Crashing things into planets/moons?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
I noticed the Kaguya (selene) lunar observation satellite was crashed into the moon last week, the LCROSS spacecraft will attempt that trick later this year.

Crashing into the moon produces a fireball, which allows astronomers to estimate the "luminous efficiency" of objects hitting the Moon. Luminous efficiency is a key parameter required to interpret genuine lunar meteorite impacts. Also, hitting the Moon might uncover something interesting--like evidence of water.

But what if there is actually something unusual living there, and is now well pissed off. And that something has odd powers or is advanced technologicaly?

Is it a good idea to willy nilly crash craft into other planets, moon or asteroids.

heres the probes last approach..

AxDNWXZpC3g

Symmetric Chaos
You're worried about civilizations far more advanced than us living on asteroids and unable to protect themselves from a crashing piece of Earth tech?

FeelGood
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You're worried about civilizations far more advanced than us living on asteroids and unable to protect themselves from a crashing piece of Earth tech? Give it time, give it time.

Bicnarok
You're worried about civilizations far more advanced than us living on asteroids and unable to protect themselves from a crashing piece of Earth tech?

I don't think you understand how different and versatile life could be. There might be something energetic we cannot comprehend and we've just cratered a part of its energy field or something. And now its going yo zap us.

Ok this might seem like sci fi stuff, but we know very little about what could exist out there imo.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I don't think you understand how different and versatile life could be. There might be something energetic we cannot comprehend and we've just cratered a part of its energy field or something. And now its going yo zap us.

Ok this might seem like sci fi stuff, but we know very little about what could exist out there imo.

Well obviously it's pretty easy to hurt. Probes hardly qualify as our most dangerous weapons, I see no potential danger.

The Scribe
Why can't they be sent out of the Milky Way?

They can be sent to the Snickers or Mars Galaxies. big grin

Bicnarok
Well obviously it's pretty easy to hurt. Probes hardly qualify as our most dangerous weapons, I see no potential danger.

of course not, but if a chunk of something fell on your house demolishing the neighbourhood and you were a touchy entity, then ....

FeelGood
I'd prefer if we had no contact ever and left well enough alone, better for us. No chance of painful death from an alien.

Symmetric Chaos
of course not, but if a chunk of something fell on your house demolishing the neighbourhood and you were a touchy entity, then ....

I'd try to communicate rather than retaliate suicidally against someone who can randomly cause massive property damage. Eventually I it would probably be established that a mistake had been made.

Bicnarok
You would, maybe "they" are different.

I guess I think we are using a very heavy handed, respect less approach to space exploration.

Ushgarak
If they are 'different', maybe they LIKE having bits of metal crashed into them.

If you are going to base your hypothesis on completely random sci-fi style guessing about alien life then that makes just as much sense as your inane fears.

This is total trash.

The Dark Cloud
We have no respect for our own world. Why should we respect any other?

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
We have no respect for our own world. Why should we respect any other?

AHA!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
If they are 'different', maybe they LIKE having bits of metal crashed into them.

If you are going to base your hypothesis on completely random sci-fi style guessing about alien life then that makes just as much sense as your inane fears.

This is total trash. What that dude said I do agree with.

There's no reason to assume that crashing a probe on the moon would piss those hypothetical beings any more of than say....jacking one out after midnight.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ushgarak

This is total trash.

Obviously this is a very specific type of alien that happens to be similar in a way that makes them vulnerable, mentally different in exactly the way that results in them attacking us and invulnerable in a way that makes them impossible to hurt except in the way the we tried before which we won't be able to do again for some reason.

Honestly, don't you think the odds of that happening are pretty high?

Robtard

Is it a good idea to willy nilly crash craft into other planets, moon or asteroids.

Yes, as I wouldn't want to risk having one of our satelites drift deep, deep, deep into space and strike a passing alien space vessel, which in turn could lead them back here wanting to collect on damages.

or see: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (it's a shit film though)

dadudemon
Obviously this is a very specific type of alien that happens to be similar in a way that makes them vulnerable, mentally different in exactly the way that results in them attacking us and invulnerable in a way that makes them impossible to hurt except in the way the we tried before which we won't be able to do again for some reason.

Honestly, don't you think the odds of that happening are pretty high?
lol what?

lil bitchiness
It seems highly unlikely. Besides, we should be more worried about potential bacteria that have been dormant for millions of years under the ice (now melting) then some ''alien'' who is getting pissed for whatever reason.

Although there is a greater possibility that little bacteria and other organisms living underneath layers of ice would die off or get contaminated themselves, as soon as they get in touch with us but you never know....

Robtard
Those bacteria and/or virus for eons ago could also give us super-powers, instead genital fungal infections and runny noses, just saying.

lil bitchiness
Super powers! Excellent.

More likely scenario, however is that it will make us all into flesh eating zombies.

lil bitchiness
On second thought, this is how Global Warming should have been marketed - a possibility of zombie pandemic if we don't recycle. Ching-ching!

dadudemon
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
On second thought, this is how Global Warming should have been marketed - a possibility of zombie pandemic if we don't recycle. Ching-ching!

It's "cha-ching." Newb.

lil bitchiness
No. I will say it how I see fit. And don't troll me.

dadudemon
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
No. I will say it how I see fit. And don't troll me.

I wasn't trolling you, I was imparting knowledge so you wouldn't say something like that in front of others who would then in turn make fun of you for your newbishness.

Would you rather "hear" it from an internet nerd who posts things like "bewbz" or would you rather hear it from your boss or new found Canadian friends?

Rogue Jedi
Death Star FTW

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Death Star FTW

Yeh if the moon happened to be a death star cloaked, that would surely have a negative effect.

Cool sig by the way.

GCG
Riddick !

=Tired Hiker=
What if the moon itself was a living creature, did you ever think of that? The moon may be sleeping, like an armadillo rolled into a ball, possibly hibernating, taking a galactic nap; a mere second of it's life might be centuries to us. I think it's best we leave it alone and not wake it, don't you?

Bardock42
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
What if the moon itself was a living creature, did you ever think of that? The moon may be sleeping, like an armadillo rolled into a ball, possibly hibernating, taking a galactic nap; a mere second of it's life might be centuries to us. I think it's best we leave it alone and not wake it, don't you? N-no, if that ****er was alive he'd be our best ****ing ally against the inevitable alien attacks in the near future.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Bardock42
N-no, if that ****er was alive he'd be our best ****ing ally against the inevitable alien attacks in the near future.

Let's hope so . . . let's hope so.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.