How strong is Iron Man?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
How strong is Iron Man in his Mark III armor at full power? What movie character is he comparable with when it comes to physical strength? How many tons can he lift?

Keep in mind the following:

T-800
T-X
Data
Spider-Man
Thing
Colossus
Mr. Incredible
King Kong

Here's a gauntlet of feats. Could he do them at full power? List the ones you can see him doing and explain the ones you think he couldn't do.

1. Break out of thick steel chains.
2. Bend jail cell bars made of steel.
3. Lift an SUV
4. Hold up that closing wall in T3: Rise of the Machines that T-850 held up.
5. Floor RoboCop w/ one punch.
6. Floor Mr. Incredible w/ one punch.
7. Stop the speeding train in Spiderman 2.
8. Make a blindfolded King Kong notice you with a punch.
9. Make a blindfolded Hulk notice you with a punch.

Robtard
He struggled with that Audi SUV, but he was also low on power.

Rogue Jedi
I doubt Iron Man could make Hulk even giggle.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Robtard
He struggled with that Audi SUV, but he was also low on power. He's at full power here.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Martin
He's at full power here.

And we do not have a movie strength feat with him at full capacity to go by.

But is we use some simple (ie retard) math, that Audi weighed about 5500lbs (with people), he was at about 10% power, iirc. So his max would be about 28 tons.

Rogue Jedi
damn.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
damn.

Which means Spider-man over-powers him, rips off the 'underwear' portion of his suit and has his spider-way with Tony.

Rogue Jedi
Which means Spider-man over-powers him, rips off the 'underwear' portion of his suit and has his spider-way with Tony. Got yerself a boner eh?

Robtard
Got yerself a boner eh?

Raging one.

Want me to include Harry Potter in the convo, so you can join in?

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker
i can better answer this if/when a lot strength feats are featured in IM 2 ands beyond

dadudemon
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i can better answer this if/when a lot strength feats are featured in IM 2 ands beyond

QFT. yes

Robtard
In IM2, he lifts about 28 tons, not easy, but he does it.

dadudemon
In IM2, he lifts about 28 tons, not easy, but he does it.

You're...serious? Does he really?

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?!?!?!!?

sad

Robtard
No, I was trying to pass off my retard-math as fact.

How funny will it be if it turns out to be spot-on.

dadudemon
No, I was trying to pass off my retard-math as fact.

How funny will it be if it turns out to be spot-on.

Dude....

I was wondering how you saw the movie from your posts earlier in this thread until that last post. It seemed kind of weird that the numbers match. laughing

But, true, that would be awesome if your numbers matched...kind of like guessing the mood of a woman as you can never tell what those guys will do to our comic book heroes when they hit the big screen. sad

Nightstick
I don't know the exact weight of the the SUV, but general they are around 3-4 tons give or take. When he lifted it he was at 19% power. Now my math isn't the best, but I think that means his full power lifting capacity is around 20 tons. With rounding of course.

This means he can bend steel easy. Low quality steel bends at roughly 2 tons. I doubt the high grade stuff is 10x stronger.

As for Thing and Spider-Man assuming you mean movie versiond. They could both over power him. Spider-man was able to hold a tram car with one hand. From what I understand the weight on one of those is around 15 tons. The Thing was able to support much of the weight of the London Eye which weighs over a 1,000tons. even if we discount that he was able to lift/move a fire truck in in the first F4 movie and fire trucks typicaly weigh between 14 and 28tons depending on load and make.

Kong assuming new Kong. Was picking up and tossing cars(likely in the 2 ton range) and could overpower the jaws of t-rex like dinosaurs. Even crocodiles have a jaw power of around 2tons. However as your average gorillas is estimated to be in the strength range of 1-2 tons at least and Kong is about 5x bigger then your average gorilla 25ft vs 5ft. If his strength scales up propuortionatly then he is aorund 10 tons. Indicating that their is a good chance that Iron-Man could seriously hurt him.

Darth Martin
I'm not asking could he beat Spider-Man in strength, I'm asking could he floor him in one punch.

HumanMovieGuide
Hard to say exactly how strong is Tony at full power but I'm going to address Ben and Bob's strength level.

