How big are tv's gonna be in the future?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
The biggest i seen is 60'' are they gonna get bigger ?? They are also getting cheaper by the day.

dadudemon
They have jumbotrons, which is an untransformed transformer.

Yes. Screens will be bigger for the consumer, in the future.

I plan to buy a 1080p projector that projects a 110" screen. no expression

My home theater setup is almost complete. I need about $7500 more dollars and it is full of epic win.

jaden101
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2005/10/102%20inch.jpg

coolmovies
wow thats big but i hope projector's dont take over tvs .

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2005/10/102%20inch.jpg

Does it come with the cat-arse faced Asian too, or do you have to pay extra for that feature?

Bat Dude
Well, perhaps they'll get big enough to take up an entire wall, like in Fahrenheit 451...

coolmovies
Thats what i was thinking but it will be expensive

Symmetric Chaos
They'll keep getting bigger up to a point then technology will allow for retinal painting and manipulation of parallax cues resulting in TV's of arbitrary apparent size but just a few feet wide physically.

coolmovies
Panasonic has a 150'' plasma hd tv that could be the biggest ?? for $70,000

dadudemon
Originally posted by coolmovies
Panasonic has a 150'' plasma hd tv that could be the biggest ??

No.

There are much bigger in stadiums.

But if you're talking about ONLY home consumer electroncis, and not some rich guy buying a "commerical" tv that's 3 stories tall, then, yeah, the sizes are about that size.

Projectors are bigger, but we're getting into "rich people" size, then.

The Scribe
100 inch LCD Article

32 megapixel, 8K (7680 x 4320) ultra-high definition projector

Seems every year they go up in size.

So, I'd say they will continue to increase in size.

One day people will have their own personal drive-in, in their backyard.

coolmovies
I am only talking for home not stadiums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsoNQjCF6eA&feature=PlayList&p=77FCF8ABD05EF3CB&index=0&playnext=1

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon

I plan to buy a 1080p projector that projects a 110" screen. no expression

Someone is clearly overcompensating for something.

BackFire
Maybe one day they'll get to be as large as my penis.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Maybe one day they'll get to be as large as my penis.

Long, skinny and covered in shit?

Bardock42
I used to have a projector which was pretty nice, I doubt very much that all TVs will go into such a huge range though, that's just not practical really.

Shakyamunison
I heard that big TVs were bad for the environment. If that is true, maybe they will get smaller in the future instead of bigger.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I heard that big TVs were bad for the environment. If that is true, maybe they will get smaller in the future instead of bigger.

Or...projectors. shifty

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Does it come with the cat-arse faced Asian too, or do you have to pay extra for that feature?

I've always had to pay for Asians but at least they start them young.

The Scribe
Someone is clearly overcompensating for something.

Obviously a small television. wink

What's not? Stop believing hippies.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Scribe
Obviously a small television. wink

Your logic is impeccable. Thanks for saving me from the Internet bullie. sad

Magee
A TV or rather a projector can be as big as you want right now. Mass produced TV's can only be so big since they must be able to get inside a house and also fit in a room so it's unlikely there will ever be a mainstream television bigger than 100 inches. I think the biggest is a 103 inch made by Panasonic but it's just a one off to show they can do it and will probably never make it in to any stores.

Any one who wants a mini cinema in there home will go for a HD projector and it will stay that way until some thing usurps that.

The Scribe
Your logic is impeccable. Thanks for saving me from the Internet bullie. sad

You're welcome.

I don't like bullies or the "compensating" cop-out. disgust

Robtard
Obviously you're compensating too, ha.

dadudemon

ZOMG!

I have no clue who the Scribe is, but there's no way he can't be a sock. He "knows" too much.

And he also spelled it 'You're..." in his post. Not an idiot, either.

The Scribe

disgust

ZOMG!

I have no clue who the Scribe is, but there's no way he can't be a sock. He "knows" too much.
And he also spelled it 'You're..." in his post. Not an idiot, either.

I've been here too long to be a "sock." (2004)
I don't know why anyone would think that. disgust

You're, you are

There, their, they're... I like "they are" better than they're.

eek!

jinXed by JaNx
I have a friend who has one of those 100 inchers. I was playing Ghostbusters and Left 4 dead on that big biitch the other day. 100 inches is to big for me.

I think in the future we will no longer have t.v screens. We will be watching movies through holographic technology. Spielberg and Cameron are working on it, so you know it's going to happen.

Mindship
At some point, it won't be a matter of how big the screen is, but how well the technology "pulls you into" the scene (ie, TV --> VV: Virtual Vision).

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by The Scribe
...What's not? Stop believing hippies.

