ROTS Obi Wan vs ANH Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3
All out.

Same place Obi Wan fought Anakin in ROTS.

Hewhoknowsall
This all depends on whether or not OT vader > ROTS Vader.

Red Nemesis
Has ANH Vader's Force strength improved? Surely after TFU he will be able to out-FP Kenobi, right?

I'd call Vader 8/10.

Nephthys
Vader wins.

xxxpoppunker182
are you serious?
obi-wan rocks his crap in sabers and the all out

Red Nemesis
Oh you jokester you.

Lord Lucien
Sabers, maybe. Force----NO WAY. All the way.

alterangel
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
are you serious?
obi-wan rocks his crap in sabers and the all out

Agree.

Obi wan speeds through this and leaves him leaves him as a junk pile.

Red Nemesis
http://static1.videosift.com/thumbs/f/am/Family_Guy_We_need_more_lemon_pledge.jpg
Noooooo.

No.

Just no.

Darth Subjekt
OB1 has youth, speed and is the ultimate master of soresu (spelling?) which the perfect defensive form. Vader's only hope would be via the force... which we all know he likes to use.

Red Nemesis
Vader also has speed- his showings in TFU and Coruscant Knights (evading Aleema) do not support the typical lumbering tank image we have of him. Everything in the EU suggests that his mastery of swordplay increased with time, to say nothing of how incredibly powerful his command of the Force became circa TUF.

Fan Skywalker
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Vader also has speed- his showings in TFU and Coruscant Knights (evading Aleema) do not support the typical lumbering tank image we have of him. Everything in the EU suggests that his mastery of swordplay increased with time, to say nothing of how incredibly powerful his command of the Force became circa TUF.

Aleema = Typo correcto?

Darth Subjekt
Maybe so, but when comparing EU to film, which is what ANH Vader is from, then the film trumps EU. Being that the movies are the higher form of canon, then that's what we must base our opinions on. He seemed to be having a hard enough time with an old OB1 who is far slower and less agile than his ROTS self. ROTS was his respective prime. ANH is far from Vader's prime, and OB1 would, as much as this pains me, beat this incarnation of Vader.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Maybe so, but when comparing EU to film, which is what ANH Vader is from, then the film trumps EU. Being that the movies are the higher form of canon, then that's what we must base our opinions on. He seemed to be having a hard enough time with an old OB1 who is far slower and less agile than his ROTS self. ROTS was his respective prime. ANH is far from Vader's prime, and OB1 would, as much as this pains me, beat this incarnation of Vader. Really? I thought Vader was doing his "thang" pretty well with old Obi.

And those last words are where I segue. Movies may get precedence over the EU, but only if contradiction abounds. As it is, there really is no contradiction between EU such as TFU's version of Vader, and the OT version. There are no direct statements, no direct references stating that what we see in the movies was Vader's all. To allow for that, canon accepts Kenobi's and Yoda' age and out-of-practice lifestyle to drain them, and Luke's performance is quite obviously his lack of skill and training. No true discretion exists (that I know of) in the films to cancel out the EU Vader. As it is, ANH Vader has a much more powerful command of the Force, and if he is allowed to use it, RoTS Kenobi is dead.

His lightsaber skill is pretty ballin' too, but if Kenobi can handle 23 strikes per second from Grievous, he can defeat Vader in a saber-only match.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
but if Kenobi can handle 23 strikes per second from Grievous, he can defeat Vader in a saber-only match. Not necisarily, where Grievous was overwhelming with speed, Vader is totally different with strength. Unbearable strength. Not to mention Vader knows Kenobi's style. Kenobi can't claim the same with Vader.

Janus Marius
Obi-Wan rapes Vader, and then calls him the Chosen One while he ganks his lightsaber and leaves him to flail around hopelessly.

Darth Martin
Vader chokes Kenobi as soon as he's in visual range.

Janus Marius
Fanboy.

Hewhoknowsall
Obi Wan is friends w/Ploo Koon, and the freeze creak ability has a longer range than the force choke ability.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Fanboy. Nice avatar by the way. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Janus Marius
No sense of humor? What a shame.

Darth Martin
Relax friend, I got the joke. thumb up

Janus Marius
Good stuff then. As for the match itself? I dunno. Haven't read RoV or anything after the Clone Wars era, so I'm divided. Obi-Wan still has the advantage over anyone fighting Anakin in that he helped train him for 13 years, and he's one of the premier fighting Jedi of his era, although definitely not top tier. I'd say he has a good chance to manage Vader in combat. Force powers? Unless Vader has vastly improved, I'd say there's nothing to tell if they're still equals or not when it comes to application (not potential).

