Hulk Should Have Been Blue, Not Red!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willRules
This thread is based upon the idea that you have no right to criticise a major event or storyline unless you can do better. So this thread is essentially offering you to come up with a better storyline than a big Marvel/DC/Image/etc etc event or major storyline.

The concept shouldn't be radically changed, just major plot points in order to say, for example, "I didn't like Civil War, but I see what they were trying to do. If only they did this, this and this."

However you must bear in mind your alternative approach must be something workable for the companies. You can't say I would have changed Crisis on Infinite Earth's so everything in all multiverses died. Imagine you are working for the comic company. You have to justify plot points like killing major characters and have to consider fan reaction or comic sales, tie ins and other factors.

So what would you have done differently??????

willRules
Ok so here's my example;

I would have done Final Crisis differently.

I felt that Grant Morrison's story was to convoluted with a disjointed narrative that whilst matched his quirky style of writing, didn't really feel like a "Crisis" event. I felt he tried to much all at once and whilst there were lots of cool things, he failed on several fronts as well.

What I would have done different would have been to have taken FC back to it's Crisis roots in a more straightforward, linear story. Just cos it's simple doesn't necessarily make it stupid.

I would have had the return of the Anti-Monitor with his original plan from COIE to erase all the multiverse. Pariah returns to warn the DC heroes of Earth 1 in time. The major gist of the story would consist of the heroes traveling over the entire DCU and the mutliverse, recruiting help against this threat. This would bring about strong allusions to the original crisis which would not only be good for company marketing but would satisfy the long term fanboys. However the main protagonists of the story would be the JLA's big seven so as not to become too mired in continuity and could appeal to casual fans or new readers. The storyline would include the death of a Flash and Supergirl, in reference to the original Crisis. However their could be another major death (Batman?) Superman with most of the DCU would defeat the Anti-Monitor and any forces he brought to try and stop the heroes.

Perhaps a subplot or a tie in miniseries could be a storyline focusing on D-List heroes trying to "hold the fort" on Earth 1 from all the major villain's who are exploiting the circumstances.

The New God's could be casualties in the Anti-Monitor's destruction if it was necessary by editorial mandate to kill them off. Several other notable alternate universes could be destroyed in the process. Who lives or dies could be worked to accomodate what is decreed by DC offices.

The storyline would be a simple, straight forward action epic that brings the Crisis brand to a satisfying conclusion. It would be a strong departure from Morrison's FC, but would be similar in the sense that it would be over the top epic and would draw upon even the most obscure characters of the DCU. Everyone would be involved as much as possible. The JLA's big seven would be at the core of it all though.

Whilst this may not be as subversive as Morrisons, it could be more profitable in the long run. Perhaps during the storyline, a new unknown universe would be uncovered, containing a whole host of new characters to provide future villains and stories so the closing of the Crisis brand would provide the opportunity for new events and story-lines. This would make any retcons that usually accompany a Crisis, unnecessary. Stale characters could be killed by the events of FC and the discovery of this new universe by Earth 1 heroes would revitalise the DCU line and create new titles.

steverules_2
I would have done house of M better by not doing it at all glare

willRules
Originally posted by steverules_2
I would have done house of M better by not doing it at all glare

That's ignoring the purpose of this thread sad Perhaps if you looked at what you specifically disliked about H.O.M and then thought about how it would have worked better to suit both Marvel as a company and the fans in general. yes What could have been done? smile

steverules_2
But to be honest no part of house of M was good, I liked that wolverine knew nothing about his past, I liked that Magneto had power...granted he's gotten his powers back but still....I mean really what good points were there to House of M?

willRules
But to be honest no part of house of M was good, I liked that wolverine knew nothing about his past, I liked that Magneto had power...granted he's gotten his powers back but still....I mean really what good points were there to House of M?

Well lets take a look at it.

The original purpose of H.O.M was to lose a vast chunk of the mutant population and make the X-men franchise slightly more important again by making them more unique. Bendis didn't want writers to be lazy by just explaining away powers as Mutations.

So the only parameters would be that H.O.M would have to alter reality to eventually lower the mutant population when the real reality was restored. Anything else within that could be up to you.

I think the main problems of H.O.M was a lot like the main problems for Secret Invasion. Both took a long time to reach the places Bendis wanted them to be in and it turned out the outcomes he wanted from these events were quite unrelated to the storyline itself. H.O.M was several issue about an altered reality so he could simply undo mutations.

