IMAX is ripping us off!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
When you think of IMAX, what is the first thing that comes to mind? The huge screen, right? Well, the folks at IMAX are pimping their new digital experience AND STILL CHARGING THE EXTRA FIVE DOLLARS to see it. The screen is a little bit bigger than your typical movie screen, but not even half the size as the traditional huge IMAX screen that uses 70mm projectors. So if you've been to an IMAX movie lately and noticed it's not as impressive as you've seen somewhere else, it's because it's arguably not the real thing. Is it LieMax?? What do you think? If digital projecting is cost affective for the theatres and filmmakers, then shouldn't the savings be passed on to the consumer???

Here is a link with a google map as to where real and fake IMAX theatres are: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=36.210347,-86.68539&spn=0.043144,0.077248&t=h&z=14&msid=113621990356540393221.000469b6c5915161c3667&iwloc=000469b6d72410c230bbd

Here's an artical by Roger Ebert about this topic: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/05/thats_not_the_imax_i_grew_up_w.html

This is the guy's blog that opened the can of worms on this matter, he's in that show, "Parks and Rec.": http://azizisbored.tumblr.com/post/106587114/reblog-the-****-out-of-this-warning-amc-theaters-are

Symmetric Chaos
So stop going to IMAX.

Wild Shadow
i already have, thank you bill gates and various nerds for the internet!

BruceSkywalker
I saw and loved TDK on IMAX and will be seeing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen also on IMAX

jinXed by JaNx
The only imax films worth going to are ones that are actually filmed on the imax film. Ever since i went to see Episode 2 in imax, i realized that they simply blow the film up to fit imax. This is especially shitty when a movie is digitally recorded. That Star Wars movie was the worst movie going experience i ever had. Sure, everyone looked big but anytime there was an action event, the only thing i could see was a big blur of crap.

My local megaplexes actually have the genuine imax screens that the science centers house. So, i don't mind paying the extra money to go see the short docs that are shot on the 70mm film but it seems that every blockbuster movie is featured in the imax. So, not only are you getting poor quality for your money but by supporting these movies on imax which arent meant to be seen in imax you are taking away from the actual imax movies. It isn't easy for an independent Director or company to film those imax movies, it takes a lot of time and money. Stop giving the movie theaters extra money for a blown up piece of shit. It's not like movie theaters give back to us in any way. The more money we give them, the more advertisements they make us watch.

I will admit though, the Dark Knight was gorgeous in imax, but thats only beecause it was shot in the imax format. Nolan and company had the imax in mind.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So stop going to IMAX.

No. Why would I? I enjoy the IMAX at the Palms in Las Vegas. They project 70mm film onto a 62 foot tall screen. The point of this thread is to make people aware that there is a dumbed down version of IMAX that charges the same extra cost as the traditional huge IMAX. So....don't go to the new digital IMAXs if you want the gigantic screen. So shut up.

coolmovies
Bigger the better i say

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
No. Why would I? I enjoy the IMAX at the Palms in Las Vegas. They project 70mm film onto a 62 foot tall screen. The point of this thread is to make people aware that there is a dumbed down version of IMAX that charges the same extra cost as the traditional huge IMAX. So....don't go to the new digital IMAXs if you want the gigantic screen. So shut up.

More specifically stop going to the ones that are ripping you off. I didn't think I really needed to add that.

chomperx9
i saw spiderman 3 at Imax and i must admit i was dissapointed. waste of extra 10 bucks just to see it bigger. still loked like crap as well the resolution.

Mairuzu
I only go to IMAX if its a movie with pretty colors and effects

like transformers

if its a liemax then... whatever... 5 bucks isnt shit

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
More specifically stop going to the ones that are ripping you off. I didn't think I really needed to add that.
Well now you know. Thank you.
Originally posted by chomperx9
i saw spiderman 3 at Imax and i must admit i was dissapointed. waste of extra 10 bucks just to see it bigger. still loked like crap as well the resolution. That movie is crap no matter how you watch it.Originally posted by Mairuzu

if its a liemax then... whatever... 5 bucks isnt shit Must be nice. Rich boy.

jaden101
Originally posted by coolmovies
Bigger the better i say

Yeah...I've come across your type.

If anyone got the sex joke before scrolling down this far then you're ace.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by jaden101
Yeah...I've come across your type.

If anyone got the sex joke before scrolling down this far then you're ace. laughing out loud

FeelGood
I don't really notice a difference so its all the same to me.

The Nuul
First time going to IMAX on Monday and I would only go maybe once a year if that again. So the 5 bucks extra that they want to rip off of me ain't going to break me. I waste 5 bucks on junk food a lot more just to shit it all out.

So meh...but I do agree that it is wrong what they are doing.

The Nuul
Check here for screen sizes.

The ones with D: IMAX digital are the fake ones.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaintl.htm

Mairuzu
bootlegs

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Mairuzu
bootlegs

Dude. erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.