How big is your comic collection???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theICONiac
Inspired by the thread started by Deathlok about what type of collector you are...

Anybody care to share how big their collections are? When you started/how many years you have been collecting? How/where you store your massive collection? Best 'score' you ever had on a bunch/collection of comics?

My current collection is approx. 3500 individual comics. Impressive by some standards, but I am sure very modest by others.

All are stored in my walk-in closet (which pisses my wife off to no end baha) in long-boxes.

To hazard a guess, if I never sold/lost any comic (lost quite a few boxes in a move once) I was ever given/bought my collection today would be double what it is now.

My best 'score'? For years I have been searching dollar/discount stores for comic packs of cheap comics. But in '06 I stumbled upon a retro-toy store that was going out of business. The owner used to own a comic shop before, and as part of his liquidation he was selling all his old comics from the shop for .25/each. I picked up a couple hundred and was in heaven. Then right before he closed he offered me the rest of his stock for .10/each. I walked out with 2000 comics for $200.

And the best part? I had bathroom reading material FOR YEARS for every bowel movement I had. eek!

Marvelknight
Originally posted by theICONiac
Inspired by the thread started by Deathlok about what type of collector you are...

Anybody care to share how big their collections are? When you started/how many years you have been collecting? How/where you store your massive collection? Best 'score' you ever had on a bunch/collection of comics?

My current collection is approx. 3500 individual comics. Impressive by some standards, but I am sure very modest by others.

All are stored in my walk-in closet (which pisses my wife off to no end baha) in long-boxes.

To hazard a guess, if I never sold/lost any comic (lost quite a few boxes in a move once) I was ever given/bought my collection today would be double what it is now.

My best 'score'? For years I have been searching dollar/discount stores for comic packs of cheap comics. But in '06 I stumbled upon a retro-toy store that was going out of business. The owner used to own a comic shop before, and as part of his liquidation he was selling all his old comics from the shop for .25/each. I picked up a couple hundred and was in heaven. Then right before he closed he offered me the rest of his stock for .10/each. I walked out with 2000 comics for $200.

And the best part? I had bathroom reading material FOR YEARS for every bowel movement I had. eek!

Nice deal. I have about 600 or more. The best part about my collection is the certain issues I have in it. I have a near mint Wolverine vol. 1 #1, and his first on going issue. That's also in near mint condition. And that's just to name a few. But most of my comics are JLA, Wonder Woman, Super Girl, Batman/Nightwing, Superman, Wolverine/Uncanny X-Men, and other big DC event issues like Infinite Crisis, Hush, and Final Crisis.

chomperx9
i have around 900 comics

guy222
over 7,000 bagged and stored

The Scribe
I have never counted my collection. They are every where in totes, boxes, and a couple long boxes. I'd say in the thousands.

HA! That's hilarious. Tell her I said hi. wink

Nice find and comics are not bathroom reading. disgust

Kazenji
I've got quite a few i don't exactly know the number.

Digi
I have no idea. 1000+ for sure, but anything more specific would be a total guess. I have large piles of comics....guessing their number would be like those "guess the number of jelly beans in the jar" games from when I was a kid. Some kids would Rain Man that sh*t and get within 1-2 beans. Others would guess 45 or 2000 when there were 567.

As a guess, though, I'd say 1500.

BruceSkywalker
I have over 5000+ comic books..

very very extensive

Rage.Of.Olympus
Huh. My entire comic book collection?

It's over 9000!

Kazenji
WHAT.......9000 !!

BlackZero30x
I have somewhere around 900....a lil over 300 spider-man's,100 Green Lantern, about 50 JSA, around 100 JLA's, The Gambit series(im not sure how many are in that series), 100 Aquaman's, the whole original Batman Beyond series...when i count them i will get back to you on the number lol, and about 50 different odd and end comics like The Demon,Superboy and the Amalgam's and elseworlds and the new avengers hardback graphic novels

DeathKap

U sir r a genius...

I started collecting an had around... I really can't recall... but not alot an my dad sold em while i was visiting my momahah

I had alot of Ultimate stuff. Not alot of old ones.

Deathlok
Roughly, around 7500.

willRules
Somewhere between 1,300-1,600 but I haven't counted exactly. Mostly Spider-man and X-men titles amongst loads of other Marvel and DC titles with a few indie titles. yes

Deathlok
I use 1 of my spare bedrooms as a dedicated comic book library. Wall to wall shelfs, 7 foot high, filled in alpha order, by company, with my collection. Atop the shelfs sits my statues, DC 13" figures & other collectibles.

theICONiac
Originally posted by The Scribe
I have never counted my collection. They are every where in totes, boxes, and a couple long boxes. I'd say in the thousands.

HA! That's hilarious. Tell her I said hi. wink

Nice find and comics are not bathroom reading. disgust

Heh...she says to say hi to your boyfriend stick out tongue

What do you mean not 'bathroom' reading material??? I've never lived alone, so the bathroom is my sanctuary where no one can bother you and you can read your comics in peace. Its my place of Zen...my Fortress of Solitude.