What would have worked better would have been if the events during H.O.M when reality was changed would be suggesting that something bad for mutants would be happening. Perhaps what would have worked better would have been if the real universe was restored much quicker than the last issue. When it is restored there are still the hundreds of thousands of mutants with active powers. However everyone remembers the altered reality. Humans fear mutant growth more than ever. The sentinel program is restored and hundreds of thousands of mutants across the planet are exterminated by sentinels. All the popular mutants who Marvel want to keep and use post H.O.M survive. This plays into a core X-men theme about survival of the fittest and retains that uneasy relationship between humans and mutants that is so important to X-men story lines.

That would achieve the same outcome as Bendis' version of H.O.M did but in what I think would be a much more entertaining way. It would also appear to be a natural progression of the story instead of Bendis' which kind came out of nowhere.

Plus the fact that reality is changed and restored just like Bendis' H.O.M allows for the alterations you disliked such as Wolverine regaining his memory could still be something that may or may not happen in my version. Plus, as reality is restored much quicker in my version, you have more time to see characters dealing with the aftermath of it.

steverules_2
Ok then...sounds fine to me

There is one thing, one thing in Civil War that I would have changed. I loved the story and thought it was great how heroes were turning on each other and stuff but I really hated spiderman unmasking. Like a stone in a pond the ripple that was coursed in spidermans universe was changed but in a really bad way, I mean we OMD and BND which were both terrible storylines. Plus don't even get me started on Peter catching May in bed having....sex....sick

PRAYERRUN
Marvel Zombies should have been done in more than just a Horror story. It didn't make any sense!! I love the whole idea of it, but I see that nobody seems to talk about it at all. THAT'S BECAUSE NOBODY CARES ENOUGH TO TALK ABOUT IT!! I mean, there were so many things that I could take a week to point out. Wolverine getting the zombie virus, for one, was one thing I couldn't understand. I know it looks cool, but...again...it makes no darn sense!! The guy has healing powers that grew back his skin, for cryin out loud!! I would have loved to see a kind of Terminator storyline in this. One where maybe there was one (like Wolverine) who survived the entire onslaught of this event. Later on, he finds other survivors who were invulnerable to this virus, but had been beaten too much to do much of anything. The Vision, for example, could have been taken apart by the zombies, only to be found by Logan. Dr. Doom, who had stranded himself into the zombie universe, could also play a role in this. He, himself, was shown to have been invulnerable to the virus. Maybe he studies it by capturing his zombie counterpart, ( who apparently was vulnerable) and tries to find some sort of a cure for this whole thing. Sabertooth, Deadpool, and a number of heros would make it interesting too. I mean Forcing Logan and Creed to actually work together would have put an interesting twist into the story.

willRules
Originally posted by PRAYERRUN
Marvel Zombies should have been done in more than just a Horror story. It didn't make any sense!! I love the whole idea of it, but I see that nobody seems to talk about it at all. THAT'S BECAUSE NOBODY CARES ENOUGH TO TALK ABOUT IT!! I mean, there were so many things that I could take a week to point out. Wolverine getting the zombie virus, for one, was one thing I couldn't understand. I know it looks cool, but...again...it makes no darn sense!! The guy has healing powers that grew back his skin, for cryin out loud!! I would have loved to see a kind of Terminator storyline in this. One where maybe there was one (like Wolverine) who survived the entire onslaught of this event. Later on, he finds other survivors who were invulnerable to this virus, but had been beaten too much to do much of anything. The Vision, for example, could have been taken apart by the zombies, only to be found by Logan. Dr. Doom, who had stranded himself into the zombie universe, could also play a role in this. He, himself, was shown to have been invulnerable to the virus. Maybe he studies it by capturing his zombie counterpart, ( who apparently was vulnerable) and tries to find some sort of a cure for this whole thing. Sabertooth, Deadpool, and a number of heros would make it interesting too. I mean Forcing Logan and Creed to actually work together would have put an interesting twist into the story.

Interesting.....would that be instead of the Marvel Zombies story or would that be a sequel to it? Cos Marvel made a loada money off the first one yes

BruceSkywalker
I would have had Batman R.I.P. TOTALLY separate from Final Crisis..