Now the total weight of the London Eye is 1870 tons, but lifting that thing was more Invisible Woman's feat than Thing's considering when the Eye first disconnect from the support, it was Sue that caught it with her forcefield and was pulling it back up before Ben and Reed even joined in. I serious doubt she decided to let Ben and Reed do all the lifting after they joined, but kept a forcefield around it for the hell of it.

That being said I would think Ben's strength level is more or less around the level of comic Thing based off his showings in the first film.

Now Mr. Incredible is a legitimate class 100. Just like Spiderman, Mr. Incredible had to stop a train at the very beginning of the film when one of Bomb Voyage's bombs blew up the tracks. Unlike Spiderman, instead of needing several minutes, miles of track, a ton of webbing, and exhausting himself into unconsciousness, Bob just ran up to the train to stop it and made it look easy. He was also careful unlike Hancock who friggin derailed a train.

Then later when Bob was returning from retirement, he was exercising in the railways by pulling entire trains and using the tanker cars as dumb bells. Bob's best strength feat was in his final battle with the Omnidroid when the droid destroyed Violet's forcefield, and attempted to crush her. However Bob got underneath that thing and was outmuscling it. Remember the final Omnidroid is pretty much a 100+ ft metal sphere, so we can only guess how much it weighs.

HumanMovieGuide
One more misconception I'm going to address are Spiderman's tram and train feats. Those are not lifting feats, they're iron grip feats. A person's iron grip is way stronger than their lifting strength. You could even try it for yourself by finding a ledge or bar to hold onto and take your feet off the ground. Pretty easy right? Well you just held up your entire body weight with your iron grip. See not too hard. Now find a person who's about your weight and try to lift him up. Way harder now right? So while it was impressive Peter was able to hold on and not get ripped apart especially by the train, it's not a lifting feat.

And if you still insist it's a lifting feat, that by your logic Ellen Ripley and Mr. Incredible's wife Elastigirl can easily lift up several tons since Elastigirl held up an RV with her family inside and Ripley was able to support the entire weight of a Queen Alien AND resist the vacuum of space pulling her down. But last I checked other than having a powerful iron grip, both women are only possess the strength of a very fit normal woman.

Darth Martin
Yeah Iron Man isn't a Class 90-95 like his 616 counterpart.

Colossus-Big C
20 tons at max power eh?
spiderman wrecks him
colossus doesnt notice him

jinXed by JaNx
Iron man could bench a car and maybe prop up one side of a tank but that's probably about it.

XanatosForever
1. Break out of thick steel chains.

Yes.

2. Bend jail cell bars made of steel.

Yes.

3. Lift an SUV

Yes.

4. Hold up that closing wall in T3: Rise of the Machines that T-850 held up.

Maybe, leaning towards yes. Those doors likely didn't have all that much pressure behind them beyond enough to shut them.

5. Floor RoboCop w/ one punch.

I'm unsure of RoboCop's durability, so I'm going to say maybe leaning towards yes.

6. Floor Mr. Incredible w/ one punch.

No way in hell, for reasons previously mentioned. Mr. Incredible is just too durable.

7. Stop the speeding train in Spiderman 2.

Yes. I think his grip can match Spidey's, plus unlike Spidey, Tony can use repulsor blasts or just his boot jets to help slow down the train faster.

8. Make a blindfolded King Kong notice you with a punch.

I think so. King Kong was Gargantuan, but mostly normal in terms of animal traits and durability.

9. Make a blindfolded Hulk notice you with a punch.

Only if Hulk wasn't already focused on something else.

Kazenji
I doubt Iron Man could make Hulk even giggle.

Until he makes the Hulkbuster Armor in the movies...

Scythe
Originally posted by Kazenji
Until he makes the Hulkbuster Armor in the movies...

Sometime down the road, I'd like to see him make it and use it.

the ninjak
Inertial Dampeners are needed for some REAL Ironman. Feats on screen.