Darth Martin
Obi-Wan still has the advantage over anyone fighting Anakin in that he helped train him for 13 years, and he's one of the premier fighting Jedi of his era, although definitely not top tier. I'd say he has a good chance to manage Vader in combat. I doubt upon meeting Kenobi will even know it's Vader unless of course he reveals himself. And even if he does, Vader has obviously changed his lightsaber combat form through and through to fit his current state. It's not like Kenobi will know him as he did on Mustafar. Vader is levels stronger, physically that is and is used to fighting multiple Jedi opponents at once. Also, it's not as if Kenobi is Maul, Ventress, or Grievous. He won't use his speed b/c of the face that he is the Soresu master. He'll play defence, and that's not a good strategy against Vader. Vader will bombard Kenobi with barrages of unbearable strikes with his lightsaber.

Force powers? Unless Vader has vastly improved, I'd say there's nothing to tell if they're still equals or not when it comes to application (not potential). He has vastly improved. He spent 20 years developing his powers and connection with the force. While Kenobi was more or less equal to Vader in ROTS. ANH Vader will have leaped him as far as force power.

Advent
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I doubt upon meeting Kenobi will even know it's Vader unless of course he reveals himself. And even if he does, Vader has obviously changed his lightsaber combat form through and through to fit his current state. It's not like Kenobi will know him as he did on Mustafar. Vader is levels stronger, physically that is and is used to fighting multiple Jedi opponents at once. Also, it's not as if Kenobi is Maul, Ventress, or Grievous. He won't use his speed b/c of the face that he is the Soresu master. He'll play defence, and that's not a good strategy against Vader. Vader will bombard Kenobi with barrages of unbearable strikes with his lightsaber.

AHAHAHAHAHA.

HA.

No.

It's stated plain as day in FightSaber (SW Insider Issue # 62) that Vader could not break old Ben Kenobi's guard until he yielded of his own free will. That's pretty sad considering Vader held all the advantages: like you said, he changed his saber form up whereas Obi-Wan did not, Vader kept up to par with his dueling prowess as well, whereas Obi-Wan did not. So, he couldn't defeat his former master even two decades after RotS with all that "enhanced strength".

We know that Vader's swordsmanship had diminished according to George Lucas himself and the official site, which states in the RotJ Q&A section that his "lightsaber prowess had been severely hampered" due to the events on Mustafar.

Vader was also overcome by a neophyte farmboy giving into his nerd rage. Since Luke only had two months of informal training at the most, that's a huge strike against him.

Imagine Obi-Wan in his prime versus Vader. Kenobi would wreck his shit in a saber duel.

Most certainly true, though Kenobi was only equal to Vader in the Force due to extreme emotional distress on Anakin's part; otherwise, I'd be inclined to say RotS Vader > Kenobi.

As for the actual thread, it's hard to say since Kenobi is a way more skilled duelist, yet Vader has shown to be more powerful and proficient with the Force. If I had to place a bet on one, I'd probably pick Kenobi since most duels end up being saber fights anyways. Still, Vader has a nice chance to win.

SIDIOUS 66
Not when one force user is far more powerful than the other.

Janus Marius
Kenobi's defense and counters against Grievous were insane. In less than two minutes, he had the vicious fighter maimed and ripe for the picking. Rewatching the fight just recently, I was pretty surprised by Obi-Wan's impressive evasion maneuvers and counters. He was literally a blur against Grievous, and moreso against Anakin/Vader. I don't see ANH Vader outpacing or breaking through Kenobi's defenses. Even with an older and far less mobile Ben he was unable to do so.

Advent nailed a lot of content above, so I'll avoid repeating her, but kudos.

I'm sorry, is there a predecent for Vader force-pwning someone of RotS Kenobi's skill? Anywhere?

Hewhoknowsall
@Janus:

I agree, Obi Wan totally pwned Grevious in just a few seconds.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Advent
AHAHAHAHAHA.

HA.

No.

It's stated plain as day in FightSaber (SW Insider Issue # 62) that Vader could not break old Ben Kenobi's guard until he yielded of his own free will. That's pretty sad considering Vader held all the advantages: like you said, he changed his saber form up whereas Obi-Wan did not, Vader kept up to par with his dueling prowess as well, whereas Obi-Wan did not. So, he couldn't defeat his former master even two decades after RotS with all that "enhanced strength".