Also even though I like Dick's version of the Batsuit, I would have had him wear either the AzBat armor or perhaps what Christian Bale wore n TDK

roughrider

House Of M was one of the large pieces Bendis was setting in place, that would lead to Secret Invasion & the current Dark Reign - he started laying seeds as far back as Secret War in 2004.
Also important as the precursor to Civil War, because it showed Captain America & The Avengers as ineffective & morally paralyzed about dealing with Wanda's reality warping. They wouldn't make the hard but necessary choice to kill her - despite destroying the team months earlier - and kept insisting there could be another way. The mutants paid for it with Decimation (which removed a huge portion of the super powered populace the Skrulls would deal with), and likely got Iron Man to thinking about how the team could function more efficiently to deal with threats - he had brought Wolverine onto the team to bring a more 'decisive' element, and they failed the test when it mattered. Hence leading to the opportunity for mass government involvement with super heroes, and not just following Cap's example, and so on.

Raoul
Originally posted by willRules
Ok so here's my example;

I would have done Final Crisis differently.

I felt that Grant Morrison's story was to convoluted with a disjointed narrative that whilst matched his quirky style of writing, didn't really feel like a "Crisis" event. I felt he tried to much all at once and whilst there were lots of cool things, he failed on several fronts as well.

What I would have done different would have been to have taken FC back to it's Crisis roots in a more straightforward, linear story. Just cos it's simple doesn't necessarily make it stupid.

I would have had the return of the Anti-Monitor with his original plan from COIE to erase all the multiverse. Pariah returns to warn the DC heroes of Earth 1 in time. The major gist of the story would consist of the heroes traveling over the entire DCU and the mutliverse, recruiting help against this threat. This would bring about strong allusions to the original crisis which would not only be good for company marketing but would satisfy the long term fanboys. However the main protagonists of the story would be the JLA's big seven so as not to become too mired in continuity and could appeal to casual fans or new readers. The storyline would include the death of a Flash and Supergirl, in reference to the original Crisis. However their could be another major death (Batman?) Superman with most of the DCU would defeat the Anti-Monitor and any forces he brought to try and stop the heroes.

Perhaps a subplot or a tie in miniseries could be a storyline focusing on D-List heroes trying to "hold the fort" on Earth 1 from all the major villain's who are exploiting the circumstances.

The New God's could be casualties in the Anti-Monitor's destruction if it was necessary by editorial mandate to kill them off. Several other notable alternate universes could be destroyed in the process. Who lives or dies could be worked to accomodate what is decreed by DC offices.

The storyline would be a simple, straight forward action epic that brings the Crisis brand to a satisfying conclusion. It would be a strong departure from Morrison's FC, but would be similar in the sense that it would be over the top epic and would draw upon even the most obscure characters of the DCU. Everyone would be involved as much as possible. The JLA's big seven would be at the core of it all though.

Whilst this may not be as subversive as Morrisons, it could be more profitable in the long run. Perhaps during the storyline, a new unknown universe would be uncovered, containing a whole host of new characters to provide future villains and stories so the closing of the Crisis brand would provide the opportunity for new events and story-lines. This would make any retcons that usually accompany a Crisis, unnecessary. Stale characters could be killed by the events of FC and the discovery of this new universe by Earth 1 heroes would revitalise the DCU line and create new titles.

nice idea, but to do that, you'd be messing with blackest night...

no. uhuh

Messiah Complex:

Make Sinister the big bad. Make the scale bigger. Get rid of that stupid dog/panther mutant hunting thing, or else use it differently.

House of M:

I'd redo it, and genuinely give every mutant their heart's content so that they would actually face a difficult choice as to whether to go stop magneto.

Bendis wanked that up big time.

Civil War:

I would have had Cap die during it, forcing Tony to re-evaluate what he'd done on a bigger scale.

Most Marvel events:

Involve the X-Men more.

Kazenji
Interesting.....would that be instead of the Marvel Zombies story or would that be a sequel to it? Cos Marvel made a loada money off the first one yes

That 4th series is ment to be good going by some of the reviews i've seen.

willRules
Originally posted by Raoul
nice idea, but to do that, you'd be messing with blackest night...

no. uhuh

I thought the same thing and I agree, but I reasoned that it was the Final Crisis, even if Blackest Night is better (I hope it will be) it's not the same mega event scale as a Crisis should be. Anyway it could still work with Blackest Night. The Anti-Monitor could be resurrected as the Black Lantern's power battery, leading into Blackest Night. Same destination as the actual comics, just a slightly different route big grin

I actually think one of the biggest problems with FC was it was labelled a Crisis when in actuality it was more like an event story being deconstructed by Morrison. The label was wrong.

