What kind of collector are you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deathlok
Are you, doggedly pursuing a series to keep the the run complete?

OR

do you read the stories you only really enjoy, leaving & returning to a particular series as the creative team dictates?

I use to follow series regardless of the creative team. I wanted to have nice complete or as near to complete runs of mainstay books as possible. Then, as I martured, I started to follow only those creative teams I liked. I have gaps in my collection all over the place.

In the last few years, I started to buy every issue of particular books, no matter how bad it began. I realize that a book will have an ebb & flow to it.

So now, I hunt the 50 cent bins ( or cheaper!) for those issues needed to fill holes.

Currently, I am 30 issues away from a complete Avengers West Coast run. Less than 25 issues needed to complete a run of Guardians of the Galaxy from the 1990s. ( Yes, I know its not all that great, but I enjoy it for what it is!)

I have almost 1/2 of all Batman & Detective books out.

Amazing Spidey, Cap ( I have ALMOST every issue since #100! ), Avengers, Daredevil are some books I have considerable runs.

Of those, Daredevil is the only book that I consider a complete run actually, realistically, attainable.

I do not have that many books that I do with "complete run" thing with. The list is less than 10. But I am trying to fill holes on some series that are no longer with us, like Adam Warlock & the Infinity Watch, Peter Parker, Spect. Spidey, Marvel team Up ( the original)

SO how about you?

The Nuul
Depends on whos on the team imo will determine if I stay on or not, so in series I will come and go.

Mindship
Selective, sporadic. I like intercompany crossovers (eg, DC vs Marvel), and also anything with good multicharacter development (eg, Superman/Batman).

Digi
There's a few that I collect rigidly. I have every appearance of the Authority (or any Authority characters individually) ever, as well as every appearance for all incarnations of Death's Head (I, II, Death Metal, Death Wreck, etc.). That won't change, though the "Death" tree hasn't had anything new in years, so Authority is the only one I still collect.

Beyond that, it's pretty much whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I prefer some titles to others, but don't follow anything "religiously" even with characters or teams I enjoy like Spider-Man or JSA.

Counting the (legally purchased) CD's of Amazing Spider-Man 1-500 that I have, added to the Spidey titles I've collected personally, my comic library contains more Spider-Man than any other character or team. It's probably around 600-650 Spider-Man comics total.

willRules
Originally posted by Digi
There's a few that I collect rigidly. I have every appearance of the Authority (or any Authority characters individually) ever, as well as every appearance for all incarnations of Death's Head (I, II, Death Metal, Death Wreck, etc.). That won't change, though the "Death" tree hasn't had anything new in years, so Authority is the only one I still collect.

Beyond that, it's pretty much whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I prefer some titles to others, but don't follow anything "religiously" even with characters or teams I enjoy like Spider-Man or JSA.

Counting the (legally purchased) CD's of Amazing Spider-Man 1-500 that I have, added to the Spidey titles I've collected personally, my comic library contains more Spider-Man than any other character or team. It's probably around 600-650 Spider-Man comics total.

Agreed. There are some that I will follow simply because I like the characters, regardless of the writers or artists, I just hope that the character/s are fortunate enough to have a good creative team. There are roughly 4 or 5 I will pretty much stick to come thick or thin, after that, I'm like Digi and will just pick up whatever I like or whatever these guys recommend......

http://www.youtube.com/user/comicbookclub?blend=1&ob=4

I tend not to follow a particular creative team, but I have noticed a common trend in some of the story lines I have preferred, which is usually not a specific character but a specific writer. Although I don't follow any writer, I tend to like most things Mark Millar writes. I also like lots of things by Morrison (although he's a bit more hit or miss) or stuff by Bendis.

Oh and Digi I have roughly the same number of Spider-man issues as you. They aren't on cds but it's not a continuous run of a specific title, it's mostly Amazing Spidey with lots of others in there (lots of Spectacular and Peter Parker: Spider-man)

Digi
Originally posted by willRules
Oh and Digi I have roughly the same number of Spider-man issues as you. They aren't on cds but it's not a continuous run of a specific title, it's mostly Amazing Spidey with lots of others in there (lots of Spectacular and Peter Parker: Spider-man)

Cool. Mine are almost exclusively ASM. I have all but the most recent 20-25, since I stopped collecting them shortly after OMD. But there's so much Spidey stuff out there, that collecting it all would be insane.

