Five worst tragedies in history?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
What, in your opinion, are the five worst tragedies in history? They can range anywhere from a terrorist attack, to a natural disaster, to someone important dying.

The Grey Fox
1. Humans begin existing

Everything else is meaningless.

Vinny Valentine
1) Ice Cream
2) Bumblebees
3) Jacope-X
4) Herpes
5) Tooth Pain

You may question if three truly is worse than four. Well, I am here to tell you it is.

Barker
Originally posted by The Grey Fox
1. Humans begin existing

Everything else is meaningless.
Explain.

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by Barker
Explain. Seriously? Explain? It's pretty clear. In my opinion, the only real tragedy is humans ever existing. That's... it. And I believe I already stated that above.

Rogue Jedi
1. 9/11 Attacks
2. Wilhelm Gustloff http://www.feldgrau.com/wilhelmgustloff.html
3. The Titanic
4. Mt. St. Helens
5. Pearl Harbor

I am sure I forgot some, feel free to tell me which.

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
1. 9/11 Attacks
5. Pearl Harbor Predictable.

Rogue Jedi
Predictable.

I placed those two there for the sheer atrocity.

Piggle Humsy
Welshy being born. ermmhappy

The Grey Fox
I placed those two there for the sheer atrocity. And, well, because anything that happens to America is obviously a crime against humanity. Because nothing is worse than 3000 Americans dying. Nothing.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not too sure I have a list.

Sept 11th attacks would be around the top, though.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Lets not forget these:

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/pompeii/p/MtVesuvius.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Koresh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

The Grey Fox
Alright, this gets my vote too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholisism

Rogue Jedi
And, well, because anything that happens to America is obviously a crime against humanity. Because nothing is worse than 3000 Americans dying. Nothing. As I said, I didnt name it it for the body count, I named it for it's arocity. The act itself.

The Grey Fox
As I said, I didnt name it it for the body count, I named it for it's arocity. The act itself. What, blowing up Americans? Yeah, any act of terror against America is naturally worse, don't worry, I understand.

The Grey Fox
Can I just put something up there? Just something I think might rank a bit worse than some American citizens and buildings getting blown up by Muslims? The Holocaust.

edit: Should rename this thread "Top 5 Worst American Tragedies", really.

Barker
Seriously? Explain? It's pretty clear. In my opinion, the only real tragedy is humans ever existing. That's... it. And I believe I already stated that above.
haermm

Rogue Jedi
Can I just put something up there? Just something I think might rank a bit worse than some American citizens and buildings getting blown up by Muslims? The Holocaust.

edit: Should rename this thread "Top 5 Worst American Tragedies", really. I didnt forget that one, trust me. The Holocaust took place over years, I am talking about shit that happened like BAM, out of the blue, no warnings.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Barker
Explain.

I think it's cause most of the problems that we get are man made erm

Strangelove
The tsunami of 2006/7 (EDIT: 2004) would probably be on my list. 9/11 was bad and all, but in the grand scheme of things there are things that were far worse.Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I didnt forget that one, trust me. The Holocaust took place over years, I am talking about shit that happened like BAM, out of the blue, no warnings. Well you probably should have clarified that in your original post then.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Strangelove
The tsunami of 2006(7?) would probably be on my list. 9/11 was bad and all, but in the grand scheme of things there are things that were far worse. Well you probably should have clarified that in your original post then. I started to, but I didnt want to limit it to just that.

steverules_2
The tsunami was Decemeber 26th 2004

Rogue Jedi
What year was that huge san francisco quake?

Strangelove
I started to, but I didnt want to limit it to just that. well if you didn't want to, then why did you say that that's what you meant just now, if you decided to take it back?

Rogue Jedi
Does it really matter now?

Strangelove
Not especially, just yanking your chain. haermm

steverules_2
...yes shifty

Rogue Jedi
I forgot to mention Culture Club.

steverules_2
YMCA dude's who dressed up as a policeman, construction site builder, indian...i forget the rest

leonheartmm
patriarchy
child abuse
war/genocide
disease
government
organised relegion
slavery
capitalism

{these are hard to place}
death
carnivorism
despair/self loathing/bitterness

Rogue Jedi
Carrot top.

Alpha Centauri
Hiroshima.

Pretty much unnecessary.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Hiroshima.

Pretty much unnecessary.

-AC Depends on one's POV. What would have happened with WWII if the bomb hadn't been dropped?

Jaeh.is.Awesome
1. Invention of the Snooze button.

I'll come back with more later.

occultdestroyer
The death of Michael Jackson

Strangelove
Depends on one's POV. What would have happened with WWII if the bomb hadn't been dropped? some would argue that the axis was ready to surrender before Truman dropped the bomb

Bardock42
1. 9/11 Attacks
2. Wilhelm Gustloff http://www.feldgrau.com/wilhelmgustloff.html
3. The Titanic
4. Mt. St. Helens
5. Pearl Harbor

I am sure I forgot some, feel free to tell me which. Is that in order?