Originally posted by Kazenji
That 4th series is ment to be good going by some of the reviews i've seen.

Yeah, I've heard they've all done reasonably well (although I disliked the second series) it's just that the first series really took off yes

ankur29
BND was really bad, i dont understadan why peopel think it will bring spiderman back to his glory days ,whast so great about web shooters

a lot of SM history gone sad , him and mj
i woudl of let aunt may die , no need for peter top make a deal with teh devil she shoudl of come to except her death and come out a stronger charecter ; it was her time

also they should of let SM keep his upgraded powers whcih i thought were quite cool (stingers, night vsion,faster healing , increased strength speed, agiklity and reflexes and a abetetr spdier sense)
i heard on these forums that the events with morlun , the other did take place as did avengers diasembled but his loss of upgardes is yet to be explained , pretty sad to just give him these cool powers and get rid of them so quickly , the powers and mystical element had potenital confused

Entity
Originally posted by ankur29
BND was really bad, i dont understadan why peopel think it will bring spiderman back to his glory days ,whast so great about web shooters

a lot of SM history gone sad , him and mj
i woudl of let aunt may die , no need for peter top make a deal with teh devil she shoudl of come to except her death and come out a stronger charecter ; it was her time

also they should of let SM keep his upgraded powers whcih i thought were quite cool (stingers, night vsion,faster healing , increased strength speed, agiklity and reflexes and a abetetr spdier sense)
i heard on these forums that the events with morlun , the other did take place as did avengers diasembled but his loss of upgardes is yet to be explained , pretty sad to just give him these cool powers and get rid of them so quickly , the powers and mystical element had potenital confused Totally agree

steverules_2
Spiderman has been ruined, it used to be great and one of the best selling comics but I feel now like spiderman is just...not the same, I have alot of back issues of spiderman mainly from the 90's but now I don't buy spiderman...last storyline I bought was new ways to die which was actually a pretty good storyline but now they just seem to ruin spiderman

willRules
Well not to disagree with you because I also feel that Spider-man has gone downhill, but it's still doing reasonably well in terms of it's sales.

Marvel and DC's attitude is that fans vote with their cash. If they like something they buy it, if they don't they won't buy it. The problem with this logic is that fans don't know if an issue is worth buying or not until they actually buy and then read the issue. Granted if they don't like it they stop buying, but there has to be an initial sale to determine whether the series is worth purchasing each time. That (and accessability being another) is one of the many reasons that first issues usually sell well.

I personally don't like it. They simply refuse to hold their hand up an admit events like OMD were simply bad. It may have got Spidey into the place they wanted him to be in (which was the same place as Ultimate Spidey- so why didn't they promote that?) but it took great pains to get there. They felt it was too bad from a moral standpoint to either kill off or divorce MJ, but they didn't have any compunctions about having their hero making deals with the MU equivalent of Satan.

But, like I say, the point of this thread is not to moan at how poor a series is but offer a solution. A good solution to OMD would have been a divorce or separation of Peter and MJ. That wouldn't have caused as much of a fan backlash, would have garnered at least as many sales and wouldn't have killed any one off, considering as much story potential as having Peter make deals with the Devil without the awkward questions from fans yes

Entity
They should've had Peter follow the advice of GOD himself and let things run their natural course and refuse to give the devil what he wanted and in doing so losing the woman he loves. Then had him dealing with losing the last family he has left and finding yet again another reason to blame his self for the fate of those around him and to once again bring home the great point of the character. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!

Only this time the power was his choice to do whats right and openly admit to the world who he is in doing whats right. In telling the world who he was he made those around him vulnerable and the closest thing he's ever really had to a mother paid the ultimate price for it.

And don't get me wrong, I love Aunt May. I really do. But come on, how many years is she suppose to drag along. How many more times can we take her always being so old and frail for Peter to always have to worry about her so greatly? I mean damn how old is she now? Did Peter really think this deal would make her live forever?

roughrider
Originally posted by PRAYERRUN

No reason to get so hung up about Marvel Zombies. It was obviously an alien virus of such power that it affected any living person. It even had mystical properties, because how could Thor get affected? He's immune to disease - unless it's magically generated. So Wolverine just got something his healing factor couldn't fight, is all.