I'm also building a Doctor Who collection currently. His comics appeared in various forms over about a 40 year span, so it's not easy. But he's a great character, so I don't mind the challenge. I don't want to collect everything (only with Authority do I do that) but I'd like to have a fair amount of his comic stuff.

I also have most but not all of Stormwatch's stuff. They haven't been around much longer than the Authority, so it's not hard to gather everything up.

theICONiac
I used to be the guy who 'tried to get every book in the series'.

Comics are just too expensive now. I remember in the early 90's I was buying just about everything Marvel was putting out every month. But despite my net income being 30 times what it was when I was 17 there are other commitments now...house, car, kids, wife who thinks money grows on trees etc. And $4-5 dollar comics are some serious groceries, or booze, cigs, crack laughing

An example of my collecting habits is with Superman and the New Krypton storyline (when they were on earth). I liked the story, and collected every issue until the 'new' Krypton planet was made. I haven't bought a Superman comic since.

Kazenji
I usually do the complete run unless of course the comic goes downhill (Bad Writer, Artist or i get bored of it)

Ryonslaught
Originally posted by Mindship
Selective, sporadic.

Pretty much the same I have'nt really been "into" a comic.... as in want to get everything since around Grant Morison's new x-men ended, Joss Astonishing was beautiful but everything else i need to screen first .EG. see online so that defeats me being a collector unless the story is and/or creative team is good........although I must say Green Lantern and Batman currently are now on my must have list screw the cost they are that good! cool

Man comics collecting is just too damn costly nowadays.....kids and an adult life really put thing into perspective..... big grin

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by theICONiac
I used to be the guy who 'tried to get every book in the series'.

Comics are just too expensive now. I remember in the early 90's I was buying just about everything Marvel was putting out every month. But despite my net income being 30 times what it was when I was 17 there are other commitments now...house, car, kids, wife who thinks money grows on trees etc. And $4-5 dollar comics are some serious groceries, or booze, cigs, crack laughing

That was me too. I used to spend anywhere between $30 -$60 a week. It got ridiculous. I mostly collect Marvel (X-titles, Avengers, Spidey). From the DC side I mostly read the Green Lantern titles. I gotta admit that these days paper doesnt touch my hands (if u catch my drift).

Ryo 666
I just read whatever comic I like, I don't really know who writes or draws or anything of that nature, unimportant to me.

Warrior18
I always collect and keep up to date with Daredevil,Iron Fist,Captain America, New Avengers, Dark Avengers,Conan, Batman Confidential, anything with Bullseye in it,Wolverine Weapon X, all of Deadpool, Punisher and until recently, Batman and Detective comics.

I regularly but not avidly have been collecting the likes of Mighty Avengers, War of Kings, G of G, Hercules, GI Joe, Elektra and Wolverine Origins,Invincible Iron Man,Spidey titles,Wildcats and the Authority.

Alpha Centauri
I have every appearance of 616 Deadpool, every issue (Bar two or three) of Silver Surfer's ongoing (As well as the first three appearances he made).

The next three collections I aim to complete are Daredevil and Ghost Rider. Ghost Rider being the next one. I'd say Iron Man is one, too.

Hulk would be a comic that I'd like to complete, but I think the ability to attain complete runs depends on the funds you have;

It's night impossible to complete the likes of Spider-Man and Hulk if you do not have mega funds, considering that issue one of Hulk in any decent condition is gonna cost upward of a grand.

The easiest way to do this is to subscribe via Marvel or someone else, to the series' of a character, like I do with Deadpool. That way, you just have to worry about appearances in other comics, or not at all if it's only the solo ongoing that you're after.

I would DEFINITELY be into way more characters if it wasn't so troublesome to get to the comic store regularly...

*Looks at camera*

For more on my thoughts on that, why not check out my Marvel Events thread? Right here, on KMC.

-AC

Tha C-Master
I keep what I enjoy but I read lots of things, I really don't have the space for every thing.

-V-
The type that steals them using the interwebs.

Kris Blaze
I'm the everybody.

I buy online, download, buy in stores and make comics out of ice.

Darth Vicious
Here we go again with the gimmicky covers!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/070909-UltimateFoil.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.