Respect Kessler!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Despite major efforts to work against, this thread will contain
SPOILERS!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/971/meetkessler4.jpg

Kessler is the primary villain in InFamous. He gained his powers from a powerful device that has infected far more than just him, merely not on the same scale. Kessler has gained his powers almost the same way that Cole has, only far later. Which in simple words means that he has the same type of powers that Cole has. The significant difference would be that Kessler is far older and more experienced, making his powers more advanced.

At the peak of Kessler's powers, he has not only shown adept skills in teleporting and lightning, but he has also developed mental abilities and power over time. At the peak of his might, Kessler used his powers to travel back in time, to the era of "InFamous" and Cole.
The reason Kessler teleported back was because he feared an entity that was named "The Beast". A creature he initialy had proven able to take down, but instead fled. He a long time later turned the heel and attempted to battle the beast, but was forced to retreat. At which point, he traveled back in time.

What makes me find Kessler to be so much more than just our common videogame villain is the fact that he more and more turns out to be a self-sacrificing guy that is ready to do evil for the greater good.
Throughout the game, Kessler force Cole to make choices, some good and others evil. All with the purpose to prepare Cole for the battle that Kessler himself was unable to win. He pushes Cole to the brink of death several times, and gives one go after another to take away all that Cole cares for. Friends, possessions and even emotions themselves.

Kessler is not only respectable for his great powers and his interesting character, but also because of his advanced mind. He was able to (Although already knowing the events of the future, given) mold Cole and guide him down the road that Kessler wanted him to take.

While the game InFamous grant you the liberty of choices. Choices between good and evil, it will all in due time come down to be revealed as part of Kessler's design. It'll turn out you've been doing exactly as he intended all along.

Meet Kessler for the first time:uWFendxSyl8

Respect thread: To Be Continued.

MooCowofJustice
Not sure if you were ready for posts, but in one of the Dead Drops a Kessler recording on testing of the Sphere stated that the subjects would have full control of their powers about 3 weeks after exposure. I took it to mean that in three weeks Cole would be at full power, but full control and full power are different things.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Major spoiler warning (Video):
To prepare you, in case you're thinking "Just another spoiler. How bad can it be?" and want to click it, take this in consideration: The cutscenes at the end of this video is more or less a complete summary of everything that will happen in the game, as well as includes the mother goose of spoilers when it comes to InFamous. I'm talking complete revealing here, people.
Y7Gzihcy-z8

To give a little more information on what Kessler can do:
(Will use spoilertags for the spoiler parts)

Teleport. As the video shows, Kessler is not just any teleporter. He's about as dangerous as it gets. Kessler reacts to actual lightning (Not just some electricity bolts, but real lightning) and he doesn't exactly need to pause for a breather between each teleport. From my understanding, his teleport is more or less a transformation into lightning and then back to self when he reach his intended location.

Kessler in the fight use a couple of abilities that Cole has, which is a given since both got their powers from the same source. A couple that Cole doesn't have, is for example the shockwave (First used at 1:05). It has the obvious effect of throwing you over your feet and onto the ground, dealing minor damage really, but stretches a good distance.

His next new move is his electric "telekinesis", which you see at 1:15 forcing Cole back to the center of the battlefield. Kessler wants to battle Cole there and then, so he's not allowing him to escape.

Later at 1:38 you see Kessler bring Cole down with his glove to aid him. While nothing is known about the glove, it appears as if it's quite juiced up with power, knocking Cole out for a brief period of time (Which says a lot given the durability of Cole, having been merely dazed after being hit by several ton metal earlier in the game (Cutscene))

Already at 1:42 is the next feat (Durability), which we see being Kessler tank gunfire in a cutscene. Kessler literally just stands there taking it, despite seeing Zeke coming up to him with the gun even before he shoots. This more or less indicate an invisible forcefield of some sort, preventing Kessler from suffering injury.

His next spell comes at 2:20, which is Kessler's mental attack. If any one of the many illusions strike Cole (Or whoever), the one being hit by them will suffer grave mental damage. If you're damaged at all, even just a scratch when you get hit by it, you die. This implicate that it damages the player 99% of his total health (Not current) although I know that's not worth much, it being gameplay.

At 3:20 Kessler summons some droids of some sort. How he does this, I don't know. Either he merely summon them from another location, he creates them or brings them from the future (I have no idea).

Once we hit 3:30 you'll see Kessler having thrown out fireballs. These works like mines and are triggered to explode whenever anyone walks near them.

