Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Trailer-

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/532

Looks good alot better then the last Chronicles games.

Impediment
I enjoyed RE: UC for Wii, so I will, most likely, pick this up, too.

Kero_Co
A few of the E3 previews I read weren't pleasing, but I'm certainly keeping an eye on it.

Neo Darkhalen
I look forward to the extra Leon chapter to the game, it will be a unique adventure apparently set before RES4, I'm also looking forward to the RES2 and CV scenario's

WO Polaski
game looks beautiful for a Wii-title. the first one was fun one of three games i ever liked on the wii so ill keep on this one.

Kazenji
The Darkside Chronicles Resident Evil 2 Gameplay

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/553

Nemesis X
Another good RE game and it's a Wii exclusive sad

Kazenji
Yeah seems like they can make good wii games all depends on the developer if they want to put as much effort into it.

Nemesis X
I think that Capcom should start remaking Resident Evil 2 for PS3. They can put it on the Wii but please let it be on the PS3 as well.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I think that Capcom should start remaking Resident Evil 2 for PS3. They can put it on the Wii but please let it be on the PS3 as well.

haha you do realise it would be on 360 if anything, that's the dominate gaming console, the most popular, I mean it would go on PS3 as well but you have to include the 360 in there, it's just not possible for it to be on PS3/Wii only.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Kazenji
The Darkside Chronicles Resident Evil 2 Gameplay

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/videogames/553
Hmm.. Not too shabby.

Alpha Centauri
Not bad.

-AC

Impediment
I'll definitely have to blind buy this. A lot of people dissed RE: TUC, but I loved it. I have similar expectations for this installment.

Scythe
Neat.

-Pr-
never been much in to rail shooters bar time crisis, but that doesn't look all that bad...

Nemesis X
I'll never understand why they can't have rail shooters multiplatform. Resident Evil Dead Aim is sort of a rail shooter and it's on the PS2.

General Kaliero
I'll never understand why they can't have rail shooters multiplatform. Resident Evil Dead Aim is sort of a rail shooter and it's on the PS2.
Because it's better with Wii controls. It's made for Wii controls.

Peach

Come on, now, haven't you played railshooters in the arcade? They kick ass with lightguns, so much more than with a regular controller. That sort of thing is perfect for the controls the Wii uses.

Also, I was under the impression that Dead Aim was a travesty of a game.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Because it's better with Wii controls. It's made for Wii controls.

If the RE fans that don't have a Wii are lucky, Darkside Chronicles may go multiplatform in the future. Dead Space Extraction for example is a rail shooter made for the Wii and yet the producers at Comic-Con 09 announced that it may go multiplatform.

General Kaliero
If the RE fans that don't have a Wii are lucky, Darkside Chronicles may go multiplatform in the future. Dead Space Extraction for example is a rail shooter made for the Wii and yet the producers at Comic-Con 09 announced that it may go multiplatform.
Did Umbrella Chronicles go multiplatform?

I rest my case.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
Come on, now, haven't you played railshooters in the arcade? They kick ass with lightguns, so much more than with a regular controller. That sort of thing is perfect for the controls the Wii uses.

Also, I was under the impression that Dead Aim was a travesty of a game.

Remember when the arcade controllers were made for Street Fighter IV on both PS3 and 360? Why can't Capcom just make controllers for railshooters on 360 and PS3 as well?

At least Dead Aim had some positive reviews.

Nemesis X
Did Umbrella Chronicles go multiplatform?

I rest my case.

Why do you have to crush people's dreams? sad

General Kaliero
Why do you have to crush people's dreams? sad
Simply being realistic, pal.

Peach
Remember when the arcade controllers were made for Street Fighter IV on both PS3 and 360? Why can't Capcom just make controllers for railshooters on 360 and PS3 as well?

At least Dead Aim had some positive reviews.

Because they don't want to and don't think it's necessary to do so? Why waste time and money creating new controllers when there's a system that has controls that would already work perfectly with no additions or modifications necessary, and is the top-selling system to boot?

Nemesis X
Because they don't want to and don't think it's necessary to do so? Why waste time and money creating new controllers when there's a system that has controls that would already work perfectly with no additions or modifications necessary, and is the top-selling system to boot?

The more systems the game is on, the higher the fan rate. Capcom should care about its fans and it is but when the heck will it get through their thick skulls that not every RE fan owns a Wii?

You don't have to be too realistic.

Peach
If they're looking for new fans, though...then the system with the most sales is the best place to start.

General Kaliero
The more systems the game is on, the higher the fan rate. Capcom should care about its fans and it is but when the heck will it get through their thick skulls that not every RE fan owns a Wii?