We know that Vader's swordsmanship had diminished according to George Lucas himself and the official site, which states in the RotJ Q&A section that his "lightsaber prowess had been severely hampered" due to the events on Mustafar.

Vader was also overcome by a neophyte farmboy giving into his nerd rage. Since Luke only had two months of informal training at the most, that's a huge strike against him.

Imagine Obi-Wan in his prime versus Vader. Kenobi would wreck his shit in a saber duel.

Most certainly true, though Kenobi was only equal to Vader in the Force due to extreme emotional distress on Anakin's part; otherwise, I'd be inclined to say RotS Vader > Kenobi.

As for the actual thread, it's hard to say since Kenobi is a way more skilled duelist, yet Vader has shown to be more powerful and proficient with the Force. *points and nods like a mute retard* Ung! Uh!

Originally posted by Advent
If I had to place a bet on one, I'd probably pick Kenobi since most duels end up being saber fights anyways. The movies' exception and reverse being Palpatine vs. Yoda.

SIDIOUS 66
Kota.

Even if he didn't, does that mean he couldn't? We do know that Vader is an upper tier force user.

Janus Marius
Could you elaborate? My net is acting up and I can't get Wookieepedia to load to refresh on the topic.

Burden of proof. You have to demonstrate Force prowess above and beyond what RotS Obi-Wan has demonstrated if your entire stance is that ANH Vader >>> Obi-Wan in the Force enough to win the bout. Advent put up a very strong argument for Obi-Wan's saber skills being adequate enough to deal with Vader, and I for one agree.

Upper tier for what era? Post-PT? After the eclipse of the Golden Age of the Jedi? A maimed shell of his own former untapped potential?

Fan Skywalker
Could you elaborate? My net is acting up and I can't get Wookieepedia to load to refresh on the topic.

I suspect Sidious was alluding to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3JmpHUSu0 2:30-2:40

Lord Lucien
Was Kota established in canon as being of Kenobi's equal in the Force?

SIDIOUS 66
Could you elaborate? My net is acting up and I can't get Wookieepedia to load to refresh on the topic. Thanks Fan Skywalker. smile

Don't forget how easy Dooku swept him aside, and Dooku is not as powerful as Vader.

Not a good arguement for an all out setting.

Vader<<< full potential Anakin

Every force user<<< full potential Anakin

How exactly does -Vader not reaching his full potential- make him weak?

Janus Marius
Well, me having net problems isn't helping when I'm given a YouTube video URL. I had to stop automatic loading of images just so the throttled net could muster up KMC. But I do appreciate something to reference tomorrow when the threshold is lifted.

What are you basing this on, exactly? Vader is clearly weaker than his full potential by GL's own admission. Dooku is noted as being perhaps the best practitioner of TK in the Jedi Order (His teachings on TK are mandatory) and is noted by Yoda as being the greatest student in the Force among the Jedi Order (excepting obviously himself, since Yoda's mastery of the Force is the best in the movies).

Since when using the Force, precision and mastery are just as important if not moreso than raw potential, I don't see your point. Obi-Wan stalemated Anakin's Force push at point blank range while both were fighting. Previously, Anakin's greatest Force feat is yelling in uncontrolled rage and the resulting shockwaves destroyed a roof. Yoda has less potential than Skywalker according to Qui-Gon Jinn, but if you argued that Vader OR Anakin would pwn Yoda using the Force, you'd be seriously arguing a hopeless cause.

I mean, potential isn't everything. If I have a Dodge Viper and I haven't learned to use a manual without stalling, am I going to beat a racer who's in a Geo Metro automatic? Probably not.

Considering all your arguments thus far are one-liners with blanket statements and absolutes which you don't back up with some kind of debating talent, I have to question your idea of a "good argument".

Saber battle IS the dominant method of fighting other Force users, unless the difference in power is so vast that one can dominate the other. Dooku dominated Ventress easily because of his ability with the Force, for example. You wouldn't see Anakin Skywalker dominating her with the Force, even though he has more potential than either of them. The idea of "OMG Furce god!!!111" winning the battle without drawing his blade is unfounded.