Hmm, I guess mine would be World War 2 with the Holocaust and Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Other Bombings, World War 1, Communist Genocides (Mao and Stalin...), The Inquisition/Witch Trials/Crusades and other atrocities of Catholicism or Religion in general and finally Michael Jackson's death.

Slay
Originally posted by Bardock42
Is that in order?

Hmm, I guess mine would be World War 2 with the Holocaust and Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Other Bombings, World War 1, Communist Genocides (Mao and Stalin...), The Inquisition/Witch Trials/Crusades and other atrocities of Catholicism or Religion in general and finally Michael Jackson's death.
MJ's life was probably a far greater tragedy than his death. He made great music, but he never really had a life, from being beaten on stage by his father during childhood, because his father wanted his son to succeed wher ehe had failed, to becoming the gossip-press' plaything etc. His life could really be used to show how sick mankind has become, in a way.

Also, I get that you were probably joking about his death being one of the worst tragedies befallen on mankind.

Wei Phoenix
As I said, I didnt name it it for the body count, I named it for it's arocity. The act itself.

9/11 is worse than slavery, religous genocide and Darfur?

Alpha Centauri
Depends on one's POV. What would have happened with WWII if the bomb hadn't been dropped?

They would have surrendered.

Generally, that's considered what would've happened. I believe that the terms and conditions offered up by Japan were that they no longer wanted their country occupied, right?

I could be wrong but I believe that was the only condition, and it was ignored.

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
9/11 is worse than slavery, religous genocide and Darfur?

Read the thread.

He said it's based on single events that happened quickly.

-AC

Ax3l
Apartheid.

Sorry, I'm just trying to be different.

Captain REX
I believe 9/11 shows up more often than it normally would just due to how recent it was compared to say, the Holocaust.

As for sudden events... hmm. Most of the terrible things I can think of were not that sudden.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

Read the thread.

He said it's based on single events that happened quickly.

-AC No, I said the events I listed were like that. The Holocaust, slavery, stuff like that is fine.

Ax3l
The Holocaust, slavery, stuff like that is fine. Yeah, that stuff was swell.

Rogue Jedi
roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by leonheartmm
disease
{these are hard to place}
death
carnivorism
despair/self loathing/bitterness These things are all natural life processes. In whatever you believe, these things were put here for a reason. They're natural and the world could not do without them.

Quincy
Canceling Arrested Development no expression

Rogue Jedi
These things are all natural life processes. In whatever you believe, these things were put here for a reason. They're natural and the world could not do without them. Agreed.

This is a bad one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongah_Mining_disaster

Röland
I didnt forget that one, trust me. The Holocaust took place over years, I am talking about shit that happened like BAM, out of the blue, no warnings.
The Holocaust kind of did happen out of the blue, most of the world just ignored it for a while though.

Rogue Jedi
some would argue that the axis was ready to surrender before Truman dropped the bomb The Japanese drew first blood with an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. They ****ed with the bull and got the horns.

But then one might argue that Japan was attempting to cripple the U.S. fleet as the Japanese conquered Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands.

Strangelove
The Japanese drew first blood with an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. They ****ed with the bull and got the horns.

But then one might argue that Japan was attempting to cripple the U.S. fleet as the Japanese conquered Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands. Pearl Harbor: 2,402 dead (57 civilians)

Hiroshima/Nagasaki: 220,000 dead (estimated, overwhelming majority civilian), + countless live affected by the radiation.

You tell me how that's justified. That's worse than what Al Qaeda did to us on 9/11

omgchos
Pearl Harbor: 2,402 dead (57 civilians)

Hiroshima/Nagasaki: 220,000 dead (estimated, overwhelming majority civilian), + countless live affected by the radiation.

You tell me how that's justified. That's worse than what Al Qaeda did to us on 9/11
Well i ask you this.... What would you have done to make the japanese surrender.

Degreeforfish
aids/your mom jokes/cosmetic surgery/white people/black people from "the hood"

Strangelove
Originally posted by omgchos
Well i ask you this.... What would you have done to make the japanese surrender. Um, continue to use our superior military to force them to surrender, like we were already doing.

I'm just saying that Pearl Harbor is a shitty excuse for what we did.

The Grey Fox
Pearl Harbor: 2,402 dead (57 civilians)

You tell me how that's justified. That's worse than what Al Qaeda did to us on 9/11 I don't think G.I. Joe here really cares how many 'damn wops' died, they ****ed with America, and he'll be darn-diddly-damned if anyone who ****s with his freedom doesn't die a painful, irradiated death.

Rogue Jedi
Um, continue to use our superior military to force them to surrender, like we were already doing.

I'm just saying that Pearl Harbor is a shitty excuse for what we did. And lose thousands more GI's along the way?

Ax3l
Yeah, mass genocide of civilians is much better

omgchos
Um, continue to use our superior military to force them to surrender, like we were already doing.

