Which country make the best horror?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathbycorn
I myself would have to say Spain. I think the movie's they make are all very well made movies and movies I'm proud to own in my collection.

The Spanish films I own are;

The Devil's Backbone
Who Can Kill a Child?
King of the Hill
Pan's Labyrinth
The Orphanage
Fermat's Room
Rec

I would put Cronos in there but its actually a Mexican film. And Paintball looks awesome.

Other European countries that make good horror films are obviously France, Norway, Sweeden, England, Ireland, and Germany.

Hell even Iceland are making a slasher film!!!

Kazenji
For England a while back i would've gone for Neil Marshall for the directors but after what he put out with that Doomsday movie..........no

Lets hope he can redeem himself with the new Predator movie.

JediJim
I think Japan is up there I.M.O. They've made some great contributions to the genre.

deathbycorn
I hate all Asian horror except The Host, Audition, and Imprint.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Kazenji
For England a while back i would've gone for Neil Marshall for the directors but after what he put out with that Doomsday movie..........no

Lets hope he can redeem himself with the new Predator movie.

I saw Doomsday yesterday, I thought it was pretty sh*t

That ACDC Chick
i say Japan
they know how to set them and really give it a creepy atmosphere IMO

steverules_2
Alot of my fav horrors have come from the US:

NOES
Halloween 1 + 2
Hills have eyes (remake)
Alien
Aliens
Grave Dancers

MildPossession
At the moment Spain, and France are at the top when it comes to the field of Horror with the amount of excellent and memorable films coming out but I'm never really bothered about who makes the best, every year each country comes out with fantastic films, and they release complete rubbish too. Same for outside of the Horror genres.

Sweden came out with the wonderful Let The Right One In, so most countries are contributing high quality films.

After The Descent it was a bit downhill, but I thought it was pretty fun, so bla to you. stick out tongue Hopefully he will get back to better quality with Centurion, and even Predator; if he gets the job of directing.

That ACDC Chick
the US have no imagination when it comes to movies
we ran out of ideas in the mid to late 80's and have been reduced to remaking either old movies or foreign movies

MildPossession
You might want to look outside of the mainstream when it comes to America. Still amazing films coming out of America, mostly outside of Horror though. Have you not seen Session 9? May?

That ACDC Chick
nah
im talkin in general
actually the more indie they get the crapier they get

if you ever look through Fear.net youll know that you only get a decent movie once every couple months
the last one was from Dark Floors and thats not even American

and no i havent seen that but im looking into it now mmm

That ACDC Chick
and besides im talkin about real horror
not the kind of horror that makes you think or a slasher flick
im talkin about somethin thatll make you shit and piss at the same time scary

MildPossession
Well from any country it's hard to find a film that's scary, especially if you are a regular Horror film person and are use to it.

You should go and watch Session 9, and May; they are certainly not crap.

What are some of these decent horror films you like out of America?

steverules_2
Originally posted by MildPossession
After The Descent it was a bit downhill, but I thought it was pretty fun, so bla to you. stick out tongue Hopefully he will get back to better quality with Centurion, and even Predator; if he gets the job of directing.

lol any other golden movies you found pretty fun....the halloween remake perhaps....or maybe even TCM the Beginning stick out tongue

Gotta say I am rather syked for the predator remake, mostly cause we get a group of predators.

MildPossession
TCM: The Beginning is absolutely fantastic and is an immense influence on future Horror by the way!

steverules_2
TCM: The Beginning is absolutely fantastic and is an immense influence on future Horror by the way!

.....gun4sneer

The only influence it will have on future horror is that they will try to make a movie that is never ever as worse as that

MildPossession
You understand me, I am wise. Be still. *shoots back if she could work out how to put that same smilie in*. *Bows*.

Kisses...

That ACDC Chick
Well from any country it's hard to find a film that's scary, especially if you are a regular Horror film person and are use to it.

You should go and watch Session 9, and May; they are certainly not crap.

What are some of these decent horror films you like out of America?
Below
the first 2 Saw's
Freddy vs. Jason
the Hanibal series

really tats it and none of them are scary to tell you the truth
the first movie to make me scream out loud was Dark Floors when the first monster came out

MildPossession
Yep, definitely go and watch Session 9, and May...

That ACDC Chick
im waiting for night
thats how you watch horror movies evil face

really movies in general IMO
you can only enjoy a movie once its movie theater dark cewl

steverules_2
You understand me, I am wise. Be still. *shoots back if she could work out how to put that same smilie in*. *Bows*.