You're not substantiating anything more than Vader's relative strength to his own lost potential here. Yes, Anakin is the king of potential in the PT. Yes, Vader is weaker. But losing potential is not the same as say, gaining mastery over what you've already tapped. RotS Anakin had far more potential than anyone who had ever beaten him. But he hadn't tapped into his potential and mastered his own powers. ANH Vader may or may not have mastered his limited potential in a manner which would be considerable enough to threaten Obi-Wan Kenobi, but the onus is on you to prove that using source material.

You haven't done that. Please post again when you can.

Red Nemesis
Ha. Onus.

SIDIOUS 66
Well, me having net problems isn't helping when I'm given a YouTube video URL. I had to stop automatic loading of images just so the throttled net could muster up KMC. But I do appreciate something to reference tomorrow when the threshold is lifted. The video shows how Vader easily chokes and throws kota to the side with the force.

Ok??? I believe just about any SW fan knows that.

One of. And source please?

We know how good Vader is with TK by his feats.

Kinda hard for Yoda to include Vader, huh?

Right after Sidious, yeah.

Vader's mastery>>> Anakin's

Very simple. Vader is far more powerful than Obi Wan in the force.

Since he stalemated Anakin (with very little mastery over the dark side) in the force that means he can do the same with Vader (with far greater mastery over the dark side)?

Wow! And Vader, with more control and mastery, tore down a huge hut that was as durable as durasteel.

What the hell are you talking about? lol

That is kinda my point with Vader. Though he didn't reach his full potential, he still became far more powerful than his ROTS incarnation.

Ok?

Sorry for not throwing in a bunch of irrelevent statements.

The difference is vast. We are talking about the guy who gave Starkiller a good fight. The same Starkiller who gripped a stardestroyer and redirected it.

Do you read up much on EU Vader?

There is a difference in Anakin and Vader.

Even if they do begin a saber battle, what makes you think he can't easily take Kenobi out with the force, like Dooku did?

Exactly, Vader has far more Mastery than he as Anakin.

Vader has shown far greater strength and mastery over the force than Kenobi ever has. Vader's displays of TK are even greater than Dooku's, who easily swept Kenobi aside.

Gideon
From Death Star.

"With that, Obi-Wan stepped in and cut. Vader blocked the attack easily. Obi-Wan attacked again, and again, Vader blocked each strike.

If the old man thought he could rattle him by attacking instead of defending, he was mistaken. Vader riposted, sped up his timing, and took the initiative, forcing the erstwhile Jedi to defend.

He still had some skill, his old Master did, but he was out of practice. Vader could feel it in the Force.

Obi-Wan twirled and blocked a slash, then wove a defensive pattern with his blade. The Force was still with the old Jedi; he was able to anticipate Vader's strikes and block or parry them. But after a quick exchange, Vader felt the energy shift in his favor. "Your powers are weak, old man."

Vader shoved, hard, and they broke the clash. Obi-Wan retreated a step.

Vader felt the fierce anticipation of victory pound in his heart. "You should not have come back," he told the Jedi.

Another exchange -- four, five, six attacks and blocks -- and Vader knew the old man was weakening. The Force might be strong in Obi-Wan, but the dark side was stronger in Vader. It let him anticipate his adversary's strikes and counter them almost before they began.

Obi-Wan knew it, too. He began to retreat, backing away, his lightsaber itself seeming weaker as he moved.

But just as he was ready to deliver the final strike, Obi-Wan managed a fast series of attacks, and Vader had to move quickly to avoid the strikes. Even as old and weak as Obi-Wan was, his technique was accomplished enough that a foolish move on Vader's part could still be fatal."

I'm not certain if it was being argued that Kenobi's swordsmanship at this point is superior to Vader's, but the passage from Death Star and all available evidence doesn't conclude as much. The fact that Vader may not have been able to penetrate Obi-Wan Kenobi's defense is not a sign that he is the inferior duelist. This passage indicates quite clearly that while Kenobi held his own quite well, the fight was inexorably heading in Vader's favor.

Sixty-six is right, however. Vader has demonstrated vastly superior feats in the Force -- far greater than when he was whole, and certainly greater than anything Obi-Wan Kenobi has done. Force-wise, it's not close; Kenobi isn't in Vader's league.

Hewhomknowsall
@ Gideon:

Hmm I would have to agree, Vader is much better with the Force than Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan is much more skilled.

Darth Martin
Vader hasn't lost his skill, just his mobility.

Hewhoknowsall
WTF??? Who is "Hewhomknowsall"????????????? That's NOT a sock of me....