Kessler's best durability feat comes at his defeat (6:40), at which moment he tanks an extremely long lightning strike and survives long enough to share his lifestory with Cole. (Do take in consideration that this lightning destroys a truck in a split second and can throw numerous cars like leaves in the wind at merely impact without prolonged activity)

A lot of what I haven't told, you can see in the cutscene. Nothing in the cutscene really needs a description. Do remember that it contains spoilers. The cutscene will also explain more elaborate about what powers he has, but hasn't shown.

Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
Not sure if you were ready for posts, but in one of the Dead Drops a Kessler recording on testing of the Sphere stated that the subjects would have full control of their powers about 3 weeks after exposure. I took it to mean that in three weeks Cole would be at full power, but full control and full power are different things.

I'm not saying no to posts. Anyone may post whatever big grin

Anyone exposed by the sphere is evolving at their own rate. It took Cole about three weeks before he could properly wield his powers, but as it is revealed, even Kessler developed long after his exposure to the Sphere. He attained his time power surely more than three weeks later.

So yes, I'd dare say there's a difference between full power, and full control. Maybe the hardest punch he can pack is after three weeks, but there's still a lot of moves to learn.

Quincy
Kessler/Cole is the absolute shit. I respect the hell out of both of them/him.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Kessler more so than Cole though. The whole self-sacrifice part is just beyond awesome. Excessively respectable flirt

Quincy
Yeeeaaaa I dont know about that. Kessler did some questionable shit.

Neo Darkhalen
Seems like a badass.

Can't wait to meet his foe, all of this just to prepare Cole for the fight with the Beast thats some serious determination, although I have to ask how can one kill there future self? Won't Coles life end at the point where he went back in time and as such he will never fight the beast, or is it sort of explained in game?

C. C. Cowgirl!
That's a philosophic question.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by C. C. Cowgirl!
That's a philosophic question.

If he is alive to you foresee a team up between the two in later installments?

C. C. Cowgirl!
Cole hates everything about Kessler. Given Cole's personality, I doubt he'll team up with anyone.

Quincy
Everyone's editing!

I was really surprised by the big reveal at the end. I had no idea. At first I thought Kessler was John when they did that "Nemesis Revealed" cutscene, but that theory was squashed once John started contacting Cole more.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Originally posted by Quincy
Everyone's editing!

I was really surprised by the big reveal at the end. I had no idea. At first I thought Kessler was John when they did that "Nemesis Revealed" cutscene, but that theory was squashed once John started contacting Cole more.

I know! Cease fire! no expression

Yeah, I did not see that ending come. Which makes it so much more awesome big grin Along with making Cole and Kessler both more awesome mmm

MooCowofJustice
I saw the ending coming when Sasha started calling you Kessler near the end of the first boss fight. >.<

Does anyone here understand how you could travel back in time with lightning powers? I don't get it. erm

C. C. Cowgirl!
If you can, please edit your first line to avoid spoiler.

Well, take Cole for example. He can track hours old vibrations by sensing the air. I'm sure there's an advanced version of that.

Neo Darkhalen
ahh no point in editing spoilers now, this threads title should contain a note in the title but even the first line provides a warning spoilers message, if people don't want to view them they should leave the thread.

Quincy
Well it seems that your powers grow and develop further in advancement. Eventually Cole will be able to create living mechanical organisms using scrap metal.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Quincy
Well it seems that your powers grow and develop further in advancement. Eventually Cole will be able to create living mechanical organisms using scrap metal.

I'm not going to lie, that would be awesome.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
ahh no point in editing spoilers now, this threads title should contain a note in the title but even the first line provides a warning spoilers message, if people don't want to view them they should leave the thread.

I guess it's kinda hard to avoid spoilers when you are discussing the last boss of a game. Especially one with as few appearances as Kessler had. I just don't want there to be any spoilers on the first page, so that people can read up on Kessler basics without having to worry about a ruined experience.

Quincy
Next game you should be able to play as Kessler in a prologue. That'd be sweet.

C. C. Cowgirl!
What makes you so sure there'll be a second game? Maybe they don't plan a sequel shock

Quincy
What makes you so sure there'll be a second game? Maybe they don't plan a sequel shock

crackers

Neo Darkhalen

Because since 2004 any game being produced is guaranteed a sequel, it's just how it works, jumping the gun and all.

Also theres the Beast to contend with.

C. C. Cowgirl!
The Beast is kinda a cliffhanger mmm

MooCowofJustice
There's way too much left in the open for there to not be a sequel. Sucker Punch wouldn't do that to us. At least, I really hope not.

