Kyle Katarn vs. Yoda

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Advent
Combatants: Kyle Katarn at his prime (trick statement, Kyle Katarn is always in his prime) vs. RotS Yoda.

Setting: The great halls of the Jedi Temple, Coruscant.

Rules: If it isn't against the rules (and there are none), I'll allow it!

This fight may have been done before, but I can't be bothered to look for it (I might have even made it). These are two of the most powerful Jedi in the entire mythology, and each one brings with them different strengths over the other. Yoda and Katarn are both master swordsman who have shown to be very powerful and proficient with the Force. Who wins and for Buddha's sake, tell us why.

FIGHT!

SIDIOUS 66
Tell me something about Kyle. Nothing in wookieepedia suggests that he is in Yoda's league.

Darth Truculent
Most of what I've seen is in the games (PC and PS2) and it isn't that impressive. From what I've read though, if Katarn was easily beaten by Caedus than how could he possibly beat Yoda?

Advent

Darth Truculent
My apologies - been awhile since I played the games and read the books. I'm a bit rusty on Kyle's history.

ares834
Yoda wins. Kyle Katarn is powerful but Yoda is arguably the 2nd most powerful jedi of all time.

Gideon
Probably not. But neither, I suspect, did you. Or if you did, your interpretation of the passage differs wildly from mine.

I have a copy of Fury saved to my computer and, after skimming through the passage, I recall only one such instance: Caedus hurls a Jedi at Katarn who is forced to catch her with his bare hands.

Ironically, the passage also demonstrates that one Jedi, Kolir, disrupted a retaliatory blow on Caedus's part, the narration stating point-blank that her actions "spared Katarn an amputation."

So unless there's something else I'm missing, we can throw this particular point out the window, because Katarn's squad saved his ass as much as he saved theirs.

This is an interesting perspective to take, since Katarn attacked with three other Jedi. I'd say a four-on-one fights qualifies as "cheating" or "outside interference" as much as, if not more, than environmental manipulation.

No more or less legitimate than Sidious and Yoda fighting by proxy (Senate pods).

My copy of the book doesn't say that.

Eh? It was a fight to the death in which both opponents were prepared. Katarn had assistance; Caedus merely manipulated the environment, which countless Jedi and Sith have done throughout the saga.

And he was defeated.

How? Where is that shown?

Hewhoknowsall
If Katarn were more powerful than Yoda, then he could easily beat Caedus by himself, so if the reason why he lost was because his inexperienced teammates were a reliability then why doesn't he just go by himself and defeat Caedus?

Lightsnake
Also going to have to call Advent out on this subject, because I distinctly recall saying that Caedus couldn't defeat Kyle by himself without 'cheating' is a distortion. In fact, from pretty early on in the fight?
Fury, page 88
Caedus rolled out of Katarn's kick to his head, catching a scrape along his cheek, and swung at the Master's leg, but Kolir's blade intercepted his before it bit into flesh. His strength batted her weapon away, but she had deflected his blow and spared Katarn an amputation.

Without Kolir, Kyle would've been missing a leg from early on. He isn't what we might term a great match for Jacen.

RaidenDeadpool
Caedus vs Katarn???

I must have read the title wrong.. stick out tongue

Hewhoknowsall
So wait:

If Caedus could beat Katarn by "cheating", ie using the environment (which isn't really cheating), then couldn't Yoda do the same to win (since you specified that they aren't any rules in the OP)?

Advent, and you serious or is this a joke thread?

ares834
How does Kyle have three votes?

Liqhtsnake
Psychological polling. People are going to feel more emotionally inclined to vote for Kyle when the poll reads "Kyle Katarn, he's absolutely stunning!" due to the fact that most people would agree that he is absolutely stunning. It's why I personally voted for him multiple times.

Liqhtsnake
You play a clever game Advent... and I really need to start posting in the right account. Sorry Lightsnake...

Advent
It's been almost a year plus since I've read Fury, seems I was rather inaccurate in what I said. I just checked, and almost nothing is there. Strange, since I could swear those things to have actually been stated. confused

ares834
Originally posted by Liqhtsnake
Psychological polling. People are going to feel more emotionally inclined to vote for Kyle when the poll reads "Kyle Katarn, he's absolutely stunning!" due to the fact that most people would agree that he is absolutely stunning. It's why I personally voted for him multiple times.
All right Liqhtsnake. I trust you...

Dr McBeefington
Eh? It was a fight to the death in which both opponents were prepared. Katarn had assistance; Caedus merely manipulated the environment, which countless Jedi and Sith have done throughout the saga.

Eh fight to the death? As I recall, they weren't attempting to kill Caedus, but plant a tracker on him.

ares834
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Eh fight to the death? As I recall, they weren't attempting to kill Caedus, but plant a tracker on him.
You are correct. And ultimately they managed to do so.

Lightsnake
You know, it's really the height of foolishness to NOT kill the Sith Lord if it's within your power at all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.