Kisses...

sly Are you coming onto me? Kissing me or...whatever it is your doing may not work...I get the feeling your hoping I will tell you how to get this smilie

MildPossession
Oh look, a hamster.

What about Ireland? has anything come out from Ireland for Horror, can't think of anything off the top of my head. Only film I can think of is Boy Eats Girl and I didn't think this was any good at all. I can't believe the film was apparently banned in Ireland for a while.

Selphie
Well, I think early American horror is amazing, and as well as Italian, so I'd go with those two.

MildPossession
Apparently Dario Argento's next film Giallo is having a lot of problems and might not even come out for a long time. Something like this. sad

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK5Fn4L4QhE

deathbycorn
She said she likes Jap horror so I say track down Audition.

Ireland have some horror films.

Boy Eats Girl
Rawhead Rex
Isolation
Shrooms
Dead Meat

Plague Town and Evil Breed: Legend of Samhain are set in Ireland.

And the new Hammer film The Wake Wood was filmed in Ireland.

BackFire
Currently, France.

Of all time - America.

steverules_2
Oh look, a hamster.

Riiiiiiiiiight ok then confused

deathbycorn
Dorothy Mills is also set in Ireland. Well an Irish island.

Kazenji
Originally posted by deathbycorn

Rawhead Rex

Okay film cept for the ending which is crap.

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by deathbycorn
She said she likes Jap horror so I say track down Audition.

thats a great one
but it aint just Japan that makes great horror i like all Asian horror
others i love:
Kairo(Pulse)
One Missed Call
Reincarnation
a couple from Korea that i cant remember the names of
the Eye
mmm
ill have to think of some more

MildPossession
That's The Eye(it's Hong Kong made), but it's not Korean. The Eye is one of my favourites out of Asia too, as well as A Tale of Two Sisters from South Korea. Kairo I wasn't too keen on but some scenes were very creepy.

Not really Horror, but I recommend you see Koma, Thriller from Hong Kong. Starring the lead from The Eye.

Also check out the film Alone, from Thailand. From the same guys there is also Shutter, rather good and creepy.

Dorothy Mills is one I want to see, it is an Irish/French made film.

That ACDC Chick
Shutters one of the others i was thinkin about
but ive only seen the American version

do you think the Asians better?

MildPossession
Of course it is!

That ACDC Chick
i must find!awew00t

MildPossession
America has it out on DVD, since 2007 I believe. So go buy. smile

Sweet_lady18
I think the Japanesse horror films are awesome (but f**** those movies with the American remake)

Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage are the best Spanish movies that I've ever seen.

lil bitchiness
Currently, I'd argue Spain and France.

Although noone can deny that there are excellent horror movies in all countries that produce it. But currently these two countries are my top two.

The Nuul
Americans about 95% of the time have no vision, its over the top crap when it comes to a good horror movie. And they are wimps, they change the Decent ending for a more happy one.....lol.

The Asians have a good vision however the production looks cheap.

The Spanish are doing really well over the last few years.

The Nuul
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Although noone can deny that there are excellent horror movies in all countries that produce it.

True, each country has a few or a lot.

lil bitchiness
I think the 'raw' factor is definitively missing in American horror. Latest movies are really polished and 'viewer friendly'.

I doubt movies such as Solo or Martyrs would be as good if they were original American idea...

The Nuul
But there are different categories in Horror like Gore, Slasher,Thriller, Vampire, Zombies, Psychological etc....

So, I guess it depends on what category, like America sucks for vision of horror but they make great slasher type films. I havent heard of a Japanese slasher flick that is good or them even making one.

So, IMO this topic varies on what categories will determine what is best for each country.

MildPossession
Horror is the main Genre, the others you mentioned are Sub-genres to Horror.

Martyrs is getting an American remake, so we will see what they do with it somewhat...

snuff hunter
my fav british films are
alien
aliens
hellraiser

my fav american films are
august underground trilogy

but i have been getting into a russian director andrey iskanov. he does some weird gory stuff,
philosophy of a knife (4hrs long based on a true story)
nails (very weird modern day horror film)
visions of suffering (very weird fcuked up modern day horror film)

but my fav stuff has to be the asians, atleast they release orginal films unlike the staes who relaese remake after remake, )

but if you like sick disturbing stuff the south americans do the best

snuff 102 (more disturbing than any other film that you have seen, very sick)

the ninjak
Italy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.