I can't edit my post on the first page with the spoiler. erm

C. C. Cowgirl!
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
There's way too much left in the open for there to not be a sequel. Sucker Punch wouldn't do that to us. At least, I really hope not.

I can't edit my post on the first page with the spoiler. erm

Don't worry about the spoiler. I've come to better thought. The OP warns people about spoilers. If they suffer one when reading this thread, they brought it onto themselves.

It's really built up for a followup, with Moya, The Beast, Sasha(?) and all that end of the world stuff.

MooCowofJustice
I agree.

I actually can't wait for some kind of continuation on this. Maybe Kessler even gets his own game and you get to play as him before he realizes he can't win his fight.

I was very disappointed with my results playing as total Hero in the game too. Villains get all the cool stuff. sad

C. C. Cowgirl!
I was disappointed that it was easier being good than bad. That's completely upside-down.

MooCowofJustice
^Truth.

Evil can have it's awesome stuff, but it's unfair to not treat good the same. I'd probably give good some better toys simply because it should be harder to be good, like you said.

I still love Sucker Punch though, they simply rocked with Sly Cooper. I'm sure they'll make anything else amazing as well.

I wonder what new powers we'll get in any other InFamous game. Puppeteer anyone?

C. C. Cowgirl!
The creators has liberty of option. The Ray Sphere has no particular focuspoint when it comes to superpowers, so although lightning is the primary power of Cole, it's not necessarily all there's to it. Teleport, speed boost and telekinesis are three powers I'm hoping for. Double-jump and a phase ability would be interesting as well.

All would be potentials given what's already seen of Cole and Kessler. Super speed is implied in the "Final Message" cutscene, where Kessler holds his family and runs with some energy aura around him away from the scene of battle.

Neo Darkhalen
The Beast is kinda a cliffhanger mmm

/he'll be piss easy.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Not necessarily. Both Kessler and Alden proved to be a challenge on hard difficulty. At least in a relative sense. Took me perhaps two hours or so to beat Kessler. Sure it's not that much time really, but I don't think it will be easy. I remain optimistic.

Neo Darkhalen
I've played enough games this gen to realise the only hard boss to date is Dr. Wily from Megaman 9, how sad's that? Only one hard final boss.

C. C. Cowgirl!
It's true that bosses are fairly easy now in comparison to back in the days. Spyro the Dragon and Donkey Kong bosses were hellish to beat.

MooCowofJustice
Part of it is just because you got older, at least for me that's most of it. I do agree that bosses still aren't as hard as they used to be.

InFamous is more of a shooter too, and Shooter games I think are generally easier than all the others. I'd take a platformer any day. erm

Kessler for me got a little tricky. I didn't realize he summoned those grenade shooting drones and they kept almost killing me. Plus I hated how little your shots did to him. I unloaded all my charges on the Megawatt Hammers, it barely hurt him at all.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Age has some to do with it. With age comes talent. With talent, no game that require skill over power is hard for too long. In a shooter game, you only need skill to win (In most cases). You can beat InFamous using only your basic lightning from beginning to end.

Yet Kessler proved refreshingly challenging. One false move and you could've died.

Neo Darkhalen
Age has some to do with it. With age comes talent. With talent, no game that require skill over power is hard for too long. In a shooter game, you only need skill to win (In most cases). You can beat InFamous using only your basic lightning from beginning to end.

Yet Kessler proved refreshingly challenging. One false move and you could've died.

He seems to have a life bar made up of stone and thats another point to respect dude doesn't go down easy.

I agree with the age but still, even hard modes in games have become pathetically easy, Resident evil 5, Dead space, Halo 3 and Gears 2, all those games super hard modes are nothing at all compared to the original contra you know?

C. C. Cowgirl!
I don't agree on the Halo 3 part. Legendary Halo 3 has proved itself way out of my league, and I do compliment myself in being a good player.

Neo Darkhalen
I don't agree on the Halo 3 part. Legendary Halo 3 has proved itself way out of my league, and I do compliment myself in being a good player.

What?

Halo 3 was the first Halo game I owned and legendary was still a walk in the park bar Cortana...that mission is hard....never mind the game is fail...but that's for a different thread.

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
What?

Halo 3 was the first Halo game I owned and legendary was still a walk in the park bar Cortana...that mission is hard....never mind the game is fail...but that's for a different thread.

I didn't understand that until just now. All I thought was "Where was there a bar in a park? And what does Cortana have to do with any of that?"

Anyway, Halo campaigns are only fun to me when I do co-op. 'cause I like to shoot my partner from time to time. Plus it's hilarious when I make them do all the driving because they can't shoot, and they can't really drive either.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.