You are the only hippie I know. stick out tongue

The Scribe
You are the only hippie I know. stick out tongue

I'm not a hippie. disgust

lord xyz
I assume they'll be as big as cinema screens, unless there is/will be some law permitting them to be, and if so, probably big enough to have a foot wide border around the TV, which would be the edge of the wall in your TV room.

FE Expert
Large-screen consumer TVs of the future would probably be delivered in components and assembled at home. Then you could have a TV wall like in Fahrenheit 451.

inimalist
Honestly, I see it going the other way. Super high def handhelds (that are also computers) as opposed to unitary units people sit around and watch.

FE Expert
I never mentioned the handheld units. Perhaps the unitary (if consumer) TVs would be like those I mentioned; handheld, HD units would be used for traveling.

There will still be a sizeable market for unitary units unless we suddenly become nomads all at once.

inimalist
I tend to disagree

I see the whole "getting together in a room and doing something to be social" as evaporating quickly. Facebook, forums, stuff like that, is changing what it means to even be social.

I hear where you are coming from, and I guess there will always be big TVs, but 20 years from now, I'd almost bet it is more common to see people together watching individual TVs rather than what we have now. I see gaming also as being a huge driving force for this.

FE Expert
Handheld units and fixed-location TVs would appeal to different market niches, that much is true.

inimalist
well, lets wait 20 years, and if thats true, I'll buy you a beer wink

lord xyz
Originally posted by jaden101
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadgethd.com/media/2005/10/102%20inch.jpg I think the'yre already as tall as black people.

Dreampanther

You seem to be getting closer to the truth - once again, with technology, the rule seems to be the smaller the better...

Contact Lens Display System
Written by Chris Hunter

http://www.bhfo.org/news/press-releases/contact-lens-display-system-2.html

The field of display technology has seen some impressive announcements recently, but this one tops the charts for this crew. The University of Washington has implemented microscopic manufacturing or self-assembly (capillary forces) to make a new kind of hybrid contact. This contact has a microscopic imprinted circuit with light emitting capabilities. This kind of breakthrough opens the door to a host of possible applications, including HUD overlays and immersive displays.

and

Keep an eye on the TV - with the TV in your eye

By Fiona Macrae

It sounds like science fiction - contact lenses that transmit TV shows and tattoos that let us feel the emotions of the actors on screen.

Yet experts believe both could be reality within ten years.

They say the constant miniaturisation of technology will lead to TV sets being shrunk to the size of contact lenses and powered by body heat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1139262/Keep-eye-TV--TV-contact-lens.html#ixzz0MVfABNSF

Symmetric Chaos

The liberal media will never take my steam powered TV from me!

WhoopeeDee
37" to 40" is good enough for me.

occultdestroyer
Current HD Projectors can go up to 100" or more.

Buying a LCD/Plasma TV larger than 60" is impractical really.

And like what inimalist said in this thread, the social climate is rapidly changing.
Get togethers are seldom, people prefer socializing in the Internet through Facebook or forums, etc.

As I foresee it, handheld HDTVs will become more rampant.

Bicnarok
Maybe 3d hologram sort of things will be next.

FE Expert
The TV manufacturing industry will become polarized by then; handheld HD units for the people who are frequently on the move and large-sized HD units (60 inches and up) for a different audience. The sizes in between would probably stagnate and even shrink as a market sector.

Both could coexist in part because they appeal to different kinds of people.

dadudemon
Originally posted by FE Expert
The TV manufacturing industry will become polarized by then; handheld HD units for the people who are frequently on the move and large-sized HD units (60 inches and up) for a different audience. The sizes in between would probably stagnate and even shrink as a market sector.

Both could coexist in part because they appeal to different kinds of people.

You're partially correct on all accounts.

They don't even sell DLP tv's less than 55" at most retailers, these days.

I recently helped my brother puchase a new TV and he was hard pressed to find any DLP TV's that were 50".

It seems that for that particular product, bigger was better by so many that the major manufacturers stopped making things smaller than 60"...

Also, the handheld "HD" market is not mutually exlusive to the big screen HD market. In fact, I would say that they strongly overlap.

And 60"+ TVs are not a specific electronic demographic. Generally, a trend can be seen for larger TVs.

Plasmas used to be a certain size, for the vast majority of consumers. Gradually, size increased as technology and manufacturing processes improved, making the cost feasible at larger sizes.

Same thing happened with DLP TVs.

Same thing happened to LCDs TVs rather recently.

Similar thing is happening in the first 2 years of LED TVs.

And, soon, OLED TVs will experience the same exact shift in size.

With TVs, generally, bigger really is better (According to consumers.)

Would you rather watch the big game on a 42' LCD TV or would your rather watch it on a 60" LED TV at 240hz? (Edit - A smart person might say, "Depends on the room and lighting." An even smarter person would say, "LED would be superior in almost any category, so the question is almost rhetorical."wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.