Captain_REX
Oh really? Your matching IP addresses would beg to differ.

Captain REX
Hilarious.

Advent
Originally posted by Gideon
From Death Star.

"With that, Obi-Wan stepped in and cut. Vader blocked the attack easily. Obi-Wan attacked again, and again, Vader blocked each strike.

If the old man thought he could rattle him by attacking instead of defending, he was mistaken. Vader riposted, sped up his timing, and took the initiative, forcing the erstwhile Jedi to defend.

He still had some skill, his old Master did, but he was out of practice. Vader could feel it in the Force.

Obi-Wan twirled and blocked a slash, then wove a defensive pattern with his blade. The Force was still with the old Jedi; he was able to anticipate Vader's strikes and block or parry them. But after a quick exchange, Vader felt the energy shift in his favor. "Your powers are weak, old man."

Vader shoved, hard, and they broke the clash. Obi-Wan retreated a step.

Vader felt the fierce anticipation of victory pound in his heart. "You should not have come back," he told the Jedi.

Another exchange -- four, five, six attacks and blocks -- and Vader knew the old man was weakening. The Force might be strong in Obi-Wan, but the dark side was stronger in Vader. It let him anticipate his adversary's strikes and counter them almost before they began.

Obi-Wan knew it, too. He began to retreat, backing away, his lightsaber itself seeming weaker as he moved.

But just as he was ready to deliver the final strike, Obi-Wan managed a fast series of attacks, and Vader had to move quickly to avoid the strikes. Even as old and weak as Obi-Wan was, his technique was accomplished enough that a foolish move on Vader's part could still be fatal."

I'm not certain if it was being argued that Kenobi's swordsmanship at this point is superior to Vader's, but the passage from Death Star and all available evidence doesn't conclude as much. The fact that Vader may not have been able to penetrate Obi-Wan Kenobi's defense is not a sign that he is the inferior duelist. This passage indicates quite clearly that while Kenobi held his own quite well, the fight was inexorably heading in Vader's favor.

When reading literature, one must take into account what perspective the writing is intended to be read in. Otherwise, I've found that the default assumption is that there is a narrator with unlimited omniscience. From what you've provided (I've never read DS), Death Star is written in a closed third-person viewpoint. I've noticed quite a few SW novels are written that way.

What that means is that the story is actually being told from the perspective of the characters; being able to jump from character to character in its views. According to Wookiepedia (a dubious source at best), the novel does follow the events from several characters.

So, what's said can't be taken at face value given that we're reading it from a character who's a fallible source. I'm only saying that in regards to your point about the upper hand falling towards Vader.

Anyways, to clear the point up to you: it wasn't that Vader might be "inferior" to Ben Kenobi, it's that he wasn't the clear superior by any means. This was a man who had been out of practice for nearly two decades and who's physical attributes atrophied during his exile. As said, Vader held every card in his favor, but still failed to come near to overcoming Kenobi.

Advent
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Vader hasn't lost his skill, just his mobility.

Except for the direct declaration from the official site, using George Lucas' words, stating that his injuries "severely hampered his lightsaber prowess", and the fact that he got overwhelmed by a greenhorn Luke Skywalker with maybe only two months -possibly even as little as two weeks- of formal training. The same Luke, who in the same answer on the Q&A of RotJ (in regards to the question: "How could Luke beat Vader?"wink, that isn't "as skilled or athletic as the young Jedi of the prequels" and who swings his lightsaber around like he overdosed on a bottle of Flintstone's vitamins with a baseball bat in his hands.

No, it's demonstrably evident that his skills have lessened and by a significant margin. Prior to being mechanized, he was capable of disarming and directly breaking the guard of Count Dooku in less than thirty seconds once they fought one-on-one. He also was shown to be far more skilled than RotS Kenobi, even when being under extreme emotional distress (diminishing his skills and power greatly as a Jedi thrives on their ability to keep mental clarity - the same goes for Sith in terms of knowing who and what they are), he held the upper hand.

The Vader you're talking about couldn't even beat a much shittier version of Obi-Wan (in terms of skills, as it goes to badassery - Old Ben > Obi-Wan).

Wolverine2179
I'm a little confused with vader most of the time now, in the eu he is able to beat the shit out of a jedi with a choke hold that tore part a space station(rahm kota) but he can't exactly do the same to ben which by ANH is pretty old and not as powerful as his former self.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.