And the point was the turn all the heroic characters on their head, to show how their attempts to still be themselves are just overriden by zombie flesh-eating needs. It was a big black comedy of a story, not a serious look at an apocalyptic future.

willRules
Originally posted by Entity
They should've had Peter follow the advice of GOD himself and let things run their natural course and refuse to give the devil what he wanted and in doing so losing the woman he loves. Then had him dealing with losing the last family he has left and finding yet again another reason to blame his self for the fate of those around him and to once again bring home the great point of the character. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility!

Only this time the power was his choice to do whats right and openly admit to the world who he is in doing whats right. In telling the world who he was he made those around him vulnerable and the closest thing he's ever really had to a mother paid the ultimate price for it.

And don't get me wrong, I love Aunt May. I really do. But come on, how many years is she suppose to drag along. How many more times can we take her always being so old and frail for Peter to always have to worry about her so greatly? I mean damn how old is she now? Did Peter really think this deal would make her live forever?

I prefer your way to what really happened with OMD, but wouldn't your way still leave writers with the problem of a married Peter Parker?

jalek moye
If he had to get rid of Mary jane and involve the devil then fine I would of had her dying. And the deal with Mephisto would be in exchange for her life there marriage and love would be gone and any woman whom he ever truly loves will be taken from him if they start a relationship. But he remembers all of it just that she and the other women wouldnt

There we have a Spidey who stays single and has more upsetting issues on his mind.

Entity
I prefer your way to what really happened with OMD, but wouldn't your way still leave writers with the problem of a married Peter Parker? I fail to see the problem! confused

jalek moye
I fail to see the problem! confused
exactly spiderman isn't 15 anymore he's in his 20s he should atleast be in a relationship and him being married is fine.

They want the kids to relate better with him tell them to read ultimate spidey or marvel adventures spidey

willRules
I fail to see the problem! confused

The point of the thread was to offer a better solution that would appease both the company and fans. You offered a solution that was certainly better but wouldn't appease everyone (especially Marvel offices). The whole reason behind OMD was to bring about a Peter Parker who was single.

Entity
Originally posted by jalek moye
exactly spiderman isn't 15 anymore he's in his 20s he should atleast be in a relationship and him being married is fine.

They want the kids to relate better with him tell them to read ultimate spidey or marvel adventures spidey Exactly! Originally posted by willRules
The point of the thread was to offer a better solution that would appease both the company and fans. You offered a solution that was certainly better but wouldn't appease everyone (especially Marvel offices). The whole reason behind OMD was to bring about a Peter Parker who was single. Well there's the problem. The fans don't want him divorced! The company, *cough*Quesada*cough* does, so he'll be easier to right. And that's just laziness and personal yearning for nostalgia. Hell even Straczynski didn't want to do it. He hated the idea so much he wanted his name completely off the last two issues of the story once the choice to do it had been made.

So, by your logic then there's no win. If the company does what they want the fans hate it. If the fans get what they want the company bitches about having to wright a married Peter Parker. Which to me is just plan laziness. They want the writing to be simple so they don't have to come up with new ideas and think. Instead they get to tell different versions of the exact same stories over and over again for another decade.

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat!

steverules_2
I actually prefer him married...they already showed him when he thought she was dead and they seperated and got back together, I mean spiderman himself admitted that he needed MJ...he said she's the reason why he'd so great 'Its not just that I love you MJ...I need you' something like that. I'm hoping MJ and Pete get back together cause I see them as one of marvels golden couple and having them divorced is just...it isn't right

The Scribe
I want a Hulk rainbow. cool

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1692/25918138.th.jpg http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5133/captainuniversecoverhul.th.jpg http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2867/smashcvr.th.jpg http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6118/hulkorange.gif

The Scribe
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5037/wildestdreams.th.jpg http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3999/2671.th.jpg http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6748/1907.th.jpg http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2778/rainbowbatman000x0329x4.th.jpg eek!

willRules
Exactly! Well there's the problem. The fans don't want him divorced! The company, *cough*Quesada*cough* does, so he'll be easier to right. And that's just laziness and personal yearning for nostalgia. Hell even Straczynski didn't want to do it. He hated the idea so much he wanted his name completely off the last two issues of the story once the choice to do it had been made.