You don't have to be too realistic.
The more systems the game is on, the higher the cost of developing a game. Especially since on the other systems, graphics-obsessed fans will demand what would be an entirely new HD build. It's like making the game over again, and costs money, time and manpower. It's just not worth it.

Nemesis X
If they're looking for new fans, though...then the system with the most sales is the best place to start.

I thought it was the 360 that made the most sales since it's the one winning the console wars.

Peach
The more systems the game is on, the higher the cost of developing a game. Especially since on the other systems, graphics-obsessed fans will demand what would be an entirely new HD build. It's like making the game over again, and costs money, time and manpower. It's just not worth it.

That, too.

I thought it was the 360 that made the most sales since it's the one winning the console wars.

Umm...no. The Wii outsold the 360 well over a year ago.

Nemesis X

Goddang it!

Peach
Goddang it!

...seriously? You didn't realize that?

And I was a bit off in my estimate. The Wii outsold the 360 by about September 2007 - before the system was even a year old.

Nemesis X

Capcom has enough money to fool around with whatever it is they please. They could've easily made this multiplatform but instead they're making themselves look like Nintendo's BFF.

General Kaliero
Capcom has enough money to fool around with whatever it is they please. They could've easily made this multiplatform but instead they're making themselves look like Nintendo's BFF.
It's not about having money, it's about turning a profit. Do you understand how business works?

Nemesis X
It's not about having money, it's about turning a profit. Do you understand how business works?

You're a Wii owner right? So tell me, if you weren't a Wii owner, how would you react about this game being a Wii exclusive?

General Kaliero
You're a Wii owner right? So tell me, if you weren't a Wii owner, how would you react about this game being a Wii exclusive?
It's a good business model. The Wii has heavy market saturation, so they've got a huge potential audience. Focusing on a single console instead of dumbing it down to fit all systems means a better play experience in the final product.

I'm not an insane, rabid RE fan, so one single game wouldn't persuade me to buy a Wii, but something like this, that looks enjoyable and fun, would certainly be a contributing factor towards deciding the purchase.

Nemesis X
A Wii is like $200 right?

General Kaliero
A Wii is like $200 right?
Provided you can find a place with Wiis in stock, around $250 seems to be the basic price for a system/game bundle.

Ushgarak
Obviously, the Wii being light-gun friendly is a big help here.

But that's not the only reason why these games have come to Wi only, and proven to be better than many would have expected. Umbrella Chronicles really was surprisingly good (within certain common sense limits, of course), and so, apparently, was the recent House of the Dead: Overkill and I understand a Deadspace game is doing the same thing on Wii now.

It's because on-rails games are system-efficient. The Wii is not very powerful and cannot handle fully open games. It can handle them on-rails.

Obvuously the other systems can too- but the point is this. Developers do not WANT to limit themselves to rail games if they don't have to. On other systems they don't have to. Rail games are kinda yesterday's thing.

And so you end up with a situation where, by being less powerful, the Wii actually becomes the best platform to extend the concept of what you can do with an on-rails shooter- in exactly the same way that the DS has seen good quality sprite-based platform games like the continuing Castlevania series or, (with some quasi 3d), New Super Mario Bros. You can't make it free-form, you can't make the graphics hi-res and all that... but what you can do is try and find ways of simply making it a better game.

Any other system COULD do sprite-based platformers... but no-one wants to leave so much of the tech laying unused and fallow like that. The games are good games that any system could do, but only DS has them.

So it is here. Any system COULD have on-rails shooters, but no-one really wants to do them on systems that can do more, technologically speaking. On the Wii, that's the limit, and people have made what they can of it.

So as I say, the DS had already showed it- sometimes, a system's technological limitations actually encourage people to do decent stuff that otherwise would not have been done.

Of course, those same limitations also means that lots of stuff is NOT on them either, so owners of other consoles can't really complain.

Scythe
That, too.

I bought one! Haha!

Nemesis X
Because of this game, I'm actually trying to buy a Wii but it's gonna take some time to get one.

Ridley_Prime
Sounds good. Might as well get Umbrella Chronicles too while you're at it. stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Sounds good. Might as well get Umbrella Chronicles too while you're at it. stick out tongue

Here, here.

Nemesis X

and Resident Evil Archives and Dead Space Extraction.

Neo Darkhalen
and Resident Evil Archives and Dead Space Extraction.

And the Resident evil remake, and Resident evil 4.

Nemesis X
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/07/darkaideboxsmall.jpg

The shadowy figure is either Chris or Wesker.

Neo Darkhalen
A new trailer and of course a new woman enters the RE universe.

http://www.destructoid.com/who-is-this-mysterious-lady-in-resident-evil-dc--145033.phtml

Ridley_Prime
The shadowy figure is either Chris or Wesker.
Or possibly the new lady that Neo just revealed..