He is just a tin bucket right now.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
20 tons at max power eh?
spiderman wrecks him
colossus doesnt notice him

Colossus has no feats. All of his feats in X3, Iron Man can duplicate. Spider-Man wrecks him? He took a tank shell at a thousand feet or so then fell down from the atmosphere. His reaction speeds are actually pretty impressive in the suit. Let's not go on to mention that Iron Man soaked up all of Iron Monger's weapons and attacks at very low and decreasing power levels.

Spider-Man might be physically stronger based on feats but I don't see him hurting Iron Man with blunt force that bad. Iron Monger knocked Iron Man around but it wasn't killing him or damaging suit beyond repair. It was mostly slight internal bending or cosmetic damage. Iron Man at full power would probably wreck Stane in a fight. That's just the Mark III; the Iron Man 2 models(w/ exception of Mark V) would be ownage.

Doctor-Alvis
I don't think his power levels are directly proportional to his lifting power or durability.

Darth Martin
Hard to say. I think he could easily destroy a T-800 with in strict H2H combat.

DarkNemesis
Hmm I've been wondering about Iron Man's strength level for a while, not sure how I missed this thread.

Several people already mentioned the SUV feat from the first movie. But there's one thing, the SUV was dropped onto him, he didn't lift it up. To illustrate my point, if your maximum lifting was, say, 200lbs, and you get a 180lb object dropped onto you, would you be able to catch it? Doubtful. So it stands to reason that even at low power (19% power, just watched the scene), his pure lifting strength should be higher.

There aren't many feats from Iron Man 2 either, but he did kick aside that car and sent it skidding about 30 feet away on the Indy race track. And that was in the inferior Mark V suitcase armor too.

So I'm not really sure where he lies compared to the other Marvel characters. Stronger than Hulk? Hell no. Spider-Man? Not sure, but I -may- be leaning towards a yes.

As for the gauntlet:

1-5 he clears.

Hell no to 6, Mr. Incredible's durability is beyond Iron Man's scope.

7 probably, is he also supposed to hold on to the webs and stop it with pure strength? Or is he to stop the train with his own tools and methods? If the latter, he clears with ease.

8 is a yes, as someone mentioned, I don't think Kong's durability is any superior to an ordinary ape.

9 should also be a yes, if all he needs to do is make Hulk notice him. Hurting him however is a no, especially if it's 2003 Hulk.

Dexward
Ok, all of this is based purely on the films. But the films don't get everything right. The authority is Marvel Comics. not the movies. And in the comics, Iron Man is FAR stronger than Spiderman. Its not even close. The scene in Spiderman 2 with the train was just ridiculous. Spiderman is nowhere near that strong. According to Marvel's database at Marvel,wikia, Spiderman can lift 10 tons. And Iron Man can lift over 100 tons. Case closed

Dexward
Also, in the comics, Iron Man has fought Hulk many times, and can indeed hurt him. Iron Man is a badass

Robtard
Originally posted by Dexward
Ok, all of this is based purely on the films. But the films don't get everything right. The authority is Marvel Comics. not the movies. And in the comics, Iron Man is FAR stronger than Spiderman. Its not even close. The scene in Spiderman 2 with the train was just ridiculous. Spiderman is nowhere near that strong. According to Marvel's database at Marvel,wikia, Spiderman can lift 10 tons. And Iron Man can lift over 100 tons. Case closed

LoL, no. While Spider-Man is listed at Class 10, he has feats that put him well over Class 50 in the comics at times.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5974/spidertrain.jpg

That's an Amtrack Superliner II passenger car train. Amtrack has them listed at 85 tons. So that's Spider-Man showing Class 85 strength.

BlackZero30x
not to mention this:

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt240/ScarletSpeed/1121648-what_if___back_in_black_020_super.jpg

He definitely appears to be near Tonys strength in this.

Mindset
Spiderman has great high end strength feats, IM has better.

kirkjames1
So, according to the latest trailer of the new movie, Iron Man can now carry up to 4 people. Ok, it is not about his muscle power, just his flying/booster capability, but still, 500lbs can probably be carried by Robin (from the 60's Batman series) alone powering a pedal-copter.