So, by your logic then there's no win. If the company does what they want the fans hate it. If the fans get what they want the company bitches about having to wright a married Peter Parker. Which to me is just plan laziness. They want the writing to be simple so they don't have to come up with new ideas and think. Instead they get to tell different versions of the exact same stories over and over again for another decade.

Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat!

I agree with your points but I don't hate a single Peter Parker, in fact I appreciate the story potential behind it. I just hate how they got there through OMD. However, whether I like it or not is irrelevant. The point of the thread is to restructure events to reach the same goals (so in the case of OMD a single Peter) but whilst correcting the mistakes the company made. It's asking if it could have been done in a more beneficial way.

Not everything is polarised whereby you either please the company or the fans. OMD is just a great example of something that upset a lot of fans for a variety of reasons, one of which being the method through which they broke up. If they broke up in a way that had a much better structure than a ridiculous Faustian pact, I don't think as many fans would be AS angry as they are.

OMD is perhaps one of the most obvious and controversial example for a thread like this and I really like your approach, but it left us with a married Peter Parker. yes

EDIT: Perhaps a good way Marvel could have done it is by putting Peter in a true lose/lose situation. He disagrees with Mephisto's deal, May dies and MJ is so shocked that she breaks up with him. Same result, Peter isn't villainised as much as he really was in OMD, only from MJ's perspective, and you've got even more room for new, long term cast of characters.

Entity
I guess if I had to do it I would've had MJ be the one that'd got shot and the OMD be his last 24 hours with her before she died. But as I've said I wouldn't have done that at all. One of the main reasons I read comics is for the growth and evolution of the characters. And for me Peter's done the single thing and now he's well into the married part of his life. And not only that but really Mary Jane is like pretty much the only good thing he's actually got since he got his powers and screwed up causing the death of uncle Ben. He needs her, she's the rock that he has to have to hold on to. The one good thing in his life. What really brings him happiness and keeps him sane.

Which is why Mephisto wanted her in the first place. Without her he has no footing on which to keep from eventually giving way to all the pressures brought to him by a world that hates him for jus trying to do whats right and losing his soul in the process.

Jus my point of view on it. erm

GGS
I would of tied Civil War, World War Hulk, Annihilation Wave into one huge event and Secret Invasion as the aftermath.

Hulk's planet could of been destroyed as normal and the Skrull planet could of been destroyed by Galactus or Annihilation Wave.

Hulk and his army could of been caught up in the war on the way to earth and then it leaves Hulk with the decision to either go to earth to get revenge or go to warn them and help them save earth seeing it's his home and he's already lost one planet. It could of made the Hulks progression more mature and realistic as he decides for once to put aside his desire to smash and rage and revenge.

Capt should of been killed by accident by Tony or someone during civil war and ended it prematurely like one of Tony's blasts literally pwn him as he's only human and it would of drove Tony mad with grief and split up the hero community.

So when Hulk landed on earth he'd be like wtf and then it would of been up to Hulk, Sentry and a returned Thor to unite the hero community to defend earth from Thanos and the AW.

Thanos, Galactus, Annihilus could of been big bads on the scale of infinty gauntlet.

Could of got rid of some dead wood characters and stuff and make a epic war. Plus the stress of fighting two wars straight after each other on the scale that they did could of retired alot of hero's. Like Peter could of retired for a while.

Then in the aftermath, a new peter parker is in town running around as spiderman and dead heros suddenly back from the dead = Secret Invasion.

GGS
If the Skrull planet was destroyed in the war by a biological weapon by thanos or someone with only a small part of the population it gives them the perfect backdrop for secret invasion as they are forced to do it for survival and out of real desperation instead of some dodgy prophecy they had to think up and no one would of seen it coming also instead of the shoddy illumanti tie in.

Like they have a few hero genes already or something and are running around as dead heros and missing heros and villians even but the rest of the hero and villian community on earth is like wtf is going on.

Like you could of had a skrull cap running around mudering people etc.

It would of been an easier way to have a new cap running around, Marvell and two Peter Parkers.

As alot of hero's could of been MIA and unaccounted for or dead from the Ahnnialation war.

willRules
Cool, I like the idea of building a stronger relationship between the events. That would appeal to fans of continuity.