I'm just saying that Pearl Harbor is a shitty excuse for what we did.
While pearl harbor itself being used as an excuse is, yes shitty. I still think that actually attempting to invade the mainland of japan, would have resulted in far to many casualties on both sides. Most likely more than those lost in the bombings themselves. Not to mention the fact that those "civilians" in japan would have defended their own land to the death. Taking as many allied soldiers with them as they could. It may not have been the perfect solution, but at the time, it was the best way to avoid more of the heavy losses america was taking. They did ask for it, attacking us, but the atom bombs weren't revenge for pearl harbor. The subsequent bombing, featured in the movie of the same name was.

grimify
the black death
Spanish flu + WW1, although separate events one enabled the other.
WW2
Hitler and the holocaust
Russia under Stalin
transatlantic slave trade
colonization of the Americas effect on Native Americans
rise of the Qing Dynasty

There's plenty more that are far more tragic than any terrorist attack.

omgchos
edit.

Ax3l
When they bombed the parking lot of the World Trade Center.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Ax3l
Yeah, mass genocide of civilians is much better You think the USA targeted the Japanese just because they were Japanese? They would have done the same regardless of color, race or creed. The Japanese just happened to be our enemy at the time.

Strangelove
You think the USA targeted the Japanese just because they were Japanese? They would have done the same regardless of color, race or creed. The Japanese just happened to be our enemy at the time. Axel didn't say that it was racially motivated, and to bring that up is to set up a strawman.

The fact that they were an enemy doesn't excuse what we did.

Rogue Jedi
Axel didn't say that it was racially motivated, and to bring that up is to set up a strawman.

The fact that they were an enemy doesn't excuse what we did. It really depends how one defines Genocide. I see Genocide as one group targeting another specifically for race/religious reasons and eliminating them.

The Grey Fox
It doesn't matter what you think it means, it has a definition, you can't just change what it actually means for you own purposes. It means, "The systematic killing of substantial numbers of people on the basis of ethnicity, religion, political opinion, social status, or other particularity.", not what you want it to mean.

omgchos
so everyone involved in WWII helped commit genocide?

omgchos
Hell any war throughout history

The Grey Fox
Not touching that one with a 20 foot pole.

Rogue Jedi
Well here's the wiki definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

The Grey Fox
Well here's the wiki definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide Already read that; I got mine from Wiktionary, as it was more condensed.

Rogue Jedi
It doesn't matter what you think it means, it has a definition, you can't just change what it actually means for you own purposes. It means, "The systematic killing of substantial numbers of people on the basis of ethnicity, religion, political opinion, social status, or other particularity.", not what you want it to mean. So I guess the Japanese just happening to be our enemy at the time would fall under "other partciularity?"

The Grey Fox
So I guess the Japanese just happening to be our enemy at the time would fall under "other partciularity?" I can't really say, I'm not getting into the whole "was Hiroshima and Nagasaki genocide?" debate, since it's not really that relevent. It was as you put defined in the original post a tragedy, a massive loss of innocent life at one time, that's all I'm saying. Was it right or wrong? That's a different story. But it was still a tragedy.

Even though the actual definition of a tragedy is pretty much just 'a piece of literature which has a sad ending'.

Rogue Jedi
I can't really say, I'm not getting into the whole "was Hiroshima and Nagasaki genocide?" debate, since it's not really that relevent. It was as you put defined in the original post a tragedy, a massive loss of innocent life at one time, that's all I'm saying. Was it right or wrong? That's a different story. But it was still a tragedy.

Even though the actual definition of a tragedy is pretty much just 'a piece of literature which has a sad ending'. Good point, agreed.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quincy
Canceling Arrested Development no expression Preach it, brother.

=Tired Hiker=
Preach it, brother.

Wait, what??? They are still making the movie, right?

Mairuzu
Mcdonalds

Digi
- Caulking Bathrooms
- Joshua Clottey losing by decision to Miguel Cotto
- Pooty Tang the Movie
- When they took 'ED' off TV
- Your mom

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Mcdonalds

McNuggets ftw

Bardock42
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Wait, what??? They are still making the movie, right? Yes, but that doesn't make the cancelation any less an atrocity.

Mairuzu
high school musical and hannah montana as well

=Tired Hiker=
Yes, but that doesn't make the cancelation any less an atrocity. Of course not.

Rogue Jedi
9th grade.

Digi
Originally posted by Mairuzu
high school musical and hannah montana as well

no no. that's win.

Mairuzu
21st century breakdown

Rogue Jedi
Global Warming?

YodaIam
Replacing the original yellow Wiggle. Now that's ****ed up.

Retire the yellow jumper, don't give it to someone else!!

JacopeX
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
3) Jacope-X Yeah!

I'm a tragedy! evil face

Impediment
1. Organized religion.

The rest doesn't matter. Religion has, for the most part, brought more suffering to the human race than any other thing in history.

As for the rest of the list? Hmmm........

Bill Hicks' death, Gore losing to Bush, The Sopranos going off of the air, and Michael Bay being allowed to make movies.

Rogue Jedi
Hayden Christensen as Anakin.

YodaIam
Heath Ledger as Joker.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.