Interesting stuff.

Nemesis X
Or possibly the new lady that Neo just revealed..

The shadow is in the shape of a guy if you can look closely.

Neo Darkhalen
A new section of the game has been revealed, basically RES 5 but with Zombies instead of Plagas.

http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-the-darkside-chronicles-gets-shanty-148206.phtml

Neo Darkhalen
Bpf6UY9rNkI
BC9BKvq5vcU

The new campaign.

Ushgarak
It looks good, though Dead Space has already raised the bar a bit here. Hopefully Darkside will meet it.

Ms.Marvel
krausers arms. sick

Ridley_Prime
Both videos have been removed by the user. sad

Neo Darkhalen
Both videos have been removed by the user. sad

Neo Darkhalen
I wonder how long this will last: the first 20 mins of the new mission in DC.

Some spoilers abound so don't watch if you don't want to see some of the upcoming foes (save from Zombies of course) as well as a few plot details I suppose.

http://www.destructoid.com/videos/tgs-09-the-first-twenty-minutes-of-re-dc-s-new-scenario-150062.phtml&t=video&nowplaying=Zombie

Nemesis X
I wonder how long this game will be. Hopefully not short. I would like it to be as long as RE2 and Code Veronica combined (since both of the old versions were pretty long).

Scythe
Want this.

Ridley_Prime
Now I have mixed feelings on this game.

rks3YmOnseU

Nemesis X
Now I have mixed feelings on this game.

rks3YmOnseU

That trailer looks awesome. That was a strange monster at the end and is it just me or did Wesker's head look smaller?

Good thing I Pre-Ordered this game now not only will I get the game but a free Zombie T-Shirt as well smile

Ridley_Prime
Not sure, but I think I saw Nemesis in the trailer too, or something that looked real similar.

Nemesis X
Not sure, but I think I saw Nemesis in the trailer too, or something that looked real similar.

I wish I can believe that but we all know Nemesis never appeared in RE2 although RE2 does take place the same time as RE3 and it would be interesting seeing Nemesis chasing Leon Kennedy around but that will never happen unfortunately.

What the heck was that monster at the end of the trailer? If I didn't know any better, I'd say it's probably that drug lord Leon and Krauser are after and I won't be surprised if I hit the mark right there.

Neo Darkhalen
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/experience-the-darkside/57808

Best trailer ever, watch it to the end, just watch and see what happens.

PS: Aim for the head.

Ridley_Prime
Epic... I love the effects of the trailer.

And lol @ Krauser saying "Are you okay?" to a zombie... xD

Neo Darkhalen
Epic... I love the effects of the trailer.

And lol @ Krauser saying "Are you okay?" to a zombie... xD

It really is, I loved it.

And yeah that was pretty insane hahaha xD at least he has the excuse that he's never seen one before. :P

Nemesis X
lol @ Krauser saying "Are you okay?" to a zombie... xD

I think it would've been more humorous if Krauser asked the zombie "Are you hungry?"

Also, didn't Claire ask a zombie if it was alright in Resident Evil 2?

Neo Darkhalen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srSItwYePZw&feature=player_embedded

Ridley_Prime
What the f**k? I found the bonus costume one more interesting.

86fmC2tLXtg

The trailers in general for this game need more Ada though.

Nemesis X
Leon and Krauser's Resident Evil 4 outfits look awesome, Claire's alternate outfit is hot, Steve Burnside as a cowboy is awful, and that red jacket Leon is wearing is okay I guess.

Nemesis X
MOTHER WESKER!!! mad

Gamestop told me the Darkside Chronicles will be out this Tuesday and they said they don't have it. They said they won't have it until tomorrow. I asked what the heck happened and they answered "The game will be put on shelves today and will be sold tomorrow." I then asked why they didn't tell me that before and they said "Well that's the day we told you we'll have it." I told them they could've said that before because I was looking forward to buying it today. Now I have to wait tomorrow!

I tell you, Gamestop can be sometimes stupid. They could've said the day they're gonna sell. What the heck did they think I was saying when I asked them "When will you have the game?" Morons.

-Pr-
MOTHER WESKER!!! mad

Gamestop told me the Darkside Chronicles will be out this Tuesday and they said they don't have it. They said they won't have it until tomorrow. I asked what the heck happened and they answered "The game will be put on shelves today and will be sold tomorrow." I then asked why they didn't tell me that before and they said "Well that's the day we told you we'll have it." I told them they could've said that before because I was looking forward to buying it today. Now I have to wait tomorrow!