I guess if I had to do it I would've had MJ be the one that'd got shot and the OMD be his last 24 hours with her before she died. But as I've said I wouldn't have done that at all. One of the main reasons I read comics is for the growth and evolution of the characters. And for me Peter's done the single thing and now he's well into the married part of his life. And not only that but really Mary Jane is like pretty much the only good thing he's actually got since he got his powers and screwed up causing the death of uncle Ben. He needs her, she's the rock that he has to have to hold on to. The one good thing in his life. What really brings him happiness and keeps him sane.

Which is why Mephisto wanted her in the first place. Without her he has no footing on which to keep from eventually giving way to all the pressures brought to him by a world that hates him for jus trying to do whats right and losing his soul in the process.

Jus my point of view on it. erm

Cool. I think your approach would have been certainly better than OMD, playing up to the title of the storyline as well yes

willRules
BUMP

srankmissingnin
Peter Parker is supposed to be a down on his luck everyman and down on their luck everymen aren't married to the worlds hottest supermodel and actress. Being a freelance photographer who doesn't know where his next check is coming from and who works for a jerk doesn't really matter when you are married to Tyra Banks.

Was OMD the right answer? Maybe not it was needlessly complicated and convoluted. I would kept them married, and have made Mary Jane a washed up ex-model who is kinda dumpy, bitchy and resentful. 20 something versions of Frank and Estelle Costanza. cool

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Peter Parker is supposed to be a down on his luck everyman and down on their luck everymen aren't married to the worlds hottest supermodel and actress. Being a freelance photographer who doesn't know where his next check is coming from and who works for a jerk doesn't really matter when you are married to Tyra Banks.

Was OMD the right answer? Maybe not it was needlessly complicated and convoluted. I would kept them married, and have made Mary Jane a washed up ex-model who is kinda dumpy, bitchy and resentful. 20 something versions of Frank and Estelle Costanza. cool

http://livingelpaso.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/haters.jpg

willRules
I would have done Secret Invasion differently.

It sems the main goal of that was for a shift in the MU towards Dark Reign. It seems Bendis set up a Skrull Invasion to make Osborn the new Nick Fury. I would have done it differently by making the story less of a B-movie alien invasion and more of a psychological horror, more like invasion of the body snatchers, like Bendis originally billed it. The story could have had some great scenes like repelling the Skrulls would be a relliance upon Hank Pym and Reed and then one of the FF finds Hank's dead body. Imagine a great scary moment whereby the superhero salvation is revealed as a villain!

Yes I would have killed off those who the Skrulls replced, except Sue Storm as that wouldn't work, she wouldn't have been replaced. The FF are too integral and editoral wouldn't allow it.

With all the intrigue and mystery (there should be a scene like issue #1 clifhanger whereby a load of retro heroes emerge) both the government and the superhero community are looking for someone to trust. Stark is somehow taken off the board, but not killed and Osborn dons the armour. After all nobody trusts him anyway and the Thunderbolts, he'd be a great asset against the Skrulls.

With Osborn's takedown of the Skrulls, his impression upon the government puts him in his Nick Fury slot.

This would seem much more justified to me than the one off sniper shot at the end of Secret Invasion. It seemed to me that the whole event was a lot of setup just to get there, so I'd at least have some psychological thriller and major character deaths along the way.

Warlord
I would right Sentry to be the interesting character initially apeared to be

Bentley
OMD: I would have made MJ have a brain aneurism, become fat, displeasing, bitter, unemployed and jealous. She harrasses Peter for money.

Yay! Great Spider-man comics!

Prof. Wagstaff
Justice League Cry For Justice:

I would either not have Ollie kill Prometheus, or not have Dinah leave him, and Connor give up on him. And I definitely would have never killed Liam just to have Roy relapse. But most importantly, splitting Ollie and Dinah up...again, is getting old. It would have been more interesting to see them pull through it together. All in all, Ollie's been pretty poorly written for the last 2-3 years imo.

willRules
Originally posted by Prof. Wagstaff
Justice League Cry For Justice:

I would either not have Ollie kill Prometheus, or not have Dinah leave him, and Connor give up on him. And I definitely would have never killed Liam just to have Roy relapse. But most importantly, splitting Ollie and Dinah up...again, is getting old. It would have been more interesting to see them pull through it together. All in all, Ollie's been pretty poorly written for the last 2-3 years imo.