Wanna buy some comics from me? laughing out loud

The Scribe
Heh...she says to say hi to your boyfriend stick out tongue

UM, no. disgust

Find a room and lock the door. wink

Why are you selling your comics?

theICONiac
Naw. I was just ribbing ya.

I'm not selling my comics...just checking to see how skeevy you would think it was to buy comics that had been close to my exposed nether-regions.

The Scribe
Naw. I was just ribbing ya.

I'm not selling my comics...just checking to see how skeevy you would think it was to buy comics that had been close to my exposed nether-regions.

Okay, then. wink stick out tongue

I don't like the idea.

Comics don't belong in the bathroom. disgust

I wash my hands before I touch my comics, magazines, books.....

theICONiac
Okay, then. wink stick out tongue

I don't like the idea.

Comics don't belong in the bathroom. disgust

I wash my hands before I touch my comics, magazines, books.....

Hey, its not like I have a magazine rack with reading copies of Action Comics # 1 for when I have to pinch a loaf. Only the 'crap' (ha!) goes in there...

theICONiac
Originally posted by Deathlok
I use 1 of my spare bedrooms as a dedicated comic book library. Wall to wall shelfs, 7 foot high, filled in alpha order, by company, with my collection. Atop the shelfs sits my statues, DC 13" figures & other collectibles.

Pics?

The Scribe

I agree pictures are in order. Make a separate photobucket account and post a link. big grin

Hey, its not like I have a magazine rack with reading copies of Action Comics # 1 for when I have to pinch a loaf. Only the 'crap' (ha!) goes in there...

disgust

reading

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Kazenji
WHAT.......9000 !!

yes

The Scribe
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/116/38210k3clh4chsrl.th.jpg

borg

Ryonslaught
Nice thread.....Deathlok and theICONiac man we simply must see those collections! eek!

As for my own havent done any conting since around Grant Morrison's early new x-men run and at that tiem it was around 700+ so now its probably just a little over 900... It includes some rare finds too, like avengers, spiderman and Hulk #1's a slew of x-men comics (onslaught and zero tolerance, the 12, revolution, gen-x, x-force, excalibus, unlimited x-men, wolverine etc), perpered with JLA (during Morisons run), Avengers, superman (during his electric phase) stick out tongue Batman before and during no man's land, Batgirl (cassandra cain), Robin, Capt America (Steve), Iron man, What If, Fantastic four during claremonts run, Magnus robot fighter, Hard corp, sonic and knuckles and my most treasured Kyle Rayner's stint as Green Lantern and Ion......I could go on and on but its full of variety with x-men being the mainstay of my collection...... cool

Deathlok
http://img5.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1529q.jpg

theICONiac
http://img5.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1529q.jpg

Nice. I consider myself duly impressed smile

Plunk a toilet in the middle of that room and I would never leave your house.

Ryonslaught
Ok Deathlok that is frickin sweet! Happy Dance

Shadow_King
Well from my estimate about 150, no where near to any of you people, most of them are x-men.

Alpha Centauri
I've pretty much got all of Surfer's comics, and a majority of his appearances in other comics (Major ones).

I've got every single appearance of 616 Deadpool (Will take pics soon), except the more recent issues of Cable and Ms. Marvel, which I'll get soon.

Besides that, a crapload of Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men.

Surfer, Hulk and Deadpool were the only ones I followed with regularity. Hulk mostly, considering Deadpool only got his new series last year, and Surfer doesn't have one anymore. Deadpool would be my fav series' though.

-AC

Deathlok
more pics of my comic library & statues/figures/busts throughout my house.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8291/img1550c.jpg

Nihilist
more pics

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8291/img1550c.jpg I hate you.

willRules

You put mine to shame embarrasment I've got my collection position just like yours and have very similar shelving and everything........but mines a much more modest collection of about 1,300-1,600 comics (including trades)

Yours is what mine dreams of being. Bigger big grin

willRules
Originally posted by willRules
Yours is what mine dreams of being. Bigger big grin

There's a penis joke in there somewhere......

Deathlok
http://img188.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1550c.jpg

Nihilist
http://img188.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img1550c.jpg I hate you even more now.

How long you benn collecting ?

I have around 1000 actual comics.

And the full runs of Dr Strange,FF,X-men,Hulk,Silver Surfer,Thor and Superman and Grenn Lanterns on Disc.

Kazenji
With my collection it has the odd couple of issues of Batman, Superman few other DC titles

for Marvel Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-men, Hulk, Iron Man i think thats it for the odd couple of issues but my collection for Marvel mainly has Punisher, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, X-Force (new series)

As for the other companies Bit of Star Wars, Army Of Darkness and also got few Trades now.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nihilist
I hate you even more now.

How long you benn collecting ?

I have around 1000 actual comics.

