucky jobs. That is definitely a contradiction.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Where are you getting those numbers?

87.4% of statistical percentages posted on forums are arbitrarily made on the spot by the poster.

dadudemon
In other thread, when asked about people who only get sucky jobs, he said they had to educate themselves better. And yet here he says even those who do educate themselves will get sucky jobs. That is definitely a contradiction.

I still fail to see a contradiction.

Unless he said that 100% or all...or anything like that...would get a better job if they got an education, it is not a contradiction. And, yes, I know exactly which post you're talking about.

Fact is, if you want a better job, get an education. Life is, most of them will get sucky jobs....but they most certainly will pay more on average.

King Kandy
No, what he said is that people getting sucky jobs is the result of them NOT having educated themselves. The implicate assumption here is that people who DO educate themselves WON'T get sucky jobs.

dadudemon
No, what he said is that people getting sucky jobs is the result of them NOT having educated themselves. The implicate assumption here is that people who DO educate themselves WON'T get sucky jobs.

But how do you know that?

I am betting that "sucky" and "better" are referring to two different things.

"Sucky" in context, based off of his other posts in this thread, means a job that they don't enjoy or that isn't as reputable as they "predicted" they would get.

"Better" means a job that pays more.

We can let him clarify this. However, we may have already tainted the "sample" via the observer effect or the halo-effect.

Edit - Wait. I just had an epiphany while reading the Star Trek forum. I think the best way to describe it is "social desirability".

cinelover
Very True tht Colleges are no more just the center for Wisdom..Its values and mottos have been changed now!!

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Robtard
87.4% of statistical percentages posted on forums are arbitrarily made on the spot by the poster.

It happens to be 100% in Childrock's case.

dadudemon

Wait wait...I can do that too:

Robtarded.

Dadouchemon.

Lardock42.

RoguePedi.

Suckdicko Girth.

Ditzimalist.

Iganorick.

Queen Mandy.

Suckdicktric Chaos.

The Emo Cloud.

BO Suckasski.

And, finally...

Flaming Kris Blaze. (Your name would show up in an encyclopedia as follows: Blaze, Flaming Kris.)

Making up insulting nicknames is fun....isn't it? no expression

Bardock42
Wait wait...I can do that too:

Robtarded.

Dadouchemon.

Lardock42.

RoguePedi.

Suckdicko Girth.

Ditzimalist.

Iganorick.

Queen Mandy.

Suckdicktric Chaos.

The Emo Cloud.

BO Suckasski.

And, finally...

Flaming Kris Blaze. (Your name would show up in an encyclopedia as follows: Blaze, Flaming Kris.)

Making up insulting nicknames is fun....isn't it? no expression You already have an insulting name, dadouchebag.

Also, you have a weird fixation on male genitalia and the suckage thereof shock

dadudemon
You already have an insulting name, dadouchebag.

Also, you have a weird fixation on male genitalia and the suckage thereof shock

Your deductive reasoning fails you.

3 references to cognitive dysfunction

2 references to dick sucking.

2 references to male homosexuality.

1 reference to BO

1 reference to ass sucking.

1 reference to being fat.

1 reference to douchery.

1 reference to pedos.

1 reference to Emos.

But you got me. I'm tooootally gay. It's the will power. smile

botankus
I've been called Bowankus and Bostankus. I haven't decided which is worse, the genitalia one or the BO one. I guess it depends on if I've showered that day and am a little conscious about my hygiene.

JacopeX
That's basically what I'm doing. Associates degree, then a transfer to a state school. Same here.

I really don't think my High School would be any good reference to get into a university. Plus, I transferred to different high schools and it pretty much ruined my classes and placements.

AngryManatee
I did Community College too. Sadly, there's only so much you can do there until you have to start taking your engineering classes, which can't be done at a CC
hang

ATX/UT ND Money
I agree for the most part that universities have indeed become profit seekers. Most top ranked schools have the highest tuition and donations from corporations in order to keep the new supply of catered workers coming to them. I personally think that college should provide a well rounded education rather than being more specialized to an industry but then it would be pretty hard to finance the costs of running the university...meh

Agreed.

laughing out loud confused I am a finance major and I do see people like this around. Those people usually have pretty good backgrounds as far as wealth is concerned and know people who can get them where they need to be so don't take school seriously

chithappens
Originally posted by ATX/UT ND Money

laughing out loud confused I am a finance major and I do see people like this around. Those people usually have pretty good backgrounds as far as wealth is concerned and know people who can get them where they need to be so don't take school seriously

Actually, there are a lot of people I know right now who graduated in May with that degree who are just sitting on their ass doing nothing as of right now.

This is just a bad market for most people, but I'm doing Education so I'm good Happy Dance

ATX/UT ND Money
Originally posted by chithappens
Actually, there are a lot of people I know right now who graduated in May with that degree who are just sitting on their ass doing nothing as of right now.

This is just a bad market for most people, but I'm doing Education so I'm good Happy Dance

haha true. its good time for education,medical, engineering or anything that is related to obamas plans...

KidRock

Lmao, who are you? Get off my cock.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/ryan2duff/GeorgeTakei.gif

fibromyalgiacur
Can i use this blog as reference in my college report

Regards
Joanson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.