KingD19
That means nothing. Just means he can't fly properly because his jets aren't designed for that type of weight and meant to still fly properly. Put him on the ground and he could hold every person there without even straining it.

Also keep in mind the thrusters are already keeping the suit aloft, which must weigh into the high hundreds, low thousands of pounds without power.

dadudemon
LoL, no. While Spider-Man is listed at Class 10, he has feats that put him well over Class 50 in the comics at times.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5974/spidertrain.jpg

That's an Amtrack Superliner II passenger car train. Amtrack has them listed at 85 tons. So that's Spider-Man showing Class 85 strength.

1. That is not him picking up all 85 tons: it is one side. That's not 85 tons.
2. That is not the same car as the "Amtrak Superliner II". It looks more like that Amtrak Superliner I. However, the proportions are all off. The car is actually much smaller than the real thing...unless Spiderman was 9 feet tall in that image? Notice how the door in the center extends all the way to the opt of the car and the Superliner's are quite small...in comparison to the rest of the car (because those passenger cars are very big).
3. There is quite a bit of disheveling going on in that image and at least some of the mass of that car is missing.
4. The artist's intention could have been a lifting feat of 5 tons (my estimate based on the height of the car being muuuuch lower than a Superliner): it is thin aluminum and fluff. The artist does not necessarily have a spec sheet on the mass/weight of every object every super hero/villain will lift. If the writers wish to indicate a lifting feat, they almost always list that weight. So we do not know if they intended to make a poor and much smaller copy of a Superliner or not.

Conclusion: That's not an 85-ton lifting feat. It is much less.

My estimate: 5 tons.

Justifications:

1. It looks similar to but not exactly like a Superliner. Main difference is it is much smaller. Cars of similar size weigh around 10 tons.
2. It is unloaded: no passengers and no bags.
3. It is missing quite a bit of its mass because it is literally falling apart.

Conclusion: the car weighs 5 tons.

Robtard
1) Incorrect. If you look closely, the rear of the train is off the ground as well, so he'd be supporting all of it. I initially thought it was on the ground as well; then I zoomed.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/541/spidermanpwnddm.png

2) Looks like a Amtrack Superliner II to me, but an Amtrack Superliner I weighs 80tons.

3) Artist often take liberties and don't draw exactly to scale; that doesn't mean they're literally trying to draw something else. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

Conclusion: Your estimate is off by a tremendous amount, like 70-80 tons worth.

Silent Master
Originally posted by kirkjames1
So, according to the latest trailer of the new movie, Iron Man can now carry up to 4 people. Ok, it is not about his muscle power, just his flying/booster capability, but still, 500lbs can probably be carried by Robin (from the 60's Batman series) alone powering a pedal-copter.

Iron-man lifted/caught an SUV in the first movie while at approx 19% power.

SUV's weigh well over 500lbs.

Mindset
Originally posted by dadudemon
1. That is not him picking up all 85 tons: it is one side. That's not 85 tons.
2. That is not the same car as the "Amtrak Superliner II". It looks more like that Amtrak Superliner I. However, the proportions are all off. The car is actually much smaller than the real thing...unless Spiderman was 9 feet tall in that image? Notice how the door in the center extends all the way to the opt of the car and the Superliner's are quite small...in comparison to the rest of the car (because those passenger cars are very big).
3. There is quite a bit of disheveling going on in that image and at least some of the mass of that car is missing.
4. The artist's intention could have been a lifting feat of 5 tons (my estimate based on the height of the car being muuuuch lower than a Superliner): it is thin aluminum and fluff. The artist does not necessarily have a spec sheet on the mass/weight of every object every super hero/villain will lift. If the writers wish to indicate a lifting feat, they almost always list that weight. So we do not know if they intended to make a poor and much smaller copy of a Superliner or not.

Conclusion: That's not an 85-ton lifting feat. It is much less.

My estimate: 5 tons.

Justifications:

1. It looks similar to but not exactly like a Superliner. Main difference is it is much smaller. Cars of similar size weigh around 10 tons.
2. It is unloaded: no passengers and no bags.
3. It is missing quite a bit of its mass because it is literally falling apart.

Conclusion: the car weighs 5 tons. Lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.