Yeah, they've gone for a sudden shift, I thought for once DC was ahead of Marvel, villainising Ollie in their answer to Marvel's Shadowland. However they kind of chickened out and made it Roy instead.

Even though GA is one of my favourite characters, I still feel if you are going to villainise him, go all the way.....

.....still it was nice to see him brought to the brink and not watch him fall. Part of me is still glad Arsenal is the bad guy now and Ollie is bringing him in.......I just hope we don't have an Kenobi/Vader moment between Ollie and Roy. Ollie's already died twice.

Prof. Wagstaff
Yeah, they've gone for a sudden shift, I thought for once DC was ahead of Marvel, villainising Ollie in their answer to Marvel's Shadowland. However they kind of chickened out and made it Roy instead.

Even though GA is one of my favourite characters, I still feel if you are going to villainise him, go all the way.....

.....still it was nice to see him brought to the brink and not watch him fall. Part of me is still glad Arsenal is the bad guy now and Ollie is bringing him in.......I just hope we don't have an Kenobi/Vader moment between Ollie and Roy. Ollie's already died twice.

I disagree, I feel as if it's poor story telling. We've seen him take a similar road, in the 80's with the longbow hunters. If anything, Identity Crisis should have been an indicator that Ollie is a moral compass in the DCU, and his actions in Robinson's latest story are simply uncharacteristic. Also, it seems like the "Arrow Family" are a punching bag for the company.

willRules
I agree that the Arrow family has become a "punching bag" in recent months.

psycho gundam
This thread is based upon the idea that you have no right to criticise a major event or storyline unless you can do better. So this thread is essentially offering you to come up with a better storyline than a big Marvel/DC/Image/etc etc event or major storyline.

The concept shouldn't be radically changed, just major plot points in order to say, for example, "I didn't like Civil War, but I see what they were trying to do. If only they did this, this and this."

However you must bear in mind your alternative approach must be something workable for the companies. You can't say I would have changed Crisis on Infinite Earth's so everything in all multiverses died. Imagine you are working for the comic company. You have to justify plot points like killing major characters and have to consider fan reaction or comic sales, tie ins and other factors.

So what would you have done differently?????? at the moment all i can think of is how anakin becomes vader.

i'd have anakin and obi-wan part ways and after the prequels and before the classic movies, palpotine sends anakin to kill general grievous in the outer rim as his final push to the dark side.

instead of getting killed in the worse starwars 1 on 1 fight ever, obi does some other unimportant shit leaving anakin to kill him. this time though, grievous fights like he did in the cartoon: hella scary and lethal as phuk, only someone like vader could step to him and after a long and bloody fight anakin triumphs with his knowledge of the force, though at the cost of most of his limbs and health.

he get's picked up and repaired just how grievous originally did when he was badly damaged at some point in his life, and voila, vader is born a cyborg like the great warrior he defeated.

imo, that's way more badass then the final showdown between the two "friends".

obi-wan and anakid did not have to have that fight at all, they were supossed to be good friends, only with anakin's slow progression to the darkside affecting their relationship. the final showdown in a new hope had vader say something to the effect of . this by no means inflected they fought to the death, could have been skipped completely.

psycho gundam
also, the prequels are total shite

RE: Blaxican
Well that... came from nowhere lol.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by psycho gundam
at the moment all i can think of is how anakin becomes vader.

i'd have anakin and obi-wan part ways and after the prequels and before the classic movies, palpotine sends anakin to kill general grievous in the outer rim as his final push to the dark side.

instead of getting killed in the worse starwars 1 on 1 fight ever, obi does some other unimportant shit leaving anakin to kill him. this time though, grievous fights like he did in the cartoon: hella scary and lethal as phuk, only someone like vader could step to him and after a long and bloody fight anakin triumphs with his knowledge of the force, though at the cost of most of his limbs and health.

he get's picked up and repaired just how grievous originally did when he was badly damaged at some point in his life, and voila, vader is born a cyborg like the great warrior he defeated.

imo, that's way more badass then the final showdown between the two "friends".

obi-wan and anakid did not have to have that fight at all, they were supossed to be good friends, only with anakin's slow progression to the darkside affecting their relationship. the final showdown in a new hope had vader say something to the effect of . this by no means inflected they fought to the death, could have been skipped completely.

I'd just change and not give Wan the high ground.

willRules
I guess that counts as there are Star Wars comics.......but I've read like two issues of them from years back.......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.