I tell you, Gamestop can be sometimes stupid. They could've said the day they're gonna sell. What the heck did they think I was saying when I asked them "When will you have the game?" Morons.

you're complaining because you had to wait one extra day? erm

Nemesis X
Originally posted by -Pr-
you're complaining because you had to wait one extra day? erm

I've been looking forward to this game eversince it was first announced and I thought I was finally gonna get it today but sadly not. If you were a Resident Evil fan, you would understand. sad

-Pr-
I've been looking forward to this game eversince it was first announced and I thought I was finally gonna get it today but sadly not. If you were a Resident Evil fan, you would understand. sad

i am a resident evil fan.

Scythe
Hahaha

Nemesis X
Well I just got the game today and I gotta say, I'm very impressed with what Capcom has done with this. Umbrella Chronicles eat your heart out.

Scythe
Just got it for Xmas. Will review it after Im done with it.

Ridley_Prime
Same here. Am gonna wait 'till I play some more L4D2 with friends who just got the game for Christmas before I actually start playing RE: DC myself, though.

Since it's the Wii and all, I guess I'm kinda surprised that Darkside Chronicles actually has teh co-op mode. Look forward to playing that with someone in the future.

Nemesis X
At first I thought the Cloverfield-style camera would be a good thing but I was wrong. Because of the screen shaking like a mad British nanny, it's hard trying to hit the weak spots on some of the bosses. I prefer a challenge but even I can tell the difference between a challenge and frustration and the camera is frustration.

Other than the camera, everything else appears to be good although the way they altered the story in RE2 and Veronica in Darkside Chronicles may confuse some fans to those games. Like for example I never recalled Alexia being the one who killed her brother Alfred

Ridley_Prime
At first I thought the Cloverfield-style camera would be a good thing but I was wrong. Because of the screen shaking like a mad British nanny, it's hard trying to hit the weak spots on some of the bosses. I prefer a challenge but even I can tell the difference between a challenge and frustration and the camera is frustration.
I guess you may have a point, but it still wasn't that hard... *just played the game from start to finish after not touching the box since it was opened on Christmas*

My main problem was sometimes not being able to react fast enough to pick up the items/ammo/gold laying around, but since it's a typical rail shooter, I can forgive the whole camera style that was involved.

The main con about the game for me was that it didn't really cover up Leon's past with Krauser (among other things) as much as I was hoping it would...
And Manuela is just an annoying character for most of the game until she helps you against her fool of a father.

All and all though, good game, but not really quite what I was expecting... And once again, poor Steve.

Ridley_Prime
Oh.. I wasn't aware that there were two bonus missions with Krauser which you could unlock at first. *just played 'em after discovering on gamefaqs* They're ridiculously hard too compared to the rest of the game, even on Very Easy.

Apparently it's the same as the last two levels of the game, but with internal dialogue from Krauser during gameplay and cutscenes, showing how obsessed he becomes with the virus and how he wants that power for himself, especially after one of his arms gets critically injured, which then he secretly turns to Wesker to become stronger after becoming useless to the army and considers Leon a coward for wanting to wipe out the virus completely... Typical.

Scythe
Oh.. I wasn't aware that there were two bonus missions with Krauser which you could unlock at first. *just played 'em after discovering on gamefaqs* They're ridiculously hard too compared to the rest of the game, even on Very Easy.

Apparently it's the same as the last two levels of the game, but with internal dialogue from Krauser during gameplay and cutscenes, showing how obsessed he becomes with the virus and how he wants that power for himself, especially after one of his arms gets critically injured, which then he secretly turns to Wesker to become stronger after becoming useless to the army and considers Leon a coward for wanting to wipe out the virus completely... Typical.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- you spoiled it for me, haha. RAAAAAGE!

I heard about the extra missions, and athough I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Scythe
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- you spoiled it for me, haha. RAAAAAGE!

I heard about the extra missions, and athough I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot.
Yeah, I did too, except for the repetitiveness of the bosses and what not (aim for the head!). Steve was awesome though.

Sorry about the spoilers btw, but with how Krauser was in RE4, it really shouldn't be a surprise that he would think like that. stick out tongue
And for the extra missions, you just have to beat the last level in under 10 minutes... Easier said than done. I had to spam most of my grenades to beat the boss extra fast after a couple failed attempts.

Scythe
Yeah, I did too, except for the repetitiveness of the bosses and what not (aim for the head!). Steve was awesome though.

Sorry about the spoilers btw, but with how Krauser was in RE4, it really shouldn't be a surprise that he would think like that. stick out tongue
And for the extra missions, you just have to beat the last level in under 10 minutes... Easier said than done. I had to spam most of my grenades to beat the boss extra fast after a couple failed attempts.

For a Wii game, I love the way the game looks, it's pretty amazing.

I never played RE4 though, so I was like, OH SHI-!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.