And the full runs of Dr Strange,FF,X-men,Hulk,Silver Surfer,Thor and Superman and Grenn Lanterns on Disc.

A thousand comics is quite a decent number for a comics fan.

Disc doesn't count. I think it's criminal to call yourself a collector if it's on disc. Not saying you are.

-AC

theICONiac
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
A thousand comics is quite a decent number for a comics fan.

Disc doesn't count. I think it's criminal to call yourself a collector if it's on disc. Not saying you are.

-AC

And to add...

It is very unwieldy to take your laptop into the can...if you are straining too hard you are liable to knock it off you lap...

Real comics are better cool

The Scribe
Large collection

big grin

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5535/comicscubes.th.jpg http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9297/130115760htvlyjph.th.jpg

Geppi's Entertainment Museum

Deathlok
Jesus Christ! Now thats a collection!

theICONiac
I just wet my panties...

jawdrop

willRules
I just wet my panties...

jawdrop

Me too.........

..........on an unrelated note, look at the size of that collection!

Ryo 666
I don't have that many, a few boxes. But allot of my comics are wrecked unfortently.

Ryo 666
Large collection

big grin

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5535/comicscubes.th.jpg http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9297/130115760htvlyjph.th.jpg

Impressive, thats almost as big as my uncles.

Raoul
Large collection

big grin

good f*ck.

also, my collection is rather small, because i've rarely been in a position where i've had a lot of money to spend on comics.

when i did have, i bought about 100 in the space of 6 months.

iits mostly x-men, superman and GL stuff. i tend to buy sentimental issues rather than just picking up every back issue i can find, hence owning the only ian churchill drawn x-men issue, the scott jean wedding issue, a jim lee signed superman 204, and a few more bits and pieces...

guy222
Just bought a collection today

snoopdogg
I have 14 long boxes full and a couple short boxes. Guessing over 5000.

leonidas
somewhere around 6-7000. and . . . did AC post TWICE in this thread?? blink

Enyalus
Originally posted by Raoul
good f*ck.

You're reaction to that made me laugh. big grin

Naija boy
At my peak it was around 9000-10000 though im not sure of the exact number. Though ive since converted most to disc and sold most of the actual comics. (for exorbitant prices of course). There r few comicshops around here so i was able to put huge prices on em.

snoopdogg
What's everbodies most valuable comic?

Mine are:

Incredible Hulk #181(CGC 9.0)
Fantastic Four #48(CGC 9.0)
Giant Size X-Men #1(CGC 6.5)
X-Men #5
X-Men #6
X-Men #12
Tomb of Dracula #10(3 copies, CGC 7.5, 8.5 and one pretty rough)
Iron Fist #14

I have more but off the top of my head those are mine.

Digi
Those pics earlier, the 2nd one looks kinda like a comic store (with couches?), and the carpets are different colors. I'm not saying that isn't the dude's collection, just that it seemed a bit unrealistic.

snoopdogg
That dude has a G1 Devastator on the top shelf. I have a nice one myself complete with all the accessories.

Darth Vicious

eek! Damn dude, thats sweet! U mustve spent a fortune on all that (shelves included).

batdude123
I have 45 million comics.

Seriously...

Charmander
Originally posted by Digi
Those pics earlier, the 2nd one looks kinda like a comic store (with couches?), and the carpets are different colors. I'm not saying that isn't the dude's collection, just that it seemed a bit unrealistic. Two different rooms. One is his lone time room, and the one with couches is there so he has a place to bring the ladies.

Original Smurph
Originally posted by Charmander
Two different rooms. One is his lone time room, and the one with couches is there so he has a place to bring the ladies. Judging by the pics, the lone time room is used often.

Scythe
Around 200, maybe less.

theICONiac
Originally posted by snoopdogg
What's everbodies most valuable comic?

Mine are:

Incredible Hulk #181(CGC 9.0)
Fantastic Four #48(CGC 9.0)
Giant Size X-Men #1(CGC 6.5)
X-Men #5
X-Men #6
X-Men #12
Tomb of Dracula #10(3 copies, CGC 7.5, 8.5 and one pretty rough)
Iron Fist #14

I have more but off the top of my head those are mine.

This is a nice tangent to this thread.

For me, most of my stuff is crap (after all I got 2000 comics for $200, so nothing that could possibly put my kids through college...the owner wasn't an idiot smile )

My best would be a NM copy of 'Kamandi' # 1. After that would be a Fine copy of FF # 85.

Beyond that, I've got a bunch of comics in the $20-30/range (Hulk # 340, Wolverine # 1 etc)

Kazenji
With that CGC thing can you only get that done in America ?........because i've never seen it in Australia.

theICONiac
Originally posted by Kazenji
With that CGC thing can you only get that done in America ?........because i've never seen it in Australia.

Even if his comics weren't CGC-rated, they'd still be worth more than mine.

But yeah, I never bought into the CGC thing. I want to be able to pull out that comic and retire to the bathroom big grin

Encasing them forever seems...dull.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.